Television Anyone recommend me any TV Shows?

I don't think "deep" television exists. Maybe your problem is with the people who like to think of their shows as "deep" rather than with the show itself. There's no debate to be had really when you talk about the acting being on the same level though, we just see things very differently. In my view the acting in Justified is good, nothing more. It's excellent in Mad Men. Simple difference of opinions. It has more to do with how I view justified than Mad Men really. It's good fun but I don't think it's great TV.

You haven't seen The Wire right? Now that's deep.

I'm currently on Episode 5, Season 2 of Breaking Bad. It's great but is it always so depressing?

A few programs I've seen mentioned around the interwebs as being pretty good.. Anybody able to personally recommend any of these, so I have somebody to blame if they're awful? :)

Bates Motel, Banshee, Orphan Black, The Bridge, The Fall, Top Of The Lake, Ray Donovan, In The Flesh, The Ghost Army.

I definitely plan on picking up Banshee.. not sure what else. Orphan Black sounds interesting.

This may be a bold claim but I think Ray Donovan is going to be a hugely successful and popular hit.

I base this opinion purely on the fact that his wife is incredibly annoying which seems to be the prerequisite to greatness on TV.

This may be a bold claim but I think Ray Donovan is going to be a hugely successful and popular hit.

I base this opinion purely on the fact that his wife is incredibly annoying which seems to be the prerequisite to greatness on TV.

Oh shit.. you just solved TV.

Are you Derren Brown? He blows my mind aswel.

This is the best description of Mad Men:

As for the show itself, I think, at the risk of sounding elitist, the general public are too used to watching plot-driven melodrama, and subsequently get bored by there being "nothing happening" in Mad Men. The characters on Mad Men are so richly written and developed; so flawed and yet so real. The dialogue is outstanding, and the show is an anthology almost, whose central axis is the history (and commentary thereof) of America itself.

It's way more interesting, the dialogue is better, the soundtrack is better and I'd say it's about even on the acting score. So other than cinematography, I don't see how Mad Men is better. But of course for some, characters sitting around drinking, smoking, checking out their secretaries and discussing the topical issues of the time constitutes deep television.

That's just absurd. Don Draper is one of the most engrossing TV characters ever, an existential anti-hero struggling with identity and the pursuit of happiness. I don't know what kind of soundtrack Justified has but Mad Men has so many moments when the music has been used to such a poignant effect. "Don't Think Twice It's Alright", "Tomorrow Never Knows", "You Only Live Twice", "Both Sides Now"...

I think the absolute top tier of shows is this: The Wire, The Sopranos, Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, Boardwalk Empire, The Office.

Next is: Justified, Dexter (although that's really only based on the first 4 seasons,) The Shield (hugely underrated), Rome, Deadwood (I'm halfway through Season 2 - it's good, but not THAT good,) Freaks and Geeks (only one season, but it was fantastic.)

Then you have: Mad Men (full disclosure, I've only gotten through 2 seasons, but it's been absolute torture,) Walking Dead (could've been good,) House of Cards, Fringe + Prison Break + 24 (all fall into the guilty pleasure category,) Battlestar Galactica (not really understood all the praise, but entertaining enough.)

And finally: Sons of Anarchy - the single most infuriating show of all time. Watchable enough, but incredibly melodramatic, and very overrated.

I haven't seen The West Wing - I know, I know, I'll get around to it some day.

The show just gets better after that, season 5 is one of my favourite TV show seasons ever period.

That's just absurd. Don Draper is one of the most engrossing TV characters ever, an existential anti-hero struggling with identity and the pursuit of happiness. I don't know what kind of soundtrack Justified has but Mad Men has so many moments when the music has been used to such a poignant effect. "Don't Think Twice It's Alright", "Tomorrow Never Knows", "You Only Live Twice", "Both Sides Now"...

The show just gets better after that, season 5 is one of my favourite TV show seasons ever period.
Thanks to Netflix, I plan on giving it another try soon. I hope you're right.

I thought 'Orange Is the New Black' was decent, but it's one of those shows where there's a limit to how far you can go and I feel like it's already near that.

My wife loved the first couple of series but less so recently. I can't stand it. Period soap opera.

Started watching Eastbound and Down on recommendation of somebody in this thread.

Very funny show.

It has a similar vibe to My Name Is Earl except without all the whiny moralising. For example, the main character regularly snorts cocaine in front of the kids at school and doesn't give a feck.

No, I haven't. Is it any good?

Yeah it's funny. It's about three young American office bods who're also absolute stoners. It uses the same unrealistic, whacky characterisation as shows such as My Name Is Earl and Eastbound and Down as well as their bright and vibrant shooting style; like the latter (and unlike the former) though it doesn't bother to give moral lectures to the viewer and concentrates solely on the portraying increasingly bizarre storylines whilst pulling no punches in regards to depicting the hardcore aspects of the essentially cnutish but nevertheless likeable lead characters. They're only 22min episodes or something so you can easily blast a few off in an hour and a half. The boss lady is pretty fit.

The Life and Times of Tim

That's another great US comedy, animated this time. A similar set up as Workaholics described above except the main character Tim is pretty straight laced. He gets himself into bizarre social pickles as might Larry David in Curb Your Enthusiasm and also like Larry David he never comes out on top. Again, shown in 22min episodes it's a really easy show to watch in order to fill time; it's pretty low key in terms of scale and production but nevertheless never fails to make me laugh.

Is Oz any good? I am a big fan of Breaking Bad, The Wire, Game Of Thrones, Prison Break and Spartacus if that helps.

I'm seriously running low on TV shows at the moment and need something to get hooked to!

Also does Luther remain the same after the first 3 episodes? I have seen these three but I find it hard to get connected to...

Yep Oz is a must-watch. The narration by Harold Perrineau Jr. gives the whole show another dimension that elevates it above 'just' a prison show (even if it was only that, it'd be one of, if not the best) and makes it more a study of human nature as a whole. A rather grim one, at that. It does sometimes go a bit too far and there are probably about 2453 people that die throughout the 5 seasons which makes it the worse place to live ever, but there are some great moments, some brilliant, brilliant episodes and some really good characters that really develop as the series go on which is helped by some great acting.

Just finished House Of Cards and I really enjoyed it. Kevin Spacey is great in this and although i have little to no interest in politics I was hooked to every episode.
So iv finished Orange Is The New Black, Arrested Development and House Of Cards....give more Netflix shows! they are making some great TV at the moment.

Yeah it's funny. It's about three young American office bods who're also absolute stoners. It uses the same unrealistic, whacky characterisation as shows such as My Name Is Earl and Eastbound and Down as well as their bright and vibrant shooting style; like the latter (and unlike the former) though it doesn't bother to give moral lectures to the viewer and concentrates solely on the portraying increasingly bizarre storylines whilst pulling no punches in regards to depicting the hardcore aspects of the essentially cnutish but nevertheless likeable lead characters. They're only 22min episodes or something so you can easily blast a few off in an hour and a half. The boss lady is pretty fit.

Agreed.

I shall start watching OZ based on what Ciderman9000000 and Rooney In Paris have said :)

On another note... fans of the show Veronica Mars will be excited...

anybody watch Whitechapel? I have watched the first 2 seasons in the last couple of days and really been enjoying it. The second season was good but I was gripped watching the Jack the Ripper series. Think I might watched season 3 tonight.

Just finished House Of Cards and I really enjoyed it. Kevin Spacey is great in this and although i have little to no interest in politics I was hooked to every episode.
So iv finished Orange Is The New Black, Arrested Development and House Of Cards....give more Netflix shows! they are making some great TV at the moment.

You should watch the original House of Cards, I also thought that Spacey was good but Ian Richardson is something else in this role. The man was just sinister.

anybody watch Whitechapel? I have watched the first 2 seasons in the last couple of days and really been enjoying it. The second season was good but I was gripped watching the Jack the Ripper series. Think I might watched season 3 tonight.

Enjoyable enough. Nothing stunning but good filler.

Yep Oz is a must-watch. The narration by Harold Perrineau Jr. gives the whole show another dimension that elevates it above 'just' a prison show (even if it was only that, it'd be one of, if not the best) and makes it more a study of human nature as a whole. A rather grim one, at that. It does sometimes go a bit too far and there are probably about 2453 people that die throughout the 5 seasons which makes it the worse place to live ever, but there are some great moments, some brilliant, brilliant episodes and some really good characters that really develop as the series go on which is helped by some great acting.

I thought the entire thing was let down by that serum that made the prisoners age at 10x speed.

What the feck were they thinking?! For a couple of episodes it turned into a stupid scifi; completely out of sync with absolutely everything else in the show (with the possible exception of the guide dogs bollocks).

I thought the entire thing was let down by that serum that made the prisoners age at 10x speed.

What the feck were they thinking?! For a couple of episodes it turned into a stupid scifi; completely out of sync with absolutely everything else in the show (with the possible exception of the guide dogs bollocks).

Yeah, that was really stupid, they did lose their way towards the end. For me it was when they had the prisoners singing, and then you'd have like two minute intervals where instead of the crippled narrator, you had random prisoners breaking out into the worst songs ever made. They also massively fecked up with Adebesi.

Which between Falling Skies, Under The Dome and The Returned are worth watching? I'm watching Oz at the moment but need something to watch with the missus (she hates prison based stuff)

Just finished the four seasons of Arrested Development, can any of you recommend a good sitcom (20 minute comedy show, that's how long my commute is to work)? I've liked Arrested Development, Archer, Community, How I met your mother before it became shit, Parks & Rec...

Modern Family any good?

Modern Family is fun, but It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia is much better.

It's Always Sunny

or has you like others of the ilk, go back a few years......the Larry Sanders Show.

4th season of AD was poor.
Just finished the four seasons of Arrested Development, can any of you recommend a good sitcom (20 minute comedy show, that's how long my commute is to work)? I've liked Arrested Development, Archer, Community, How I met your mother before it became shit, Parks & Rec...

Modern Family any good?