Bruno Fernandes | New contract until 2027

The likes of Real Madrid, Bayern, City, Barcelona are not going to pay us the transfer fee necessary and £300k a week wages to sign a 30 year old Bruno Fernandes. They're just not.
I know Bruno has never been on the same level as peak Lewandowski, but lets not pretend that the likes of Barca aren't willing to sign a player on big wages who is over the age of 29 if their contract is running down.

The likes of Real Madrid, Bayern, City, Barcelona are not going to pay us the transfer fee necessary and £300k a week wages to sign a 30 year old Bruno Fernandes. They're just not.
I don't disagree that the feeling we'd require would be too high for Bayern and Barca, and we'd never sell to city. But if they COULD get him they would.

Even in some fantasy land where we did get a giant bid, we still have the option to reject, or cash in. Extending his contract from 3 years option to 4 years option with a massive increase in salary just does nothing much for us at this stage.

It rewards him for being our captain and best player. He’ll be 32 when his current contracts ends; 33 if he stays for the additional year. That’s how old De Bruyne is right now, for some perspective.

I’m not too arsed about what other clubs would do. The reality is that United need Bruno and everyone benefits by having him extend on terms that reflect his worth.

Im baffled by some of the posts in here, hes the heart and soul of this team, everything goes through him, the team doesnt play well without him playing well within it

In an era of players not giving a toss about the clubs they play for and fans complaining they dont “get” what it means to them he is the polar opposite, he cares, the petulent arm throwing is because he has higher standards than the dross his teammates have served up at times, he expects more, he loves this place, he might as well have been born in manchester because he for damn sure cares more than some of the locals appear too

Delighted to see him made one of our highest earners as he is by a mile the best player at the club.

Sometimes as a business even when it's not necessary you do the right things to show those people who do the right things that you see and appreciate it.

The money that footballers get paid is obviously crazy but that horse has left the barn. Our wage bill is beyond healthy. We can afford to spend on those who perform, we just need some of the overpaid ones to live up to their contracts.

Im baffled by some of the posts in here, hes the heart and soul of this team, everything goes through him, the team doesnt play well without him playing well within it

In an era of players not giving a toss about the clubs they play for and fans complaining they dont “get” what it means to them he is the polar opposite, he cares, the petulent arm throwing is because he has higher standards than the dross his teammates have served up at times, he expects more, he loves this place, he might as well have been born in manchester because he for damn sure cares more than some of the locals appear too
This.

Well deserved. Hopefully more iconic moments to come from him.

Well deserved. We need him now more than ever.

He's our most important player, by quite a considerable distance. He's also our best player. Considering how light we are in midfield and attack, we go into the season once more on Bruno's shoulders.

Great news, he is our best and most important player, he has weaknesses but his value to the team far outweighs any issues and he is a baller, I hope this season he is given a platform to play in a controlled style where he can pick his moments to cause damage rather than relying on him to bail us out with hero football

Not a big fan. Don’t think it’s a wise decision. Hope it works out

No top club has tried to poach him from us during transfer windows, though? That’s the point.
The point was that we shouldn't give players contracts that reward performance if they're already tied down, wasn't it? Which I don't think makes sense as it'll dissuade other players from coming here as they won't think that we'll reward their performances as other clubs may.

Not a big fan. Don’t think it’s a wise decision. Hope it works out
Honestly don't understand how a united fan can't be a big fan of our best player in the last, what, five years at least?

I wonder if this time giving a big contract to an almost 30-year-old will turn out differently.

It's right that Bruno got rewarded. In seasons past, he's has shown that fire that was familiar back in the fergie days with some of his players. The club needs players of his ilk. Great footballer. Loves the club. Good human being. I'm very happy with him.

I wonder if this time giving a big contract to an almost 30-year-old will turn out differently.
I have no doubt it will but even if he falls off a bit his previous performances would have more than merited it.

If he wins a major trophy with us he will be a United legend imo. He’s been our best signing over the last 11 years, infact the only player you can honestly say has been good.

I love him. Great guy.

Far from a perfect player, plenty of flaws, but our best and most important player over the last however many years he's been here. It's fair enough.

I have no doubt it will but even if he falls off a bit his previous performances would have more than merited it.
You give out a new contract for future performances not past performances. Whatever Bruno did for us in the past he has been fairly compensated for. The question is over the duration of his new contract will he be worth what we're paying him. I doubt it but time will tell.

You give out a new contract for future performances

What? :lol:

Do sporting directors have crystal balls?

You give out extensions with 2 years remaining to any player you consider a significant asset to your club. You get rewarded as a club by protecting the asset, the player gets rewarded with a raise.
It’s been common practice at nearly every club since Bosman, yet so many are acting as if this is something new only United do.

What? :lol:

Do sporting directors have crystal balls?

You give out extensions with 2 years remaining to any player you consider a significant asset to your club. You get rewarded as a club by protecting the asset, the player gets rewarded with a raise.
It’s been common practice at nearly every club since Bosman, yet so many are acting as if this is something new only United do.
Exactly this. The only predictor of future performances is to look to past performance. Making this decision right now, knowing what we know of how he's played to date, he's absolutely worth it.

Mad that he still has so many doubting his quality.

I'm Happy for Bruno to be rewarded with a new contract. One of only a couple of players we have that haven't been stealing a living for the past few years.
I think the hate and critics come from the standards he has set himself and what we have come to expect from him.
Hopefully we get to see him perform in a functioning system. I think the closest we have had to that in Bruno's time here is the season we had Rashford, Martial and Greenwood as a front 3 and Bruno scored almost 30 goals that season.
Expecting another big season from him this year!

Good news , easily our best player consistently over the last few years and is rarely injured.

Great news. Consistently been our best player since the day he joined, available for virtually every game whilst putting in maximum effort, no off-field issues. If anyone deserves a pay rise in the squad it's him.

No top club has tried to poach him from us during transfer windows, though? That’s the point.
How many have tried to poach De Bruyne, Saka, VVD? Main players of big clubs rarely attract serious interest from other clubs as in most cases, it's a fool's errand.

Excellent news! I was really worried a few months ago that he might leave and he's confirmed himself that he did have offers. The disrespect he gets on here, especially most of last season, genuinely disgusts me. He's been the only consistent player at the club since he signed. Would have been completely irreplaceable and undoubtedly could have gone somewhere else where he was more likely to win a league title. A great show of ambition from the captain, and hopefully it inspires the rest of the squad to believe in the project too.

Even in some fantasy land where we did get a giant bid, we still have the option to reject, or cash in. Extending his contract from 3 years option to 4 years option with a massive increase in salary just does nothing much for us at this stage.
Absolute nonsense. The likes of Bayern and Barca would take Bruno in a second. Bruno confirmed himself publicly that he had concrete offers on the table and it was possible he left this season. There had been rumours about all of Bayern, Barca and PSG being interested in him months ago. It seems to be only in the PL that people don't realise Bruno is one of the best players in the world (and that's backed up with stats). So rare to get a superstar that actually puts in the grit and hard work defensively too. Bruno never stops running, never gets injured, plays every game and is among the leaders in his position for tackles, interceptions, blocks and clearances on top of his leading creative stats.

How many have tried to poach De Bruyne, Saka, VVD? Main players of big clubs rarely attract serious interest from other clubs as in most cases, it's a fool's errand.
Clubs have tried to poach Bruno. He literally confirmed it himself in the interview.

I have many mixed feelings about this. Bruno's main achilles is that he is slow footed in his movements. This slowness is why he can't get by defenders when they over play him and if he gets a step on a defender they usually catch up quickly and extinguish the danger unless Bruno passes first. Granted, he can be very good despite this flaw in his game. However, as he approaches 30 he will likely become even more slower. His press will be slower, his turn will be slower, his fight for 50/50 balls will be slower, his ability to get a shot off will diminish and even his movement to pass will be slower. I hope I'm wrong.

I'm not sure this is good management and it's the kind of move that we did too often before INEOS. I was hoping we were going to be smarter with contracts. The perfect example is Casemiro. I think very few clubs would have given him a 4 year contract on big wages at his age (and paid 70m). But we did and now we are stuck with him for 2 more years he gets slower and slower.

The irony is beyond belief. I don’t mind non United fans posting on here and taking the piss, but only if they’re transparent and not pretending to be a United fan to wind everybody up. Mods, you know what to do!

Pretending to be United fan? Motherfecker , 10 years of losing my nerves here and you gonna call me out for saying that Bruno is most obnoxious moaning feck in PL. @mods you can send me another warning or 3 for calling out a poster a cnut, you clearly know what you doing with first warning.