View full 2023-24 profile

4.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
No he won't as long as Ten Hag is here yes he will need to improve his production but I don't think he is failing in what Ten Hag wants from him first and foremost .
He will if he doesn’t improve

lex talionis

Now that he’s in a contract year, it will be interesting to see whether Tony’s injury problems magically disappear and, as a bonus, he puts in a genuine effort to perform on the pitch.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
What's the latest on him? He didn't play a single minute on tour did he? Are we really starting the campaign with Sancho as false 9?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Think he will play the remaining games. I’ve given up on him but we need him fit.

Trex

I understand people frustration but is it a bit harsh Martial gets criticism because of his injuries. Is there anything he is doing/ not doing to constantly be injured?
I think last season when he played he was our best option upfront. I understand he have to get someone more reliable and of even better quality (hopefully Hojlund) and long term he may not even have a place in the squad but the criticism regarding being injured are harsh as I think its not down to his own making.

Last edited:

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I understand people frustration but is it a bit harsh Martial gets criticism because if his injuries. Is there anything he is doing/ not doing to constantly be injured?
I think last season when he played he was our best option upfront. I understand he have to get someone more reliable and of even better quality (hopefully Hojlund) and long term he may not even have a place in the squad but the criticism regarding being injured are harsh as I think its not down to his own making.
That is totally unfair. People are frustrated and that (understandeable), but quality wise he isn't far off from top EPL strikers currently (that also tells you a story of current CFs situation).
Other part of the story is he moves slow and doesn't seem to have that urgency to get at the end of things, but to be honest he just looks physically shot.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Other part of the story is he moves slow and doesn't seem to have that urgency to get at the end of things, but to be honest he just looks physically shot.
I think it's a mixture of him being whittled down by his injuries and losing a yard of pace, but also him not being able to get the ring rust off and get fully match fit because any time he has come back into the team he gets injured again after a few games and the momentum is lost.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I think it's a mixture of him being whittled down by his injuries and losing a yard of pace, but also him not being able to get the ring rust off and get fully match fit because any time he has come back into the team he gets injured again after a few games and the momentum is lost.
Definitely. I sympathise with him to be honest. Attribute-wise he's missing nothing. After Greenwood he was one of the most natural footballers in our squad. I really rated him as a striker in modern/fluid front 3. Shame it went that way for him - and for us.

Captmfla

Martial is so talented. He deserves another chance and a chance to play alongside Hojlund.

Castia

Imagine his attitude when he’s actually fit for 5 games this season and he’s sat on the bench

SAF is the GOAT

Martial is so talented. He deserves another chance and a chance to play alongside Hojlund.
I don't think he has "it" anymore

In the rare occasions that he does play - the only good thing I'm seeing from him is the ability to hold up the ball

He lost the dribble, he can't turn quick enough, that lightning pace, his first quick step, his ball control has gotten worse and he can't beat a cone even if his life depends on it.

Those injuries destroyed him and we need to just admit it and let go of the lad and just accept that he won't be better and that's coming from a guy that was his biggest admirer.

He's been in full training for a week or so, so he should be available for the friendlies next week and for the start of the season.
I'm not counting on him even when he's fit to play.
If he'll add some value to our game or even score - great, but till then I don't have any expectations from him

Last edited:

stoinz

I remember reading that his current injuries issues were because he played injured often during Ole's term. I remembered him playing really well for a period under Ole before injuries plagued him.

It is pretty sad if this is true and he doesn't deserve all the abuse he is getting.

glasgow 21

I remember reading that his current injuries issues were because he played injured often during Ole's term. I remembered him playing really well for a period under Ole before injuries plagued him.

It is pretty sad if this is true and he doesn't deserve all the abuse he is getting.
Oh here we go, get the violin out. What next Maguire lost of confidence due to be made to play against players that are too good for him ?. If i never saw Marial in a United shirt again it would be a day too soon. He aint getting abuse he just getting what a player gets when he has went missing on and off the pitch for majority of his career, He isn't the first or last to play with injuries. He just doesn't have the mental steel to do the next step.

tidraKS

I don't think he has "it" anymore

In the rare occasions that he does play - the only good thing I'm seeing from him is the ability to hold up the ball

He lost the dribble, he can't turn quick enough, that lightning pace, his first quick step, his ball control has gotten worse and he can't beat a cone even if his life depends on it.

Those injuries destroyed him and we need to just admit it and let go of the lad and just accept that he won't be better and that's coming from a guy that was his biggest admirer.
Totally agree. He's lost a lot of his game. His close control is gone, his pace is gone, his dribbling abilities are gone. Maybe if he went a period without getting injured, he could get these back, but I highly doubt it.

stoinz

Oh here we go, get the violin out. What next Maguire lost of confidence due to be made to play against players that are too good for him ?. If i never saw Marial in a United shirt again it would be a day too soon. He aint getting abuse he just getting what a player gets when he has went missing on and off the pitch for majority of his career, He isn't the first or last to play with injuries. He just doesn't have the mental steel to do the next step.
Totally different with Maguire mate. Maguire believed in his own hyped and has zero self awareness of his own shortcomings.

My point with regards to Martial is that it is not a mental steel issue but a physical issue, losing that yard of pace, that quick turn because he played through injury. Yes many play through injuries but not as much as what happened with us when Ole was at the helm. Ole basically ran the entire first team to the ground.

I'll be happy if we can move on Martial too and if he can have a career else. But it is not his fault that he is injured this much.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel

Its been close to 8 years since he's been at the club and every manager has at one time or another questioned his work ethic, desire and ability to channel his immense talent. The common denominator is him.

stoinz

Its been close to 8 years since he's been at the club and every manager has at one time or another questioned his work ethic, desire and ability to channel his immense talent. The common denominator is him.
Well, that is true too. Didn't realized it has been 8 years. Was really excited when we signed him but unfortunately never really kick on.

Banana Republic

I would expect ETH to be ruthless, going forward.
He’s had a season to assess and utilise what player resources he inherited, alongside those he brought in last summer.
With his second season and the addition of a few other new players, start to see the axe fall on those who he no longer wants to keep around.
Martial may be talented and have shone in the past, but if his poor injury record continues and when he’s fit, he still lacks the hunger and desire that ETH wants from his players, then he’ll be on his way out.
We can’t afford to just hoard players who are unavailable most of the time., no matter whether it’s because of bad luck, or whatever.
It doesn’t matter what talent they have, or what they’ve done in the past.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Didn't realise he's still the record fee paid for a teenager in Prem history... Well will be until Liverpool sort Lavia out

lex talionis

8 years.

On some level, this is even worse than the Phil Jones saga. When Phil was able to lace his boots he gave it his all; when Tony laces on his boots, he doesn't give a shit.

Stadjer

Totally agree. He's lost a lot of his game. His close control is gone, his pace is gone, his dribbling abilities are gone. Maybe if he went a period without getting injured, he could get these back, but I highly doubt it.
He looked slow last season. A bit like how Pogba also looked slow when he was fit to play. It would make sense after all the injuries both suffered.

Martial still has a few moments where he did show his quality but overall he seemed to have lost 'it'.

I was hoping that the matches near the end of last season, combined with the summerbreak and followed by a good pre season would somehow bring 'it' back to Martial but he got injured again.

Im afraid he is just broken player like Phil Jones, Pogba or Jack Wilshere in the past. Very unfortunate for players with all the talent but not the body. Im expecting this to be his last season. Not worth his wages compared to how often he can play.

crossy1686

career ending
8 years.

On some level, this is even worse than the Phil Jones saga. When Phil was able to lace his boots he gave it his all; when Tony laces on his boots, he doesn't give a shit.
Yep, that's the worst thing about it really. You know Jones would have died on the pitch and spend the rest of the season injured if he needed to. Martial won't run for a ball that isn't played to his feet.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Some called Martial comparing to the top EPL strikers.. I would say that none is less useful than he is.

All strikers in the PL offer you something, he doesnt.

Raven

If you wouldn't mind referencing this please?

Stadjer

Did you just make this up yourself?

Van Gaal called him his ''gift'' to Giggs as a future star player.
Mourinho likely questioned him because that is what Mourinho does to young players.
Ole played him while injured and Martial had his best season as the starter CF during Ole. I dont think Ole ever said anything negative about Martial. Martial did say some negative things about Ole though.
ETH has spoken about the fitness but also said Martial works hardest out of all players to get fit again. He also said that Martial has been important and played well when Martial was actually fit and able to play.

RuudTom83

Martial must be close to having his 30 min kickabout between injuries soon.

Probably best to get it over with in the next 2 preseason games so we don’t waste a sub against Wolves.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I see Rasmus coming in as a plus for Martial. He will do the heavy lifting and Martial can slowly regain fitness form and confidence. The thing is that he’s never going to be worth what we are paying him. We wouldn’t have had to buy Rasmus if he was. He’s a goner at the end of his deal.

Zoo

Looked physically wrecked last season, a shell of what he was. Anything we get from him this season will be a bonus before we move him out next year.

Djemba-Djemba

He had a few good cameos at the start of last season.

That was it though, by the time he was playing again for the final few weeks of the season he was moving like he was 40. So slow and immobile, he looked scared of breaking into a sprint or being tackled because he knew it would likely lead to an injury. Which of course happened against Fulham so he missed the cup final.

We would be absolutely insane to give him a new contract or activate the extra year option. This has to be his final season here.

Abraxas

He's the reason Hojlund is not just going to be "bedding in" or playing some sort of low pressure role just because he's young. It's not going to happen as Martial doesn't have the realiability to stay fit or the fortitude to play with intensity even when he is on the pitch. To my eyes a labouring Martial is not going to be holding back a young, fit, hungry talent, no way. The likelihood is that we hope Martial shows some level of fitness just to play some minutes so Hojlund isn't overused. I still do rate his hold up play and ability to find teammates. I just don't rate his work ethic, drive to make runs or get into the box, it's all very passive and to feet.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
If you wouldn't mind referencing this please?
Did you just make this up yourself?

Van Gaal called him his ''gift'' to Giggs as a future star player.
Mourinho likely questioned him because that is what Mourinho does to young players.
Ole played him while injured and Martial had his best season as the starter CF during Ole. I dont think Ole ever said anything negative about Martial. Martial did say some negative things about Ole though.
ETH has spoken about the fitness but also said Martial works hardest out of all players to get fit again. He also said that Martial has been important and played well when Martial was actually fit and able to play.
Ranieri

Ranieri, who worked with the Frenchman at AS Monaco, said back in 2015: "Anthony is a great young player with a big future but he has to change his mentality. If he changes his state of mind, he could have an incredible career, he could be one of the greatest.

"He can become a champion and a first-team player for any club he wants. But his mentality is 'one day I play well, and maybe the next day too'. He has the qualities but in football, that isn't enough. You have to be very good every day in training, every time you play, every night while you're asleep."
Mourinho

"Obviously we want more consistency in his talent," Mourinho said. "I think today was positive for him, that's why I left him for 90 minutes on the pitch.
Mourinho

He told a news conference on Friday: "I think when you have some talents you cannot waste, I think when you are blessed with that talent, you have to exploit and not be happy with glimpses of talent and that I'm not going to change.
Solskjær

“I think he showed against Leeds, and he knows that I am onto him about this, that his running stats have set a new standard for him, which I want to see more from.
Lopetegui after one game

"Anthony has to give us much more. It was his first game and adaptation is not easy, he has played little this year and he has to get into dynamics and gain minutes and confidence."
Lopetegui after the fans booed him off:

“This is elite football and people are free and can express themselves as they feel. As a coach, I have to help him to achieve his best version. He is also a professional and has to do his part and adapt to what we ask of him.”
Rangnick claiming he refused to play

Rangnick said: “Anthony Martial didn't want to be in the squad, he would have been in the squad normally but he didn't want to and that was the reason why he didn't travel with us.”
Deschamps

"He needs to be more consistent, despite his qualities. He can make the difference in a game because he's a fast and powerful player who can score and assist. At this age, even if he has already proved a lot, he has to go through that stage. He has to maintain a certain level of performance for some weeks, some months.”
"It's his state of mind. He's like that so he needs to battle a little with himself. He needs to get stronger in order to maintain his level on a long run."

Pronewbie

Peep
Still remember how exciting him and Rashy looked during pre-season last year. We were an absolute joy to watch. I think that's all in the past though he looks broken physically and mentally.