Best penalty Taker In The World?

I think ruud is up there with the best penalty takers.
On the other hand, i think beckham is the worst. Cant believe he still takes penalties for England.

vijay said:
Not an awful penalty taker but at times he is stupid. A safe choice ... atleast he steps forward when the occasion demands.

Agree - he used to take all his penalties, choosing the same spot - to the keeper's right - it got so obvious that keepers finally caught on & guessed correctly ( I remember screaming my head off & pleading for him to change his choice of spot:nervous: ) - that's when he started missing them/having his kicks saved in a row ( or some sort ).

He finally got wise & varied his choice of spots - I remember seing keepers still diving the same direction anticipating he'd still choose there.

Having said that, he was successful in all his previous kicks so his technique & accuracy cannot be faulted.

kiristao said:
I think ruud is up there with the best penalty takers.
On the other hand, i think beckham is the worst. Cant believe he still takes penalties for England.
Not anymore apparently. The duty has been given to Lampard

Definately this guy

sports16.jpg

Arnold Muhren was a great penalty taker...

I've not got the time right now to do the research, but how many players have scored hat-tricks in games with all 3 being penalties. I know Ronaldo did it a couple of years back, but that sort of thing is rare.

andy johnson scored most of his goals from penaltys last year, ruud penaltys are good too, owen seems to always score them as well

Tribec said:
Arnold Muhren was a great penalty taker...

I've not got the time right now to do the research, but how many players have scored hat-tricks in games with all 3 being penalties. I know Ronaldo did it a couple of years back, but that sort of thing is rare.
Chilavert has scored 3 PKs in a game.

yeh he seems to always score them for england

'The best...' judgments are always a matter of opinion; except this one. Le Tissier took 50 penalties and scored 49.

Ruud was looking like a contender, until a few failures - including consecutive ones if I remember correctly - demoted him to just bloody good.

Paolo Di Canio

MUFC187 said:
I think Ronaldinho missed one against Celtic, could be wrong though.

Honourable mention must go to Sao Paulo keeper Rogerio Ceni.
He's a good penalty taker. Ceni often scores via free kick, I think his goal scoring record is more impressive than Chilavert.

Smackhead Fowler

Seriously though..Litissier was damn good

Both fat lazy twats

Ray Stewart who used to play for West Ham in the 80's.

Just used to pelt it so hard the keeper never had a chance.

also gareth southgate can convert them, david batty use to be a good penalty taker and paul ince isnt bad either

AhmedDimwitson said:
Litmanen was/is a good penalty taker.

Seen him miss one at Aston Villa. At that time no cnut could score a penalty for liverpool. We were more likely to score from a corner.

Danny Murphy hasnt missed one and always looks a confident penalty taker.

Molby was a very good peno taker for Liverpool.

Non reds...

Le Tiss and Ray Stewart of West Ham

tengy said:
also gareth southgate can convert them, david batty use to be a good penalty taker and paul ince isnt bad either

chris waddle

anindito said:
Paolo Di Canio

He's a good penalty taker. Ceni often scores via free kick, I think his goal scoring record is more impressive than Chilavert.

Yeah, i think through pens and free-kicks, Ceni has scored something like 60 goals in his career, not bad for a keeper

TR said:
'The best...' judgments are always a matter of opinion; except this one. Le Tissier took 50 penalties and scored 49.

Ruud was looking like a contender, until a few failures - including consecutive ones if I remember correctly - demoted him to just bloody good.

Can't argue with those stats.

Didn't Brucie score 14 in a season?
Yeah that was 90-1991 season, Molby scored 3 penalties in a league cup game against Coventry & each time he sent the GK the wrong way.

Penalty taking is all about confidence. Ruud's record was previously incredible. He apparently took around 1000 penalties against barthez and scored every single one!

However, he missed a couple of big chances and seemed to be stuck in a penalty missing rut. For a while, it seemed they were never gonna go in.

Although since the Arse game last October he hasn't looked back. Apart from that blip, his record is superb. ;)

If he misses a couple of big game chances in a row though, i would start to get worried. hehe

I am suprised no-one has mentioned Jorg Butt or Roy Makaay. Both seem so calm when taking penalties.

why is baggio mentioned?
missed the biggest one in his career
world cup final usa 94
blazed it over the bar right after franco baresi missed
italy go out on pens to brazil