5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADM is vital for United to do well in CL. You guys may win the league without him, but in CL it's vital you get the last ounce of juice from this guy. You need that extra quality, that additonal push to win in CL knock-out games. ADM is the perfect guy for that, he can give you something extra in tight games.
I think we need him big time in the league as well given we don't have many players that can do what he can at his best and basically turn defenders inside out by running at them.

Other players who transferred from La Liga to the EPL did say that they now have more space and more time on the ball. David Silva and Aguero off the top of my head.

Fabregas on the two leagues:

"La Liga and the Premier League are different," he told Cope. "The Spanish league is more technical but the Premier has changed a lot since I left - it has improved a lot, tactically. The teams below know best how to compete with the big ones. Beating them is more complicated. The Premier League is more competitive but, in Spain, there is more quality.

“The English league is more difficult to win, but on an individual level, it is much, much easier to shine in England,”
It’s a question of space,” he said. “A Spanish-style footballer, like [David] Silva or [Mesut] Özil, if they can find two seconds to think, will see the pass because there’ll be space. … In Spain, reducing space is worked on more. In England, it’s fast, but you can find that space if you are a good player.”

Spain does it right I think. In our league it is almost accepted to go in very hard on players with a slight physique and quick feet. In Spain that's at least a yellow or a red.

Surely it's not about how "Hard" you go in, but whether it's a clean tackle or not.

Surely it's not about how "Hard" you go in, but whether it's a clean tackle or not.
I would consider many shoulder charges Di Maria got throughout the season and tactical fouls to stop him from going into the box as very dangerous challenges which only a few times got punished with a free kick or yellow card. Even Herrera and Mata get this kind of treatment from time to time. :( Ronaldo used to get that a lot as well here, goes past 2 players and gets a very rough sliding challenge that takes both the ball and the man.

Captain Rev
I would consider many shoulder charges Di Maria got throughout the season and tactical fouls to stop him from going into the box as very dangerous challenges which only a few times got punished with a free kick or yellow card. Even Herrera and Mata get this kind of treatment from time to time. :( Ronaldo used to get that a lot as well here, goes past 2 players and gets a very rough sliding challenge that takes both the ball and the man.
It is still football, which is meant to be a contact game.

Although the likes of Barcelona try and make it otherwise.

Never can a team have combined such fine football with such levels of cheating.

Suarez on his own was on the floor so much yesterday at the merest touch. He's built like a brick sh!Thouse

some myths being created in here.

First - ADM wasnt off form. He indeed was off form, he should have started last few games, sure, but that doesnt change the fact he was in poor form for a good while.

Second - LVG doesnt give some players freedom to play. That's another myth which has been busted again and again but people will repeat it nontheless.

I would like him to do well but I don't see any change happening from last year, if he can stay injury free he has a much better chance though.

How would that even be possible? Unless you're looking at yourself in a mirror... but then you wouldn't be watching the game, so your jaw would be dropping at your own reflection. I don't think that's what you were getting at, but it's the only thing that makes sense.

I'd really love to see him firing on all cylinders next season! Such a fantastic player

Not that I'm calling you out or anything but considering most of us on here are United fans, we'd all want him to do this wouldn't we?

I want us to cut our losses because I don't see him fitting the team or league and don't think he really wants to be here but ideally I'd love him to habe a great year for us too.

Not that I'm calling you out or anything but considering most of us on here are United fans, we'd all want him to do this wouldn't we?

I want us to cut our losses because I don't see him fitting the team or league and don't think he really wants to be here but ideally I'd love him to habe a great year for us too.
If he doesn't want to be here he won't be next season. If he stays it means he's up for the challenge. I hope that's the case because we don't have a dribbler like him in our squad and finding one will be difficult.

This is a forum where I can only speak for myself and not for all of you/us, and after reading some of the comments on this forum over time, I'm not sure if all the fans want players to do well.

Why would you sell him after just one season? Why not give players a proper chance? Would you have sold Vidic or Evra as well?

Why would you sell him after just one season? Why not give players a proper chance? Would you have sold Vidic or Evra as well?

It's bonkers isn't it? If you listened to some fans we should be selling Angel, Mata, Rooney, RVP, Januzaj, Rafael, Shaw, Herrera at one point, not to mention all the shit players we should've sold last year.

Were fans always this mental? Or has Football Manager and FIFA melted some people's ability to think in real world terms?

Last edited:
This is a forum where I can only speak for myself and not for all of you/us, and after reading some of the comments on this forum over time, I'm not sure if all the fans want players to do well.

Knowing the type of player he is and the type of player LVG would prefer him to be, and seeing thats not gonna happen?

Plus the kicker still remains his family and their perceived distrust of Manchester after the break-in. His performances fell off a cliff once that happened and never recovered. Factor in that he didn't want to leave Madrid and supposedly wanting to join PSG before us and these are all things that neither Evra or Vidic presented.

You can say it's all rumours and hearsay but theres no smoke without fire.

That all said, just like most, if we had a fully firing Di Maria it'd be amazing and I'd love it.

It's bonkers isn't it? If you listened to some fans we should be selling Angel, Mata, Rooney, RVP, Januzaj, Rafael, Shaw, Herrera at one point, not to mention all the shit players we should've sold last year.

Were fans always this mental? Or has Football Manager and FIFA melted some people's ability to think in real world terms?
Fans were always fickle. No patience with our players and wanting to get rid very quickly but demanding eternal loyalty.

It annoys me when fans want to sell a 19 year old talent, a world class player who had a dificult 2nd half (in his first season) or a very talented spanish midfielder who needed some time to adjust. Where is the fan's loyalty, patience and common sense?

Knowing the type of player he is and the type of player LVG would prefer him to be, and seeing thats not gonna happen?

Plus the kicker still remains his family and their perceived distrust of Manchester after the break-in. His performances fell off a cliff once that happened and never recovered. Factor in that he didn't want to leave Madrid and supposedly wanting to join PSG before us and these are all things that neither Evra or Vidic presented.

You can say it's all rumours and hearsay but theres no smoke without fire.

That all said, just like most, if we had a fully firing Di Maria it'd be amazing and I'd love it.
Now that's a lot of speculation. We dont know if he's the type of player that will thrive under LVG, because he had brilliant as well as poor games. But I wonder how you came to that conclusion... And how he and his family now feel in England, well, no one knows unless you're a close friend. The same goes for that PSG transfer.

Who's making the smoke? The reliable English papers?

Now that's a lot of speculation. We dont know if he's the type of player that will thrive under LVG, because he had brilliant as well as poor games. But I wonder how you came to that conclusion... And how he and his family now feel in England, well, no one knows unless you're a close friend. The same goes for that PSG transfer.

Who's making the smoke? The reliable English papers?

We can only go up off what we hear and yeah, entirely speculative but it makes sense. I'm sure his wife wasn't best pleased about leaving Madrid but then losing Paris and ending up in Manc followed by getting burgled must've made life fun for Di Maria at home. As I said his performances fell off a cliff after that came out...

I should probably work for tabloids...2+2=5 right?

Fans were always fickle. No patience with our players and wanting to get rid very quickly but demanding eternal loyalty.

It annoys me when fans want to sell a 19 year old talent, a world class player who had a dificult 2nd half (in his first season) or a very talented spanish midfielder who needed some time to adjust. Where is the fan's loyalty, patience and common sense?
This. We've had a lot of changes in our team and are going through a transitional period. Let's give everyone a little if time before we make our final and defining conclusions about them all. It's not so hard.

We can only go up off what we hear and yeah, entirely speculative but it makes sense. I'm sure his wife wasn't best pleased about leaving Madrid but then losing Paris and ending up in Manc followed by getting burgled must've made life fun for Di Maria at home. As I said his performances fell off a cliff after that came out...

I should probably work for tabloids...2+2=5 right?
It may makes sense but we dont know. For me, ADM is just too good to sell right now. At least give him another chance because if it would work out with him we have a top 5 players in our team who creates so many chances - exactly what we'd need right now

Yeah he's basically a chance creating machine. It would be silly if, assuming he wants to stay, we give up on a player who is quite comfortably our most creative and one of the most creative around. It's something we aren't that good at either.

body contact can be allowed only if the ball is open to anyone. once a player keeps the ball under his possession any body contact is not allowed anymore. or body contacts could have also happened as subsequent actions after a clean tackle is being made. at least this is the standard that football is played everywhere in the world and maybe there is only one place in exception

definitely adm was very furious of the never-ending illegal body contacts he received during the season and was frustrated when the criminals were all immune from punishment. his reaction to michael oliver is just a reflection of it

Saw this doing the rounds on twitter. It's still bizarre to me that people don't rate him on here.

iwsvWx7.jpg

Yeah but by his standards he flopped. If he produced the same again next season? People would be disappointed. I don't think anyone can doubt that.

Saw this doing the rounds on twitter. It's still bizarre to me that people don't rate him on here.

iwsvWx7.jpg

Stats never tell the whole story. It was a really poor season from him in terms of performance. I'm not sure anybody can deny that.

The way I see it is that he performed relatively well when you take into context our team performance as a whole.

Those stats for the fourth best team in the league are quite impressive. Yes, you'd have expected more from him, but it's hard to shine in a team that was as inconsistent as we were, last season. The fact that many considered Ashley Young as our best outfield performer last season illustrates just how bad we were. Not to take anything away from Young, however, his first season for Man United was better than his last season for us.

Stats never tell the whole story. It was a really poor season from him in terms of performance. I'm not sure anybody can deny that.

It wasn't his best season, but he was still our most creative player.

He played well in a few games and racked up good stats. He was invisible for the rest of season.

He was still creating during his "bad" spell. And he was invisible because he was on the bench from March onwards.

Regardless, we all expect far more from him, next season. Especially, if we're challenging for the league.

Still amazes me how frequently he overhits passes, especially considering his quality. Also very strange that Young was better beating men from a standing start.

He's obviously insanely creative, which is why we signed him. But he did have a sub par year which ended horribly.

He didn't look good in his 1st copa game either, but I'm still confident in him doing well for us because this slump aside he's an excellent player.

Still amazes me how frequently he overhits passes, especially considering his quality. Also very strange that Young was better beating men from a standing start.
Not that supriing given Young was in the form of his life and Di Maria in the worst form of his. Same happened with January this season. A young player with such great technical gifts constantly trying to play like a pacey winger and lacking the confidence to do what he normally would.

So, in those 8 games he did more than any of our other players did in the rest of the season... yet he's the problem?
He had a few good games. He was beyond dreadful after the turn of year and produced very little, yes he's a bit of a problem right now, a €70m problem at that.

di Maria's first 10 games: Minutes: 820; G/A: 3/6 Man United results (W/D/L): 5/3/2 GF/GA: 17/12
di Maria's next 10 games: Minutes: 204; G/A: 0/0 Man United results (W/D/L): 6/3/1 GF/GA: 17/6
di Maria's next 10 games: Minutes: 608; G/A: 0/7 Man United results (W/D/L): 8/1/1 GF/GA: 23/9
di Maria's last 6 games : Minutes: 99 ; G/A: 0/0 Man United results (W/D/L): 1/2/3 GF/GA: 3/7

His performances during the end of last season weren't close to the first few games, yet they weren't as bad as some make out. They key to his performances were playing consistently, during which he would constantly produce, more than anyone else.

People bashing him based on one season performance baffles me,game in Premier league is completely different to where he had played before.
Slight adjustment is what he needed right now,which i completely expect from him from start next season.

Remember the WC Semi-final?

He was pretty unremarkable in that, but who got them through to the final?

Who the feck cares, you win a game of football by scoring more than the other team, people were getting excited by Young, but on several occasions he was subbed off for Di Maria, who came on and assisted the winning goal. We know he is a properly World Class player and he has shown that he can pull a bit of magic out of nothing time and time again over the season.

This is the same sort of attitude that gets players like Giggs & Nani booed at OT, hopefully he is resilient enough to get through it and he has admitted that it is his intention to improve his performances next season.

Some people don't half spout a lot of bollocks on here...

Status
Not open for further replies.