Catalonia referendum| Catalonia declares independence from Spain

I'm in Bilbao. In the last few minutes, everyone has come out onto their balconies or hanging out of their windows banging pans. Something to do with the events in Catalonia, I presume?

Anyone understand the local customs?!
That's a sign of protest.

Yes, some basques wants the independence as well so we sort of feel some mutual empathy
I saw the solidarity march yesterday, there were thousands on the streets in support, which is something you get in England. Banging pans out of the windows is new to me though!

Just been hearing 10 minutes of constant, booming fireworks in Madrid. Apparently it's a firework show at a nearby park, nevertheless, poor day to go ahead with it.

They can't do anything, like I said earlier other countries have the same fears than Spain. For example the south of France isn't exactly fond of Paris.

I know why they can´t do anything, because then Spain would say the same with north italy, or north italy with south france and etc...

They are all from a club and they will not betray each other, but is shameful that even in this events nothing it will be done. EU made change the spanish constitution like about 6-7 years ago (?) because of the crisis. Of course now they will not pressure to change it to make a referendum legal

I saw the solidarity march yesterday, there were thousands on the streets in support, which is something you get in England. Banging pans out of the windows is new to me though!

I know, lots they support us. And as a guy that travelled in more than 60 countries and lived in 8, yu don´t know how many message of support I receive. The only that they think that they did it right are ome spanish.

The pot banging I think it started with the 15-M movement few years ago, but not sure. A way to protest. Had been happening in catalonia the lasst 10 days at 22:00 everyday

A Valencian girl I know gets angry if I call her Spanish, and says that he is Catalan, but know other people from Valencia who feel Spanish, or somewhere in the middle.

We don't know that. Spain prefers to pretend that the problem doesn't exist.

You've mistaken me for an oracle, but no, I don't think that it will be.

We do know that the independent parties claimed that the 2016 elections were the most legitimate way to get sort of a "referendum" and sold the election like that.

The Yes parties got 49% of the votes
The rest got 51%
1.800.000 (34%) Catalans abstained

They said that the 51% wasn't a "no" vote and kept ahead, today was another referendum (1 year later) rushed by 73 votes in the parlament (for less important things you need at least 90) and with a warning that a yes could trigger a unilateral independency in 48 hours.

We can argue about how the Spanish government has treated this problem and today's response (awful and enough to resign and call for general elections in any normal country) but the Catalan politics have been snakes that tried to get away with something reprobable by disguising it of "democracy" because an ballot doesn't hurt anything.

Just been hearing 10 minutes of constant, booming fireworks in Madrid. Apparently it's a firework show at a nearby park, nevertheless, poor day to go ahead with it.

Why not? they won the war against all odds with the mighty catalan army

I know why they can´t do anything, because then Spain would say the same with north italy, or north italy with south france and etc...

They are all from a club and they will not betray each other, but is shameful that even in this events nothing it will be done. EU made change the spanish constitution like about 6-7 years ago (?) because of the crisis. Of course now they will not pressure to change it to make a referendum legal
There are no separatist feelings in north Italy. Sure, there are some people who blame 'terroni' for everything (at the moment, the blame is focused in the emigrants though), but in a hypothetical referendum, 'No' vote would easily win.

No idea about South France, to be fair. I think only Spain, UK and Belgium have serious separatist problems.

What is going on there? Franco seems to be back maybe they were right after all..

We do know that the independent parties claimed that the 2016 elections were the most legitimate way to get sort of a "referendum" and sold the election like that.

The rest got 51%

They said that the 51% wasn't a "no" vote and kept ahead, today was another referendum (1 year later) rushed by 73 votes in the parlament (for less important things you need at least 90) and with a warning that a yes could trigger a unilateral independency in 48 hours.

We can argue about how the Spanish government has treated this problem and today's response (awful and enough to resign and call for general elections in any normal country) but the Catalan politics have been snakes that tried to get away with something reprobable by disguising it of "democracy" because an ballot doesn't hurt anything.

Again, and I posted before, that is a lie

48% wass yes
42% was no

10% they said explicitely that they shouldnt be counted as Yes or No.

Argument dismissed

What is going on there? Franco seems to be back maybe they were right after all..

Well, madrid won 2 champions in a row...the last time that happened he was alive :p

The rest got 51%

Condemning Rajoy and Spanish government, doesn't necessarily mean that Catalan government have been on the right here. Spain should have allowed them to make a referendum though (with clear instructions on the percentage of people who must vote in the referendum to be valid, and the percentage of 'Yes' vote for it to be valid, in addition to time and the procedures for the eventual divorce, if it happens).

Thing is, Spain acted like idiots here. If they didn't act like the problem doesn't exist and intimidate Catalans, the 'No' would have likely win.

And while it isn't clear what is the percentage of YES and NO, it is clear that the vast majority of Catalan people, want a referendum. Which Spain doesn't allow them to have.

I know, lots they support us. And as a guy that travelled in more than 60 countries and lived in 8, yu don´t know how many message of support I receive. The only that they think that they did it right are ome spanish.

The pot banging I think it started with the 15-M movement few years ago, but not sure. A way to protest. Had been happening in catalonia the lasst 10 days at 22:00 everyday
Makes sense now, thanks. It feels odd as an outsider, as obviously being pro people's right to independence in general, it's probably not my place to get involved. Politics in the Basque country is a tricky subject anyway.

There are no separatist feelings in north Italy. Sure, there are some people who blame 'terroni' for everything (at the moment, the blame is focused in the emigrants though), but in a hypothetical referendum, 'No' vote would easily win.

No idea about South France, to be fair. I think only Spain, UK and Belgium have serious separatist problems.
South france easy win to remain in France. Like 15 yearss ago catalonia was easy remain too...But everything changes as we can see, I am just saying in an hipotetical scenario

I'm in Bilbao. In the last few minutes, everyone has come out onto their balconies or hanging out of their windows banging pans. Something to do with the events in Catalonia, I presume?

Anyone understand the local customs?!
Hopefully it is a sign of solidarity with catalans.

Makes sense now, thanks. It feels odd as an outsider, as obviously being pro people's right to independence in general, it's probably not my place to get involved. Politics in the Basque country is a tricky subject anyway.

Everybody should be allowed to give their opinion, with at the same time the willing to learn. There is no wrong in that. I like to learn things like the ones that North italy would mostly say no to independence.

As long as there is respect, we can both learn from each other in different topics

For what I read (maybe biaised), scratches for compensate the 700 injured, some badly

Can you indicate some catalan newspapers? Kinda sick of reading El Pais and El Mundo.

for me, madrid can win the champions league 10 years in a row and beating 10-0 to barcelona for what it matters. Is the difference between you and me. You laugh at blooded people, you trivialize this political problem to "oh, FCB will not play in Laliga" as I would care a big shit
Listen I've bit my tongue long enough but you're an idiot. You can report me if you want, but you're an absolute paranoid idiot.

Roughly half identify as British, the other half as Irish. Hence the conflict.
I’d imagine those who identify as British don’t feel like they have had their Irish identity compromised. I’m sure all Irish born people feel Irish.

92-93% for yes.

The referendum had been compromised. Not only for malfuncioning but because the possible No vote got scared, of course they are willing to go voting but not with this police brutallity

Is completely disregardable

Listen I've bit my tongue long enough but you're an idiot. You can report me if you want, but you're an absolute paranoid idiot.

I wont report you, you are the one that disqualifies yourself. You laughed at a bloodied guy, and that is a fact and your post is a proof. If you don´t like the truth about yourself you are the only one to blame. Change

Catalan politics tried to get away with something reprobable by disguising it of "democracy" because an ballot doesn't hurt anything.

It's a huge misunderstanding that getting to 50+% in a singular referendum gives democratic legitimacy to the cause. A referendum can only be the end of a long process for such an important decision and in itself it's not enough especially when the electorate is fairly split. Those who want independence try to gain a majority when having a simple majority is not enough.

Yet non of those things justify the responds from the central government. The central government sabotaged a more productive process and pushed them towards a more extreme responses.

:lol: They are such posers.

Fakers too, always trying to make stuff up.

22154205_1603589689692464_5830247689631202688_n.jpg

I am a paranoid idiot....yeah

I wont report you, you are the one that disqualifies yourself. You laughed at a bloodied guy, and that is a fact and your post is a proof. If you don´t like the truth about yourself you are the only one to blame. Change
I am a paranoid idiot....yeah
Can you even read spanish? Troll.

@decorativeed, can you post pictures of Bilbao atm?
At the moment it's really quiet, and has been for most of the afternoon and evening (except for when the match was on). There are lots of buildings/apartments around the city with Catalan flags draped outside the windows and yesterday the streets were full of men, women, children and their dogs matching with both Basque and Catalan flags held high. Photos from my vantage point wouldn't do it justice.

It's a huge misunderstanding that getting to 50+% in a singular referendum gives democratic legitimacy to the cause. A referendum can only be the end of a long process for such an important decision and in itself it's not enough especially when the electorate is fairly split. Those who want independence try to gain a majority when having a majority is not enough.

Yet non of those things justify the responds from the central government. The central government sabotaged a more productive process and pushed them towards a more extreme responses.

It was a enough for norway, or UK or quebec. But no, catalonia is different has to be 66% and all the spain has to vote. Let´s make it different than the whole rest of history

At the moment it's really quiet, and has been for most of the afternoon and evening (except for when the match was on). There are lots of buildings/apartments around the city with Catalan flags draped outside the windows and yesterday the streets were full of men, women, children and their dogs matching with both Basque and Catalan flags held high. Photos from my vantage point wouldn't do it justice.
Ok, no problem. Just wanted to hear what the situation was.

Could we have a referendum about @Vato? Does he prefer cornflakes over cornflakes? Yay or nay?