Best penalty Taker In The World?

midwestred said:
why is baggio mentioned?
missed the biggest one in his career
world cup final usa 94
blazed it over the bar right after franco baresi missed
italy go out on pens to brazil

Even Maradona missed it out against Yuguslavia. Whether its for their club or country, if it goes down to pens, these players were the automatic choices and they lived up to the billing.

vijay said:
Even Maradona missed it out against Yuguslavia. Whether its for their club or country, if it goes down to pens, these players were the automatic choices and they lived up to the billing.

just for discussion's sake
how did baggio "live up to the billing"
if he missed the most important penalty he had ever taken?
not saying he was shit at penalties in general, but great
penalty takers should make them when they count
imho

In 2003, Shevchenko scored the winning penalty in Champions League final against Juventus, giving A.C. Milan the title. Two years later, his penalty was saved by Jerzy Dudek to hand the title to Liverpool.

Penalties - bloody hell!

I think the Noggie commentator for the City game today said Graham Alexander has scored 69 of the 74 penalties he's taken in his career. Can anyone confirm that? And if so, is there anyone with a better record?

We're talking about Graham Alexander here, bastards.

Graham-Alexander-Burnley-Pre-Season_2355203.jpg

Ronaldinho has always been lights out. His penalty midweek vs Madrid was awesome as well.

And if so, is there anyone with a better record?

According to a Martin Tyler column on Sky Sports the other week, Le Tissier only ever missed one penalty in his career. Dunno quite how many the guy took, but that's a pretty fantastic record for any regular penalty taker.

Le Tiss was 47 out of 48 i think. He mentioned it on the telly today.

According to a Martin Tyler column on Sky Sports the other week, Le Tissier only ever missed one penalty in his career. Dunno quite how many the guy took, but that's a pretty fantastic record for any regular penalty taker.
I should have thought of that. 48 of 49 according to Wiki.

In recent years Lampard & Gerrard never seem miss, bastards!

Whenever either step up it's a certain goal. Van Persie too.

Whenever either step up it's a certain goal. Van Persie too.

Both missed for England Vs Portugal in 2006. Gerrard's missed a couple that I remember but he's tucked away the rebound both times.

I'm always surprised at how many penalties Lampard scores, as he seems to hit it to his left (GKs right) very often

I'd be interested to know exactly how many times

Both missed for England Vs Portugal in 2006. Gerrard's missed a couple that I remember but he's tucked away the rebound both times.

Yeah Gerrard missed one late last season but scored on the rebound

Not as often as Ronaldo.

Yeh, Ronaldo did it a lot for us, but then I seem to remember him doing two in the opposite top corner for Portugal against England

There was a stat in the paper the other week, probably put the kiss of death on him, but Darren Bent was right up there, scored something like 8 out of his last 8 before today

His name is Wes Hawley, he plays here in Nova Scotia, and he's never missed a penalty in University or the Tier 1 leagues for 7 years.

They JUST did a bit on him in the newspaper, and that fact came up... since U-16 he's 26/26, not including shootouts where he's 4/4.

For Dalhousie University, he's 9/9 in 2 seasons

Kevin Muscat. He has only ever missed one penalty in his whole career - has taken them for most teams he's played for. (Missed one whilst at Millwall)

It is Le Tiss that he took few if any that mattered

AIK Stockholms penalty-taker Markus Jonsson surely should be up there with the best. He has never missed a penalty since he started taking them for his old club Öster in 2003.

I am sure there are some AIK fans here who knows exactly how many penalties he has taken - I think it should be something in the region of 25 in a row without missing.

Shearer was amazing at them..Smashed them into the top corner..

A certain Cantona wasn't too bad either almost always sending the keeper the wrong way somehow!

Ruud was pretty good on his day, I can only miss him missing 2, one of them the one against Arsenal in 04 against the bar, the other one against Bolton, but otherwise he was brilliant at them.

The one v Arsenal still leaves a bit of bitter taste in my mouth, although I wash it down with the one he swept home the following year

I can't remember Robin van Persie missed a penalty. They're always extremely precise and with the right speed

I'm always surprised at how many penalties Lampard scores, as he seems to hit it to his left (GKs right) very often

I'd be interested to know exactly how many times

I thought I heard it was in the region of 19 out of 20 he's netted for Chelsea. Not sure which side they've all gone in. A bit like Van Nistelrooy in terms of how he often hammered his United penalties to his left, particularly his first few.

His name is Wes Hawley, he plays here in Nova Scotia, and he's never missed a penalty in University or the Tier 1 leagues for 7 years.

They JUST did a bit on him in the newspaper, and that fact came up... since U-16 he's 26/26, not including shootouts where he's 4/4.

For Dalhousie University, he's 9/9 in 2 seasons

Impressive. I used to be on 27/27 from a mixture of amateur / semi-professional. Missed a few since then though.

Indeed he did. As did Stojkovic, who used to rattle them in for fun.