Bentancur racial slur

Will be interesting to see if the FA will impose the minimum 3 match ban or if they will stay clear of this

Son has said everything is fine, which was expected, but I find this one pretty inexcusable and it's funny how they've claimed it's a 'mistake'.

What was the mistake here? He can't have been intending to say something else. It's not a translation issue. He literally just said they all look the same. I wonder if Son is not fully ok with this but just went along with it for the team.

Not surprised from a group of people whose nation is named after a childish insult.

Not surprised from a group of people whose nation is named after a childish insult.
The country name of Uruguay derives from the namesake Río Uruguay, from the Indigenous Guaraní language. There are several interpretations, including "bird-river" ("the river of the uru, via Charruan, urú being a common noun of any wild fowl). The name could also refer to a river snail called uruguá (Pomella megastoma) that was plentiful across its shores.

If they're being a fair and consistent, he should get a ban.

Bit awkward though as it's between teammates.

The country name of Uruguay derives from the namesake Río Uruguay, from the Indigenous Guaraní language. There are several interpretations, including "bird-river" ("the river of the uru, via Charruan, urú being a common noun of any wild fowl). The name could also refer to a river snail called uruguá (Pomella megastoma) that was plentiful across its shores.
Touched a nerve have I, mate?

It's an awful comment and at the very least they should get some racism awareness training.

Bored of these conversations. This whole ‘tackling racism in football’ thing is so often misdirected. Tbh, in society in general. He will probably get banned now for a comment his mate took no offence to at all, while the governing bodies get to look ‘tough on racism’. The real problems with racism in football, and again, society in general - very rarely have any slurs attached to them and go unaddressed everyday. You will see media witch hunts against people like Sterling and Pogba not discussed, but people would be outraged if Sterling’s teammate who could be godfather to his kids mimicked a Jamaican accent talking to him. You will see Dwight Yorke constantly complain about not getting into management, with a general underlying consensus that he doesn’t really ‘seem’ like the management type. Addressing why not is the real problem.

Besides, 90% of the time ‘racism’ is misdefined anyway. Referencing race, nationality isn’t ‘racist’ by definition. I’m largely unbothered by things like this from Bentancur, personally.

Lock thread. Rozay isn’t bothered and Uruguay actually means bird river anyway

Bored of these conversations. This whole ‘tackling racism in football’ thing is so often misdirected. Tbh, in society in general. He will probably get banned now for a comment his mate took no offence to at all, while the governing bodies get to look ‘tough on racism’. The real problems with racism in football, and again, society in general - very rarely have any slurs attached to them and go unaddressed everyday. You will see media witch hunts against people like Sterling and Pogba not discussed, but people would be outraged if Sterling’s teammate who could be godfather to his kids mimicked a Jamaican accent talking to him. You will see Dwight Yorke constantly complain about not getting into management, with a general underlying consensus that he doesn’t really ‘seem’ like the management type. Addressing why not is the real problem.

Besides, 90% of the time ‘racism’ is misdefined anyway. Referencing race, nationality isn’t ‘racist’ by definition. I’m largely unbothered by things like this from Bentancur, personally.

Referencing race or nationality isn't racist by definition obviously but implying that all people of a certain race or nationality look the same is as obvious a racist statement as it gets. That you're unbothered by casual racism between individuals says more about you than this incident.

Referencing race or nationality isn't racist by definition obviously but implying that all people of a certain race or nationality look the same is as obvious a racist statement as it gets. That you're unbothered by casual racism between individuals says more about you than this incident.

It’s actually not ‘as racist as it gets’ tbh. Do you even know what racism actually means? And you know absolutely nothing about me, from my post or otherwise.