Champions League 24/25 | Matchday 2: October 1-2

Arsenal are good at what they do, but my god have they turned into a bit of a bore. All the pace and excitement and chaos of the side 2 seasons ago giving way to power and solidity and set pieces - yawn. Benitez ball with better packaging.

Best thing about the new format is teams like city won’t play the same awful team twice which is a guaranteed 6 pts

Arsenal a very very pedestrian team without Odegaard. Proper boring team. Zero creativity.

Arsenal a very very pedestrian team without Odegaard. Proper boring team. Zero creativity.
That’s not aloud to be an excuse. We got no sympathy last season for having a full defence injured for most of it.

Maybe it's just me Football overall has become boring. This Sunday arsenal city would be puke worthy.

I've been thinking the same lately. WC 22 was a bit of a chore to watch in the early rounds but the Euros and Olympic football were much worse. Internationals are just not great anyways

As far as club football goes i'm not as excited for united matches as I used to be. I blame Ten Hag and years of false dawns, and maybe we are over saturated with football like the other poster mentioned. The players sometimes seem to be going through the motions too

I've been thinking the same lately. WC 22 was a bit of a chore to watch in the early rounds but the Euros and Olympic football were much worse. Internationals are just not great anyways

As far as club football goes i'm not as excited for united matches as I used to be. I blame Ten Hag and years of false dawns, and maybe we are over saturated with football like the other poster mentioned. The players sometimes seem to be going through the motions too
Irrespective of how crap we are I feel.overall football has become boring. I used to look forward to these CL games but now most of the games involving big sides are crap to watch.

It's criminal that Raya isn't really put in the same conversation as Alisson and Ederson. The Premier League has the 3 best goalkeepers in the world. And that includes Raya as part of the trio

Some clown sent that in to BBC live text.

Raya is absolute bobbins, it was a shit penalty anyway. He only took the number 1 spot off Ramsdale because he's Peps Spanish friend.

Would love to know what Keown said before the game. Because he's now making out this draw at Atalanta to be a great tactical achievement.

meant to say he isn't a great dribbler for someone who you would want to play as a winger, in case a team thought to play him there. He's more of a hit and run dribbler, of course he has skill but don't think he has the level of skill to get past multiple players under pressure consistently.

He's certainly a great dribbler by a right back's standard but his other qualities aren't fit for a traditional right back, or the modern right back that plays inside as well.

Yeah, he has a pretty unique role in world football and is a classic one on one player who isn't particularly great at going past multiple defenders or playing in the pockets. I think his tactical role makes for a pretty interesting topic. Lots of fans are missing the classic wingers of old who beat a fullback on the outside and put in a cross/cut back and Frimpong is doing exactly that in a very modern system. Maybe they'll be back quicker than many expected.

That being said, I think he'd be worth the risk for the quoted prices, even in a more "traditional" fullback role.

That’s not aloud to be an excuse. We got no sympathy last season for having a full defence injured for most of it.

Believe me, I’m not here to provide excuses for Arsenal. It’s just a fact that outside of Odegaard they have very very very little creativity in the team.

SKY in an effort to hype up Arsenal v Man City this weekend they have labelled Arteta as tactical genius. He's far from that and I bet that game won't live up to it's hype.

Irrespective of how crap we are I feel.overall football has become boring. I used to look forward to these CL games but now most of the games involving big sides are crap to watch.

I totally agree as I also really struggled to keep my interest up in the CL last season

Some clown sent that in to BBC live text.

Raya is absolute bobbins, it was a shit penalty anyway. He only took the number 1 spot off Ramsdale because he's Peps Spanish friend.
Did you not watch Ramsdale against you on the weekend? Raya is head and shoulders above him

SKY in an effort to hype up Arsenal v Man City this weekend they have labelled Arteta as tactical genius. He's far from that and I bet that game won't live up to it's hype.
It will be dogshit like the other Pep-Arteta games. Both teams will respect each other and just wait for the other to make a mistake, passing side to side.

There is far too much football on, actually wouldn't mind a proper strike from the players to take a break/reset. The people who run football think 'oh the fans want more and more' but a lot of people I talk to are completely burnout themselves to follow it the same way as before. Oversaturation.

There is far too much football on, actually wouldn't mind a proper strike from the players to take a break/reset. The people who run football think 'oh the fans want more and more' but a lot of people I talk to are completely burnout themselves to follow it the same way as before. Oversaturation.
More than that I feel football has become like a game of chess. All the boring tactical talks, xg, xga, high press , low press etc etc. It feels like players are instructed to play like robots with little flair.

I think Bundesliga will take a hit in the coefficient table this season. The extra participating team means wins and draws achieve less points.

It depends how the 5th team (Dortmund, 5th in Bundesliga) does though. They have an easy calendar and won away vs pot2 team yesterday.
Serie A will take a hit for sure due to the extra partecipating team: Bologna that yesterday failed to win the only easy fixture they have in the schedule and will most likely finish outside top24.

I think La Liga and EPL will get the extra-spot not because the extra german partecipating team but because I don't think Hoffenheim, Heidheneim and Frankfurt will go very far in the UEL/Conference, or at least I believe they'll perform worse than Tottenham/United/Chelsea or Sociedad/Betis and Nico Williams' Athletic

Believe me, I’m not here to provide excuses for Arsenal. It’s just a fact that outside of Odegaard they have very very very little creativity in the team.
That’s true. They should have focused on that in the summer instead of improving an already solid defence

Best thing about the new format is teams like city won’t play the same awful team twice which is a guaranteed 6 pts
They still play two pot 4 teams though, so the guaranteed 6 points just comes against 2 different sides instead.

The biggest upside is that pot 1 teams have to play two games against other pot 1 teams, whereas previously they'd have avoided each other entirely.