Astronomy & Space Exploration

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
James Webb telescope discovers giant question mark galaxy in deep space
The James Webb Space Telescope spied a cosmic question mark in deep space while observing two young stars located more than 1,000 light-years from Earth.
https://www.livescience.com/space/j...vers-giant-question-mark-galaxy-in-deep-space

JWST Spots A Galactic Question Mark Hiding In Deep Space
https://www.iflscience.com/jwst-spots-a-galactic-question-mark-hiding-in-deep-space-70075
-- A likely explanation for the peculiar shape is that the object is a galaxy merger, either well underway or one where two galaxies have started interacting. We know several pairs in the local universe like this. One famous example is the Mice Galaxies. --

Mercurial

James Webb telescope discovers giant question mark galaxy in deep space
The James Webb Space Telescope spied a cosmic question mark in deep space while observing two young stars located more than 1,000 light-years from Earth.
https://www.livescience.com/space/j...vers-giant-question-mark-galaxy-in-deep-space

JWST Spots A Galactic Question Mark Hiding In Deep Space
https://www.iflscience.com/jwst-spots-a-galactic-question-mark-hiding-in-deep-space-70075
-- A likely explanation for the peculiar shape is that the object is a galaxy merger, either well underway or one where two galaxies have started interacting. We know several pairs in the local universe like this. One famous example is the Mice Galaxies. --
Who forgot to hand in their quest?

RoyH1

Well done India. Probably on a fraction of what it costs other countries to do it. I hope we get some pictures soon.

This must another humiliation for Putin happening just days after the Russians failed in their own mission.

dinostar77

Comment: Not sure if it was on this thread or another, but it was suggested that the JWST would be a very good way to educate the world at large that we arent alone in our galaxy without worrying the masses ala NASA's 1950s Brooking report findings.

We might get there in next 10 years or so, with hard science. That would be so cool. Shame is that wherever we find life, we wont be able to go see it.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-66786611

Nasa's James Webb Space Telescope may have discovered tentative evidence of a sign of life on a faraway planet.

It may have detected a molecule called dimethyl sulphide (DMS). On Earth, at least, this is only produced by life.

The researchers stress that the detection on the planet 120 light years away is "not robust" and more data is needed to confirm its presence.

https://www.livescience.com/space/e...rth-from-across-the-galaxy-new-study-suggests

In the new study, uploaded to the pre-print server arXiv on Aug. 28, researchers took a spectrum of Earth's atmosphere and deliberately decreased the quality of the data to mimic how it would look to an observer dozens of light-years away. The team then used a computer model, which replicated JWST's sensor capabilities, to see if the spacecraft could detect the key biosignatures and technosignatures from the dataset, such as methane and oxygen, produced by biological life, and nitrogen dioxide and chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs), which are produced by humans.

The results, which have not yet been peer-reviewed, show that JWST could likely detect all the key markers of non-intelligent and intelligent life in our planet's atmosphere.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
Comment: Not sure if it was on this thread or another, but it was suggested that the JWST would be a very good way to educate the world at large that we arent alone in our galaxy without worrying the masses ala NASA's 1950s Brooking report findings.

We might get there in next 10 years or so, with hard science. That would be so cool. Shame is that wherever we find life, we wont be able to go see it.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-66786611

Nasa's James Webb Space Telescope may have discovered tentative evidence of a sign of life on a faraway planet.

It may have detected a molecule called dimethyl sulphide (DMS). On Earth, at least, this is only produced by life.

The researchers stress that the detection on the planet 120 light years away is "not robust" and more data is needed to confirm its presence.

https://www.livescience.com/space/e...rth-from-across-the-galaxy-new-study-suggests

In the new study, uploaded to the pre-print server arXiv on Aug. 28, researchers took a spectrum of Earth's atmosphere and deliberately decreased the quality of the data to mimic how it would look to an observer dozens of light-years away. The team then used a computer model, which replicated JWST's sensor capabilities, to see if the spacecraft could detect the key biosignatures and technosignatures from the dataset, such as methane and oxygen, produced by biological life, and nitrogen dioxide and chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs), which are produced by humans.

The results, which have not yet been peer-reviewed, show that JWST could likely detect all the key markers of non-intelligent and intelligent life in our planet's atmosphere.
Oh god please, well not god. Anyway ill be reading all about this tomorrow

Raoul

Admin
Staff
https://www.cam.ac.uk/stories/carbon-found-in-habitable-zone-exoplanet

Methane and caron dioxide found on goldilocks zone planet
I think we're only beginning to scratch the surface on habitable exoplanets. With estimates anywhere from 1-3 trillion planets in the Milky Way alone and probably 4x that many in Andromeda (where exoplanets have already been identified), there are likely to be at least thousands of goldilocks zone planets with what we deem to be conditions capable of supporting life.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I think we're only beginning to scratch the surface on habitable exoplanets. With estimates anywhere from 1-3 trillion planets in the Milky Way alone and probably 4x that many in Andromeda (where exoplanets have already been identified), there are likely to be at least thousands of goldilocks zone planets with what we deem to be conditions capable of supporting life.
Doubtless there are a significant number of planets in what is termed the Goldilocks Zone of a range of stars. And doubtless many of those are not only capable of supporting life, but do so.

And there are an almost infinite types of life. From single cell bacteria to more complex types.
But what we would regard as intelligent lifeforms may not be that abundant.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
Doubtless there are a significant number of planets in what is termed the Goldilocks Zone of a range of stars. And doubtless many of those are not only capable of supporting life, but do so.

And there are an almost infinite types of life. From single cell bacteria to more complex types.
But what we would regard as intelligent lifeforms may not be that abundant.
Odds are we're one of the first, if not the first

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
:lol: damn true. Delusions of grandeur, I guess
But you need intelligent people to enable you to see how stupid people are all around the world.

Without them you would just know your local village idiot.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
What makes you say this with any certainty
Quite clearly I'm far from certain, because we know very little. Is intelligence probable?

15 billion years sound like a lot, but it really isn't. It took us 5 billion to get here and stars had to go supernova multiple times to get the needed heavy elements to make life possible. And then, after just attaining intelligence, we nearly destroyed (are destroying?) ourselves. The ludicrous odds of intelligent life evolving even here is miniscule. It is so feckin tiny you wouldn't believe. Now, yes. The universe is one big feckin place. So there could be intelligent life out there. But not likely in our galaxy.

But Sagan said... But Fermi said... Who knows. We are all way too confident that we're not the only intelligent (well, ok. Semi-intelligent) beings out there.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
Quite clearly I'm far from certain, because we know very little. Is intelligence probable?

15 billion years sound like a lot, but it really isn't. It took us 5 billion to get here and stars had to go supernova multiple times to get the needed heavy elements to make life possible. And then, after just attaining intelligence, we nearly destroyed (are destroying?) ourselves. The ludicrous odds of intelligent life evolving even here is miniscule. It is so feckin tiny you wouldn't believe. Now, yes. The universe is one big feckin place. So there could be intelligent life out there. But not likely in our galaxy.

But Sagan said... But Fermi said... Who knows. We are all way too confident that we're not the only intelligent (well, ok. Semi-intelligent) beings out there.
You missed out Drake. As you say the odds are small but the universe is big, we don't know is the truth. I still don't know why you say we're quite likely the first, but I get your overall point. The other issue is the lifespan of potential civilisations and the distances in question, we could be effectively alone in the universe based on those considerations.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
You missed out Drake. As you say the odds are small but the universe is big, we don't know is the truth. I still don't know why you say we're quite likely the first, but I get you're overall point. The other issue is the lifespan of potential civilisations and the distances in question, we could be effectively alone in the universe based on those considerations.
We are without a doubt effectively alone. Why could we be the first? Well, it had to start somewhere, so why not with us?

What I said was we are quite likely one of the first, if not the first. If intelligent life is improbable, and the road to intelligence even more so, one weighs up the size and age of the universe, and the odds of evolving into intelligent beings. The first is well known. It's gigantic. Infinite... (of course, if it's infinite then there are an infinite number of intelligent beings out there and I'm wrong).

I believe it's likely that the universe isn't infinite and intelligence is highly improbable. So, given the time we've had, there probably aren't that many intelligent beings out there (and none close enough to mean anything, as you've stated).

Anyway. Everyone knows the universe is massive. Fewer know how absurd our evolutionary history is. But, I could be wrong. The universe could be teeming with Von Neumanns

giggs-beckham

Clueless
I'm just hoping we can confirm any life/bio signatures from exoplanets in the coming years. Brian Coxx says the same that intelligent life could be very rare, I probably agree... I just don't want to

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I'm just hoping we can confirm any life/bio signatures from exoplanets in the coming years. Brian Coxx says the same that intelligent life could be very rare, I probably agree... I just don't want to
He does indeed.
In his excitement book Human Universe, he outlines the biological hurdles that life, from single cell bacteria need to overcome in order to evolve into complex lifeforms.
My view for what it is worth is that life in the form of single or even multicellular may well be relatively abundant.
But who knows whether any will have evolved into relatively intelligent ones.

dinostar77

They think we can do it now, find the key markers. Confirmation will be a different.

i disagree with Brian Cox, theres 200+ billion stars in the milky way alone, intelligent life is probably everywhere. Finding it and confirming the findings is the very difficult part.

giggs-beckham

Clueless

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
They think we can do it now, find the key markers. Confirmation will be a different.

i disagree with Brian Cox, theres 200+ billion stars in the milky way alone, intelligent life is probably everywhere. Finding it and confirming the findings is the very difficult part.

Just because there are such a large number of stars in our galaxy doesn't necessarily mean that intelligent life is everywhere. Were that the case, we would have probably detected some evidence of this by now.

So what do you base your assumption on?

giggs-beckham

Clueless
Just because there are such a large number of stars in our galaxy doesn't necessarily mean that intelligent life is everywhere. Were that the case, we would have probably detected some evidence of this by now.

So what do you base your assumption on?
Analysing exoplanetary atmospheres using spectroscopy is in its early stages and SETI scientists believe we haven't been looking as hard as we could've. Not to say you're wrong, just putting some info on the counter side of the debate

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Analysing exoplanetary atmospheres using spectroscopy is in its early stages and SETI scientists believe we haven't been looking as hard as we could've. Not to say you're wrong, just putting some info on the counter side of the debate
And nothing wrong with that. This is a subject you are definitely interested in judging by your posts. And so am I.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Always enjoy our chats mate. Here's to many more, good health
I certainly do as well. I have always had a strong interest in science and physics in particular. And anything to do with the Universe and Cosmos is just so fascinating.
We are living in an age of such wonderful discovery, you can't help but be totally absorbed in it.
Thank you.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
This is the nicest thread on the Caf, and it's mostly because of @Buster15.
Do you know, that is the nicest thing anyone has ever said about me. I do always look forward to reading your posts as I normally learn something so thank you.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
We are without a doubt effectively alone. Why could we be the first? Well, it had to start somewhere, so why not with us?

What I said was we are quite likely one of the first, if not the first. If intelligent life is improbable, and the road to intelligence even more so, one weighs up the size and age of the universe, and the odds of evolving into intelligent beings. The first is well known. It's gigantic. Infinite... (of course, if it's infinite then there are an infinite number of intelligent beings out there and I'm wrong).

I believe it's likely that the universe isn't infinite and intelligence is highly improbable. So, given the time we've had, there probably aren't that many intelligent beings out there (and none close enough to mean anything, as you've stated).

Anyway. Everyone knows the universe is massive. Fewer know how absurd our evolutionary history is. But, I could be wrong. The universe could be teeming with Von Neumanns
There's also a temporal issue to be considered. For instance, if a human like civilization with technology comparable to ours existed in a solar system 100 light years away - 4 billion years ago, they may look at earth and see something like this. Not much life action going on here. Likewise, when we find exoplanets in the habitable zone, its entirely plausible that although they may exhibit conditions favorable to some form of life, that it may have either not happened yet or happened and already gone extinct. And since we can't measure for either, life very well could've existed in abundance on vastly different time scales from the one that we are attempting to measure with from present day earth.

Last edited: