Carabao Cup 2022/23

Now after all this, need to make sure we win. Will be disappointing if we lose to Charlton. We might have a decent chance if we go to the semis and Newcastle and City both miraculously get knocked out.

Near the relegation zone in league one. No doubt will end up having the game of their lives against us.
Oh come on this is as close to a bye as you get at this stage of a national cup competition.
Start with the strongest side build a 2 goal lead and make some subs.
Edit - especially since we are at home

Near the relegation zone in league one. No doubt will end up having the game of their lives against us.

Crickey, they’re having it rough. I genuinely hadn’t heard that club’s name for about a decade, until last night when I saw their shootout and every pen was either hitting the post or blasted into orbit.

Probably the most boring draw possible. 7 home draws on the bounce is fecking ridiculous.

Assuming we beat Charlton and go into a 2 leg semi, we're heading for a big problem with fixtures if we manage to beat Barcelona. Not enough midweeks to fit them in.

I don't fear Newcastle.

Neither do I.
Obviously we need to take care of ourselves first and do a good, professional job against Charlton. Then hopefully Southampton can spring a surprise shock against City and we’ve got a semi final lineup that every single one of us would have dreamt of at the very start.

Possible but not as on the cards as some seem to think. A probable final 4 of United, City, Wolves and Newcastle. It’s like all of our bogey teams come at once.
True. Think we can see of wolves and Newcastle though. A Manchester final would be good.

We’re due a bit of luck. We usually draw the best teams in the first rounds. It’s normally city that have an easy walk to the final.

Provided we get through next round then would we have more chance of beating City in a two leg semi or one off final?

Provided we get through next round then would we have more chance of beating City in a two leg semi or one off final?
Good question. I think in a one of game whoever turns up and plays the best will win. In a 2 legged tie we could win 1 game by a goal or 2 and then get destroyed in the 2nd game and still go out.

It’s good that we’ve only got Charlton aswell with Bruno missing the next round. Couldn’t afford to have him missing a game against like say city.

It won’t. TV games for January have already been chosen by the broadcasters.
It won't.

United game will be Tuesday. City Wednesday.

United will be playing Friday, Tuesday, Saturday.
City will be playing Sunday, Wednesday, Saturday.
We play Friday 6th, Charlton play Saturday 7th, so hopefully we can play it on the Tuesday. City play on Sunday 8th, so their match will likely be on the Wednesday.

All four teams from the other two ties play on Saturday 7th, so they could be Tuesday or Wednesday. Probably two matches each night or three and one. Doubt there will be a Thursday match because a PL match would have to be moved.

It is possible that the City match will be moved to the Sunday - see the link here
https://www.manutd.com/en/news/deta...th-man-city-and-arsenal-confirmed-for-january

It is possible that the City match will be moved to the Sunday - see the link here
https://www.manutd.com/en/news/deta...th-man-city-and-arsenal-confirmed-for-january

It won’t the way the draw has turned out. If both United and City QF ties featured teams who were playing FA cup on Sunday and then league game the following Saturday, then they would’ve moved the league game to avoid both United and City having to play on Wednesday.

That didn’t happen here, in fact it couldn’t happen because City was the only team in the draw to have a Sunday fixture. That’s not by chance but because they take these kinds of logistics very carefully into consideration before moving games. They deliberately avoided putting more FA cup ties featuring potential Carabao QF teams on the Sunday.

They don’t reschedule games for the sake of it, only if they absolutely have to. In this case it’s very straightforward, United play Tuesday and City play Wednesday.

Excellent draw for us, really wanted City to get Newcastle away. Regardless City are winning this tournament, they love it and are clearly, by some distance, the best team left in it.
They will either knock us out in the semis or beat us in final…would prefer the first option. Was really hoping Liverpool would knock them out though to give us a chance of winning our first trophy in 6 years.

Excellent draw for us, really wanted City to get Newcastle away. Regardless City are winning this tournament, they love it and are clearly, by some distance, the best team left in it.
They will either knock us out in the semis or beat us in final…would prefer the first option. Was really hoping Liverpool would knock them out though to give us a chance of winning our first trophy in 6 years.
Oh well, it was good to participate..

Too much of a loser mentality especially with Ten Hag at the realm
If we get City in the semis I'll admit it'll be tough to beat them over two legs but anything can happen in one off finals. Don't rule out the lads playing outta their skin using that 6-3 loss as a motivator.

It won’t the way the draw has turned out. If both United and City QF ties featured teams who were playing FA cup on Sunday and then league game the following Saturday, then they would’ve moved the league game to avoid both United and City having to play on Wednesday.

That didn’t happen here, in fact it couldn’t happen because City was the only team in the draw to have a Sunday fixture. That’s not by chance but because they take these kinds of logistics very carefully into consideration before moving games. They deliberately avoided putting more FA cup ties featuring potential Carabao QF teams on the Sunday.

They don’t reschedule games for the sake of it, only if they absolutely have to. In this case it’s very straightforward, United play Tuesday and City play Wednesday.
You may well be right but how often have we seen ridiculous scheduling decisions by TV companies!!

Draw's have been fairly kind this year haven't they? Nice change of pace.

I know it's just the Carabao Cup and all that, but getting into a winning habit under ETH would be massive, in my opinion. We have a good shot at a final here.

Too much of a loser mentality especially with Ten Hag at the realm
If we get City in the semis I'll admit it'll be tough to beat them over two legs but anything can happen in one off finals. Don't rule out the lads playing outta their skin using that 6-3 loss as a motivator.

I simply do not have faith in the team against the likes of City yet (even Barcelona in the playoff games), hopefully that will change over time with better players brought in.
Our lack of a out and out goal scorer is also a massive worry for me. If we don’t keep a clean sheets I’m not that confident against any level of team, this being more so to do with the overall player quality than the managers.

I think we are one trophy away from having a massive weight lifted. Potential new owners, high quality signings in key positions and we can become a challenger again for sure. That’s what I’m pinning my future hopes on.

I simply do not have faith in the team against the likes of City yet (even Barcelona in the playoff games), hopefully that will change over time with better players brought in.
Our lack of a out and out goal scorer is also a massive worry for me. If we don’t keep a clean sheets I’m not that confident against any level of team, this being more so to do with the overall player quality than the managers.

I think we are one trophy away from having a massive weight lifted. Potential new owners, high quality signings in key positions and we can become a challenger again for sure. That’s what I’m pinning my future hopes on.
We'll very likely sign Gakpo to address the goalscoring issue and a RB in January surely those two signings give us a boost ahead of the cup competitions resuming?
Our Clean-Sheet record with Martinez/Varane is near on flawless. Granted it'll be tough without Licha in the first leg of the EL so let's hope we keep our heads over the water at the Nou Camp but there's still every reason to have faith in the boys

We won the tournament during the 'Worthington Cup' era, when it was derided as the Worthless Cup. Either side of that, Coca-Cola and Carling as far more famous brands just and better titles.

I know there was a Liverpool-Utd final in 2003, but I do think Mourinho was an important part of the competition being taken more seriously, with him viewing as the first opportunity to win silverware during his time at Chelsea rather than a distraction. It was cringeworthy when he tried to count Community Shields as trophies that he won though (I think Houllier was the first manager to do that, with him insisting that he won 5 trophies in 2001 and not 3).

I have to say that Man City - Liverpool games usually deliver in terms of entertainment. When was the last time there was boring game between the 2 teams? The 0-0 draw at Anfield back in early 2018/2019 maybe (the return fixture at the Etihad Stadium was brilliant)?