Benjamin Sesko | Despite Raees best efforts he’s joining Liepzig. Damn you Raees

Status
Not open for further replies.
The issue boils down to this:

Are you happy with the transfers we made till now?;
Malacia balanced by Pereira - Eriksen on a free - Martinez who we still have to see how he settles in the PL?;
FDJ could be coming to be the most embarrassing transfer in our history - although i hope not!:
Antony is too expensive for us?:
Sesko could have been grabbed very quickly but a few days difference and other teams came swarming round?

We had a very bad season and teams like City and Liverpool got their men in a jiffy and without long-drawn series like Game of Thrones :D

And what have we fixed in our team without getting what we needed most - a good DM?

Can we win the league or at least compete for top four as we are now?

My personal opinion is if the window ends up: Malacia, Martinez, Eriksen, FDJ, Sesko and (optional a RB)

And outs we get, Phil Jones, Bailly, Telles, Ronaldo (?)

I wouldn't complain, the squads young, if the team get top 4 or top 5 and a trophy to get into the CL like the Europa League it would be a huge season because the team would bond in that time.

I'm happy with that, because the following summer the team only really need a CM and RW and the squad is very strong at that point.

Last season we missed about 50 big goal scoring opportunities. Ronaldo and Bruno burned 20 of them.

If we lose or have a unmotivated CR7 a new striker is a absolute must.

Martial looks much better this pre season but he isn’t a 90 minutes player, he often get tired and sloppy the last quarter and if we want to turn draws/losses into wins we need fresh hungry forwards until the last whistle. Teams that can put high pressure on the opponent’s defense when they are tired has much higher chance to score goals then scoring when all players are fresh and full of energy. That’s why Eriksen and at least a new striker is a minimum if we want to compete of one of the CL places.

I said this earlier in the thread that for me Sesko looks like a NFL first round pick. He has the all important ingredients to become a successful striker, the only thing we don’t know is if he has the determination, hunger and discipline to make it all the way to the top. He’s still a teenager but he seems to be technically more developed then both Lukaku and Morata, and we know what players like that cost. Maybe it’s lazy but for me he looks like a young Haaland. Not as lethal and as decisive in front of goal but similar physical attributes but good acceleration and speed for a guy of his size.

Forget about the transfer fee, 35 or 50 mill doesn’t matter if he’s the right guy. United must take chances and he’s one of the better strikers out there who’s young and still developing.

My personal opinion is if the window ends up: Malacia, Martinez, Eriksen, FDJ, Sesko and (optional a RB)

I wouldn't complain, the squads young, if the team get top 4 or top 5 and a trophy to get into the CL like the Europa League it would be a huge season because the team would bond in that time.

I'm happy with that, because the following summer the team only really need a CM and RW and the squad is very strong at that point.

That's not the same thing as i mentioned.
I would surely be happy too with Malacia, Martinez, Eriksen, FDJ, Sesko and (optional a RB) but the last three are not done.

Any of the last three look a stretch right now, wouldn't be surprised to see RB pick up pace if someone can take AWB on loan

We had a very bad season and teams like City and Liverpool got their men in a jiffy and without long-drawn series like Game of Thrones :D
Liverpool signed one (first team) player. I’m sure their fans are delighted.

Man City tried and failed to sign their first choice LB Cucurella who even put in a transfer request, and it now seems like he’ll be off to Chelsea. They also let their rotational LB go in order to facilitate this move too.

Sure, we need[ed] more recruitment this summer than those two did/do, but the grass isn’t always greener with these transfer sagas.

Liverpool signed one (first team) player. I’m sure their fans are delighted.

Man City tried and failed to sign their first choice LB Cucurella who even put in a transfer request, and it now seems like he’ll be off to Chelsea. They also let their rotational LB go in order to facilitate this move too.

Sure, we need[ed] more recruitment this summer than those two did/do, but the grass isn’t always greener with these transfer sagas.

Yes i agree BUT we need a major major uprooting of last year's team because the teams like Newcastle, West Ham etc have done some good business too.
This year is not gonna be an easy one for us having lost six players and only got Malacia, Martinez and Eriksen - till now.

Malacia balanced by Pereira - Eriksen on a free - Martinez who we still have to see how he settles in the PL?;
FDJ could be coming to be the most embarrassing transfer in our history - although i hope not!:
Sesko could have been grabbed very quickly but a few days difference and other teams came swarming round?

And what have we fixed in our team without getting what we needed most - a good DM?

No we can't win the league and it's unlikely we'll get top 4 with our midfield, in my opinion of course

Am I the only one who can see that United are working the transfer market differently than most teams? Look back over the past 5-10 years. We are always late, we are always playing catch-up, we never seem to really know what we are doing or who we want.... or don't we?

We had better get this one over the line.
Martial is flaky at best and Ronaldo is...........a waste of rations at this point and I hope he does the decent thing and fecks off.
Not a chance we loan back we'll need this guy to play a large number of games.

He seems to be the alternative to Antony but he doesn't solve the lack of quality depth on the right. Is it possible ETH plays a two striker system occasionally instead of wingers, assuming Ronaldo stays?
He has done it before at Ajax, using a 4-3-1-2, this would also mean we’d get to play Bruno and eriksen together. Also means sancho misses out. I suppose he’ll change formation depending on the opponent.

As fans, we believe our clubs signings are long drawn out sagas and other clubs are quick.

Reason? We consume our teams news daily. Hourly. By the minute. We hardly look at the news of other teams. So when they make a signing, it seems out of the blue.

There's a great article in The Athletic about the preserved notion of transfers are drawn out more now, than they were before.

The other thing you have to remember is as well, the media push out United news more than other, especially in the UK. We sell news more than any other club.

That's not the same thing as i mentioned.
I would surely be happy too with Malacia, Martinez, Eriksen, FDJ, Sesko and (optional a RB) but the last three are not done.

I fully expect 2 more signings honestly in this window I think the dithering at this stage is due to FDJ but I don't think its wholly a bad thing that the club are waiting for "the right players" not third choice, the window will be judged after although its sad not to get the players before preseason.

I think the main thing is, United aren't as attractive as they once were, once the team starts to build momentum and people want to sign for United again I think future windows should go slightly better.

Yes i agree BUT we need a major major uprooting of last year's team because the teams like Newcastle, West Ham etc have done some good business too.
This year is not gonna be an easy one for us having lost six players and only got Malacia, Martinez and Eriksen - till now.
Agree with you on this. We’re supposed to be rebuilding and they’re not.

I fully expect 2 more signings honestly in this window I think the dithering at this stage is due to FDJ but I don't think its wholly a bad thing that the club are waiting for "the right players" not third choice, the window will be judged after although its sad not to get the players before preseason.

I think the main thing is, United aren't as attractive as they once were, once the team starts to build momentum and people want to sign for United again I think future windows should go slightly better.

Yes, you are right in most of what you say but to build momentum you need to sign class players now and fight for top 4 at all costs.
Without class players it's very difficult to make top four and mid-table teams will not have any fear of you.

We had better get this one over the line.
Martial is flaky at best and Ronaldo is...........a waste of rations at this point and I hope he does the decent thing and fecks off.
Not a chance we loan back we'll need this guy to play a large number of games.
If you want a quick reinforcement for next season, we need to focus on other targets. He's not a starter for a bottom PL club nevermind for one with top 4 ambitions.
In fact, he has yet to prove that he can take over as a main striker for Salzburg.

Yes, you are right in most of what you say but to build momentum you need to sign class players now and fight for top 4 at all costs.
Without class players it's very difficult to make top four and mid-table teams will not have any fear of you.

Agree again, its a chicken and egg situation:
  • You need to sign world class players to get results on the field
  • You need results on the field to get world class players
United need to pay a lot of money to get FDJ, like Liverpool did with VVD under Klopp. Like Man City did with Robinho at the start of the project, and like they did with the next phase with KDB.

Getting FDJ would be a turning point, the first real top manager since SAF (shouts for Mourinho but his attitude was wrong for what the club needed really, maybe due to the Woodward dynamic) who knows.

It's clear United need to just get the signings that ETH wants right now, if that's €80M for FDJ to start that era and get a figure like Scholes and Carrick was then it's a huge move for United it's a catalyst for the team. from there I think it'll be the next stages, results on the field. All of Uniteds buys so far haven't been "second choice" and even Sesko although a gamble in some ways before a break out would be a huge step in the right direction with being on the front foot.

Nobody knows because of players agents, and what players wish to do but we'll see, nobody knows really but it has to start somewhere. Even overpaying this window to get the right players.

Sesko is just one of those where a risk has to be taken, it could end up like being a Werner situation although we'd hope the coaching staff and being with the right group of players. Plus lets face it, he needs the right character because he'd be coming to a club with a lot of expectation after not really winning anything for 10 years, he has to be able to handle that.

Agree again, its a chicken and egg situation:
  • You need to sign world class players to get results on the field
  • You need results on the field to get world class players
United need to pay a lot of money to get FDJ, like Liverpool did with VVD under Klopp. Like Man City did with Robinho at the start of the project, and like they did with the next phase with KDB.

Getting FDJ would be a turning point, the first real top manager since SAF (shouts for Mourinho but his attitude was wrong for what the club needed really, maybe due to the Woodward dynamic) who knows.

It's clear United need to just get the signings that ETH wants right now, if that's €80M for FDJ to start that era and get a figure like Scholes and Carrick was then it's a huge move for United it's a catalyst for the team. from there I think it'll be the next stages, results on the field. All of Uniteds buys so far haven't been "second choice" and even Sesko although a gamble in some ways before a break out would be a huge step in the right direction with being on the front foot.

Nobody knows because of players agents, and what players wish to do but we'll see, nobody knows really but it has to start somewhere. Even overpaying this window to get the right players.

Sesko is just one of those where a risk has to be taken, it could end up like being a Werner situation although we'd hope the coaching staff and being with the right group of players. Plus lets face it, he needs the right character because he'd be coming to a club with a lot of expectation after not really winning anything for 10 years, he has to be able to handle that.

I remember the successful Liverpool teams that won lotsa stuff for a number of years and also United/SAF teams.
Both use to instill fear against all opposition before the game had even started!
It's like playing versus City/Liver in the last few years but on the other hand mid-table and relegation teams have no fear of us now and come to Old Trafford parking the bus in the knowledge that they'll get a scoring chance or two.

I remember the successful Liverpool teams that won lotsa stuff for a number of years and also United/SAF teams.
Both use to instill fear against all opposition before the game had even started!
It's like playing versus City/Liver in the last few years but on the other hand mid-table and relegation teams have no fear of us now and come to Old Trafford parking the bus in the knowledge that they'll get a scoring chance or two.

I don't see it working as well this season for those teams, ETH is adamant on pressing all over the pitch, and those teams in low blocks will be pressed and if they sit deep they'll turn over possession in dangerous positions.

The main thing is if you can get the right players, like you have Martinez who can pass/play between the lines, if FDJ comes you have the same, clever measured passes that we haven't had for frankly (or frenkly) 10 years now. Sancho, Rashford, Martial who can all carry the ball in tight spaces. Eriksen who can unlock defences, Bruno when he's on good form too. I really think the parking the bus situations won't work as well for other teams this season and I expect that we'll probably be getting more points from those teams this season.

Of course big question marks over Fred and McT who of course "try hard" but distribution from that area I don't think they really have what United need from that position.

The biggest concerns are still the FDJ situation, how many games Ronaldo can actually complete this season (IF he stays) and AWB/Dalot there needs to be a better player who can take the ball forward from the right and deliver the right passes/balls because frankly we don't have that. United have struggled from the right for years and of course Sancho solves a big part of that but it's still an issue.

So I just watched an exclusive interview with his agent on Slovenian TV channel. Cant post the media so you'll have to trust my recap and translation. The agent said he doesnt want to name the specific clubs but that there are 2 frontrunners. When asked if the clubs in question were United, Chelsea, PSG and Real Madrid he answered that Premier league, Bundesliga (GER) and Ligue 1 are indeed the 3 leagues where he can see Šeško playing but the question is if already this season or maybe in some years (so I assume that would rule out Madrid but is adding the possibility of going to RB Leipzig/Bayern/Dortmund maybe next season).

Agent then said that the decision will be indeed made by the end of this week. He also said that Šeško's development will be the deciding factor.

When asked if the transfer fee will really reach the rumored 50+mil he answered (and this is the worrying part) that if the only consideration for Šeško would be the financial aspect, then the fee of 50-60mil would be easily reached, but the big question is what does Šeško want for his next step (from this I assume that there is a real possibility that a team buys him and loans him back to Salzburg this year. This would imply that the team is RB Leipzig because they for sure wont have to pay as much as others).

In other Slovenian media there are two more articles from today. This one corroborates the 3 concrete offers to the player from United, Chelsea and PSG and also says that there is a possibility of a move to RB Leipzig, basically recap of the video interview above. The second article just basically recaps the Romano tweet and doesnt add nothing new.

Last edited:
Reactions: Invictus
So I just watched an exclusive interview with his agent on Slovenian TV channel. Cant post the media so you'll have to trust my recap and translation. The agent said he doesnt want to name the specific clubs but that there are 2 frontrunners. When asked if the clubs in question were United, Chelsea, PSG and Real Madrid he answered that Premier league, Bundesliga (GER) and Ligue 1 are indeed the 3 leagues where he can see Šeško playing but the question is if already this season or maybe in some years (so I assume that would rule out Madrid but is adding the possibility of going to RB Leipzig/Bayern/Dortmund maybe next season).

Agent then said that the decision will be indeed made by the end of this week. He also said that Šeško's development will be the deciding factor.

When asked if the transfer fee will really reach the rumored 50+mil he answered (and this is the worrying part) that if the only consideration for Šeško would be the financial aspect, then the fee of 50-60mil would be easily reached, but the big question is what does Šeško want for his next step (from this I assume that there is a real possibility that a team buys him and loans him back to Salzburg this year. This would imply that the team is RB Leipzig because they for sure wont have to pay as big as others).

In other Slovenian media there are two more articles from today. This one corroborates the 3 concrete offers to the player from United, Chelsea and PSG and also says that there is a possibility of a move to RB Leipzig, basically recap of the video interview above. The second article just basically recaps the Romano tweet and doesnt add nothing new.

Dortmund are the style of club he might see the Haaland route, but developmentally he'd get plenty of time at Chelsea considering Werners situation, and of course United with Ronaldo being 37.

I can't see PSG, Madrid, Bayern, Leipzig (heavily rumoured with Werner).

The three clubs I think are going to be Dortmund (Haller situation) United and Chelsea.

Can anyone confirm whether or not Roy Keane has, at any stage in the past, ended the career of one of Sesko's senior relatives?
No but I think Keane does mention in his autobiography once staring out Sesko’s Nan’s Great Aunt

When asked if the transfer fee will really reach the rumored 50+mil he answered (and this is the worrying part) that if the only consideration for Šeško would be the financial aspect, then the fee of 50-60mil would be easily reached, but the big question is what does Šeško want for his next step (from this I assume that there is a real possibility that a team buys him and loans him back to Salzburg this year. This would imply that the team is RB Leipzig because they for sure wont have to pay as much as others).

Leipzig wouldn't need to buy him and loan him back, it's the same organization, they'll just keep him at Salzburg for a year and shift him to Germany next summer. To me this rules out Leipzig.

To me our best bet here is to buy him and loan him back to Salzburg. I want him, he looks he has the potential to get to the level of Haaland and Nunez, but we shouldn't be relying on a 19 year old from Austria to lead our team in the premier league, too big a step up, too much pressure. We buy him, secure the signing, he stays in Salzburg, continues his development, next year Ronaldo's contract is up, we bring him in.

Good post. Cheers for the info :)
If I was him we would be pretty close to if not bottom of that list. We’ve not been developing young players as well as in the past. Recently our youth have had various well publicised problems from the more personal and criminal to not looking like they take the game or the club seriously enough or over promotion of players who just aren’t good enough. Bling culture etc. Add to that the disillusionment of Ronadlo, FDJs reticence to joining…. We just aren’t in a strong position to pull a player with options. It’ll be another Bellingham.

Fingers crossed but I see him going to Leipzig if he’s serious about his slower development. If he’s going for stardom and money PSG can offer him Messi Neymar and Mbappe behind him and bucket loads of goals for the next 4 years and annual CL football and all the riches in the world. We aren’t really at the races unless we tell him he’s our starting #9 and we think he’ll be a star player for us, EL is perfect to bed in etc and we pay him a lot of cash

Last edited:
I said it before and I'll say it again. As a Slovenian, it is way too early for him to play serious football. He is a budget version of Lukaku, let alone Haaland. We shouldn't be throwing 50 million at him.

Leipzig wouldn't need to buy him and loan him back, it's the same organization, they'll just keep him at Salzburg for a year and shift him to Germany next summer. To me this rules out Leipzig.
Yeah I agree with you, sorry maybe I didnt get the point across well. From the way the agent aswered the Q:"will the fee reach 50+mil" it was evident that there are 2 possibities. Option A: good financial package for the player in which case also the fee would reach the quoted figure (presumably United, Chelsea..). But then he adds, that the real question is, if Šeško really wants that big move now or would he rather progress step by step - this is implying that there is an option B- a move in where the fee wouldnt be as big as quoted or maybe even no fee at all (so Leipzig).

Yeah I agree with you, sorry maybe I didnt get the point across well. From the way the agent aswered the Q:"will the fee reach 50+mil" it was evident that there are 2 possibities. Option A: good financial package for the player in which case also the fee would reach the quoted figure (presumably United, Chelsea..). But then he ads, that the real question is, if Šeško really wants that big move now or would he rather progress step by step - this is implying that there is an option B- a move in where the fee wouldnt be as big as quoted or maybe even no fee at all.
Fair enough.

Mature attitude from the player, turn down some of the biggest clubs in the world to stay in Austria and develop yourself.

I said this earlier in the thread that for me Sesko looks like a NFL first round pick. He has the all important ingredients to become a successful striker, the only thing we don’t know is if he has the determination, hunger and discipline to make it all the way to the top. He’s still a teenager but he seems to be technically more developed then both Lukaku and Morata, and we know what players like that cost. Maybe it’s lazy but for me he looks like a young Haaland. Not as lethal and as decisive in front of goal but similar physical attributes but good acceleration and speed for a guy of his size.

Forget about the transfer fee, 35 or 50 mill doesn’t matter if he’s the right guy. United must take chances and he’s one of the better strikers out there who’s young and still developing.

I really like this assessment. He's already above everyone else in his age group while his current attributes make him already look better than a number of established strikers in the game. NFL first round picks also look like that compared to many seasoned pros too. Like any prospect, other elements (drive, hunger, discipline) are not completely known, but giving him the opportunity to grow under a very good teacher (ETH) will put the odds of greatness on his side.

I'd rather have Sesko over FdJ. This is based on nothing.

No idea why, have seen much more of FdJ and just some Youtubes of young Sesko. Gut feeling.
Sesko type signings are my favourite because when you're not familiar with the player, their potential is limitless (at least in one's head) but this is crazy talk. Frenkie will transform our midfield. There's a definite reason we're persisting despite all the hassle.

There's more of an opening at Chelsea, no real recognised striker. We have Ronaldo and Martial in our squad. Then if you factor in Champions League football and London it should be an easy case for Chelsea.

Mature attitude from the player, turn down some of the biggest clubs in the world to stay in Austria and develop yourself.

Well he did acutally turn us down once in 2019 when we've bid 1.6 mil but he then went to Salzburg and his agent commented on the decision with similar words as today - that Šeško chose the easier development path over the glamour transfer. Whats interesting to note from that linked article is that in 2018-2019 there was also concrete interest from Ajax for him.. guess who was Ajax's manager then :wenger:

Well he did acutally turn us down once in 2019 when we've bid 1.6 mil but he then went to Salzburg and his agent commented on the decision with similar words as today - that Šeško chose the easier development path over the glamour transfer. Whats interesting to note from that linked article is that in 2018-2019 there was also concrete interest from Ajax for him.. guess who was Ajax's manager then :wenger:
Interesting, the club and Ten Hag were independently monitoring him, explains why this moved so quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.