View full 2019-20 profile

6.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, his performances are becoming something to behold. He's now protecting the ball well also, which is probably the only criticism you could level at him as a no 9. Long may this continue!
He's a proper number 9. I think this is what Ole wanted from him earlier when he made those comments about Ighalo "offering something different" and it lit a fire under Martial who has adapted to the coaches requirements super fast. Scary

His best ever season was as a teen under LVG playing as a striker. The toxic one comes in and miss manages him. We put him back as a striker and he is besting his previous record. Seems rather clear who was in the wrong here.

He's a proper number 9. I think this is what Ole wanted from him earlier when he made those comments about Ighalo "offering something different" and it lit a fire under Martial who has adapted to the coaches requirements super fast. Scary
He's clearly someone who does need a bit of a candle under his arse to do something, but when he does the talent is so evident he could easily be an elite European level striker very soon - if he's not already, just as we've not been at the top level of european football this season.

Listen you can persist with your petty attempts at provoking my reaction with those sly little jabs, I don't mind that at all. Though I'd prefer if you could try to actually convey and defend you stance.

It's actually bizarre you're trying to equate my reaction to your questioning of Matic' positioning game (one of the better aspects of his game imo) with me discarding the false narrative of Martial having a bad attitude and being lazy just because he's got a permanent sulking face facial expression.

You know you're allowed to praise the player without having to exaggerate and downplay his past performances to make his current performances look even better?
I don't need to. You're doing that yourself. You try to cover your inability to actually provide a persuasive argument by using your bag of buzzwords. It makes you sound pretty juvenile. And now you're bitching about my 'jabs' after you decided to make this a personal examination of my character, instead of simply offering an alternative to my opinion.

Your reaction to my question equates to 'Matic is a seasoned professional, therefore he cannot be wrong.' How are you struggling with me pointing out the enormous hole in that logic? You've reverted to type and made it a discussion about 'acolytes' and the integrity of individuals instead of trying to defend your stance. Poor form.

And you know you're allowed to be critical of individual aspects of a players game and admire the improvement they've made in those areas (which have been highlighted universally) without blaming it on Sauron, sorry, I mean Jose.

Martial has always been supremely talented. There were justifiable concerns about certain aspects of his game that existed before Jose, before we even signed him. Now we are seeing the complete package, and what a player he is.

God can you imagine watching him do this for another team if Mourinho had had his way

Was a really dark time when you had a good amount of people defending and agreeing with the rumors of wanting to swap him for fecking Perisic :wenger:

I'm beyond glad that Woodward showed a little forethought and nipped that in the bud quickly

Arguably I’d say it was more of a LWB under Jose. He was always good at getting back and helping out and he’s never shirked from a tackle. People just don’t take notice that he did work hard but in a defensive manner.

There is an interview with Zabaletta who is mentioning how poor Jose’s tactics are and why he doesn’t let players like Martial and Rashford go free. He says Martial tracked him all night and kept saying to Zabaletta aren’t you tired yet. He went on to mention if Martial didn’t have to sit so deep Zabaletta couldn’t have come forward as much.

Now he can translate that work ethic in to the final 3rd where he wants to be. I’ll agree with their is more intensity and purpose to some of his runs but I think that just comes from being the focal point. He had always made runs before just weren’t picked out and now he is being so people maybe notice these things more.

Don't know why but I missed that interview completely. Very telling interview and reflects so badly of Jose

I don't need to. You're doing that yourself. You try to cover your inability to actually provide a persuasive argument by using your bag of buzzwords. It makes you sound pretty juvenile. And now you're bitching about my 'jabs' after you decided to make this a personal examination of my character, instead of simply offering an alternative to my opinion.

Your reaction to my question equates to 'Matic is a seasoned professional, therefore he cannot be wrong.' How are you struggling with me pointing out the enormous hole in that logic? You've reverted to type and made it a discussion about 'acolytes' and the integrity of individuals instead of trying to defend your stance. Poor form.

And you know you're allowed to be critical of individual aspects of a players game and admire the improvement they've made in those areas (which have been highlighted universally) without blaming it on Sauron, sorry, I mean Jose.

Martial has always been supremely talented. There were justifiable concerns about certain aspects of his game that existed before Jose, before we even signed him. Now we are seeing the complete package, and what a player he is.
But I've actually provided you with an explanation for my stance, now that it doesn't fit your narrative, and that you're choosing not to acknowledge it, that's not my problem.

I understand that you're playing clueless and deflecting for the risk of making yourself look dumb but still....How are you failing to understand that you're questioning Matic' positioning whilst I'm questioning acolytes on their "lazy" and "attitude" false criticism? It's peas and carrots ffs.

But I've actually provided you with an explanation for my stance, now that it doesn't fit your narrative, and that you're choosing not to acknowledge it, that's not my problem.

I understand that you're playing clueless and deflecting for the risk of making yourself look dumb but still....How are you failing to understand that you're questioning Matic' positioning whilst I'm questioning acolytes on their "lazy" and "attitude" false criticism? It's peas and carrots ffs.
No you haven't. 'It's all Jose's fault' isn't an acceptable stance, that is instantly dismissed by the criticisms internally and externally to this aspect of his game both before and after Jose's time at the club.

Because, Buzzword Billy, those criticisms exist outside of that imaginary group and have been expressed by many people, including me, here. Those 'acolytes' are expressing Jose's opinion, no? Or are you trying to tell me those views are separate to the man they are defending who expressly questioned Martial's workrate, as has multiple ex professionals who have watched and worked with him. You know you can't defend this blatant doublethink. Hasn't stopped you giving it a go though. You're just questioning those people that mimic Jose's opinion, but it's got nothing to do with Jose's opinion!

Now. As much as I know you like to prattle on about Jose, let's leave this thread free to commentate on Martial remarkable performances over the last 6 months, hey?

His best ever season was as a teen under LVG playing as a striker. The toxic one comes in and miss manages him. We put him back as a striker and he is besting his previous record. Seems rather clear who was in the wrong here.

He played mostly LW then too, because Depay was shit. Martial is a natural goalscorer, he'll get goals anywhere along the front line.

His only problem is that he can be a bit passive and sticking him outwide means it's naturally more difficult to get him involved in the game. You stick him slap bang in the middle of the pitch, he's constantly involved in the game and then you get more out of other parts of his game (his impeccable touch and control)

No you haven't. 'It's all Jose's fault' isn't an acceptable stance, that is instantly dismissed by the criticisms internally and externally to this aspect of his game both before and after Jose's time at the club.

Because, Buzzword Billy, those criticisms exist outside of that imaginary group and have been expressed by many people, including me, here. Those 'acolytes' are expressing Jose's opinion, no? Or are you trying to tell me those views are separate to the man they are defending who expressly questioned Martial's workrate, as has multiple ex professionals who have watched and worked with him. You know you can't defend this blatant doublethink. Hasn't stopped you giving it a go though. You're just questioning those people that mimic Jose's opinion, but it's got nothing to do with Jose's opinion!

Sure it's not all Mourinho's fault, no one eluded to that. Why would you even word it like that? But one thing is certain, Mourinho sure wasn't interested in making things easier for him. For example as i said, more often than not he got dropped after a good performance, got dropped for Sanchez even though when Martial was going through a great patch of form. Whilst on the other hand Sanchez and Lukaku were untouchable even though, objectively speaking they were playing bad during that time.

Nope they're were not expressing Mourinho's opinion, unless of course they've got the uncanny ability to read one's mind. They felt the need to justify Mourinho's double standards somehow and they found an easy target in attitude and being lazy. Majority of their "attitude" criticism was derived from his natural facial expression ffs! Lazy was attached for his lack of run ins in behind even though he was doing that but good luck in getting that ball to you from a MF that had Lingard, MCT and Fellaini that can only pass it sideways.

Sure it's not all Mourinho's fault, no one eluded to that. Why would you even word it like that? But one thing is certain, Mourinho sure wasn't interested in making things easier for him. For example as i said, more often than not he got dropped after a good performance, got dropped for Sanchez even though when Martial was going through a great patch of form. Whilst on the other hand Sanchez and Lukaku were untouchable even though, objectively speaking they were playing bad during that time.

Nope they're were not expressing Mourinho's opinion, unless of course they've got the uncanny ability to read one's mind. They felt the need to justify Mourinho's double standards somehow and they found an easy target in attitude and being lazy. Majority of their "attitude" criticism was derived from his natural facial expression ffs! Lazy was attached for his lack of run ins in behind even though he was doing that but good luck in getting that ball to you from a MF that had Lingard, MCT and Fellaini that can only pass it sideways.
You don't need to read someone's mind when that person overtly expresses their opinion of a player. If I say, 'I don't like cheese,' then you're fairly safe to beleive I don't like cheese.

Jose could absolutely have managed Martial better, but there is also an onus for the player to play to the best of their abilities whether they like the direction from their manager or not. Clearly he wasn't doing that, otherwise he wouldn't be dropped. There is plenty wrong with Jose, but if he drops a player its for a reason, whether you agree with it or not.

Except there is plenty of data to support this, and there are plenty of professionals who had indentifed it too. He was getting outworked by Lukaku FFS. At times the only outfield players running less were the CBs (well, one CB), and this was when he was playing on the wing. We all know Jose wants his wingers to track back. If he isn't doing that, and Jose is critical of him doing that, then we can say he's either being lazy or he's got an issue with his attitude. Pick one.

Thankfully, he is doing what the manager wants now. He's working harder than ever before, he seems game for physical battles and hes putting in performances week in, week out that any CF should be proud of.

I doubt there's a defender in Europe that wouldn't shit the bed coming up against him. So strong, so fast, such technique. He seems to be relishing the physical side of the game now as well.

The lad has come such a long way from those dark 'Le Sulk' days where his character would be assassinated and he'd be demonized by fans for his facial expressions and having the audacity and temerity to leave a meaningless preseason tour to attend to the birth of his son...

Really happy for him,in a much better place right now and the squad has been reaping the rewards as a result

Really impressed with how fired up he seems nowadays, like a totally different personality.

You can tell from his media comments and on-pitch demeanour he's loving life under Ole, long may it continue.

Playing at a really top level right now and looks so dangerous.

He just has everything really doesn't he? pace, strength, great control, dribbling and finishing. He's added work rate and his hold up play has always been good.

All I want to see from him now is a bit more selfishnness. There was a moment in the 2nd half where he had the ball in the box and he tried to pass it sideways back to Bruno who already had 2/3 players around him. Id like to see him take his man on or just shift it and smack it.

Lovely goal and you can see he's so happy once he scores. Shame the injury to Van Aanholt sort of ruined the moment.

I have not cheered a goal for its class like the one he scored yesterday for a while. His part in it and the finish was sublime. The movement, strength, agility, and composure to slot it so emphatically as as good as it gets.

Him and Rashford are scoring some ridiculous goals lately that are getting anyone off their seats.

I'd give him our player of the year tbh.
I was thinking about this today. Up until recently Fred for me was a shoe in but then Martial has played himself in to contention. I don’t know if it’s wrong or right but maybe even Bruno

We've seen the development hes made from a left winger to a striker throughout this season. Yes its true he was still a threat and scoring some goals early on in the season, but he was still doing the same as last season picking the ball up from the left for some passing moves and trying to get a shot away from around the edge of the box.

Since the lockdown you can see his hunger to drive into the box, get on the end of balls in the box and score goals. He only looks happy when hes scored and that kind of determination to do the things you want from your striker will see him score more goals. He looks much more like a proper striker now.

Playing at a really top level right now and looks so dangerous.

He just has everything really doesn't he? pace, strength, great control, dribbling and finishing. He's added work rate and his hold up play has always been good.

All I want to see from him now is a bit more selfishnness. There was a moment in the 2nd half where he had the ball in the box and he tried to pass it sideways back to Bruno who already had 2/3 players around him. Id like to see him take his man on or just shift it and smack it.

Lovely goal and you can see he's so happy once he scores. Shame the injury to Van Aanholt sort of ruined the moment.
Yh that chance was very annoying. Someone like aguero would have gone for goal. He needs to switch of that playmaking gene sometimes and just try to shoot. He comes across to neat sometimes. I’m hoping by next season he starts looking to take the ball on his outside and shoot with his left in those positions.

When he misses I get disappointed. Only because he is so good. I expect him to hit the target every time he shoots. His sudden acceleration and his close control is what terrifies defenders inside the box.
Now his tackling and holding the ball is improving a lot as he gains more experience and is becoming a much better player.
Because he is not English the pundits would not give him as much praise he deserves.

Because it's his main job to operate in the box now, with him being#9, it comes with the job ffs. Before he was usually deployed from the wing hence why he didn't spend as much time in the box. Of course the movement will be there, but then again whenever he played as a CF he was always getting into good positions.
Then why has Ole said they specifically worked on it? He was often stationary when played as a 9. He has improved, is more consistent and plays with much more energy. The basics were always there. Phenomenal player!

Much better. His finishing has always been top notch but his strength and skill to build up play is light years better. Now he offers a threat all over the pitch including his dribbling, there is a touch of the Hazard about him with the ball at his feet. The boy has clearly been working hard and the improvement is there to see. Looks a frightening player.
Agree 100% with this. Complete package at the moment. Long may it continue.

What I am liking more about the lad, is his hunger, fight and workrate. His talent was never in question, but sometimes people questioned his attitude/motivation. Turning into a beast is our Tony and his link up play and understanding with Rashford is very exciting.

He is coming deep now because he knows that either Rashford or Bruno or even Greenwood is going to fill the space up in front when he drops deep.
Furthermore the options we have upfront makes it difficult for defenders marking them.

He is coming deep now because he knows that either Rashford or Bruno or even Greenwood is going to fill the space up in front when he drops deep.
Furthermore the options we have upfront makes it difficult for defenders marking them.
He was always coming deep. Difference is now we have players linking with him and also filling the space. Plus those picking his runs

I really wanted him to be sold, felt he let too many games pass him by.

He looks like a completely different player since the lock down. Playing like a proper number 9, holding up the ball, barely losing it and playing with a real intensity which he definitely lacked before. Really happy for him, as there’s always been a player in there somewhere

randomly scrolling through twitter and found this exchange between Liverpool fans:

:lol: hilarious to me because I often see them making fun of our midfield, but now that Martial is bagging it’s “he has Pogba & Bruno. Firmino doesn’t get any service

I have been his biggest critic. I never doubted his skill, but I doubted his football brain. I would never call him lazy because you just have to look at his stats to see that he isn't. But I questioned his lack for seeing the game and just wanting the ball to feet way to much. He didn't make enough runs off the ball. Not only has he completely changed that and is making several smart runs each and every game, but his hold up play and all around performances have been absolutely fantastic. I still think we need another striker, but it has nothing to do with Martial. In fact, I will go out on a limb here and say that based on performances in the second half of the season, I will say he is the best #9 in the league right now...

randomly scrolling through twitter and found this exchange between Liverpool fans:

:lol: hilarious to me because I often see them making fun of our midfield, but now that Martial is bagging it’s “he has Pogba & Bruno. Firmino doesn’t get any service

Especially since many of Martials goals have been a lot of his own work, not like he’s getting 3 tap ins a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.