Carabao Cup 2024/25 | Round three | 24-25 Sep

Tired of winning or something?
What like we did last year? Or in 2021/22? We haven't had an away draw since before Covid in a competition that gives you a great opportunity to go to grounds/places United rarely play, it's fecking boring playing at OT every round.

Couple of Barnsley fans banged one in. I also remember them knocking us out of the FA Cup many years ago.
Not before one of them fell on his arse! The days of Ben Foster and Michael Owen starting every meaningless game!

What like we did last year? Or in 2021/22? We haven't had an away draw since before Covid in a competition that gives you a great opportunity to go to grounds/places United rarely play, it's fecking boring playing at OT every round.
Good for the club though. We make about £4M extra in ticket sales for every home game (not to mention it increases the odds of getting to the next round, which leads to more potential home games).

Just getting the home draw was worth about as much as selling Pellestri or Mejbri. :lol:

Of course City, Pool and Arsenal get home ties and avoid each other. Can't make this up.
Yeah, turns out it was a pretty big advantage to be a Champions League or Europa club. You got a separate bowl where you couldn't draw each other! Funny how they snuck that one in. :)

Good for the club though. We make about £4M extra in ticket sales for every home game (not to mention it increases the odds of getting to the next round, which leads to more potential home games).

Just getting the home draw was worth about as much as selling Pellestri or Mejbri. :lol:
Not how it works in cup matches; after costs the Carabao split specifically is 45% to each team and 10% into the cup pool. I'm sure the ticket office said in a fans forum a year or two ago that there really isn't any great financial benefit to being at home in the Carabao.

I'm sure the ticket office said in a fans forum a year or two ago that there really isn't any great financial benefit to being at home in the Carabao.

We'll earn a lot more from playing the tie in front of 74'000 at Old Trafford than we would if the tie was being played in front of 23'000 at Oakwell.

We'll earn a lot more from playing the tie in front of 74'000 at Old Trafford than we would if the tie was being played in front of 23'000 at Oakwell.
With the 25% reduction in ticket prices, and the 55% going elsewhere, it'll equate to the weekly wages of a couple of players. I don't particularly care in truth, give me Barnsley away over Barnsley at home any day of the week.

We did play Newport County away

We did play Newport County away
I was referring to the Carabao specifically. We had Wigan, Newport & Forest last season in the FA Cup which were all decent nights out to be fair but no new grounds for me and that's what it's all about lets be honest. :lol:

Not how it works in cup matches; after costs the Carabao split specifically is 45% to each team and 10% into the cup pool. I'm sure the ticket office said in a fans forum a year or two ago that there really isn't any great financial benefit to being at home in the Carabao.
Ah fair enough, I didn't know about that rule. Still, 45% of the gate receipts at OT are probably £1.5M - £2M more than a tiny stadium like Barnsley. Good to know they split the gate receipts though; that's fairer.

From a team standpoint, we're also more likely to win at home (meaning future games and the corresponding 45% of receipts) and avoid having to have a couple travel days. I still think it's a lot better for the team overall.

Can anyone explain why the big 6 were kept apart? The only explanation I have seen has been that there are another two match days in Europe, and that some of the dates for those extra European matches clash with the Carabao cup dates. So how does keeping the teams in Europe away from each other in any way mitigate the above problem? I feel like I’m missing something, it’s a complete non sequitur.

Can anyone explain why the big 6 were kept apart? The only explanation I have seen has been that there are another two match days in Europe, and that some of the dates for those extra European matches clash with the Carabao cup dates. So how does keeping the teams in Europe away from each other in any way mitigate the above problem? I feel like I’m missing something, it’s a complete non sequitur.
The Carabao Cup games I think are played on two seperate weeks depending when teams are playing in Europe.

The Carabao Cup games I think are played on two seperate weeks depending when teams are playing in Europe.
Oh so if Utd for example are playing a non-European club, they’ll move the carabao cup game to a week when they aren’t playing in Europe. But if it was Utd v Arsenal and you could have a situation where both potential midweeks for the league cup were blocked by European fixtures. Makes sense now, ta.

Oh so if Utd for example are playing a non-European club, they’ll move the carabao cup game to a week when they aren’t playing in Europe. But if it was Utd v Arsenal and you could have a situation where both potential midweeks for the league cup were blocked by European fixtures. Makes sense now, ta.
Exactly. That is why they put the teams competing in Europe in a seperate pot so they couldn't draw each other.

I expect we'll make it much harder than it needs to be, but and a way to scrape through in the end.

Ah fair enough, I didn't know about that rule. Still, 45% of the gate receipts at OT are probably £1.5M - £2M more than a tiny stadium like Barnsley. Good to know they split the gate receipts though; that's fairer.

From a team standpoint, we're also more likely to win at home (meaning future games and the corresponding 45% of receipts) and avoid having to have a couple travel days. I still think it's a lot better for the team overall.
In fairness Oakwell is bigger than 3 or 4 PL grounds I think but I take the point. Barnsley is only about 50 odd miles from OT, I think the players would be ok travelling that far to be fair. It'd just be nice to have a night out in the competition rather than paying to watch us play another League One club at OT where the crowd will be dead.

Exactly. That is why they put the teams competing in Europe in a seperate pot so they couldn't draw each other.

The only issue would have been if Man Utd or Spurs were drawn to play a Champions League club, there is no reason 2 of the Champions League sides couldnt have played each other, no reason Man Utd couldnt have draw Spurs, and no reason Chelsea couldnt have drawn any if the other 6 clubs that are in Uefa Comps.

Last edited:
In fairness Oakwell is bigger than 3 or 4 PL grounds I think but I take the point. Barnsley is only about 50 odd miles from OT, I think the players would be ok travelling that far to be fair. It'd just be nice to have a night out in the competition rather than paying to watch us play another League One club at OT where the crowd will be dead.
Yeah. Makes sense that the frequent match going fans would care about changing things up.

I assume even for short distances the team stays in a hotel right? They don't do any travel on the day of a game I'm guessing.

The only issue would have been if Man Utd or Spurs were drawn to play a Champions League club, there is no reason 2 of the Champions League sides couldnt have played each other, no reason Man Utd couldnt have draw Spurs, and no reason Chelsea couldnt have drawn any if the other 6 clubs that are in Uefa Comps.
Could've just given byes to the two EL clubs instead of creating this circus.

I was referring to the Carabao specifically. We had Wigan, Newport & Forest last season in the FA Cup which were all decent nights out to be fair but no new grounds for me and that's what it's all about lets be honest. :lol:

I want us to qualify to next stage with the least friction. Playing away there is always a chance of losing players due injuries or us getting hammered because we cant handle such atmospheres with our weak mentality. So, I would pass on the beautiful game and rather see us progress on all tournaments we are playing.

Jacob Devaney’s dad is Barnsley’s assistant manager. Would be pretty special to be able to give him his first team debut in this match. Probably won’t happen but one can dream.

I want us to qualify to next stage with the least friction. Playing away there is always a chance of losing players due injuries or us getting hammered because we cant handle such atmospheres with our weak mentality. So, I would pass on the beautiful game and rather see us progress on all tournaments we are playing.
We had three away draws in the FA Cup last season and went on to win the competition, while we had two home draws in the Carabao and were comprehensively beaten in the second of those. We also lose more players to injuries in training than we do in matches home, away or on the moon.

He should (but won't) play the youth and reserves in this, a CL place via a top 4 finish or through winning the EL must be the bare minimum to get another contract.

There was some inbred West Ham fan on Talkshite this morning who was literally losing his shit over the decision that no team playing in Europe could play another team playing in Europe in the 3rd round.

He was working himself up into a real frenzy about it. Probably because they got Liverpool, I'm sure he would have been delighted had they drawn a lower league side.

I kind of think there are rather more important things to get upset about than the League Cup draw.

We had three away draws in the FA Cup last season and went on to win the competition, while we had two home draws in the Carabao and were comprehensively beaten in the second of those. We also lose more players to injuries in training than we do in matches home, away or on the moon.

I didn’t like what I saw from the team v. Newport they had us on our toes for the most of the game until Bruno’s late goal. We had an unpleasing game v. Forest as well with Casemiro’s late winner. Both games would have been extra easy of they were played home.

We were having a very bad run coming to the Newcastle game we conceded 6 goals in a week from both City and Newcastle at home. I watch every United game and purposely missed both because I new the results with our form coming up to both and I’m sure you remember.