Arne Slot | Liverpool manager (Posture Watch)

What squad did Liverpool have out? When we lost to Rosenborg was in work the next morning and it was on the news… I’m like it’s a friendly but obviously being the biggest club in the world were headlines for everything…. This won’t get mentioned much

Salah, Bradley, Quansah, Jones, Tsimikas, Elliott, Szoboszlai, Endo, Carvalho all played in the 1st half and were 1-0 down at half time.

The second half was more youth oriented, and they were better than the first team squad.

:lol:

Salah, Bradley, Quansah, Jones, Tsimikas, Elliott, Szoboszlai, Endo, Carvalho all played in the 1st half and were 1-0 down at half time.

The second half was more youth oriented, and they were better than the first team squad.

:lol:
That actually doesn’t surprise me, as established players will be only half there mentally thinking it should be time for the masseuse after training.. and generally treating it like a large team drill.

The younger players see it as a chance to prove they could earn minutes this year, qualify for a good loan slot because they are close to being ready, etc.They have something to play for and we’re probably close to the full effort they can give. That doesn’t make a draw for them horrible. But it would have been better for the lads if it ended 1-1 because they took Preston 1-0 second half.

That actually doesn’t surprise me, as established players will be only half there mentally thinking it should be time for the masseuse after training.. and generally treating it like a large team drill.

The younger players see it as a chance to prove they could earn minutes this year, qualify for a good loan slot because they are close to being ready, etc.They have something to play for and we’re probably close to the full effort they can give. That doesn’t make a draw for them horrible. But it would have been better for the lads if it ended 1-1 because they took Preston 1-0 second half.
Yeah it's absolutely not shocking at all - in a recent podcast, Lineker was talking about pre-season games and how he'd tell the opposition CB to go easy, that it was just about building fitness, etc. It's a very different objective for 1st team and youth players, and I'm amazed that people give pre-season results any importance at all. It's usually so dependent on where the opposition team's fitness is, and sometimes being 1-2 weeks ahead can be a massive difference - but won't say much about how the season will actually go.

I will be really impressed with him if he can go anywhere near what Klopp did. I can't imagine many more difficult tasks than taking over Liverpool at this time. He is taking over a team that mainly due to Klopp has overperformed for many seasons - but with a manager who has failed to replace their best players.

Van Dijk is 33 in a few months - his main replacement Konate has been injured a lot, and not been anywhere near that level. There were big hopes for Gomez but at the age of 27, he still hasn't established himself. Matip is gone and behind Konate and VVD they are left with a few talented youngsters. They need to get a new player in, and he has to be quality.

TAA still isn't convincing as a right-back - and Robertson seems to have lost a bit of energy from his earlier days. Apart from that, they have Tsimikas and Bradley - the first isn't good enough - Bradley is inexperienced but talented .

Midfield looks good - but Szoboszlai and Gravenberch didn't live up to expectations last season without being bad. McAllister is probably the only quality signing (if we also take into consideration the lack of injuries) Liverpool have made in several seasons.

Salah at best has a few seasons left, and he looks to drop a bit in quality season by season. None of the wingers/strikers they have bought have been anywhere near Salah, Sane or Firmino in their prime. Gakpo so far has looked a lot better for Holland than for Liverpool and Diaz doesn't produce enough goals/assists. Jota has by far been the most impressive, but he usually struggles with injuries and Nunez is not prolific at all - and on top of everything might be suspended

Klopp shafted him in part, getting more involved in transfers and bringing in inferior quality. Team is nowhere near the one he had at his peak.

Hang on...you've signed some bloke with a big forehead and Phil Jones MkII and you think that's enough to make up a 22 point deficit? I'd say our literal shit is still good enough for a top4 finish and a good cup run or two.

Though those glasses do look bloody daft!!
I think you misunderstood the ‘literal shit’ part. The clue was in the word ‘literal’, because your new manager has been analysing the players stool samples.

I think you misunderstood the ‘literal shit’ part. The clue was in the word ‘literal’, because your new manager has been analysing the players stool samples.
Ah, fair enough, I didnt pick up on that....my mistake

I will be really impressed with him if he can go anywhere near what Klopp did. I can't imagine many more difficult tasks than taking over Liverpool at this time. He is taking over a team that mainly due to Klopp has overperformed for many seasons - but with a manager who has failed to replace their best players.

Van Dijk is 33 in a few months - his main replacement Konate has been injured a lot, and not been anywhere near that level. There were big hopes for Gomez but at the age of 27, he still hasn't established himself. Matip is gone and behind Konate and VVD they are left with a few talented youngsters. They need to get a new player in, and he has to be quality.

TAA still isn't convincing as a right-back - and Robertson seems to have lost a bit of energy from his earlier days. Apart from that, they have Tsimikas and Bradley - the first isn't good enough - Bradley is inexperienced but talented .

Midfield looks good - but Szoboszlai and Gravenberch didn't live up to expectations last season without being bad. McAllister is probably the only quality signing (if we also take into consideration the lack of injuries) Liverpool have made in several seasons.

Salah at best has a few seasons left, and he looks to drop a bit in quality season by season. None of the wingers/strikers they have bought have been anywhere near Salah, Sane or Firmino in their prime. Gakpo so far has looked a lot better for Holland than for Liverpool and Diaz doesn't produce enough goals/assists. Jota has by far been the most impressive, but he usually struggles with injuries and Nunez is not prolific at all - and on top of everything might be suspended
Really good assessment of our squad. The bright points of last season were the emergence of Bradley and Quansah, the former being that good that I actually didn't miss TAA at RB due to the defensive solidity that Bradley offers. A lot of unanswered questions for us this season....Salah, VVD and Allison will be predictablly good, it all depends on how the rest of the squad perform.

Klopp is a generational manager like Pep, SAF and etc. It's almost impossible to replace him and perform as well. Unless, Slot is in that category too which I have my major doubts.

Should be aiming for top 4 really.
Can’t see a title challenge this year and wouldnt be surprised if they finished 5th or 6th.
Personally I think they are a little light at DM, could use a Fabinho clone.

Should be aiming for top 4 really.
Can’t see a title challenge this year and wouldnt be surprised if they finished 5th or 6th.
Personally I think they are a little light at DM, could use a Fabinho clone.
I think we'll end up anywhere from 3rd to 8th. It's hard to really predict anything other than City being at least 2nd. Arsenal as the other top two side is likely.

Personally I feel like we need a DM or midfielder of some kind. We need a CB too. Currently we have Van Dijk, Konate, Gomez & Quansah. Gomez might be seen as more of a utility defender so we're down to three CB's, one of which is injured a lot (Konate). I've got a feeling TAA might leave. That'd be a blow.

I think Ipswich will beat them in that opening game. They will be buzzing and Liverpool have a whole new system and so many questions about the make-up of their squad and how good certain assets really are.

The pressure will then be on from the off, but home fixtures will guarantee points and it will be up to him to get the system right and decide who the best eleven are.

I think there are real questions about a number of their players and there is a lot more to do than meets the eye. The fact no concrete moves have been made is potentially worrying for Slot. He needs a good start with those fixtures.

I think we'll end up anywhere from 3rd to 8th. It's hard to really predict anything other than City being at least 2nd. Arsenal as the other top two side is likely.

Personally I feel like we need a DM or midfielder of some kind. We need a CB too. Currently we have Van Dijk, Konate, Gomez & Quansah. Gomez might be seen as more of a utility defender so we're down to three CB's, one of which is injured a lot (Konate). I've got a feeling TAA might leave. That'd be a blow.

Feels a bit like all of Liverpool, United, Spurs, Villa, Chelsea and Newcastle fall into that "anywhere from 3rd to 8th" camp this coming season. They all have challenges and limitations that make it somewhat unlikely they break into the very settled looking top 2, but also all have decent enough players that they should be able to sleepwalk their way into at least 8th ahead of the likes of West Ham, even if they perform badly.

If you get a decent fee for TAA it might not be a disaster as long as a decent replacement is found.
Will depend on how Slot wants you to play. If he copies Klopp and doesn’t mind bypassing midfield then you really need a good long pass distributor from the full backs. If more possession based then I don’t think you’ll miss TAA that much.
It’s hard to predict but our experience of losing a long standing successful manager should be the blueprint of how not to do it.

City and Arsenal should bet top two in some order but its very hard to pick the 3-8 spots in the league this year.

Liverpool will fall off but it wouldn't surprise me if the drop still kept them well in contention for top four, neither would it surprise me if things went to shit a bit and they were struggling to qualify for Europe.

To be honest, no other side in that 3-8 group has really done enough so far this summer to really cement themselves as clear top four favorites either. A lot of sides seem to be targeting very young players and thinking more about the post-Pep cycle they could have in 2-4 years, rather than focusing on improving for this coming year.

Real name is Arend.
That's a name (fairly uncommon), but also means 'eagle' in Dutch. Arne is a more common name (but not super common), but means nothing as a word in modern Dutch.

How about that.

He seems so incredibly uninspiring. What a step down in the personality stakes.

Still that's only one aspect of being a manager and his Eridevisie win ratio was almost comparable to Ten Hag's. Well significantly worse but good enough to win the league.

Let's see.

Worse players, worse manager, no signings. FSG got so much (undeserving) praise during the Klopp era, when all the did was lucked into a good manager.

Similar to how Ferguson covered for the Glazers for so many years, the team won’t be more than the sum of its parts anymore.

If they don’t bring in a few quality players, and Slot starts poorly, they will be the fall guys now.

We have had 2 highly regarded Dutch coach in LVG and ETH. Both were very naive in PL. Their tactics were either too attacking, too defensive or suicidal. It can swing from one extreme to another. The learning curve in PL will be steep for Slot too.

I can only pray that for us after 2 years with ETH, he already "figured out" PL and could use proper tactics to improve us.

When asked what was Slot's answer to Klopp's often-dubbed 'heavy metal football', Elliott said: "It's very elegant, Dutch style, it's very nice. The style of play is a lot different. It's more about in possession now.

It's good to know Slot style of play is very different to Klopp. Popcorn time! Dutch possession based football like LVG? :lol:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/articles/c4ngk7989z9o
Klopp’s style was “heavy metal” only before they won major titles at Liverpool, and at Dortmund. It’s very much been a possession based system which led to their league and CL and has been prevalent ever since.

Klopp’s style was “heavy metal” only before they won major titles at Liverpool, and at Dortmund. It’s very much been a possession based system which led to their league and CL and has been prevalent ever since.

There is a huge difference between Klopp's possession based tactics with the Dutch one.

Will he last a season? Pressure will be on. Keanes right though. Their squad isn’t that great. Klopp made then over achieve a lot of the time.

When asked what was Slot's answer to Klopp's often-dubbed 'heavy metal football', Elliott said: "It's very elegant, Dutch style, it's very nice. The style of play is a lot different. It's more about in possession now.

It's good to know Slot style of play is very different to Klopp. Popcorn time! Dutch possession based football like LVG? :lol:

It’s funny because the Dutch and Germans are known for great football. But whenever we’ve had Dutch in the premier league it hasn’t worked.

Slot played nothing like Van Gaal in the Eredivisie: very vertical football, with tons of progressive passing.
A lot of these possession comments are based on stats, but for Klopp and Slot, the 'issue' is that their teams will always be possession-heavy just because of how much better than the opposition they are. Even if they're not particularly trying to keep the ball for the sake of it, they will in most cases see far the most of it anyway. And then against other top teams, they might adapt their style to counter specific strenghts they'll be encountering. So you'd have to look at the teams in much more detail to determine whether they really are possession-focused.

It was a tongue in cheek comment. LVG style of play is ancient now.
Ah! Well, you never know. I was going to say there are still people that play like that, but I think that might actually not be true, even in the Netherlands. Or not anyone successful, anyway!

I think we're all gonna be disappointed when Slot does well with them.

Tbh even if he does well there, he is a lot less dislikable than Klopp ever was (including in his time at Dortmund). I don’t think he seems like such an arrogant bastard… yet.

Quality control
It's going to be embarrassing when he completely outclasses ten hag.

BUT WE WON THE CUP BOYS.

Tbh even if he does well there, he is a lot less dislikable than Klopp ever was (including in his time at Dortmund). I don’t think he seems like such an arrogant bastard… yet.
I just want him to have us very competitive while staying animated on the sidelines. I want him standing and waving arms. I want him going after refs to get future calls to go our way. That’s what a mgr should be. It it doesn’t pan out so be it. As long as he stays involved during matches I can live with the transition period. I can’t imagine a meek mgr on the sidelines.

I just want him to have us very competitive while staying animated on the sidelines. I want him standing and waving arms. I want him going after refs to get future calls to go our way. That’s what a mgr should be. It it doesn’t pan out so be it. As long as he stays involved during matches I can live with the transition period. I can’t imagine a meek mgr on the sidelines.
He definitely moans at refs, but always in a civil way.