Antonio Valencia | 2013/14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have to applaud you guys, some of the replies in here are hilarious. Dunno who remarked about his tucked in shirt but yeah he doesn't inspire confidence and shouldn't be playing at United or any other top team. He and Wigan cashed out with that transfer.

I'm genuinely confused that a player so limited has made it to the upper echelon of football, must be lads in the Championship thinking they could do a better job.

Get rid of him in January, give him away for free if that's what it takes. Should be the first player out of the club even ahead of Anderson.

Januzaj despite having really low percentage most in great crosses most of the time. In some cases you can use stats to back it up but with the case of Januzaj, it's just us not having the players in the right positions or just barely missing them because he always goes to actually pick out a man and puts it right in between the defenders and keeper, unfortunately we don't have RVP fit and getting on the end of them.

I think that Januzaj gets a lot of slack on here at the moment. I am not arguing with that as we all love him and he is hugely talented. He is very raw at the moment though. In the first half against Spurs he was absolutely terrible, he tries too much and gets dispossessed far too often. Of course it is because he is young and inexperienced, his decision making will come with time.

Amazingly he brings stuff to the table that none of our other players do. His two assists this season were absolutely sensational, world class passes. It is actually a bit sad that we have no other players with that level of vision and the ability to execute such passes. I actually thought that yesterday was the right time to give him a run in the no 10 position as I think that he will bring that penetration through the middle that we sorely lack. Perhaps Moyes is not interested in that type of attacking play!

I'm pretty much done with him now, and shining glimmer of hope that I had that he might find his way to becoming the good footballer he used to be is all but gone.

I don't think I've ever seen a more baffling and more extreme transition from very good to very bad in a Manchester United player... it's not even like you can blame it on age or anything.

I still wouldn't sell him, there's no point. I do think he should be benched for a run of games though and he should earn his starts through good sub performances.

I still wouldn't sell him, there's no point. I do think he should be benched for a run of games though and he should earn his starts through good sub performances.

Worked well(ish) for Ashley Young... but I just have no faith in the bloke to actually turn it around... nor do I see Moyes not keeping him as a fixture in his starting XI.

I'm pretty much done with him now, and shining glimmer of hope that I had that he might find his way to becoming the good footballer he used to be is all but gone.

I don't think I've ever seen a more baffling and more extreme transition from very good to very bad in a Manchester United player... it's not even like you can blame it on age or anything.

I think he's pretty much done. He is so one footed that it isn't difficult for oppositions to close him down, tackle him or understand his game...

Worked well(ish) for Ashley Young... but I just have no faith in the bloke to actually turn it around... nor do I see Moyes not keeping him as a fixture in his starting XI.

I don't think Valencia is someone who would thrive from competition, managers seem to prefer to play him through bad spells (Makes me think he isn't the hardest of characters) for example, dropping a 'Rooney' or someone of that ilk would inspire them to prove who they are the next time on the pitch, they seem to come out fighting... that's not our Tony I don't think..

I'd say so. Moyes hasn't built his team at all yet, he's just let this one carry on doing what it was doing for the past few years. Our play has went through Valencia for ages now.
Quality management, that is. When it's not working, don't fix it.

Crossing:

*Stats taken from Whoscored.

Young: 42 attempted crosses, 9 successful - 21.4%
Valencia: 84 attempted crosses, 16 successful - 19.0%
Januzaj: 32 attempted crosses, 4 successful - 12.5%

Walcott: 67 attempted crosses, 21 successful - 31.3%
Willian: 30 attempted crosses, 8 successful - 26.7%
Navas: 91 attempted crosses, 24 successful - 26.4%
Hazard: 39 attempted crosses, 9 successful - 23.1%

I just picked some other random wingers to compare, it's late and I cba to list loads! But our wingers really are terrible at crossing. Valencia at 19% is shocking. :lol:
It's not simply about being terrible at crossing. Other teams tend to cross after opening up opportunities to cross. We just cross. Like, all the bloody time, without any regard for context.

I can't think of a worse winger at Utd than the Valencia of these last 18 months, not in the years I remember anyway.

Obviously we've had a few shit ones but none who have played anything near the amount of football he's still getting.

The wings are in as much need of refreshing as the central midfield area. We have plenty of stock but most of it has gone off.

Break the bank. We require something fresh and new.

Nani, Young and Valencia were once very good-decent wingers in this league. All three have failed to develop and go on to the levels to perform at a big club. Not one of them has the full package or any real star quality.

I absolutely hate Di Maria, but he's the kind of quality we need to be looking at as a very minimum. He's playing at the level (arguably higher) Nani was in 2011.

I can't think of a worse winger at Utd than the Valencia of these last 18 months, not in the years I remember anyway.

Obviously we've had a few shit ones but none who have played anything near the amount of football he's still getting.

I inadvertidly let out a (small) cheer when his name was called out to be subbed yesterday... I don't think I've ever cheered a United players substitution in such a manner... and I actually felt like a bit of a cnut for it afterwards.

So what I'm saying is Antonio Valencia made me feel bad about myself... which is all his fault.

At least the others have the excuse of not playing week in week out. Valencia plays like lampard and terry used to for Jose Chelsea's, like messi and Ronaldo do for barca and real (slight exaggeration). It's unreal that a player can play that badly for 18 months and still be a key man at such a big club. It's a bit laughable if we're being honest.

I inadvertidly let out a (small) cheer when his name was called out to be subbed yesterday... I don't think I've ever cheered a United players substitution in such a manner... and I actually felt like a bit of a cnut for it afterwards.

So what I'm saying is Antonio Valencia made me feel bad about myself... which is all his fault.
I'd have probably brought two massive splash guns and attached a shit tonne of confetti and fireworks to myself and erupted every fecking one of them if he was subbed off while I was there, just a big fecking explosion of colour and happiness in the stands at him going off.

Quality management, that is. When it's not working, don't fix it.

It is weird that Sir Alex did the same thing as well though. Give him half a season to work through it, sure, but the whole season as first choice despite managing just 1 goal in almost 3000 minutes of football just makes no sense. I do agree that Moyes sticking with Valencia is one of my biggest gripes of the season, but let's not pretend any of this is new. For most of last season he got as many touches as anyone on the pitch for us.

It is weird that Sir Alex did the same thing as well though. Give him half a season to work through it, sure, but the whole season as first choice despite managing just 1 goal in almost 3000 minutes of football just makes no sense. I do agree that Moyes sticking with Valencia is one of my biggest gripes of the season, but let's not pretend any of this is new. For most of last season he got as many touches as anyone on the pitch for us.

It did happen last season and was annoying then too, I wonder though how much of it was Fergie not really needing to do anything as RVP was good enough to get us through despite Valencia's poor performance and so could give him more time to get in form. Plus Nani was out for a lot of last season through injuries and potentially maybe sidelined somewhat due to the contract issue.

This season though with RVP not being there and not having that big goal threat it's been a much bigger issue. Fergie at least experimented with the diamond when he had too even if it wasn't great. Would be nice to see Moyes properly address how little Valencia is doing.

To be fair though Moyes did bench Valencia for Nani, who then decided to play dogshit and booed off, allowing Valencia back in and then Nani got injured again.

Whilst that is true, I think fergie just let a lot of things be that I think we're wrong because we were still winning. Now it's properly broke, with the football as well as results stinking (as opposed to only the football not being great under fergie of late), so there's no actual reason to stick with it.

He was shite last season, but when RvP and Rooney were in form him and Young down the wings acted as good support for the two strikers.

Particularly I think games like City and Chelsea away (3-2 wins) he was basically doing what he is now. I think difference is we had RvP in form where everything he touched turned into gold. We just needed Valencia and Young to be support the team, be quick on the counter, keep shape and track back (follow basic instructions from coaching staff presumably which they did well).

The problem is this season we are relying on him more to create chances (due to absence of RvP and Carrick) and it's soul destroying.

He just passed the ball with his left foot.

07.01.2014 vs Sunderland away, 58 mins 50 seconds in.

Speechless.

AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! He's so fecking wasteful!

I like to defend him when possible but he was absolutely dreadful tonight.

i thought he was alright today... specially in the end. Don't know why Moyes sub him. He was being a threat, plus giving a feck about the game at least! the rest of our players where zombies, specially midfield.

Battled hard, put 1 decent cross in... Sad thats all it takes to be an improvement on his normal performances. He was okay.

Shouldn't be a first choice winger at United. Where's Bebe when you need him?

He wasnt even that bad today tbh. Not good by any means but better than in the past so no complaints.

A dire footballer. Worse than Ashley Young, somehow.

I honestly think Young offers more and I think he's dog shit to start with. Valencia is an athlete not a footballer. Probably would be an excellent 200m runner for Ecuador.

He wasnt even that bad today tbh. Not good by any means but better than in the past so no complaints.

This has to be a wind up. You're on the wind up, right?

I don't think he or perhaps 90% of the players at the club have any confidence right now. Dressing room seems completely lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.