Angel Gomes Watch

Very disappointing that we let him go. Very disappointing indeed.
We didn’t let him go. He chose to go. We offered him a new contract and tried to convince him to stay. But he chose to leave. It was the right decision for both parties. He needed games to develop and he wasn’t going to get much of that here. He’s wasn’t at the level needed to start in central midfield, and that remained the case for a good amount of time after he left. It took him a couple more seasons to really establish himself, he’s 24 now. And without that regular game time he never would’ve gotten to the level he’s at today.

That was only going to happen in an easier league at a smaller team. He didn’t have naturally physical gifts to rely on, so integrating him into the first team at United, in the heart of midfield was always going to be tough. So he took the correct route and I’m pleased for him that he did. He certainly looks like he’d be a useful player for us now, but with Mainoo and Ugarte, he’d likely be taking up a bench/rotational role. I’m not sure that’s what he needs or wants at this stage of his career. He’s going to have to kick on another level again if he wants to play for a big club as a starter.

There's a good lesson here. Some players simply need to go away for regular football and development, and if we let good players go because we dont think we can do that - we should have a good buy back option.

Because our team has very few players who are good in the air in both boxes / winning aerial duels in midfield.

It also has very few players who can control a game of football from midfield.

There's a good lesson here. Some players simply need to go away for regular football and development, and if we let good players go because we dont think we can do that - we should have a good buy back option.

His contract runs out in 2025.

We didn’t let him go. He chose to go. We offered him a new contract and tried to convince him to stay. But he chose to leave. It was the right decision for both parties. He needed games to develop and he wasn’t going to get much of that here. He’s wasn’t at the level needed to start in central midfield, and that remained the case for a good amount of time after he left. It took him a couple more seasons to really establish himself, he’s 24 now. And without that regular game time he never would’ve gotten to the level he’s at today.

That was only going to happen in an easier league at a smaller team. He didn’t have naturally physical gifts to rely on, so integrating him into the first team at United, in the heart of midfield was always going to be tough. So he took the correct route and I’m pleased for him that he did. He certainly looks like he’d be a useful player for us now, but with Mainoo and Ugarte, he’d likely be taking up a bench/rotational role. I’m not sure that’s what he needs or wants at this stage of his career. He’s going to have to kick on another level again if he wants to play for a big club as a starter.

I think it’ll be like this with Hannibal

Specifically for midfield? He has signed players like Eriksen, Zirkzee and Licha to be fair.

Eriksen should be playing more, even this season. He is our best controlling midfielder. Against teams where we'd dominate, he could easily play the role Gomes is playing tonight for England, but our rest defence is shite.

His ball progressions are seamless. The moment he sees the option he wants to take, he hits the pass, and is mostly very accurate with it too. Also makes space for himself in a flash, which is a given with that ridiculous centre of gravity.

He has qualities we're crying out for.

Santi Carzola was there or thereabouts his height and was perfectly fine in the PL. It's not height that should be the worry with Gomes, rather, whether he can handle the pace and aggression of the league. Personally, I think it wouldn't be a problem for him, but it still remains to be seen and that's the gamble for any interested party.

He'd be like our very own Bernardo Silva, but it seems ten Hag is obsessed with runners, as opposed to technicians.

bernardo best attribute outside of ball control is ability to press like a mad man and for that you need knowledge(can be learned) and physical/athletic(stamina/mobility/agility) capabilities.

didnt watch gomes since he left but he never had the latter and probably never will.

Such a clever player

It's a good thing he left for the sake of his career considering this clubs obsession with blood and thunder over technical ability

Opposition are terrible. It’s difficult to judge him. He has kept busy though to be fair.

Such a clever player

It's a good thing he left for the sake of his career considering this clubs obsession with blood and thunder over technical ability

Why do people keep making shit up in this thread? It’s so weird.

We got rid of Gomes. ETH is obsessed with runners. The club is obsessed with blood and thunder over technical ability. Literally none of these claims are true. They’re completely made up. You are all so strange.

Why mention Ten Haag. What’s he got to do with Gomes? And since when is a manager who signs players like Casemiro, Eriksen and Amrabat obsessed with runners?

I brought up Ten Hag because he’s our current manager. Interestingly, aside from Eriksen, the midfielders he’s signed so far excel more off the ball than on it, which is surprising considering the style of football he was known for at Ajax.

There is an Instagramer or something that finds how tall people are by pics via objects. Maybe we should ask him to find Gomes true height, end the conversation and have this thread about his actual performance.

He'd be like our very own Bernardo Silva, but it seems ten Hag is obsessed with runners, as opposed to technicians.
You’ve a couple obtuse replies to this post. It’s clear a midfielder like Gomes would never be in the interests of Hag. He’s a free agent in the summer, no? He should be a player we should be looking at under a new coach and style of football and a player to supplement our midfield when Eriksen/Casemiro go.

I brought up Ten Hag because he’s our current manager. Interestingly, aside from Eriksen, the midfielders he’s signed so far excel more off the ball than on it, which is surprising considering the style of football he was known for at Ajax.

If any one central midfielder has been his obsession it’s Frenkie De Jong. The others have all been stop gaps or poor approximations. He’s obviously a big fan of Mainoo too. Who is a CM that is all about technique on the ball.

If all he was interested in was CMs who run around a lot we’d still be watching McFred most weekends.

Why do people keep making shit up? It’s so weird.

It’s not weird at all. If you watch Ten Hag’s style of football, it’s clear that he prioritizes a midfielder's off-the-ball attributes.

Take Enrique, for example—he let Ugarte go in favour of Neves because Ugarte didn’t meet his on-the-ball requirements. On the other hand, Ten Hag signed Ugarte specifically for his pressing ability, which reflects the way he wants his team to play. No need to get defensive—that’s just how Ten Hag operates, which is why I don’t think Gomes would be an ideal fit.

Bring the fecker home.

rB8ApFz2Nr2AAvwiAAJSR1JOBac449.jpg.webp

It’s not weird at all. If you watch Ten Hag’s style of football, it’s clear that he prioritizes a midfielder's off-the-ball attributes.

Take Enrique, for example—he let Ugarte go in favour of Neves because Ugarte didn’t meet his on-the-ball requirements. On the other hand, Ten Hag signed Ugarte specifically for his pressing ability, which reflects the way he wants his team to play. No need to get defensive—that’s just how Ten Hag operates, which is why I don’t think Gomes would be an ideal fit.

That’s not true at all. As per the edit to my last post. This is a manager who rates De Jong over all and happily moved on Fred to make space for Mainoo. It’s just a complete fabrication to say he prefers runners to technical CMs. I’m sure he’d have happily have signed Neves ahead of Ugarte. That wasn’t an option though, was it?

Glad to hear he rose to of the occasion, showed the height of his abilities, and dwarfed his opponents on the way to a nice little win.

You’ve a couple obtuse replies to this post. It’s clear a midfielder like Gomes would never be in the interests of Hag. He’s a free agent in the summer, no? He should be a player we should be looking at under a new coach and style of football and a player to supplement our midfield when Eriksen/Casemiro go.

Yeah, I’m not sure why either. It’s not a criticism of Ten Hag, but more about the way he sets up his team. Those who watch us will clearly see that's the case.

City, for example, have players who work hard off the ball but are also technically excellent.

We had the opportunity to sign Mac Allister, who fits that mold of a hard-working technician, and we passed on it—for just £35M, too.

I mean he’s already been compared to De Jong in how he plays the game. A midfielder like him would “never be in the interests of Hag”? Seriously?