Antonio Valencia | 2013/14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sick of the fecking sight of him.

So how many crosses and how many successful (if any) today?

I'd disagree, when Young plays out on the left he tends to see a lot of the ball too. With Nani and Kagawa they just drift inside too much.

TBH i've just given up on him. He cant cross, he cant take a player on and this season his defending has also been suspect - an attribute you could at least say hadn't diminished.

Well no he doesnt. Young averages one of our least amount of passes per game

I found it unusual how many times other players got out wide to put the cross in over Valencia. I wonder if that was a tactic they worked out because he seemed to tuck in when we were attacking instead of wide right like usual.

He is utterly abysmal. We say it every fecking game yet he keeps getting picked. When I think of the right wingers this club has had and then we see this guy out there be so inept it's fecking embarrassing. We are a top club, why do we have these type of players here? Would he get in Bayern, Dortmund, Barca, Real, Chelsea, City, Arsenal, PSG, Juve etc or any other top side? Of course he fecking wouldn't, nowhere near it in fact.

I would pay money to never have to watch him play for United again. That shot in the first half with the outside of the right foot, when he could have just smashed it in with his left was an absolute disgrace. Sadly, this isn't the first time he's given up a great scoring chance if it means using his left foot. Joke of a player.

I found it unusual how many times other players got out wide to put the cross in over Valencia. I wonder if that was a tactic they worked out because he seemed to tuck in when we were attacking instead of wide right like usual.

I was thinking this throughout the match, he seemed to play some weird central, floaty inside forward role. He actually showed some nice touches at times but was obviously blunt as feck going forward. He'll start Tuesday no doubt though. feck knows why.

He simply refuses to use his left foot, I'm not sure he even has one, he is like a dolphin in a permanent one sided sleep pattern.

He's deteriorated into a woefully ordinary football over the last 1.5 years and isn't good enough to play for Manchester United.

At least he didn't last the 90 today. Although I fear that may just be Moyes resting him for the games to come.

I actually thought he looked a lot better than usual today. He was not stuck out side on the touch line as usual, he was coming inside quite narrow and mixing it up, allowing the fullback to have alot more room. If that was Rafael bombing up the flank we may have created more.

Quite a few times he actually got in behind the defence better than usual also, and I hope he holds this inside role more - hope it wasn't just a tactic for Swansea.

Tbh prefer him like this than as he has been. At least when he was on it gave us something extra inside without actually loosing anything out wide. Needs to take crossing lessons from Buttner, he might have put some poor balls in but there were some peaches there and he basically did what Valencia should have been doing with the space and actually put in a dangerous ball that someone could get on to.

One trick pony to be honest. Was good whilst opponents believed he might actually have another trick up his sleeve, but that was 3 years ago and he's long since been rumbled. I can't believe he still cannot even make a short pass with his left foot.

One trick pony to be honest. Was good whilst opponents believed he might actually have another trick up his sleeve, but that was 3 years ago and he's long since been rumbled. I can't believe he still cannot even make a short pass with his left foot.

It's not just that. He still gets past players, but then he looks up, takes a couple of short steps to aim his cross and the defender makes a sliding tackle that tends to bounce off Valencia. If Valencia just puts his head up before he runs and crosses when he is past the defender, it would be a different story. He beats his defender time and time again, but no end product.

He still gets past players, but then he looks up, takes a couple of short steps to aim his cross and the defender makes a sliding tackle that tends to bounce off Valencia.

Or pulls up and plays the ball 20 yards backwards.

It's not just that. He still gets past players, but then he looks up, takes a couple of short steps to aim his cross and the defender makes a sliding tackle that tends to bounce off Valencia. If Valencia just puts his head up before he runs and crosses when he is past the defender, it would be a different story. He beats his defender time and time again, but no end product.

Spot on.

Am I wrong to say that more than anything, Moyes has essentially built his team around Valencia?

Am I wrong to say that more than anything, Moyes has essentially built his team around Valencia?

We all predicted Moyes would love him because he's a hard worker. But too much of our play comes through his side for my liking.

He's fecking shit to be fair to him.

The annoying thing is he has been given 2 seasons to find some kind of form and he's produced feck all..I mean over that period he must have attempted 30000 crosses with 20 successful.

Even more annoying is that we all know what Nani can produce when given a run, imagine where we could be at if he had been getting the same treatment?! He's so much better than Val. When Nanners is fit again, Val should never start a game on the right again

I actually think this season has been even more disappointing from him than last season, more for the fact that Moyes seems to love going down the right more than any other route.

I'd say so. Moyes hasn't built his team at all yet, he's just let this one carry on doing what it was doing for the past few years. Our play has went through Valencia for ages now.

I'm sick of the fecking sight of him.

Me too. Nothing about him inspires confidence; from the vacant expression on his face to the tightly tucked in shirt, it just sucks the energy out of the team.

Actually, that's all a bit harsh. He seems like a great guy, but he's nowhere near the standard we expect of United.

He's fecking shit to be fair to him.

The annoying thing is he has been given 2 seasons to find some kind of form and he's produced feck all..I mean over that period he must have attempted 30000 crosses with 20 successful.

Even more annoying is that we all know what Nani can produce when given a run, imagine where we could be at if he had been getting the same treatment?! He's so much better than Val. When Nanners is fit again, Val should never start a game on the right again

I agree with every word of this. I'll take mercurial Nani any day over pedestrian Valencia.

It wasnt so bad when he could actually cross the ball fairly well 2 years ago. He was never brilliant at it, but good enough. He just doesn't work as a concept if he can't get the ball to the strikers in a good position

I'd say so. Moyes hasn't built his team at all yet, he's just let this one carry on doing what it was doing for the past few years. Our play has went through Valencia for ages now.

Not to this extent.

We're entirely reliant on him now to the point of embarassment.

This passing the ball off to Valencia on the right is nothing new and has been going on forever now even under Fergie. Put a fork in him, he's done. Needs to be sold.

The problem is he seems the only option. So teams have learned to prepare for that. Before the passes came from all over the midfield. We have tried to replicate Scholes with Rooney...but at a cost. Today we had Fletcher making some brilliant passes but no Rooney or RVP to take advantage.

Crossing:

*Stats taken from Whoscored.

Young: 42 attempted crosses, 9 successful - 21.4%
Valencia: 84 attempted crosses, 16 successful - 19.0%
Januzaj: 32 attempted crosses, 4 successful - 12.5%

Walcott: 67 attempted crosses, 21 successful - 31.3%
Willian: 30 attempted crosses, 8 successful - 26.7%
Navas: 91 attempted crosses, 24 successful - 26.4%
Hazard: 39 attempted crosses, 9 successful - 23.1%

I just picked some other random wingers to compare, it's late and I cba to list loads! But our wingers really are terrible at crossing. Valencia at 19% is shocking. :lol:

Crossing:

*Stats taken from Whoscored.

Young: 42 attempted crosses, 9 successful - 21.4%
Valencia: 84 attempted crosses, 16 successful - 19.0%
Januzaj: 32 attempted crosses, 4 successful - 12.5%

Walcott: 67 attempted crosses, 21 successful - 31.3%
Willian: 30 attempted crosses, 8 successful - 26.7%
Navas: 91 attempted crosses, 24 successful - 26.4%
Hazard: 39 attempted crosses, 9 successful - 23.1%

Our wingers really are terrible at crossing. Valencia at 19% is shocking. :lol:

Januzaj despite having really low percentage most in great crosses most of the time. In some cases you can use stats to back it up but with the case of Januzaj, it's just us not having the players in the right positions or just barely missing them because he always goes to actually pick out a man and puts it right in between the defenders and keeper, unfortunately we don't have RVP fit and getting on the end of them.

Januzaj despite having really low percentage most in great crosses most of the time. In some cases you can use stats to back it up but with the case of Januzaj, it's just us not having the players in the right positions or just barely missing them because he always goes to actually pick out a man and puts it right in between the defenders and keeper, unfortunately we don't have RVP fit and getting on the end of them.

Well you can forgive Januzaj considering he's a young lad. But Young/Valencia should be setting the example, they're meant to be our steady eddys. Just highlights our real problem, our main tactic it seems is to throw crosses in, yet none of our wingers can cross. So either its the fault of our strikers not being in the right positions, or our wingers are just goddamn awful at crossing. In Valencias case... we all know the answer to that!

Status
Not open for further replies.