Best transfer window ever?

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Too early to say, maybe, but the omens are good… think we see the back of Phil Jones … seriously though, Greenwood, Donny, Malacia (Hopefully), Casemiro, Lindelof (maybe), Martial, Eriksen, Sancho (hopefully)…

And add Zirkzee, de Ligt, Yoro, Ugarte, Branthwaite (I have doubts this happens), and even maybe Olmo? No left back… ??

This is definitely not premature, don’t listen to anyone who says otherwise.

It will also be premature when the window closes. The level of our business will not be judged by hype but by the long term results.

Too early to say, maybe, but the omens are good… think we see the back of Phil Jones … seriously though, Greenwood, Donny, Malacia (Hopefully), Casemiro, Lindelof (maybe), Martial, Eriksen, Sancho (hopefully)…

And add Zirkzee, de Ligt, Yoro, Ugarte, Branthwaite (I have doubts this happens), and even maybe Olmo? No left back… ??

----- ----- ----- ----- Zirkee ----- ----- -----
Rashford----- ----- ----- ----- ----- Garnacho
----- ----- ----- ----- -----Bruno----- ----- ----- -----
----- ----- Mainoo ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----
----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- Ugarte----- ----- -----
----- ----- ---Martinez----- ----- ----- ----- -----
Shaw----- ----- ----- ----- --De Light ----- ----- Dalot

Just those three signings puts quality and aggression all over the pitch

With:
Braithwaite
Mount
Amad
Rasmus

all on the bench, nice options.

Who has been on the Caf long enough to remember this anthem? :D

At risk of triggering comments about nominative determinism, I can’t bring myself to get excited about exits. They’re an ends towards a means, and players leaving who weren’t getting games anyway won’t improve our on pitch performance.

With regards to incomings, we’ve “won the transfer window” loads of times in the last ten years signing genuinely exciting names, but the seasons afterwards have been largely disappointing.

We seem to have taken an opposite approach this year and I’m excited to see if it works.

Why "hopefully" for Malacia when he basically didn't exist last year ? Very odd.

It's only been a matter of days since Ashworth, Ruud etc. are in the door. It goes to show why this type of structure is becoming so common in football and that we were way behind the curve. Agree or don't agree with the ins and outs (which I doubt many do) it's all happening in a quick and dare I say professional manner. Signs are good.......I'm scared too lads

Absolutely,

Last window was 2nd best ever. Thought it only lasted for 3 games into season.

Didn't Phil Jones retire last summer?
In a literal sense yes. Metaphorically, he retired many moons ago. He's the guy we should be asking about the medical facilities. Phil, you've spent the majority of your time injured, what are your thoughts on the dept

That window we got Nani Anderson Hargreaves and tevez... The best!

At time of writing looks like we will get over the release clause zirkzee who doesn't start for Holland and de ligt who doesn't start for Holland on 200k-250k a week.

We haven't shifted anyone bar van de beek who we got 500k for.

I'm not saying we should be damning the upstairs for this business, but we shouldn't be saying this is world class business either.

You can't claim a transfer window as the best until you see how everything pans out. More often than not, in the past decade, many have claimed plenty of summer transfer windows as our best in the moment but, looking back, would you say any of them were good?

The two most hyped I think were the 15/16 window where van Gaal got rid of a lot of perceived deadwood and brought in Di María and Falcao, and the 16/17 window where everyone bought into the José era with Zlatan, Pogba and Mkhitaryan coming in. Safe to say neither worked out as well as we hoped.

I agree with @Sylar above. The 2007 window is still probably the best.

20 years ago we signed Rooney and Pique in the same window.

In 2016 we signed Ibrahimovic, Pogba, Mkhitaryan and a young Bailly. With Jose taking charge, I had so many hopes for that season.

At risk of triggering comments about nominative determinism, I can’t bring myself to get excited about exits. They’re an ends towards a means, and players leaving who weren’t getting games anyway won’t improve our on pitch performance.

With regards to incomings, we’ve “won the transfer window” loads of times in the last ten years signing genuinely exciting names, but the seasons afterwards have been largely disappointing.

We seem to have taken an opposite approach this year and I’m excited to see if it works.

Ah yes I was just about to comment on nominative determinism…

For us who have been around a while - beating the summer of 1989 will be incredibly hard.

Mike Phelan, Neil Webb, Gary Pallister, Paul Ince and Danny Wallace - that just didn't happen back then

feck knows. All the players we sign could be shite.

It looks like our earliest completed transfer window. Which will be great.

Let us first sign those rumoured ones and let go of the deadwood.

Then we can start hoping for performance on pitch justifying this 'best ever' tag...

Summer of 1998 we signed Stam and Yorke (…and Blomqvist)

Summer 2007 brought in Hargreaves, Nani, Anderson, and Tevez (on loan). Each played roles in getting us over the line in Europe that season, as well as domestically.

January 2006 we brought in Evra and Vidic (just a few months after signing VDS and Park and a few months before bringing in Carrick)

You can't claim a transfer window as the best until you see how everything pans out. More often than not, in the past decade, many have claimed plenty of summer transfer windows as our best in the moment but, looking back, would you say any of them were good?

The two most hyped I think were the 15/16 window where van Gaal got rid of a lot of perceived deadwood and brought in Di María and Falcao, and the 16/17 window where everyone bought into the José era with Zlatan, Pogba and Mkhitaryan coming in. Safe to say neither worked out as well as we hoped.

I agree with @Sylar above. The 2007 window is still probably the best.
That first one was 2014. 2015 he brought in Memphis, Darmian, and the Schmidfield

The two players we look nailed on to sign, de Ligt, and Zirkzee, are underwhelming signings, so this summer wouldn't even be in the running for best ever window.

Personally Zirkzee doesnt excite me much at all, DeLigt looks pretty likely and is a decent signing.....do either of them improve our first eleven from last season....not sure they do. Would Ugarte improve us fro 2years agos Casemeiro, does Braithwaite offer anything to our first eleven if Martinez stays fit?

Good improving the squad....but for me bar 4 maybe 5 positions,our first eleven are squad players arguably.

So its too early of course to comment. The fees we are negotiatig look decent, the players look decent...we cant judge whoever we sign at all for a good 6/9months. Our signings overall each window for a decade have been very average at best most windows to me at the time,so decent isnt a bad thing...but I want to see us signing young players that are capable of breaking intothe first eleven quickly and havethe abilities to become great players....Neves, Yoro, Doue...easier said than done and there are lukewatm to big linkswith all three.....a couple of signings of that ilk and I will see it as a potentially huge window...and we need ahuge one...a decent window doesnt even bring big confidence or a top four finish

Think this is the 5th time this has been said in the last 10 years

De Ligt
Yoro
Ugarte
Zirkzee
Backup right full back
Maguire out
McT out
Awb out
Donny out

When i see all this THEN i will say best window ever.

That window we got Nani Anderson Hargreaves and tevez... The best!
This. And it was done almost as a complete surprise. Nani trying his byline chip in preseason. Glory days.

I thought the summer we got Sancho, Varane and Ronaldo was one of the best ever (at the time)

We've had summers that have looked sensational on paper then not turned out that way.

So maybe a few underwhelming signings who turn out to be good is a better way.

Still a bit too little on outbound but we have had a summer tournament. That always delays things.

At time of writing looks like we will get over the release clause zirkzee who doesn't start for Holland and de ligt who doesn't start for Holland on 200k-250k a week.

We haven't shifted anyone bar van de beek who we got 500k for.

I'm not saying we should be damning the upstairs for this business, but we shouldn't be saying this is world class business either.

Agreed but also not starting for Holland is not exactly the best barometer. Frimpong doesn’t start for them and he was widely regarded as one of the best RBs in Europe last season.