Carabao Cup 2022/23

They're not a day after. World cup final is a Sunday, no games on Monday.

Also on 2 team make the world Cup final, the majority others will be back much sooner
Third place play off on the Saturday too which is often forgotten about

It’s genuinely hilarious to watch non-championship watchers paint Burnley as a fearsome oppo, even though any team worth their salt would dispatch them with ease, stop being such bedwetters.
As someone who watches the Championship regularly, I disagree.
They are a good side, flying high with confidence and will be looking to prove a point and gain a premiership scalp.

Doesn't mean United shouldn't beat them, but they are a good footballing side.

They look to play it out from the back however, so a press similar to that shown against Villa will be the way to go.

As someone who watches the Championship regularly, I disagree.
They are a good side, flying high with confidence and will be looking to prove a point and gain a premiership scalp.

Doesn't mean United shouldn't beat them, but they are a good footballing side.

They look to play it out from the back however, so a press similar to that shown against Villa will be the way to go.

We should still win, but yeah I think a high flying Championship side will definitely come into a game with more form and confidence than a lower table Prem side who are struggling every week.

It will be interesting to see how we get on against Forest. I hope and would assume that we’ll play a second string team again full of young guns, although to be honest they’ve been more fun to watch in cup games so far than our first team players have been in quite a lot of our league games.

I didn’t want to draw Burnley under any circumstances, and I wouldn’t have minded a glamour time against Utd, Liverpool City. Generally speaking, I want to be drawn against teams in different divisions in cup ties.

I echo the comments that Burnley are a good footballing side. Their recruitment and playing style under Kompany is the polar opposite compared to how it was under Dyche. It’s almost as their strengths and weaknesses have been flipped around as well. If I didn’t hate them so much, I’d enjoy watching them.

They’ve completely dominated most of their games, although they’ve looked more vulnerable against ‘long ball teams’ and defending set pierces, as notably seen recently away to Sheffield Utd.

Draw must be rigged, no one can seriously expect people to swallow this tripe. City getting Chelsea and then Liverpool..? TV game sorted for post world cup anyway.

Draw must be rigged, no one can seriously expect people to swallow this tripe. City getting Chelsea and then Liverpool..? TV game sorted for post world cup anyway.

A random draw throwing up random outcomes - it's a disgrace!

Two days after the World Cup final.

Or if Liverpool play, the same fecking day as the World Club Cup final. :rolleyes: I know we won this and it's good to keep pulling away from United as the most trophy laden club in England, but this Mickey Mouse outfit and feck off. I hope Klopp still plays Bajetic and Doak.

The team for this will be interesting as we have so many players going to the world cup. Should be opportunities for Sancho and others though. On Sancho though - I hope he's doing ok. ETH says he's "ill" but it's been like that for 3 weeks so can't help but think there's more to it

Won't be an easy game given they are (currently) on form and will continue to play during the World Cup, whereas we might be a bit rusty and missing some players. Should go with a strong team given the break.

The Championship has a 4 week break after this weekend. They’ll only be having a 8-10 day head start in that regard. Plus we are playing at least one friendly in the week before this match so the fitness advantage they'll have will be minimal.

These aren’t going so a good opportunity to drill some patterns of play:

DDG
Bissaka - X - Lindelof - X
McT - Beek
Elanga - Sancho - Garnacho
Martial

All of Brazil, Argentina, France, Portugal, Holland, Denmark won’t be making the final 4 so we’ll have several more players back and fit for this game.

No excuses now. Win this and we have a favorable last 8 with only one tough team remaining.

The Championship has a 4 week break after this weekend. They’ll only be having a 8-10 day head start in that regard. Plus we are playing at least one friendly in the week before this match so the fitness advantage they'll have will be minimal.

These aren’t going so a good opportunity to drill some patterns of play:

DDG
Bissaka - X - Lindelof - X
McT - Beek
Elanga - Sancho - Garnacho
Martial

All of Brazil, Argentina, France, Portugal, Holland, Denmark won’t be making the final 4 so we’ll have several more players back and fit for this game.

No excuses now. Win this and we have a favorable last 8 with only one tough team remaining.

2, Newcastle have only lost 1 game this season

Or if Liverpool play, the same fecking day as the World Club Cup final. :rolleyes: I know we won this and it's good to keep pulling away from United as the most trophy laden club in England, but this Mickey Mouse outfit and feck off. I hope Klopp still plays Bajetic and Doak.

keep pulling away? There’s one trophy in it (if you include the charity shield you won in the summer). 67/66

keep pulling away? There’s one trophy in it (if you include the charity shield you won in the summer). 67/66

I was actually discounting charity shields from the totals as they are not proper competitions. You've won two more of those than us. So we're three real trophies ahead of you.

I was actually discounting charity shields from the totals as they are not proper competitions. You've won two more of those than us. So we're three real trophies ahead of you.

So what criteria are you deciding to use? Whichever gives you more of a lead? :lol:

So you didn’t include the 4/5 euro super cups you have then? As they don’t meet your criteria…

No, you're right. We should include charity shields. I'm ok with that now. :nervous: :lol:

To be fair the super cups don't really feel like real competitions either. Maybe we do need to win a few more cups to really pull ahead in the real comps, including the Mickey mouse.

We need a couple nations to get knocked out early. We don't have enough senior CBs or LBs. We might have to play Mengi if he's fit

2, Newcastle have only lost 1 game this season

Yes but they've benefited from not having European football and this comp starting relatively late. Think they'll fade away a bit once fixtures become more frequent and they have to juggle three competitions.

It will be interesting to see the strength of the City and Liverpool teams. City have virtually their whole squad away at the world cup bar Haaland and Mahrez. Liverpool have the likes of Salah, Thiago, Firmino, Robertson, Matip and Diaz not going. It should make Liverpool favourites.

It will be interesting to see the strength of the City and Liverpool teams. City have virtually their whole squad away at the world cup bar Haaland and Mahrez. Liverpool have the likes of Salah, Thiago, Firmino, Robertson, Matip and Diaz not going. It should make Liverpool favourites.

You'd imagine a lot will be eliminated a week or 2 before the game anyway, but City always rotate in this. Its just that their 2nd string is just as strong as their 1st

It will be interesting to see how we get on against Forest. I hope and would assume that we’ll play a second string team again full of young guns, although to be honest they’ve been more fun to watch in cup games so far than our first team players have been in quite a lot of our league games.

I didn’t want to draw Burnley under any circumstances, and I wouldn’t have minded a glamour time against Utd, Liverpool City. Generally speaking, I want to be drawn against teams in different divisions in cup ties.
I’ve no idea how Coops will play it. The consensus is that the team that beat Spuds last night was better then the one that beat Liverpool (taking into account how bad Spuds were). Most want that team to play Palace at the weekend. Add into that whether we go 3 at the back as in the champ last season? Will he favour players with Champ experience? We’ve got some team called United (never heard of ‘em) the week after so will he use it as a rehearsal after the break? I remember the fixture last year was a tasty one. It was the match that put us into the top 6 for the first time.

They're not a day after. World cup final is a Sunday, no games on Monday.

Also on 2 team make the world Cup final, the majority others will be back much sooner
I feel you're downplaying it a little. Whether or not they go all the way to the final, a lot of players will probably have gone through some intense games, in a drastically different climate, and could be exhausted physically and mentally (a lot of them already seem drained physically even before the WC). I think for teams reaching the quarters, players returning could take a while before being fully operational for their clubs (so this probably won't concern England :lol:).

I feel you're downplaying it a little. Whether or not they go all the way to the final, a lot of players will probably have gone through some intense games, in a drastically different climate, and could be exhausted physically and mentally (a lot of them already seem drained physically even before the WC). I think for teams reaching the quarters, players returning could take a while before being fully operational for their clubs (so this probably won't concern England :lol:).

Players missing games due to getting to the latter stages of world cups /Euro Championships always happens. It's usually at the beginning of the season, this year it'll be mid-season.

Players missing games due to getting to the latter stages of world cups /Euro Championships always happens. It's usually at the beginning of the season, this year it'll be mid-season.
With a much, much reduced timeframe than in previous competitions - so pretty much incomparable.

I mean, just taking the last Euros, the final was played on 11th July, and the PL began on the 13th August, over a month later. Dunno why you're downplaying this really, it's been obvious for ages this weird WC was gonna have an effect on leagues.

With a much, much reduced timeframe than in previous competitions - so pretty much incomparable.

I mean, just taking the last Euros, the final was played on 11th July, and the PL began on the 13th August, over a month later. Dunno why you're downplaying this really, it's been obvious for ages this weird WC was gonna have an effect on leagues.
Of course it's going to be different, we've know it would be for years. I'm sick of all the whinging about "too much football" really. There are plenty of reasons this world cup shouldn't be in Qatar (and in the Winter) but I don't care at all about this particula one.

I don't wanna hear a peep from Potter or Pep or any manager who is picking the same players every match, when they have 10+ players on the bench and in the stands getting paid millions to be part of the squad.

Of course it's going to be different, we've know it would be for years. I'm sick of all the whinging about "too much football" really. There are plenty of reasons this world cup shouldn't be in Qatar (and in the Winter) but I don't care at all about this particula one.
You're fully entitled to feel that way... but people pointing out some fixtures are insanely soon after the WC, and wondering about the state of players coming back from it, is a relevant point and how you feel about managers' turnover and "too much football" doesn't really matter.

You're fully entitled to feel that way... but people pointing out some fixtures are insanely soon after the WC, and wondering about the state of players coming back from it, is a relevant point and how you feel about managers' turnover and "too much football" doesn't really matter.

People just wanna moan about world cup and everything surrounding it.

Feels weird as feck that PL teams are back in action so soon after a WC.

It’s confusing me so much that I’m not sure if it’s because I’m sick and my headache is making the confusion worse or I’m actually in a weird dream.

Saints trail to Lincoln. Do they even have a new manager yet? Feels like half the league sacked their managers a week before the WC.

Saints trail to Lincoln. Do they even have a new manager yet? Feels like half the league sacked their managers a week before the WC.
Yeah appointed Luton’s manager before the break I think.

How the feck did Southampton miss literally 2 sitters in the last 3min? :lol: :lol: :wenger:

Last edited: