Antony under investigation by Brazilian authorities for domestic abuse | Back in the squad

Hammondo

And the club should've stood firm on this one, given that Antony, unlike Greenwood, hasn't been charged with a crime or arrested. There are other players arrested for more serious crimes who aren't being sent on "mutually agreed leave" by their club. Media could report on international reports, just like they've done in the Antony case when his accuser made an interview in Brazil, but they haven't done so. So I stand by my original comment that the club is forced to sideline Antony by the media, and he will only be allowed back once media allows him back.

It inevitably leads to the question of whether the club can bring him back at any point before the police investigation has concluded? Imagine there's a lazy police officer back in Brazil who doesn't like the cut of Antony's jib (wouldn't blame him...) who takes three years investigating the case before deciding to not press charges. Are the club supposed to pay his wages for that duration without him kicking a ball for the club?
That's not how anything works, do you think a police officer can just investigate whatever they want for as long as they want? You think police officers are the ones running things and making the decisions?

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Why do you say that? He’s missed ONE match
For me the main thing I found fishy was the presence of the PFA representative at the club's offices the night before the announcement on mutual leave was made. It signaled to me that the club intended to suspend him but couldn't officially call it that since he hadn't formally been charged or arrested.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
For me the main thing I found fishy was the presence of the PFA representative at the club's offices the night before the announcement on mutual leave was made. It signaled to me that the club intended to suspend him but couldn't officially call it that since he hadn't formally been charged or arrested.
Or they may have sought advice before reaching the decision to give him time off

golden_blunder

Staff
We’re always quick to say the club did something wrong, how about we look at the players taking personal responsibility for a change

Big Ben Foster

Supports
Or they may have sought advice before reaching the decision to give him time off
Possibly, we'll see. Would be nice to hear some updates especially given the developments that have occurred since the announcement. Feels like it's been ages but really it's only been two weeks.

Big Ben Foster

Supports
We’re always quick to say the club did something wrong, how about we look at the players taking personal responsibility for a change
I don't disagree at all, but given that this is currently a "he said, she said" situation, we can't even conclusively say either party did anything wrong.

arnie_ni

From a footballing point of view he's a massive miss. He's the only player than can keep thr ball to allow us to get out of trouble.

His defensive work is missed as well.

Dannn411

From a footballing point of view he's a massive miss. He's the only player than can keep thr ball to allow us to get out of trouble.

His defensive work is missed as well.
No he isn't. Be serious please.

Anustart89

That's not how anything works, do you think a police officer can just investigate whatever they want for as long as they want? You think police officers are the ones running things and making the decisions?
Oh I’m sorry I don’t know how the legal system in Brazil works. Way to miss the point though.

DevilsOwn

:lol: Come on, hyperbole. He’s missed one match and has been given time off.
Not a hyperbole...

He has been dropped of the Brazil squad, missed those games, and who knows when he gets back in.

On the ground, there is no end in sight so who knows when he actually gets back.

Off the ground, he has been tainted. It's like once you win an Oscar, you are always intriduced as 'Acadamy award winner'.
Now even if some time in the future his name does get clearly, there will always be an Asterix..

Dannn411

Not sure what you've been watching the last few games then.

His end product leaves at lot to be desired but the rest of his game is instrumental in our play imo.
As a winger, production or at least chance creation is like 80%-85% of the job so if 80%-85% of his job leaves a lot to be desired, then he's not a big miss. In addition to that, he's a buildup and counter attack killer which is a disaster for the transition game Ten Hag is supposedly trying to implement as he cannot beat a man, even in a foot race, to save his life. Being slightly better than Pellistri is hardly a ringing endorsement of your abilities as an £80m winger. You might be able to excuse his 78% passing accruacy if he carried a major threat going forward but he simply does not. He has almost identical passing accuracy to Rashford yet does not carry even 1/10th of the same threat.

With that being said, I hope he has not done the things that he has been accused of for the sake of his career but let's not rewrite history before the ink has even dried.

golden_blunder

Staff
Not a hyperbole...

He has been dropped of the Brazil squad, missed those games, and who knows when he gets back in.

On the ground, there is no end in sight so who knows when he actually gets back.

Off the ground, he has been tainted. It's like once you win an Oscar, you are always intriduced as 'Acadamy award winner'.
Now even if some time in the future his name does get clearly, there will always be an Asterix..
I called hyperbole on the fact that you said that his “career had stalled” after he’s missed one United match

golden_blunder

Staff
His end product leaves a lot to be desired but you cannot question his work rate or the fact that the side looks better balanced when he is in it

sleepehead

His end product leaves a lot to be desired but you cannot question his work rate or the fact that the side looks better balanced when he is in it
Sure but that's because we haven't prepared for the RW properly for years. Ideally we'd have a quality backup already in the squad but poor squad building got us into this situation. Also it's more than his end product that is a problem. He's a solid RW but he's not lighting up any top leagues with his weaknesses

golden_blunder

Staff
Sure but that's because we haven't prepared for the RW properly for years. Ideally we'd have a quality backup already in the squad but poor squad building got us into this situation. Also it's more than his end product that is a problem. He's a solid RW but he's not lighting up any top leagues with his weaknesses
Don’t get me wrong, not my favorite player. I’m a traditional, line hugging winger type of fan

USREDEVIL

He practically plays like two players on the field: right wing (sort of) and box to box mid. Helps us in midfield bigly. I'm hoping now that we have Hojlund in here that Antony starts crossing to him regularly.

Hopefully now we've seen how much we struggle down the right without him people will get off his back.

Cathy Ferguson

Hopefully now we've seen how much we struggle down the right without him people will get off his back.
Our we could get Neto in January and people will realize what a proper right winger can offer. Of course we miss Antony if the alternative is Pellistri.

Revaulx

Don’t get me wrong, not my favorite player. I’m a traditional, line hugging winger type of fan
Who was the last “pure attacking” winger United had? Gordon Hill?

Most of them (Coppell, Beckham, Nani) haven’t been shy of grafting to win the ball back.

NotThatSoph

lemons are annoying
Had been stopped by the National team already.
But yeah, couldn't be termed hyperbole then.
Seems much less so now though.
Mason Mount and Kobbie Mainoo have been away longer than Antony. Have their careers stalled?

RuudTom83

I'm not overly fussed if he doesn't play, if the club want to go down the 'lets not play him until the investigation is concluded' route.

But I do think he should be at Carrington training, working on his right foot, keeping sharp etc.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
We play better with Antony and we are more fun to watch. He is one of the more skillful players and I like watching attractive football.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
The issue here is for every game he misses, his eventual return to fitness after being reinstated (if it does happen) gets extended by another game knowing how our manager likes to take his time to reintroduce players back after a period away from competitive football.

Currently, I don't see him being back before 2024.

Revaulx

Probably blomquist, sharpe, Gillespie, young giggs
Good shouts! Giggs changed his ways though, and if he hadn’t he wouldn’t have enjoyed such a glorious career.

Point is, wingers have always done unglamorous stuff. Antony’s end product has been sorely lacking, but he is far from the first winger we’ve ever had to be appreciated by his manager for being a grafter. The notion that it’s a new-fangled hipster thing is ridiculous.

flameinthesun

No he isn't. Be serious please.
You think a player who scored against Arsenal, City, Barca, who the entire fanbase can agree is one of the few players in the squad capable of keeping the ball when pressed, carrying it up the field whilst also providing work ethic and doing his responsibilities, that in a time where we practically have 0 right wingers, where the forward line especially on the left seems to constantly lose the ball....that he isn't missed? Interesting

Dans

Who was the last “pure attacking” winger United had? Gordon Hill?

Most of them (Coppell, Beckham, Nani) haven’t been shy of grafting to win the ball back.
Giggs? Kanchelskis?