View full 2017-18 profile

6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
He was ineffetive but that was the fault of Herrera and Mhki who consistantky failed to provide him (and Lukaku) any kind of penetrative passes to run onto.

Someone finally nails it.

Our problem was the midfield. Our inability to hold on to the ball, dictate play, press, find the attacking players and make dangerous penetrative runs. Fo me, it came down primarily to Herrera and Miki. They were both poor.

Gomez had him in his pocket, Martial was no where near good enough. We can blame those around him all we want but he simply didn’t play well.

As for Mourinho only starting him because he knew he wouldn’t play well and it would prove he’s not up to it, load of rubbish!!!

More excuses for Martial. Its never his fault, its the left back for not helping him or the manager for not letting him attack. Forget about the fact that Martial was one of our most advanced players when he was playing.

Martial was pretty good in the first half, but you still have posters in here talking about unleashing Martial. Newsflash he isn't Lionel Messi; he's just a promising young attacker. His level dropped in the second half and Liverpool looked like scoring so Mourinho made changes.

Overall a good showing from him.

The same point has been made for Lukaku. We said the same for Rashford against Southampton. So it isnt a case of finding excuses for an individual player.

Someone finally nails it.

Our problem was the midfield. Our inability to hold on to the ball, dictate play, press, find the attacking players and make dangerous penetrative runs. Fo me, it came down primarily to Herrera and Miki. They were both poor.
That was the entire reason our whole performance was so dour and lacking aggression. Mourinho admitted as much after the game when he complained of midfield injuries.

Had Herrera and Mhki performed as expected, we’d have created loads of chances

I actually think this performance will have done a lot more good than harm to Martial going forward in the future. Mourinho now knows if he needs him to stick to a defensive task throughout his full time on the pitch.

The only player who resembled his level somewhat yesterday, still created the best chance and looked threatening. I so wanted Mourinho to keep him on and bring Rashford in place of Miki.

I actually think this performance will have done a lot more good than harm to Martial going forward in the future. Mourinho now knows if he needs him to stick to a defensive task throughout his full time on the pitch.
No he fist time Mourinho has asked him to perform such a role. City last season springs to mind.

What worries me a little is that he seems to struggle when facing fast fullbacks and players who stick close to him.

Do we have too many players who are only good when we have acres of space? Martial, Miki, Rashford all thrive on space. We don't have those small nimble players who glide past opposing players. That being said, we have a lot of other qualities like sheer speed, strength and counter attacking.

http://www.tribalfootball.com/artic...ail-lays-out-martial-development-plan-4203574

Manchester United boss Jose Mourinho is happy with the progress of Anthony Martial this season.

Martial was handed a start by Mourinho for yesterday's 0-0 draw at Liverpool.

The manager told SFR Sport: "I try to make the right choices without worrying about public opinion. I try to improve the player more and more so that he enters a new phase.

"We move from a form of emotional distance to an ever closer proximity, to an increasing knowledge, to an understanding of my requirements as a coach, to a knowledge of his own characteristics. Whether he is a holder or a substitute, he must become a major player in every game this season. And we will certainly arrive at the final stage where he will be close to a 'finished product', which is impossible at his age.

"He has a great potential that must absolutely be transformed into a complete player."

But...but Mourinho wants him gone.
Didn't catch the word finished? And product? Ready packed to ship to Madrid.

Edit: I meant PSG. Maureen is planning to strengthen his next club.

That was the entire reason our whole performance was so dour and lacking aggression. Mourinho admitted as much after the game when he complained of midfield injuries.

Had Herrera and Mhki performed as expected, we’d have created loads of chances
Partially agree. What I disagree is Herrera's being poor. He just had too much on his hand defensively. Fighting against L'pool midfield 3 with other L'pool attackers have the tendency to drift central. It's not a man mark tactic. Zonal defense when being this overload is not easy.

That leaves Mikhi was main culprit for the whole plan to fail. He couldn't help the midfield battle. Neither being and outlet to relieve pressure. As no 10, if he is to have decent game then it relieve the pressure better. Young and Martial would more likely being double teamed. Mkhi didn't combine with anyone, which the role of no 10 is all about.

Last edited:
These quotes doesn't fill the narrative of the thread so the majority will ignore it and next time he sits on the bench we'll be back for the routine meltdown.

You missed my point completely mate. I thought he was our best player in the first half! But you still have posters making excuses for him to try to elevate him (if the manager did it 'correctly' Martial would have been way better). Martial being helped by the full back goes both ways. Darmian is shambolic 1 on 1, but in the second half he was getting no help from Martial. Martial was subbed of because Liverpool were too strong on his side. When Rashford plays no-one makes excuses for him like they do for Martial; he just had a bad game cos he's young. But with Martial we have to go through every other factor. Its not as if we have a really good left back to play with Rashford; whoever plays on our left side will not have much help from the left back.

You saw when Martial was subbed off that the manager was happy with his contribution; on another day Lukaku would have buried that chance and Martial would have had an assist to add on to a good performance. Martial is improving as a player; he has variation in his play that is on the same or higher level as his first season.

What I am seeing is a better understanding between Martial and the manager; which is a good thing. Just like how Mkhitaryan is a starter after he spent last season a fringe player.

I think those posters have a point (although yes it is some times over the top) and it doesn't just extend to Martial. Mourinho has done a very good job so far but he has to take some blame for the set up and coaching of our team when we play against the other big hitters. We can make excuses about injuries etc but it comes down to mentality too; he's happy to concede possession and in turn the initiative, which puts us on the backfoot. You can't argue against the results but there are more things to fine tune if we want to be more dominant and part of that is getting the team performing better in these situations.

I think those posters have a point (although yes it is some times over the top) and it doesn't just extend to Martial. Mourinho has done a very good job so far but he has to take some blame for the set up and coaching of our team when we play against the other big hitters. We can make excuses about injuries etc but it comes down to mentality too; he's happy to concede possession and in turn the initiative, which puts us on the backfoot. You can't argue against the results but there are more things to fine tune if we want to be more dominant and part of that is getting the team performing better in these situations.

What was he supposed to do against Liverpool? If we press they have a spare man in midfield.

Against big hitters, either you have better quality to dominate them in the same game or you would still choose to pick their weaknesses.

Madrid for all their quality at the end of the day accepted that in certain game they would be the counter attacking team. They have quality to push out and press further from their goal. Quality is the key.

The mini Martial camp here want to build the whole tactic around Martial. Which means either we would have to spend much more like PSG or City (why won't we replace Martial when we're at it if we going this way?) or we have a lukeswarm style like LVG's or blatant flawed style like Wenger or Klopp. Mourinho' style maybe not everyone's cup of tea, but master it would give a high chance of success as a team even with some lesser quality players. Over the years, with additional quality, the foundation ofMourinho team would allow room for improvement in term of offensive.

Would you rather choose to have just trying build up individuals and being dependent on individuals instead of having a competitive team for years with room to build on?

Last edited:
What was he supposed to do against Liverpool? If we press they have a spare man in midfield.

Coach a setup where our players aren't afraid to pass it around under pressure. Probably by finding a better balance between playing players for their strengths and not for their tendency to make less mistakes i.e Blind for Darmian, keeping Martial on, playing Mata ahead of/with Miki, Ashley 'does a job' Young playing as defensive winger etc.

He's happy to concede to possession, play the percentages and that filters through to the squad. Look at the Southampton game; we should not be going there and expecting to be clearing our lines everytime it comes near our goal.

On the one hand, he's done a fantastic (and perhaps underrated) job to make our team so resilent and battle ready but his tendencies are a bit too safe and risk-adverse, especially now that he had built the solid foundations imo.

Against big hitters, either you have better quality to dominate them in the same game or you would still choose to pick their weaknesses.

Madrid for all their quality at the end of the day accepted that in certain game they would be the counter attacking team. They have quality to push out and press further from their goal. Quality is the key.

The mini Martial camp here want to build the whole tactic around Martial.
Which means either we would have to spend much more like PSG or City (why won't we replace Martial when we're at it if we going this way?) or we have a lukeswarm style like LVG's or blatant flawed style like Wenger or Klopp. Mourinho' style maybe not everyone's cup of tea, but master it would give a high chance of success as a team even with some lesser quality players. Over the years, with additional quality, the foundation of Mourinho team would allow room for improvement in term of offensive.

Would you rather choose to have just trying build up individuals and being dependent on individuals instead of having a competitive team for years with room to build on?

I'm not of the Martial camp but the criticisms towards Mourinho still hold. It's harsh (given he's done so much and there's still so much room for potential) but it's valid. At this stage he should be able to concentrate more on our own system and style of play. Right now the balance is probably a bit loop sided when it comes to respecting opponents and nullifying them.

It's a two way thing, we should be able to impose ourselves to make them respect our play. I don't mind a counter attacking style or dogged approach but I'd prefer a bit more organisation. The middle ground of defensive solidarity and attacking freedom is too wide. Mourinho has done great on the former and given too much leeway on the latter (against teams who don't respect us and will be in our faces i.e most technically assured teams) so we end up being hard to beat but too hit and miss in front of goal.

For example we don't have regular/recognised patterns of play (midfield triangles, full back width, players in the hole dropping, interchanging forwards etc) that would help us build up momentum; it's spur of the moment and that's enough to see off 80% of this league but the rest and in Europe?

As for the second bolded bit, this is pretty much it. With his methods, I'm sure we are going to see it. It's just I think we as fans are being greedy and hope for more.

Didn't catch the word finished? And product? Ready packed to ship to Madrid.

Edit: I meant PSG. Maureen is planning to strengthen his next club.

Partially agree. What I disagree is Herrera's being poor. He just had too much on his hand defensively. Fighting against L'pool midfield 3 with other L'pool attackers have the tendency to drift central. It's not a man mark tactic. Zonal defense when being this overload is not easy.

That leaves Mikhi was main culprit for the whole plan to fail. He couldn't help the midfield battle. Neither being and outlet to relieve pressure. As no 10, if he is to have decent game then it relieve the pressure better. Young and Martial would more likely being double teamed. Mkhi didn't combine with anyone, which the role of no 10 is all about.
I disagree. Mkhi was disconnected from Matic and Herrera. If you watch the game again most counter attacks were done via Flanks i.e. Young and Martial. Both played very bad in my opinion. Martial had several opportunities and he kept rushing on defenders, trying to dribble and kept losing the ball instead of trying to come up something in the final third, like building up the attack. Young has lost all abilities to attack. He played as the 6th defender. Pretty much doing Valencia's job. I didnt like Joses plan for the game. Very poor, very defensive that didnt work out because we completely gave the ball away in the middle. Both Herrera and Matic were playing too close to the box leaving Mkhi out there by himself. Watch and you will see a counter were its Mkhi and Lukaku, thats ridiculous. Mkhi passes to Lukaku who is super slow and would either lose the ball or give it back, practically, stopping the counter. Neither Herrera no Matic would run in the counter. Young wasnt much help either countering. That defensive game is just so annoying. He did the same thing last year, remember.

Coach a setup where our players aren't afraid to pass it around under pressure. Probably by finding a better balance between playing players for their strengths and not for their tendency to make less mistakes i.e Blind for Darmian, keeping Martial on, playing Mata ahead of/with Miki, Ashley 'does a job' Young playing as defensive winger etc.

He's happy to concede to possession, play the percentages and that filters through to the squad. Look at the Southampton game; we should not be going there and expecting to be clearing our lines everytime it comes near our goal.

On the one hand, he's done a fantastic (and perhaps underrated) job to make our team so resilent and battle ready but his tendencies are a bit too safe and risk-adverse, especially now that he had built the solid foundations imo.

I'm not of the Martial camp but the criticisms towards Mourinho still hold. It's harsh (given he's done so much and there's still so much room for potential) but it's valid. At this stage he should be able to concentrate more on our own system and style of play. Right now the balance is probably a bit loop sided when it comes to respecting opponents and nullifying them.

It's a two way thing, we should be able to impose ourselves to make them respect our play. I don't mind a counter attacking style or dogged approach but I'd prefer a bit more organisation. The middle ground of defensive solidarity and attacking freedom is too wide. Mourinho has done great on the former and given too much leeway on the latter (against teams who don't respect us and will be in our faces i.e most technically assured teams) so we end up being hard to beat but too hit and miss in front of goal.

For example we don't have regular/recognised patterns of play (midfield triangles, full back width, players in the hole dropping, interchanging forwards etc) that would help us build up momentum; it's spur of the moment and that's enough to see off 80% of this league but the rest and in Europe?

As for the second bolded bit, this is pretty much it. With his methods, I'm sure we are going to see it. It's just I think we as fans are being greedy and hope for more.
I didn't say you are.

I don't say it is not valid either given Martial relegated from main men role to support role in Mourinho system.

I disagree we're at the stage where we can playing a style regardless of opponent, especially game like vs L'pool. Still some of the positions in our starting line up are upgradable, let alone their back ups.

Our defensive game has been improving, but we're yet to get to the level of prime Rio Vida Evra or Mourinho's first stint Chelsea. It strikes fear into opposition despite being defensive. Improve this further then opposition would have to give us more respect knowing us scoring a goal would be game over for them. Solid defense would give more freedom for attackers. For positions we have the resource, the players yet to fulfill their potential. There is a hole in other positions we need to fix. We're still compensate for the defense as of now.

Our attacking line, The veteran guys unfortunate not guaranteed starter and upgradable. Some are players brought in by Mourinho so they also have to adapt to the league, team. Then young guys understandably are inconsistent and we can only afford as much risk with the starting line up, given how there are still a lot of problem in the starting line up. Someone like Lukaku still needs to improve his overall game and he is holding the main men status. Rashford Martial understandably would have to sacrifice to help the common cause.

I think and believe that Mourinho is shortening the rebuild by going the result route instead of style, given we're losing few years to mismanagement after SAF. He's trying to get the players the winner mentality and rewinding time. By this I meant we're gonna be hit & miss in big game to get result to challenge, compete for trophies, even if it means reliving Zombie football at latter stage of SAF years. Then over time adding quality and transform to more expansive side in mold of our 2006-2009 team. We're not going from 2003-2006 transition way given the stake and competition is differently harder now. Since may not being able to groom all the young talent ourselves we need to make sure we stay attractive to incoming p,Ayer by success. Under Mourinho we will have to accept that we need result at all cost given unlike SAF, he would be given as much patience and support even within the club. Result and trophy is a must. You know how Chelsea got Hazard by flunking that CL playing even more awful defensive football.

Last edited:
I disagree. Mkhi was disconnected from Matic and Herrera. If you watch the game again most counter attacks were done via Flanks i.e. Young and Martial. Both played very bad in my opinion. Martial had several opportunities and he kept rushing on defenders, trying to dribble and kept losing the ball instead of trying to come up something in the final third, like building up the attack. Young has lost all abilities to attack. He played as the 6th defender. Pretty much doing Valencia's job. I didnt like Joses plan for the game. Very poor, very defensive that didnt work out because we completely gave the ball away in the middle. Both Herrera and Matic were playing too close to the box leaving Mkhi out there by himself. Watch and you will see a counter were its Mkhi and Lukaku, thats ridiculous. Mkhi passes to Lukaku who is super slow and would either lose the ball or give it back, practically, stopping the counter. Neither Herrera no Matic would run in the counter. Young wasnt much help either countering. That defensive game is just so annoying. He did the same thing last year, remember.
I said Mkhi himself is to be blamed. As already explained Matic and Herrera had too much to do in their hand defensively. They outnumbered in midfield battle and L'pool attackers drift inside gave them even more work. The flanks were double team. Mkhi had more breathing space as even when being marked he found himself 1 vs 1 more, but he just killed that outlet himself thus the pressure couldn't' be relieved. Mkhi didn't need to work as much in midfield battle. He is no 10 which he was less involved in tracking runner into our box, but having his defensive duty as keeping midfield shape and stay in position ready for counter. Wide attackers understandably would be more distant from the no 9. Mkhi was supposed to bridge this gap, but since he failed the job, Lukaku ended up by himself most of the time. Lukaku is not super slow. He doesn't have great acceleration but when running he is deceptively quick. We as the team didn't get him the service. This Mkhi is the biggest culprit given explained vital role in this type of game.

Last season, we pressed them out of the park in the first half. We couldn't maintain the pressing in second half yet we were comfortable seeing the game out with chance to win it. We're the team who take control at game in OT too.

I said Mkhi himself is to be blamed. As already explained Matic and Herrera had too much to do in their hand defensively. They outnumbered in midfield battle and L'pool attackers drift inside gave them even more work. The flanks were double team. Mkhi had more breathing space as even when being marked he found himself 1 vs 1 more, but he just killed that outlet himself thus the pressure couldn't' be relieved. Mkhi didn't need to work as much in midfield battle. He is no 10 which he was less involved in tracking runner into our box, but having his defensive duty as keeping midfield shape and stay in position ready for counter. Wide attackers understandably would be more distant from the no 9. Mkhi was supposed to bridge this gap, but since he failed the job, Lukaku ended up by himself most of the time. Lukaku is not super slow. He doesn't have great acceleration but when running he is deceptively quick. We as the team didn't get him the service. This Mkhi is the biggest culprit given explained vital role in this type of game.

Last season, we pressed them out of the park in the first half. We couldn't maintain the pressing in second half yet we were comfortable seeing the game out with chance to win it. We're the team who take control at game in OT too.
I watched the game again with cold heart. There might have been more space in the middle because Pool was passing the middle with lightning speed. That is because we just gave the middle away. Notice, we were defending with 6 including Martial who was instructed to drop super deep, pretty much playing as a left wing defender, which was leaving very little space and time for the counter.
Young is slow and cannot counter as fast, however, he is better at defending,which is why Jose picked him. Mkhi and Lukaku were defending up top. Lets say, they somehow intercept the ball, then give it to Mkhi which is alone with Lukaku up top, Martial is still behind because he was instructed to drop deep. There isnt much Mkhi can do without support. He can try to pass to Lukaku or pass back which pretty much kills the game. Again, there was a huge gap on the counter between our lines.
The only way to kill this Pool is to press them by not giving them the ball. Jose is a pragmatic. He was afraid this might backfire due to the lack of Fellaini or Pogba. He thought we wont be able to control the center and will lose the ball to often, which is risky u know why. He decided to just give the ball away and play chicken. Thats all. This kind of games kill the football. That is why I've always hated Jose's teams. Look at Guardiola. He gave the players wings. All they do is score.
Do you think Sane or Jesus are better players? Or Sterling? They screw up a lot more than Martial, rashford or Lingard. Its the way their team plays. I bet you put Mkhi in a City, he would cause havoc.

I watched the game again with cold heart. There might have been more space in the middle because Pool was passing the middle with lightning speed. That is because we just gave the middle away. Notice, we were defending with 6 including Martial who was instructed to drop super deep, pretty much playing as a left wing defender, which was leaving very little space and time for the counter.
Young is slow and cannot counter as fast, however, he is better at defending,which is why Jose picked him. Mkhi and Lukaku were defending up top. Lets say, they somehow intercept the ball, then give it to Mkhi which is alone with Lukaku up top, Martial is still behind because he was instructed to drop deep. There isnt much Mkhi can do without support. He can try to pass to Lukaku or pass back which pretty much kills the game. Again, there was a huge gap on the counter between our lines.
The only way to kill this Pool is to press them by not giving them the ball. Jose is a pragmatic. He was afraid this might backfire due to the lack of Fellaini or Pogba. He thought we wont be able to control the center and will lose the ball to often, which is risky u know why. He decided to just give the ball away and play chicken. Thats all. This kind of games kill the football. That is why I've always hated Jose's teams. Look at Guardiola. He gave the players wings. All they do is score.
Do you think Sane or Jesus are better players? Or Sterling? They screw up a lot more than Martial, rashford or Lingard. Its the way their team plays. I bet you put Mkhi in a City, he would cause havoc.
Get over yourself these games and jose's style does not kill football. I like how you don't come out the woodwork when we consistently blow teams away with goals.

Put in a very good shift and created our only chance of the game. But this is not the way he should he used. He was in our half the whole game. A 352 with him and Lukaku upfront would have been much much better. The formation we used left Lukaku isolated and Martial ineffective.

Hope we bench Mikhi and play Rashford and Martial with Mata behind Lukaku against Huddersfield.

If there is one player who shouldn't have a lot of defensive duties in our team, it's him.

It really is simple, if Mourinho doesn't fancy/rate/like Martial, there's no way he'd start him in one of the biggest games of the season.

If Rashford had been fit/fresh(Mourinho said he wasn't) would Martial have started? I have my doubts.

Do you understand what you're saying? L'pool push up, leaving space behind. Why Martial track back would leave less room for counter? And how is Young slow?

Mkhi alone with Lukaku would be enough to move the ball up field and buying enough time us to move up. The problem is it got killed too quickly when it's in Mkhi possession. If Mkhi were not attacking well, he may get more involved and help the midfield battle. He didn't even do that. Lingard for little he got involved offensively when he came on, showed a higher intensity in pressing and helping our midfield out. Mkhi role is to support as he already has his defensive cut short with us gamble on 2 vs 3 midfield battle with L'pool. He has himself to blame. He was tasked with the key role as he is the closest to Lukaku and less marked, yet he failed miserably and put more burden on other players.

Beating L'pool by pressing is big nonsense. Klopp loves to hit team by exploiting the space in behind the defensive line. The higher the line, the more potent Klopp team gets. L'pool with 10 men got undone by City, but at 11 men, they were going toe to toe and created chances against City. Just like last season. We didn't have our best player and best condition going into this game to play to our best potential. Trying to go with a half baked pressing tactic to L'pool is suicidal. Look at Arsenal.

You love the word "kill", but do you realize what really kills football is teams with money pumping from foreign source and drain certain quality from other clubs? Adapting to quality in your hand and go out to play it is not evil.

Did they just win the league? Would Pep stop going with the same team when he comes up against big team in CL or he resorts to the infamous "more midfielders and less forwards" in away game? Trying to defend by keeping possession.

Get over yourself these games and jose's style does not kill football. I like how you don't come out the woodwork when we consistently blow teams away with goals.

I thought we would go with 5 at the back too. I think Fellaini and Bailly injuries break that plan. Lindelof can't yet be trusted. With Martial stay with Lukaku we need another midfielder to keep the central area in check. Mkhi even in good form is not that type of player. He more of end product player and not truly midfielder.

Our best outfield player imo. The only one who was brave enough and tried playing some football or create anything

LOL Liverpool don't play with 12 men, Mourinho has no problem asking his attackers to drop into defensive positions to defend with numbers but he can't ask Mkhi to drop into midfield to match their numbers? Why do you people lap up every excuse the manager comes out with instead of calling a spade a spade and agree that we parked the bus like cowards instead of actually setting up to counter attack, teams like Watford, Leicester, Sevilla counter attacked them and scored against their pathetic defence, we just sat back to steal a point.

The difference is that you're speculating and what I said is based on facts (plus all the interviews Mourinho has given about Martial).

Well you're basing it on one fact. That Martial started. You're also leaving out another fact. The guy who normally starts wasn't fit.

I am speculating though as I'm sure you have many times on these forums. It doesn't stop you giving an opinion though. Had Rashford been fit do you think Martial would have started?

I don't think it's a big deal but Martial starting doesn't really prove anything given the circumstances.

Last edited:
He was the wrong choice for the game really, he doesnt get in behind teams instead preferring to take them on which just meant they pressed him and he constantly ran into them.

Wierd to see praise as he did feck all.

Status
Not open for further replies.