Bruno should never be captain again

It literally got instantly overturned because it was so ridiculous and was a straight red not a second yellow.

The first yellow tonight was never a yellow and the second one wouldn't have been given if Porto player didn't react that way

Whether the first yellow is bs or not (it is) going in head height with your foot is giving the referee who already booked you for a similar incident a decision to make.

Because you as a captain have already seen the gamesmanship be rewarded against you.

I personally don’t think he should be captain because he falls apart mentally when his back is against the wall, rather than the two incidents in recent games.

He’s been our most productive player in recent times, but is currently playing terribly.

Needs to be dropped at the very least.

Should be his last game for ten Hag, he's been playing like someone who wants Hag gone

Revisionism. People forget just how much Maguire shrunk under the captaincy. How many finals and semis did we lose with him as a captain?
How is it revisionism when I'm comparing two current Utd players who are/were captains. I'm not saying Maguire is a better player, just that he's more suited to being a captain than Bruno.

So who should be the new one?

Onana for me if we changed but I don't think we should at all.

Not because Bruno is any good, just that changing captains causes drama and conflicts and should only really be done in very exceptional circumstances in my book. When you're looking to sell the captain, when he picks up a year-long+ injury and doesn't get given it back after someone deputises well, or when he's 117 years old and hardly plays. In the last of those he can still be "club captain", just not team captain. Maybe as form of punishment too if he does something outrageous that offends the fans - he can sort of hand in the captaincy as a form of apology and PR, begging the fans for forgiveness and being humble all orchestrated by the manager who wants to keep him in the team.

He's been our best player consistently over a 4 year period, gives everything he's got every single game, has clearly played through pain and injury on multiple occasions and demonstrably loves the club and plays for the badge.

He's had a shit start to the season but some people's willingness to throw him under the bus is despicable. He's clearly still the right choice for captain.

he’s got a lot of making up to do this season though. We need him back at world class but he just seems frustrated and rash. Maybe things aren’t good behind the scenes but any of lads will be shipped out if they don’t show up. End of story. I think Bruno wants to be a legend here but is falling short due to his own and his teammates limitations and it’s eating him up. He’s not playing with joy anymore. I’m not sure if it’s all mental with our lads or they hate each other or the manager. On paper we should be beating EL teams easily in the opening rounds and playing decent stuff. It’s just all over the place. Eriksen is our best player so far this season…. Go figure! The manager has no clear plan that I can see anymore

I’m a fan of Manchester United. Dont be trying that fan club shit with me.

The last 2 games red cards were bullshit for him, and it doesn’t take some rose tinted glasses to see it.
The cards were poor decisions but he’s been a bad captain and been in terrible form for a long time now.

Even so, he was already on a yellow and it wasn’t a good idea to go in like that
Our fanbase never hold our players or manager responsible for anything if they can find an excuse to blame the ref instead. The lack of accountability on our players is probably one of the reasons they feel emboldened to make such stupid, self-sabotaging decisions.

Basic common sense would be you don't put your foot 6ft in the air when you're already on a yellow and the opposition defender is going for the ball with his head. The fact he just about missed his head doesn't make it any less dumb.

Maguire is a better captain than Bruno. We need to choose another captain, but who?

Bruno what the feck man? Whats wrong with him? Losing the plot 2 games in a row. Id blame his manager for playing him even if he knew something wasnt quite right. Terrible man management.

Maguire is a better captain than Bruno. We need to choose another captain, but who?

Give it to someone who is a senior but doesnt play week in week out: Eriksen.

I would say this thread is knee-jerk, but the OP also sprinkled in a 7-0 loss to Liverpool from 20 months ago, ignoring all Bruno's positive displays as captain in between. Talk about reaching.

Always nice to be reminded of the most depressing result of my lifetime though. 20 months on and we still love a good reminisce about that game at Anfield.

Why do people care so.much who weres the armband?
It's so overrated and has so littke meaning for the team and performances. Give it to the te lady or something...

Feck being captain, he was horrible as a player

I am pretty sure it was his worst game ever with us, and it's not like he's been good for a while now

Why do people care so.much who weres the armband?
It's so overrated and has so littke meaning for the team and performances. Give it to the te lady or something...
Captain is an very important role.

Timing of the thread is dumb as it wasn’t a second yellow but yes it’s obvious for a long time he can only play a position which forces us to play a bad formation.

The highly emotional responses Bruno inevitably makes to decisions or fouls has him disliked by many British fans who value getting on with it (in theory more than reality) but I'd trust the players around him on who should be team captain -- most seem to respect him. Enough said, i don't need a stiff upper lip, Roy of the Rovers type. I only ask a captain to lead by example, and sometimes, yes, in that regard Bruno lets us down. Today though, yes he was silly with those high feet but that Porto defender faking head injury needs calling out. I can't stand the attitude that it's all fair game to feign injury to get some advantage and the tossers on Paramount saying 'I'd have done the same if it got the opponent a booking' might appear 'honest' pros admitting how it really is to some but it's symptomatic of the BS in the game. When we have replays and angles on every move on the pitch, I'd like to see a little more done to cut out the acting by punishing the fakers. Porto generally acted like prats and I was delighted their moment of glory was denied by Harry's goal -- small consolation in a crappy day.

What a load of reactionary bollocks. He's been our best player since he joined the club, and thats by a country mile. He has literally carried us through so many games, and he actually gives a shit.

The better thread title would be "Why isn't X captain?". Atleast then you'd have a discussable opionion.

What a load of reactionary bollocks. He's been our best player since he joined the club, and thats by a country mile. He has literally carried us through so many games, and he actually gives a shit.

The better thread title would be "Why isn't X captain?". Atleast then you'd have a discussable opionion.
Agreed. The seemingly sincere shouts for giving the armband back to Maguire would make for an amusing thread title. It would age like milk.

The highly emotional responses Bruno inevitably makes to decisions or fouls has him disliked by many British fans who value getting on with it (in theory more than reality) but I'd trust the players around him on who should be team captain -- most seem to respect him. Enough said, i don't need a stiff upper lip, Roy of the Rovers type. I only ask a captain to lead by example, and sometimes, yes, in that regard Bruno lets us down. Today though, yes he was silly with those high feet but that Porto defender faking head injury needs calling out. I can't stand the attitude that it's all fair game to feign injury to get some advantage and the tossers on Paramount saying 'I'd have done the same if it got the opponent a booking' might appear 'honest' pros admitting how it really is to some but it's symptomatic of the BS in the game. When we have replays and angles on every move on the pitch, I'd like to see a little more done to cut out the acting by punishing the fakers. Porto generally acted like prats and I was delighted their moment of glory was denied by Harry's goal -- small consolation in a crappy day.
Just on Porto's playacting - it was by far the worst I've seen from an opposition team in years. That moment where the ball went out for a throw-in after a Porto player tackled Antony, then the guy went down holding his face in a laughably delayed fashion, was bizarre. I wish VAR could intervene in those instances and give out cards for blatant simulation.

No it is not. For example, Real Madrid just toss the armband to the guy who has been at the club the longest.
Don’t understand your implication. Isn’t it about respect in rm’s case? And it means the role not important?

He's been our best player consistently over a 4 year period, gives everything he's got every single game, has clearly played through pain and injury on multiple occasions and demonstrably loves the club and plays for the badge.

He's had a shit start to the season but some people's willingness to throw him under the bus is despicable. He's clearly still the right choice for captain.
Spot on, well said.