Angry Barcelonians shoot foreigners...

:lol:

Are Barcelonians really this anti-tourist?

Amsterdam is trying to curb tourism but they don't seem anti-tourist unless you're going for sex, drugs and drink.

A friend just came back from Barcelona yesterday and got sprayed during one of these. Not pleasant obviously, but she said she could see the locals point of view as well.

She saw one banner that apparently read 'I spit in your beer with love' :lol:.

Amsterdam is trying to curb tourism but they don't seem anti-tourist unless you're going for sex, drugs and drink.

What else is there to do?

I have not been to Amsterdam by the way... I was thinking of going last year until I saw the hotel prices even in the off season.

A beach city near Savannah's city commission just voted to restrict AirBnbs to stays over 30 days only & it was enthusiastically signed by the mayor. Tybee Island is virtually entirely dependant on short term transient business, just a completely batshit move.

They should have just driven up & down the beach with fire hoses.

without tourism theyd be stuck with foren muck tapass for breakfast and wood never experience a full english

they wood be drinking some kind of shit cerveza instead of carling

as usual though the foren brain (jeanetics) means they cant see all the good things we have done for them an how much we have improved there lifes

Is it an Airbnb thing or they just want everyone to feck off?

Not sure if this is related to the drought but earlier this year they had their worst drought in years (decades?), public water use was shut off in places like public parks and limits were placed on private use, meanwhile tourists were using obscene amounts of water in hotels. Tourism has some benefits but the downsides of overtourism are not hard to find!

What else is there to do?

I have not been to Amsterdam by the way... I was thinking of going last year until I saw the hotel prices even in the off season.
Yeah Amsterdam hotel rates are bewildering. Though pretty much expected since the local government (understandably) banned certain neighbourhoods from hosting AirBnB properties, driving hotel prices up.

I'm going again next month as a bonafide well-behaved tourist. I've already been 5 times for the usual reasons :lol:, but its my missus' first time so we're actually doing the touristy bits like the galleries and museums.

It is fecking nuts how busy tourist destinations have become. I was in San Sebastian a week ago (yes, I'm part of the problem) and it was fecking mobbed. There's a weird paradox where everyone is getting made poorer and poorer due to the cost of living crisis but there seems to be more and more tourists on holiday every year.

It is fecking nuts how busy tourist destinations have become. I was in San Sebastian a week ago (yes, I'm part of the problem) and it was fecking mobbed. There's a weird paradox where everyone is getting made poorer and poorer due to the cost of living crisis but there seems to be more and more tourists on holiday every year.

I've seen loads of stuff about a real shift towards experiences over things, so maybe it's part of that.

Also helped by the fact that new things cost an absolute bomb these days. Mobile phones costing north of a grand is absolutely mental.

Read earlier that half of Europeans have increased their holiday expenditure. Think its mostly down to a combination of post-covid travel emancipation and (younger people in particular) coming to terms with the fact that saving for properties or having children is a financial pipedream so they choose to savour what they have left in their youth and embrace travel. For the rest of the world global travel is becoming a more feasible possibility that was once closed off to them.

They should introduce a system where locals can house tourists and make some money from it. Provide meals etc. Like a bed and breakfast.

I've seen loads of stuff about a real shift towards experiences over things, so maybe it's part of that.

Also helped by the fact that new things cost an absolute bomb these days. Mobile phones costing north of a grand is absolutely mental.
Read earlier that half of Europeans have increased their holiday expenditure. Think its mostly down to a combination of post-covid travel emancipation and (younger people in particular) coming to terms with the fact that saving for properties or having children is a financial pipedream so they choose to savour what they have left in their youth and embrace travel. For the rest of the world global travel is becoming a more feasible possibility that was once closed off to them.

Plus how else do you generate all that great content for the 'gram, right?!

They should introduce a system where locals can house tourists and make some money from it. Provide meals etc. Like a bed and breakfast.

yeah. a kind of “come and enjoy my wife for the evening for 100€,” type arrangement.

For idiots.

Spending €1,200 on a Iphone when I can get a Samsung for €200/300 that does all the same shit. I do not understand it.

Plus how else do you generate all that great content for the 'gram, right?!
Oh the number of people I know who are riddled with debt jetting off to Marbella/Ibiza and casually dropping a few grand on bottles just for the social media clout :wenger:

Barcelona is a most unwelcoming shitehole. My least favourite city in Europe to visit...and that's including Dublin!!

For idiots.

Spending €1,200 on a Iphone when I can get a Samsung for €200/300 that does all the same shit. I do not understand it.
Societal pressure. Its particularly bad in the US where there seems to be some social stigma associated with owning an Android phone - yes, even if it's a flagship Samsung that retails for almost £2000. The second they see the blue boxed message you're ridiculed :lol:

Barcelona is the least welcoming city I have ever visited so not a huge surprise.

without tourism theyd be stuck with foren muck tapass for breakfast and wood never experience a full english

they wood be drinking some kind of shit cerveza instead of carling

as usual though the foren brain (jeanetics) means they cant see all the good things we have done for them an how much we have improved there lifes
Estrella>Carling. I know you are talking tongue in cheek but this is taking it a bit too far.

I really liked Barcelona when I visited. Was a cool city. The people they should have a problem with are those that own the Airbnb properties and rent them out and those that allow the Airbnb properties to exist.

I've been to Barcelona multiple times and I've never had any problems. Haven't been there in 3 years though. Suppose this might be exacerbated by the drought and lack of water along with the Airbnb/housing issues.

I don't think this can happen in Lisbon though. Portuguese are too laid back and friendly.

Barcelona is a most unwelcoming shitehole. My least favourite city in Europe to visit...and that's including Dublin!!
Barcelona is the least welcoming city I have ever visited so not a huge surprise.

Possibly something to do with pissed up Brits getting into punch ups, chucking up all over the city and generally being horrible human beings when they come for their long weekends.

It's not so much they want to curb tourism but more that they want to bring in a different type of tourist which is more than understandable.

Good. Spread the word.
The least people come the better

Barcelona is a shithole because of the tourist model. Gentrification because of illegal airbnb non tourist flats. Need to be shifted from quantity from britain mostly over quality and that would not be with ryanair tourism that boards at 3 pm goes out puking around, trashing the city to board back at 6 am completly passed out

Societal pressure. Its particularly bad in the US where there seems to be some social stigma associated with owning an Android phone - yes, even if it's a flagship Samsung that retails for almost £2000. The second they see the blue boxed message you're ridiculed :lol:
I've never seen or heard of this happening.

For idiots.

You cannot. Flagship Samsung phones who are comparable to iPhone cost almost the same.

I think it is a combination of more people valuing experiences over things (I am one of them), and people from countries who are less developed but have significantly improved their economy being able to travel more.

Some places are getting unbearably touristic though and kinda making the experience not as pleasant. Kyoto was the most extreme for me so far.

I'm not. Would something like that make locals hate the tourists less or is it a ridiculous suggestion?

Because you describe airBnB without the breakfast. The problem with Airbnb (that everybody uses, me included) or B&B is that it would work if everybody would have access to purchase a condo in equal conditions but there will always outprice you. And it ends being a personal physical or corporate buying the condos and make a business model outpricing and kicking our locals from their all lifetime rent places. This pushes also the neighborhood commerces, because you need people that regularly buys bread, meat at the corner store. Etc. Basically gentrification

That is why I ask about sarcasm because the airBnB is the new B&B and is exactly the model that helped destroy the tourst model. There are many Airbnb that are not registered. City council plans to take out 10,000 from the market

In the end, tourists are not to blame, they are looking for the best deals. I do the same when I travel. Is the city looking for a quick buck without an effort and it went out of hand

Good. Spread the word.

Barcelona is a shithole because of the tourist model. Gentrification because of illegal airbnb non tourist flats. Need to be shifted from quantity from britain mostly over quality and that would not be with ryanair tourism that boards at 3 pm goes out puking around, trashing the city to board back at 6 am completly passed out
I went about 20 years ago so not sure it was influenced by AirBnB’s much.

Possibly something to do with pissed up Brits getting into punch ups, chucking up all over the city and generally being horrible human beings when they come for their long weekends.

It's not so much they want to curb tourism but more that they want to bring in a different type of tourist which is more than understandable.
Could be, but then judging somebody based on where they are from instead of what they are actually like is kind of what I meant by being the most unwelcoming city I have ever visited.

Last edited:
Good. Spread the word.

Isn't this a problem with the city though? It seems like there's a reluctance to address why people are coming or to put measures in place to curb excesses. I know Venice have put a tariff to enter the city, they aren't telling tourists to feck off. What's the end goal? It's not just foreign tourists going, there are Catalan and Spanish tourists who go too. People only stay at Air BnBs because the option is there, the city let the problem get out of control.

I just don't see what this hostile attitude to tourists will achieve apart from making people think the city is full of pricks.

Isn't this a problem with the city though? It seems like there's a reluctance to address why people are coming or to put measures in place to curb excesses. I know Venice have put a tariff to enter the city, they aren't telling tourists to feck off. What's the end goal? It's not just foreign tourists going, there are Catalan and Spanish tourists who go too. People only stay at Air BnBs because the option is there, the city let the problem get out of control.

I just don't see what this hostile attitude to tourists will achieve apart from making people think the city is full of pricks.

Restricting tourism visas for the UK could be a good first step in that regard. A targeted solution attempt, rather than indiscriminate hate.