Bruno should never be captain again

It literally got instantly overturned because it was so ridiculous and was a straight red not a second yellow.

The first yellow tonight was never a yellow and the second one wouldn't have been given if Porto player didn't react that way
I forgot the first one was a straight red. You’re right, VAR should’ve caught that. But when you jump into a duel foot first so high as he did yesterday you’ll usually get a yellow - it was well deserved.

But he hasn't been our best player. He was great for the first two seasons. Since then he's been erratic at best. Can play great games and talented of course. Is in decline. I'd get rid of him, personally.
He doesn't lead by example. Is a petulant child on the pitch sometimes. Rival fans don't hate him because he's a great player. They hate him for other reasons. He's not captain material.
I agree - he should get credit for his service and work rate but a player with his attitude should never ever be captain. I hate the tendency to make the best player captain instead of the one with the right attitude and brains

He's been our best player consistently over a 4 year period, gives everything he's got every single game, has clearly played through pain and injury on multiple occasions and demonstrably loves the club and plays for the badge.

He's had a shit start to the season but some people's willingness to throw him under the bus is despicable. He's clearly still the right choice for captain.

Despite often being a bright spark in a very dull and ordinary team, he's never been Captain material. Bruno isn't a leader. He doesn't lead by example. He's just a simple hard working player capable of creative brilliance on occasion.

The problem is, he was the best of a bad bunch for his first 2 seasons and that's sort of made him the poster boy of our squad. They should all run around like Bruno. They should all be more like Bruno etc. When in reality - he's took the hardworking aspects out of his game and become quite the diva. He's constantly whinging, has terrible attitude and body language and the most damning part - the creative brilliance that set him apart has become less and less. He's replaced hard work and consistent performances with sloppy, inconsistent performances.

Making him Captain was such an error.

While he still has moments when he finds a pass no other in our squad could - they are so lacking and no longer justify his selection. He could get away with losing the ball here and there before because he always produced something to make up for it. Now he just losses the ball and throws his hands around.

He's been horrendous this season, absolutely awful.

To talk about his sending off against Porto in isolation - anyone trying to defend him has lost the plot. He's high, he's late, he's nowhere near the ball. It's so deserved. Why doesn't he try and head it? He cannot win that ball with his leg so high and the defender is always there.

Sums up his season so far. Awful

Whether the first yellow is bs or not (it is) going in head height with your foot is giving the referee who already booked you for a similar incident a decision to make.

Because you as a captain have already seen the gamesmanship be rewarded against you.

I personally don’t think he should be captain because he falls apart mentally when his back is against the wall, rather than the two incidents in recent games.

He’s been our most productive player in recent times, but is currently playing terribly.

Ive said this in another thread but please stop saying 'gave the referee a decision to make.'

The job of a referee is by definition to make decisions. Constantly. He had a decision to make when choosing to book him. Then again when the Porto player rolled around holding his face despite not being touched.

I forgot the first one was a straight red. You’re right, VAR should’ve caught that. But when you jump into a duel foot first so high as he did yesterday you’ll usually get a yellow - it was well deserved.

But the first yellow wasn't one. Bruno is having a terrible season, but let's not let refs off the hook. There's plenty to hammer Bruno for without adding terrible refs to it

Ive said this in another thread but please stop saying 'gave the referee a decision to make.'

The job of a referee is by definition to make decisions. Constantly. He had a decision to make when choosing to book him. Then again when the Porto player rolled around holding his face despite not being touched.
But it was the right call, it is as a yellow.

Already discussed this in a different thread but the second one against Antony was outrageous, gamesmanship exists and if Bruno flies in with his head and wipes him out, he doesn’t get carded and the referee doesn’t get conned, if you fly in boot up at head height and don’t get the ball, you have far more chance of being sent off for a second yellow.

He was never the captain this club needed. And lots on here are absolute hypocrites, always moaning about Maguire and thinking Bruno has the credentials. Maguire was actually a better solution even though not a long term captain material.

Despite often being a bright spark in a very dull and ordinary team, he's never been Captain material. Bruno isn't a leader. He doesn't lead by example. He's just a simple hard working player capable of creative brilliance on occasion.

The problem is, he was the best of a bad bunch for his first 2 seasons and that's sort of made him the poster boy of our squad. They should all run around like Bruno. They should all be more like Bruno etc. When in reality - he's took the hardworking aspects out of his game and become quite the diva. He's constantly whinging, has terrible attitude and body language and the most damning part - the creative brilliance that set him apart has become less and less. He's replaced hard work and consistent performances with sloppy, inconsistent performances.

While he still has moments when he finds a pass no other in our squad could - they are so lacking and no longer justify his selection. He could get away with losing the ball here and there before because he always produced something to make up for it. Now he just losses the ball and throws his hands around.

To talk about his sending off against Porto in isolation - anyone trying to defend him has lost the plot. He's high, he's late, he's nowhere near the ball. It's so deserved. Why doesn't he try and head it? He cannot win that ball with his leg so high and the defender is always there.

Could not have put it better myself - his attitude is so so wrong.

There was an instance prior to the sending off last night where the ball was coming down to him from height, he had his back to one of their oncoming midfielders. Before the ball had even reached him, and before the midfielder had made any contact with him, when Bruno - already predicting that he was going to get clattered- simply threw his hands to his head and went to ground looking for the free kick. That is not what I want to see from any United player, and certainly not from our captain.

I can’t believe people are talking about Porto playacting with a straight face!

Just picture the histrionics if it was Bruno going for a header and a Porto player had raised their foot?

He’d have rolled half way to Lisbon, clutching his face and screaming as if someone had his balls clamped to a meat grinder.

You live by the fake sword - you die by the fake sword.

Sometimes there are members who write up what you want to say much better than you ever could. This is a perfect example.

I can’t believe people are talking about Porto playacting with a straight face!

Just picture the histrionics if it was Bruno going for a header and a Porto player had raised their foot?

He’d have rolled half way to Lisbon, clutching his face and screaming as if someone had his balls clamped to a meat grinder.

You live by the fake sword - you die by the fake sword.
It's fair play as far as I'm concerned, certain teams from South of Europe are specialized in that. Bruno himself is a massive diver

It's fair play as far as I'm concerned, certain teams from South of Europe are specialized in that. Bruno himself is a massive diver

And we’ve been losing out to it forever. At what stage do you just realise it’s a thing that isn’t going to change about European football and learn to adapt?

But the first yellow wasn't one. Bruno is having a terrible season, but let's not let refs off the hook. There's plenty to hammer Bruno for without adding terrible refs to it
Doesn’t matter to me - he knew he had a yellow

Honestly, what's the fecking point of VAR if you can't even get a decision like that right? Its clear as day there was no contact.

There really isn't much wrong with what Fernandes did last night, at the worst he forgot he was on a yellow. We were losing by 1 goal with less than 10 mins left, he could have easily gotten a nick on the ball goalwards, it was a gamble worth taking. Whatever about his performances of late, I would want every player to take that chance in his position.

Bench him for a month or so. Try something else the 4231 and go from there. His clearly not able to full fill that role(number ten) anymore and the team doesn’t work without him excelling.

He seems like a rather good guy, but his antics on the field is atrocious and not captain worthy.

Are we saying he shouldn’t be captain because of the two questionable red cards recently? If so I completely disagree. Most of our captains in the PL era have been sent off for much stupider things.

If you’re saying he shouldn’t be captain because his antics of waving his arms up and being a moaner when the ball doesn’t get to him, then I get your point. That part of him irritates me. I still think he should remain as captain, but needs to cut that part out, and encourage and motivate his team mates more. He’s still our best player when on form and works harder than anyone. He’s just horribly off form this season

I remember a lot of posters in the Caf who sanctioned the decision, it baffled me greatly. I could not work out what I was missing.
He does not have a leadership bone in his body. Should have never been up for a candidate in the first place.

To me a captain:
- Should give 7/8 of 10 performances week in week out.
- Should not conduct themselves like a petulant child after almost every ball involvement.
- Should be the one to look to when things are not going well, not the one who is almost always the first to F up.

Bruno is many things, at times, a great player. A leader, he definitely is not.

Why do people care so.much who weres the armband?
It's so overrated and has so littke meaning for the team and performances. Give it to the te lady or something...
Crazy take on the role of a captain. Maybe Bruno having it at the moment is making you think it has little meaning for the team? It's the captains job to be seen as a role model, someone to rally the players not only on the pitch but to be their role model off it too. A leader, an organiser, someone oozing with passion and an influence, especially to the younger generation braking through. Someone to learn from. I think the problem is we haven't had a noteworthy or respectable captain for so long, some fans have rendered the role pointless.

Perfect post, especially the best of the bad bunch bit. There's no obvious candidates who have the character or leadership qualities and consistent good performances to compete with Bruno. It's a problem for the likes of Mainoo and other youngsters coming through to have so few older players to learn and educate them.

Doesn’t matter to me - he knew he had a yellow

But it's still a refereeing issue. In 90 minutes heat of the moment players will make rash tackles, will throw themselves at things etc. There is scope to get a yellow. Its very easy to watch from home or in retrospect, whereas on the pitch trying to reach a cross flung in, less so.

The ref made a red card far more likely by issuing a soft yellow early.

I agree that Bruno was reckless, but 2 things, to strip him of captaincy would be ludicrous, feck me can you remember, Robbo, Keane, Cantona, Scholes, etc... every passionate player has moments like this, at least he has passion, and also the captaincy means little, leaders on the pitch and in the dressing room are leaders whether or not they are given an armband.

Just goes to show this club never sinks so deep that there aren't some supporters who manage to sink below that. The sheer lunacy and blindness of the anti-Bruno sentiment around here beggars belief.

I agree that Bruno was reckless, but 2 things, to strip him of captaincy would be ludicrous, feck me can you remember, Robbo, Keane, Cantona, Scholes, etc... every passionate player has moments like this, at least he has passion, and also the captaincy means little, leaders on the pitch and in the dressing room are leaders whether or not they are given an armband.
Passion is fine, great even. It's the childish behavior that does it for me, sulking and constantly giving away the ball.

Every time we make a player captain, it seems they can't take the pressure and their performances tank.

Any reason why we can't just line up without a captain?

Honestly, what's the fecking point of VAR if you can't even get a decision like that right? Its clear as day there was no contact.
There doesn't have to be contact for it to be a foul or a card, most referee's will give a yellow card for a foot that high inches from a players face and rightly so, it's dangerous

He's been our best player consistently over a 4 year period, gives everything he's got every single game, has clearly played through pain and injury on multiple occasions and demonstrably loves the club and plays for the badge.

He's had a shit start to the season but some people's willingness to throw him under the bus is despicable. He's clearly still the right choice for captain.
Exactly. Honestly, I have great respect for Bruno. He is fighting constantly for a totally dead football project, you can question his form but never his commitment towards the club. I guess he is just desperate and frustrated because despite all the promises and changes, new leadership, new players, new coaches everything stayed the same. No progress, clueless ten Hag, chaos on every level.

No wonder we're a laughing stock.

I fecking hate Goldbridge, but had him on last night, and he was spot on...Bruno is a selfish twat who is a net-loss for this team right now.

The post earlier in this thread is true...Harry should wear our armband. He has many flaws and an angular forehead, but he'd lie down in traffic for the shirt.

Bruno's only concern is the foul he didn't win 5mins ago.

Sell.

No wonder we're a laughing stock.

I fecking hate Goldbridge, but had him on last night, and he was spot on...Bruno is a selfish twat who is a net-loss for this team right now.

The post earlier in this thread is true...Harry should wear our armband. He has many flaws and an angular forehead, but he'd lie down in traffic for the shirt.

Bruno's only concern is the foul he didn't win 5mins ago.

Sell.
These two remarks don't compute.

Also separately I could never imagine watching a game along with a streamer commenting on it. Bizarre.

These two remarks don't compute.

Also separately I could never imagine watching a game along with a streamer commenting on it. Bizarre.

I've done the same. Watched the game with Goldbridge's watch along simultaneously. He hasn't got a clue about football but I love his meltdowns, eruptions, he is a funny freak that guy.

The only think he had going for him as captain is he wants to win. That's it.

I think his feigning injuries and non-calls, though, should have been disqualifying. I can't remember any good captain who acts like that all the time because he just loses credibility with his teammates and referees.

The only think he had going for him as captain is he wants to win. That's it.

I think his feigning injuries and non-calls, though, should have been disqualifying. I can't remember any good captain who acts like that all the time because he just loses credibility with his teammates and referees.

Best picture I could find.

cropped_Untitled-01.gif

Revisionism. People forget just how much Maguire shrunk under the captaincy. How many finals and semis did we lose with him as a captain?

His decline appeared to be related to the personal incident in Greece, entirely understandable.

When Keane and Cantona captained us, kicking the opposition and getting sent off was a must!

In all seriousness, Bruno is the best candidate for captain, which says more about us than it does him.

His decline appeared to be related to the personal incident in Greece, entirely understandable.
And slight upturn in form when Bruno became captain? I agree with you, just that the captaincy magnified everything.

I think the fact he was stripped of the captaincy for a figure many in the media hate, gave him a lot of sympathy as well. So they stopped slating as much and naturally his form picked up.

I don't really like him as captain. Too much 'woe is me' vibes. There isn't presently a better option though.

I think the whole captaincy and captain's armband are overblown and overvalued. Get rid.

Just send a representative player to take the coin toss, and then play the game. The captain can get fecked. They have no special privileges, and every time we assign one, they think it's their job to run the team and tell everyone what to do, when what we need is for them to continue to do the job that got them noticed in the first place.

"even a broken clock is right twice a day"

Goldbridge is just saying what most of the fanbase think. Bruno's a liability.