5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not that supriing given Young was in the form of his life and Di Maria in the worst form of his. Same happened with January this season. A young player with such great technical gifts constantly trying to play like a pacey winger and lacking the confidence to do what he normally would.
:lol:

Remember the WC Semi-final?

He was pretty unremarkable in that, but who got them through to the final?

Who the feck cares, you win a game of football by scoring more than the other team, people were getting excited by Young, but on several occasions he was subbed off for Di Maria, who came on and assisted the winning goal. We know he is a properly World Class player and he has shown that he can pull a bit of magic out of nothing time and time again over the season.

This is the same sort of attitude that gets players like Giggs & Nani booed at OT, hopefully he is resilient enough to get through it and he has admitted that it is his intention to improve his performances next season.

Some people don't half spout a lot of bollocks on here..

So what you're ultimately saying is Di Maria should be immune from all criticism last season because there's a chance he'll be booed and could produce magic once in a blue moon? hardly time and time again.

There's a reason why he was frozen out at times by LVG, and that's because he was costing the team with carelessness in possession either by aimlessly running himself into trouble or passing the ball straight back to the opposition. If you couldn't see reason for the criticism in that regard, I don't know. He also deserves praise for the good he did, but it was in very small bursts. For a world class player coming to United in or around his prime, people have every right to expect better than what he produced last season.

Last edited:
People bashing him based on one season performance baffles me,game in Premier league is completely different to where he had played before.
Slight adjustment is what he needed right now,which i completely expect from him from start next season.
how did Sanchez manage?

Saw this doing the rounds on twitter. It's still bizarre to me that people don't rate him on here.

iwsvWx7.jpg

People on here rate him. They just don't rate that iffy season he just had.

Saw this doing the rounds on twitter. It's still bizarre to me that people don't rate him on here.

iwsvWx7.jpg
Everyone knows he is world class when on form. And he was for the first couple of months and then generally solid for the first half of the season. The second half of the season has been largely bad from him though and that is all that people remember, how he got worse as the year went on.

Calling him flop of the year is a bit ridiculous though considering he had a good first half of the season and made a good impact, while others literally did nothing all year.

Sending cross after cross after cross into the box or just simply losing the ball isn't creative. Ashley Young can do that.

If Young can do what Di Maria does then why doesn't he? Without looking I'd guess he had roughly half the goals/assists that AdM had.

If Young can do what Di Maria does then why doesn't he? Without looking I'd guess he had roughly half the goals/assists that AdM had.

In fact he has less than a third of Di Maria's production, Young isn't as productive as Di Maria because he doesn't spot and try the killer balls, Di Maria is 100% creativity, he struggles to control himself.

iwsvWx7.jpg

He is called a flop because he cost £60million and ended up getting benched by Ashley Young. He also only scored 4 goals which isn't very impressive and his numbers at Madrid were miles better.

Don't buy into the "needs time to settle" either. His form was dipping long before his house was broken into and guys like Costa, Sanchez, Courtios all came from La Liga and hit the ground running and Sanchez was doing it whilst Arsenal had their worst ever Premier league start.

He will obviously be better next season, but his level of consistency really needs to be higher.

Is he ever gonna be a possession team footballer?

He's not Robben, who's actually very economic and rarely wasteful for a flair player.

And from watching van Gaal's football, it seems that there's room for one true flair player - and I think that's gonna be Memphis.

We should offer PSG di Maria for Verratti.

He's not Robben, who's actually very economic and rarely wasteful for a flair player.

And from watching van Gaal's football, it seems that there's room for one true flair player - and I think that's gonna be Memphis.

Well van Gaal said he uses 4 creative players: the wingers + 10 + striker. So there's room for Di Maria and Memphis in the same team.

Well van Gaal said he uses 4 creative players: the wingers + 10 + striker. So there's room for Di Maria and Memphis in the same team.

I think there's a difference between 'creative players' and out and out 'flair players' though, and I also think there's a difference between the type of footy that Ancelotti's Real were playing and the type of footy van Gaal is after.

I could be wrong, I just don't know that di Maria looks a van Gaal player.

If the cross ends up assisting a goal, then it is creative, is it not?

To answer both, the whole point of having creative players is so that the team won't have to resort to mid table style attacks e.g repetitive crossing. There's a reason why only 1.6% of crosses end up as goals in the league, it's an art of quantity not quality. Your average Joe such as Ashley Young can do that for you. Without looking I'd guess that ADM also loses the ball at triple the rate Ashley Young does. You don't see like likes of Hazard/Sanchez/Silva having a first instinct to hoof the ball into the box.

Little worried that his form isn't picking up at the copa america's.

Either way, hopefully a new season brings out his old form.

Get a striker that can finish some chances and he'll be looking a lot better, along with everyone else. Watch a video of his highlights and you'll see how many wasted opportunity he set up. It obviously fell apart as the season wore on but that was also a bit to do with World Cup fatigue that affected many players. Don't think he'll ever live up to the fee but he can still come good.

How's he doing at the COPA? Is he still starting for Argentina?
He'll always start. He's one of their best players. But he still looks out of form. That comfort and ease on the ball isn't there. Generally untidy, so far.

I'd gladly sell him to PSG ... Still got depay,young,mata and januzaj on the wings. Just think that he had one amazing season and is now back to his inconsistent best.

That's not going to change.

He's always been an erratic player from what I've seen.
A bit erratic yes, but still a superb dribbler and very comfortable on the ball. He'd always has the ability to tie defenders in knots. Right now he just doesn't look in command of his own game. It'll come IMO.

Last edited:
How's he doing at the COPA? Is he still starting for Argentina?

Don't know about the COPA but in the friendly before it didn't he score twice and get a handful of assists?

hopefully he gets a nice rest after copa and will be available for a few of our pre season game. we are expecting a lot more from a player of his caliber next season.

hopefully he gets a nice rest after copa and will be available for a few of our pre season game. we are expecting a lot more from a player of his caliber next season.

The Final will be the 4th July. If Argentina goes there of course.... Then he will have at least 3 weeks rest (I remember that Van Gaal gave RVP 4 weeks last year), meaning that Di Maria and Rojo, will be back in Manchester the frist week of August... Then they need to do their pre season on their own, while the players will prepare for the first game of the season against Spurs.

People bashing him based on one season performance baffles me,game in Premier league is completely different to where he had played before.

Slight adjustment is what he needed right now,which i completely expect from him from start next season.
I agree but I’ve not seen anything to suggest he’s adjusting to this league. He started well, but from the middle point it was only downwards.

You mean sending cross after cross in the box? That’s not being creative, and it’s not like a lot of his crosses resulted in goals. Young was playing ahead of Di Maria because he improved the team in general, while Angel was out of sync with the rest of our players.

If the cross ends up assisting a goal, then it is creative, is it not?
Moyes thinking.

That’s the question we should be asking ourselves. I doubt it personally.

I can't believe people want us to sell one of the few class attacking outlets we have.
If he has been a "class attacking outlet" for us then Ashley Young must have been one of the greatest attacking players United have ever had by comparison...

I'd be a little gutted to see ADM go so early on. I'd love to see what he could do next season in one fixed position, with a full pre season, the team having developed under LVG a year on.

I think he should stay at least one more season....unless PSG want to trade him for Verratti. :)

I think we'd all be disappointed with his season even if he cost £35m.

I've not been convinced by him at all, but I still have a little bit of hope that he will come good. With that being said, a decent sized bid from PSG and if I was in charge, I'd at least consider it.

We saw glimpses of what he can do last season, Im fully expecting him to push on this year and be a massive player for us

If he has been a "class attacking outlet" for us then Ashley Young must have been one of the greatest attacking players United have ever had by comparison...
Young 2 goals 5 assists
di Maria 3 goals 10 assists

added to the fact that I'm sure di Maria has played a lot less minutes! di Maria has created more chances than anyone else last season despite playing half the games as some players makes him a "class attacking outlet". Yes his performances mightn't have been great at times but if he's creating goals and chances (which he is more than anyone else) then who cares?!

Young 2 goals 5 assists
di Maria 3 goals 10 assists

added to the fact that I'm sure di Maria has played a lot less minutes! di Maria has created more chances than anyone else last season despite playing half the games as some players makes him a "class attacking outlet". Yes his performances mightn't have been great at times but if he's creating goals and chances (which he is more than anyone else) then who cares?!

The thing is, despite ADM not being anywhere near 2/3 his best...he has still created chances and is not afraid to try something in order to create a chance. If we get anything like his Madrid form from him next season we'll be a nightmare to defend against IMO. A broken first season isn't enough for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.