Bentancur racial slur

It’s actually not ‘as racist as it gets’ tbh. Do you even know what racism actually means? And you know absolutely nothing about me, from my post or otherwise.
Well I know your comprehension isn't good and your grammar even worse. If you put something in quotation marks it's supposed to be a direct quote not something you imagined.I didn't say it's as racist as it gets. I said it's as obvious a racist statement as it gets.

Well I know your comprehension isn't good and your grammar even worse. If you put something in quotation marks it's supposed to be a direct quote not something you imagined.I didn't say it's as racist as it gets. I said it's as obvious a racist statement as it gets.

It is neither as racist as it gets, or as ‘racist a statement as it gets’. By definition, it’s not even a racist statement at all.

Bored of these conversations. This whole ‘tackling racism in football’ thing is so often misdirected. Tbh, in society in general. He will probably get banned now for a comment his mate took no offence to at all, while the governing bodies get to look ‘tough on racism’. The real problems with racism in football, and again, society in general - very rarely have any slurs attached to them and go unaddressed everyday. You will see media witch hunts against people like Sterling and Pogba not discussed, but people would be outraged if Sterling’s teammate who could be godfather to his kids mimicked a Jamaican accent talking to him. You will see Dwight Yorke constantly complain about not getting into management, with a general underlying consensus that he doesn’t really ‘seem’ like the management type. Addressing why not is the real problem.

Besides, 90% of the time ‘racism’ is misdefined anyway. Referencing race, nationality isn’t ‘racist’ by definition. I’m largely unbothered by things like this from Bentancur, personally.

Tbf, Dwight Yorke doesn't seem like the management type.

It is neither as racist as it gets, or as ‘racist a statement as it gets’. By definition, it’s not even a racist statement at all.
Right. Saying all people of x race or y country look the same isn't racist. Ok Mr Suarez let's leave it there.

I'm not sure how you don't deem it as racist. What more did he have to say? All Asians look the same?

Racist - characterized by or showing prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism against a person or people on the basis of their membership of a particular racial or ethnic group, typically one that is a minority or marginalized.

Prejudice - preconceived opinion that is not based on reason or actual experience

"Sonny's? It could be Sonny's cousin too as they all look the same."

Right. Saying all people of x race or y country look the same isn't racist. Ok Mr Suarez let's leave it there.

It’s the insinuation that such a comment is ‘as racist a statement as it gets’ that actually bothers me. It’s a red herring. Football and society has a ‘tough on racism’ stance while racism is rife and rampant in both.

As an ethic minority in the UK, I can tell you all about my experiences with racism. How we are programmed from birth. The extreme lengths I need to take when I walk into shops to make it clear that I am not a thief and mean no harm, which have become so subconscious that you don’t even realise you are doing them until you walk into a shop in Africa and notice that you feel different. The fact that I was arrested last year for a false allegation made against me and my first thought was one of fear because I was black and my accuser was white, and there was potentially a subconscious assumption of guilt/innocence of both parties based on race. Not once did I feel I was likely to be called the N word or any other slur.

If people really want to talk about racism and actually tackle it, call me, or any other minority. I would guess that if you got 10 minorities in the UK and asked them to give you the biggest challenges of being from where they are from, I doubt ‘name-calling’ would even feature, and if it did, it would almost certainly not include name calling from their close friends. So when I see authorities pop up to ‘stamp down’ on things like this, which allows them all to go home and pat themselves on the back for their ‘anti-racism’, it annoys me. Let’s talk about why it’s so easy for black footballers to get an ‘attitude problem’ sticker out on them in comparison to white ones. This is the racism in football that is deep-rooted, and I actually would be far more offended by Wan-Bissaka lazily being labelled as having an attitude problem than I would about Garnacho saying ‘my nigga, I love you’ to Mainoo. No doubt the latter would spark a huge ‘racism storm’ and Garnacho would probably have his contract terminated and football can collectively pat themselves on the back for their stance, while the former happens everyday and is actually a bigger problem.

If you asked Paul Pogba, for example, if he thinks racism was something he encountered in his 6 years here, I’m very confident he would say yes. None of that would involve him being called a monkey or nigga or similar, and even less likely if the ‘slur’ came from his friends. Probably some of the same posters expressing their rage in this very thread could have been guilty of some of these lazy agendas towards Pogba themselves, without knowing even.

And with regards to referencing race being racist, again - check the definition. Saying ‘Indians like curry’ or ‘Chinese people are short’ is not racist, although I’m sure these things would unanimously be labelled as racist if said outwardly. They are not racist because, whether true or untrue, generalisation or not - liking curry is perfectly acceptable and makes you no less of a person. There is no superiority/inferiority implied by the liking of curry, nor by what Bentancur said. None of this suggest a person is better than. If you said ‘Indians are stupid’, that’s a different matter. Most educated white British adults have been educated (programmed) enough to be mindful of saying ‘you probably like fried chicken?’ to me if they meet me, but that doesn’t mean they have actually been educated (de-programmed) enough to not have subconscious white superiority.

Last edited:
A reminder that racism exists everywhere. It's not just one particular group of people doing it. In fact, it seems even more acceptable in a lot of places outside the traditional Western nations. Having said that - I think that also shows you we can't just assume values being pushed in other parts of the world automatically get adopted elsewhere.

Ouch. The whole Asian they all look the same schtick is pretty well known at this point, so for Bentancur to still make the joke is pretty dim on his part. I mean, really. :lol:

A reminder that racism exists everywhere. It's not just one particular group of people doing it. In fact, it seems even more acceptable in a lot of places outside the traditional Western nations. Having said that - I think that also shows you we can't just assume values being pushed in other parts of the world automatically get adopted elsewhere.
And common decency isn't so common.

Values aren't even adopted in the parts of the world they are being pushed in either.
Fact is, you can't change people or dictate to them, they will be what they will be, people are created by their upbringing over days, weeks, months and years. So if one person has a bad time with, for example, Asians, at an early age, there's a good chance they won't like them for the rest of their lives. No amount of telling them they're wrong or wagging fingers will change that. Its like telling a 30 year old scouser to support United.

All anyone can do, is be the person you want to be and uphold those morals and beliefs throughout your life, that's it.

There's no point anyone getting triggered by any of it, the human race is far from being enlightened on a massive scale. (and I don't say that in a religious sense)

Values aren't even adopted in the parts of the world they are being pushed in either.
Fact is, you can't change people or dictate to them, they will be what they will be, people are created by their upbringing over days, weeks, months and years. So if one person has a bad time with, for example, Asians, at an early age, there's a good chance they won't like them for the rest of their lives. No amount of telling them they're wrong or wagging fingers will change that. Its like telling a 30 year old scouser to support United.

Doesn't make it right. It’s still shitty to judge an entire group of people based on the actions of individuals. I had some pretty bad encounters with a travelling Irish community growing up. They mugged me for my mobile one time, attacked me and my friends on another occasion and just generally terrorised the area and made every interaction I had with them a nightmare.

If I went around hating Irish people now just because of that it would be ridiculous. My grievance is only with those specific people and them alone. (And maybe @golden_blunder)

he’s just about ok for me as he didn’t do a bowie and pull the corners of his eyelids.

The country name of Uruguay derives from the namesake Río Uruguay, from the Indigenous Guaraní language. There are several interpretations, including "bird-river" ("the river of the uru, via Charruan, urú being a common noun of any wild fowl). The name could also refer to a river snail called uruguá (Pomella megastoma) that was plentiful across its shores.
Does this guy know how to party or what?

Doesn't make it right. It’s still shitty to judge an entire group of people based on the actions of individuals. I had some pretty bad encounters with a travelling Irish community growing up. They mugged me for my mobile one time, attacked me and my friends on another occasion and just generally terrorised the area and made every interaction I had with them a nightmare.

If I went around hating Irish people now just because of that it would be ridiculous. My grievance is only with those specific people and them alone. (And maybe @golden_blunder)

I agree mate, but unfortunately that's how a lot of people operate. We're all influenced by our past. Takes a lot to truly forgive and forget, then move on.

Just look at the scousers who don't buy The Sun newspaper, purely based on what they printed 30 odd years ago about Hillsborough. The people who wrote the articles probably don't even work on the newspaper anymore, some are probably dead, but that doesn't stop the scousers boycotting the newspaper.

Too many people with agendas too, especially on social media and the media in general, like to keep things going.

Best conversation I had about racism was with a black guy about 20 years ago. He was a Liverpool supporter and used to get on the tube and sit opposite me every morning, both of us catching up with last night's footie in the newspapers. One day he shook his head and made a groaning sound (Liverpool had lost) and we made eye contact and he smiled and said 'sorry man...my team lost last night...' I laughed and said no worries, mine won! We then started chatting about football and before you know it, we go onto the topic of racism in football and life in general.

He openly admitted to me he had been racist in the past, said he'd called white people names and didn't like white people etc and I said I've done the same, it's bullshit to think no one has, because you look for the first thing to attack when you're pissed off, black, white, fat, bald, ginger etc...

But what we both agreed was that racism is in everyone, it's not just white on black for example, he said he knew loads of black friends who didn't like white people. I said, genuinely, that you're the first black person I've met who's openly admitted that, even though I knew it. I said I couldn't give a shit what colour someone was, I was brought up to just go by whether someone's an arsehole or not. He agreed.

We're best of friends now, still giving each other shit about who we support, but the moral of this story is, feck agendas, feck media, feck what's being pushed, feck history, just look at what's inside someone standing in front of you and make your own mind up. The outside doesn't matter at all.

It’s the insinuation that such a comment is ‘as racist a statement as it gets’ that actually bothers me. It’s a red herring. Football and society has a ‘tough on racism’ stance while racism is rife and rampant in both.

As an ethic minority in the UK, I can tell you all about my experiences with racism. How we are programmed from birth. The extreme lengths I need to take when I walk into shops to make it clear that I am not a thief and mean no harm, which have become so subconscious that you don’t even realise you are doing them until you walk into a shop in Africa and notice that you feel different. The fact that I was arrested last year for a false allegation made against me and my first thought was one of fear because I was black and my accuser was white, and there was potentially a subconscious assumption of guilt/innocence of both parties based on race. Not once did I feel I was likely to be called the N word or any other slur.

If people really want to talk about racism and actually tackle it, call me, or any other minority. I would guess that if you got 10 minorities in the UK and asked them to give you the biggest challenges of being from where they are from, I doubt ‘name-calling’ would even feature, and if it did, it would almost certainly not include name calling from their close friends. So when I see authorities pop up to ‘stamp down’ on things like this, which allows them all to go home and pat themselves on the back for their ‘anti-racism’, it annoys me. Let’s talk about why it’s so easy for black footballers to get an ‘attitude problem’ sticker out on them in comparison to white ones. This is the racism in football that is deep-rooted, and I actually would be far more offended by Wan-Bissaka lazily being labelled as having an attitude problem than I would about Garnacho saying ‘my nigga, I love you’ to Mainoo. No doubt the latter would spark a huge ‘racism storm’ and Garnacho would probably have his contract terminated and football can collectively pat themselves on the back for their stance, while the former happens everyday and is actually a bigger problem.

If you asked Paul Pogba, for example, if he thinks racism was something he encountered in his 6 years here, I’m very confident he would say yes. None of that would involve him being called a monkey or nigga or similar, and even less likely if the ‘slur’ came from his friends. Probably some of the same posters expressing their rage in this very thread could have been guilty of some of these lazy agendas towards Pogba themselves, without knowing even.

And with regards to referencing race being racist, again - check the definition. Saying ‘Indians like curry’ or ‘Chinese people are short’ is not racist, although I’m sure these things would unanimously be labelled as racist if said outwardly. They are not racist because, whether true or untrue, generalisation or not - liking curry is perfectly acceptable and makes you no less of a person. There is no superiority/inferiority implied by the liking of curry, nor by what Bentancur said. None of this suggest a person is better than. If you said ‘Indians are stupid’, that’s a different matter. Most educated white British adults have been educated (programmed) enough to be mindful of saying ‘you probably like fried chicken?’ to me if they meet me, but that doesn’t mean they have actually been educated (de-programmed) enough to not have subconscious white superiority.

This is the third time you've misquoted/misrepresented what I said. I will say again for the last time what I said was this was as OBVIOUS a racist statement as it gets not that it was 'as racist as it gets'. If you can't engage in a good faith conversation then don't bother.

Does this guy know how to party or what?
Step outside of your comfort zone. Trying new things is a great way to build self-confidence and help you learn to relax even in difficult situations. Use the party as an opportunity to try doing low-risk things that you would not normally do: sing karaoke, talk to someone you don't know, or lead a party game.

This is the third time you've misquoted/misrepresented what I said. I will say again for the last time what I said was this was as OBVIOUS a racist statement as it gets not that it was 'as racist as it gets'. If you can't engage in a good faith conversation then don't bother.

Very rich coming from someone who referred to me as ‘Mr Suarez’ and purports to know what sort of guy I am from (although probably now realises he didn’t know at all). You can have your ‘obvious’ by any means, it is ‘obvious’ that both my initial response nor the subsequent ones are not dependent upon your use of ‘as obvious of’ or not, but about something else. You came in in an attempt to throw judgment and insult, without really knowing what you were talking about, or at least what I was talking about, and are now trying to claim I am not conversing in good faith. It is not me who does not have to bother, nobody was speaking to you in the very first place, you decided to come in and be rude, and are now talking about good faith.

Can anyone provide a picture of Son's cousins so we can verify if they actually all look alike?

For what it’s worth (not much), I have two Asian friends where one took h other’s driving test for the other, on the expectation that the instructor wouldn’t be able to tell the difference between them.

*No Asians were harmed during the conducting of the test.

Very rich coming from someone who referred to me as ‘Mr Suarez’ and purports to know what sort of guy I am from (although probably now realises he didn’t know at all). You can have your ‘obvious’ by any means, it is ‘obvious’ that both my initial response nor the subsequent ones are not dependent upon your use of ‘as obvious of’ or not, but about something else. You came in in an attempt to throw judgment and insult, without really knowing what you were talking about, or at least what I was talking about, and are now trying to claim I am not conversing in good faith. It is not me who does not have to bother, nobody was speaking to you in the very first place, you decided to come in and be rude, and are now talking about good faith.

I called you Mr Suarez after you said " By definition, it's not even a racist statement at all'. The obvious matters because I am talking about the statement being obviously racist not that it is as you misquoted me multiple times 'as racist as it gets'. I am talking about the obviousness of the racism in the statement not the level of racism. Try to understand the difference. I sympathize with you having to deal with racism in your own life and I agree with you when it comes to the hypocrisy of the footballing authorities. Since you shared something about your personal experience with racism let me do the same. I am born and raised and live most of my adult life in Thailand as a third generation immigrant from India and the racism here would have your brain melt. England where I also lived and studied for a while has plenty of racist problems but is still largely civil and governed by law. English people by and large accept that you can be white/black/brown etc and still be English. That does not happen where I live. I am prejudged by the way I look every single day of my life and often multiple times a day by some people who don't even intentionally mean harm. Try projecting your experience to a country where the whole concept of racism is alien to a large portion of the population and justice system, where racist slurs and tropes are as common as 7-11s and where the whole concept of multiculturalism and patriotism is backwards. You're complaining about racism you experienced in Hogwarts legacy while I'm dealing with it in GTA. Enough about me though let's actually examine your arguments in the last post:

Saying some/most Indians like curry or some/most Chinese people are short wouldn't be racist at all in the first instance and would need some evidence to not be racist in the second instance. Saying all Indians like curry or all Chinese people are short is obviously racist. Now take what Bentancur said, some version of they all look the same. That is removing individualism from an entire country/race of people. If someone said all black people look the same would you not look at that as racist and ignorant? Why because you know plenty of black people and they definitely do not look all the same and the exact thing applies to Koreans and Indians and Chinese and Germans and whatever. The statement is racist because beneath is an implication that they are not like us. They look the same but we obviously don't. That is the racist undertone behind that joke/statement and as someone who has dealt with racism I'm surprised you underestimate the power that language, jokes and cultural norms can have. Now is a racist joke between friends ( I don't think anyone knows how close they are just that they are teammates) the worst of all racism and in the top ten of racist problems of a country? Obviously not and I never said or implied that. However it is racist and obviously racist at that.

Why always Uruguay?
IlTqO7.gif

I can't see any vile intention, it's just the satirization of a factual observation: the phenotypical variation among Far East people is much smaller than among Europeans. Obviously Koreans are free to be offended by that stupid joke, but calling him racist and wanting him to be suspended is just insane. It is very different from trying to standardize the behavior of a certain ethnic group(I don't like any kind of speech prohibition, but at least I'd understand the revolt).

Son has said everything is fine, which was expected, but I find this one pretty inexcusable and it's funny how they've claimed it's a 'mistake'.

What was the mistake here? He can't have been intending to say something else. It's not a translation issue. He literally just said they all look the same. I wonder if Son is not fully ok with this but just went along with it for the team.
Yep, we should definitely all be outraged and offended on his behalf. :rolleyes:

If Son isn’t fussed, you tell Bentancur why that was ill advised and we all move on. No need for the commotion.

Yep, we should definitely all be outraged and offended on his behalf. :rolleyes:

If Son isn’t fussed, you tell Bentancur why that was ill advised and we all move on. No need for the commotion.

Why do you think it's okay to say all Korean people look the same?

My post was about whether Son is actually ok with it or if he’s gone through the motions to not cause commotion at the club. Considering how overtly racist the remark was.

Also another example of people making shit up and replying to it as if it’s actually happening. Nobody here is ‘outraged’ and I’m obviously not personally offended. People are just commenting on the remark.