Ander Herrera - When will he get a game?

I love Herrera but Carrick's a far better passer and was the most creative player on the pitch by a country mile.
Yes and we missed Carrick when he was out, so a replacement for Carrick was needed. So we went and bought another midfielder as well. Amazingly we have overdone it in the midfield department.

Looks more likely that he will get sold. Our midfield is not doing poorly and they are playing as Van Gaal would want. So, their is no place for Herrera in our team at the moment unless one get injuried or he finds his way back into the team like last season.

Needs to be Herrera + 1 at home when playing teams who will likely be in the bottom half

"Doesn't offer goalscoring threat" - 6 goals last season
"Can't play at DM" - Was outstanding in a the two man midfield last year.

It isn't just his goalscoring threat, it's the way he plays generally. He's a midfielder, not the second striker type LVG obviously wants.

Also, Herrera did score well last season but that had never really been his game before then. If I remember right his conversion rate was unsustainably high too. Think judging his goal threat on last season alone might be a bit misleading...

Relax, it only took a 2 months for LvG to change his dogshit 3-5-2 formation, I expect same thing will happen with Herrera.
We're only few draws/losses away until manager starts Herrera again. It's a process.

His omission is all the more puzzling given how deep some of our attacks originate from. Plus there are a few better players when it comes to timing their runs into the box than him. Please LVG bring back Ander and the formation we had in the latter stages of last season

If I'm Herrera I'm knocking on the bosses door tomorrow and asking what I have to do. And if I'm not in the starting line up next week against Brugge then I'm handing my transfer notice in. That may seem extreme but he's clearly not fancied.

He's never let LVG down, he always brings tempo and a bit of cutting edge and yet he's overlooked.

Fair play Carrick played well today when he came on but at the time it seemed a rather negative move. I just don't know what Herrera has to do?

Then he sees Valencia come on over him as well! To put more terrible crosses in to the box with no real targets anyway.

He performed so well with Mata last season. I don't know why LvG is going blind with that. Herrera could be in for No. 10, but instead subbing Darmian for Valencia as the last sub.

He performed so well with Mata last season. I don't know why LvG is going blind with that. Herrera could be in for No. 10, but instead subbing Darmian for Valencia as the last sub.
Did Darmian pick up a knock at all. If yes I will forgive him for that one. If not he is a stubborn idiot. He should have come on for Bastian.

Did Darmian pick up a knock at all. If yes I will forgive him for that one. If not he is a stubborn idiot. He should have come on for Bastian.

Darmian looked fine but I'm not sure, though. Fergie would have gone for the throat if we were chasing game at OT :(.

If we're struggling to get goals, unfortunately, Van Gaal won't put Herrera in. He wants his 10 to be more of a goal threat than creative, hence why he uses Januzaj and Memphis ahead of him.

Should have come on for schneiderlin. Absolutely no need for 2 deep CMs in the last 30mins as Newcastle had even their striker defending.

I do fear for him though. He's superb but I just can't see him getting too many starts this season as I think it'll always be schneiderlin + 1 of BFS/Carrick.

If we're struggling to get goals, unfortunately, Van Gaal won't put Herrera in. He wants his 10 to be more of a goal threat than creative, hence why he uses Januzaj and Memphis ahead of him.
Januzaj isn't that much of a threat. He gets a couple of goals a season then disappears.

Unfortunately neither Memphis or Januzaj is a No10.

Neither are good enough in that position. Januzaj should not be ahead in the pecking order.

Should have come on for schneiderlin. Absolutely no need for 2 deep CMs in the last 30mins as Newcastle had even their striker defending.

I do fear for him though. He's superb but I just can't see him getting too many starts this season as I think it'll always be schneiderlin + 1 of BFS/Carrick.
If the goalscoring carries on like this, we won't be winning anything. Then LvG will be the one who is worried.

Agree with this. Two DMs is overkill against a parked bus. Herera provides goal threat while contributing defensively at the same time.

Sadly think he showed that he IS a goal that last season but had gotten pegged as a holding mid in LVG's mind for some reason

Unfortunately neither Memphis or Januzaj is a No10.

Neither are good enough in that position. Januzaj should not be ahead in the pecking order.

I agree, but I must say I'm not sure Herrera would have made a massive difference today anyway. In a game like this, where Newcastle set up with 11 men behind the ball, we needed runners in behind. Ander, as good as he is, likes to drop and link the play.

If the goalscoring carries on like this, we won't be winning anything. Then LvG will be the one who is worried.

I don't think he'll get the boot even if we don't win anything as long as we compete which I think he will. The goals will come. We could easily have scored 3 today and this place would be celebrating. It was comfortably our best performance in the league this season.

I agree, but I must say I'm not sure Herrera would have made a massive difference today anyway. In a game like this, where Newcastle set up with 11 men behind the ball, we needed runners in behind. Ander, as good as he is, likes to drop and link the play.

We needed some creativity and dynamism in the middle. Passing out wide to Depay the whole time so he can aim pointless balls at Coloccini's head wasn't really going to work.

We needed some creativity and dynamism in the middle. Passing out wide to Depay the whole time so he can aim pointless balls at Coloccini's head wasn't really going to work.
We needed the movement through the middle. Memphis looked shot tbh. This is a very quick league. It might have been best to rest him today and play him on Wednesday. Instead he played him and the poor kid looked terrible.

We needed the movement through the middle. Memphis looked shot tbh. This is a very quick league. It might have been best to rest him today and play him on Wednesday. Instead he played him and the poor kid looked terrible.

LVG won't rotate much. He'd want to get used to it!

Don't think Herrera would have changed that. Numerous games with Herrera was on the pitch last season where we saw the same thing. Newcastle were too compact and deep. If we were going to get something today, it was from getting the ball wide, stretching Newcastle, and getting it into the box. We got into very good crossing areas throughout the game, but our crossing was very poor today.

I expect we'll play with 3 mids on Wednesday so he'll play then.

I can see Us switching it up and setting up the way we did last year once its time to face the top sides. Against the lesser teams januzaj can provide more edge with his pace and dribbling. And i can fully understand why Carrick was brought on over Herrera today as we'd have lost all our passing range in midfeld had we brought in Herrera instead, serving only to clutter the play. Its only the very start of the season he'll get plenty of games.

Don't think Herrera would have changed that. Numerous games with Herrera was on the pitch last season where we saw the same thing. Newcastle were too compact and deep. If we were going to get something today, it was from getting the ball wide, stretching Newcastle, and getting it into the box. We got into very good crossing areas throughout the game, but our crossing was very poor today.

It's really irrelevant if our crosses are good crosses or not because Rooney and Mata aren't going to win headers against Coloccini and Taylor. You are relying on a lucky break to get a goal.

One of our best players, who can increase the tempo of our passing and he is not used, its a joke.

He won't get a game, as long as LvG thinks he's too "unpredictable" and can't "hold" his position. Which is a shame, as we clearly need someone who can differentiate from the norm. A runner from midfield, who will "vacate" the middle in the quest to score goals.

No but that's mostly what we do. Neither Mata nor Rooney are quick enough to dart in front of a defender however. Hernandez is. I'd rather Hernandez over Rooney if we are going to play a crossing tactic.

It actually isn't. Our crosses today didn't even clear the first man. Also, Mata and Rooney are very good in and around the box. The players putting it in just have to look.

Agree with this. Two DMs is overkill against a parked bus. Herera provides goal threat while contributing defensively at the same time.

Compared to last season when we had that goal threat with carrick holding, and Herrera plus fellaini has the 2 in the middle with carrick playing deep. He's cut the goal supply for 2 none goal scoring midfielders

He won't get a game, as long as LvG thinks he's too "unpredictable" and can't "hold" his position. Which is a shame, as we clearly need someone who can differentiate from the norm. A runner from midfield, who will "vacate" the middle in the quest to score goals.
Which is why we are again predictable and easy to park the bus against.

Compared to last season when we had that goal threat with carrick holding, and Herrera plus fellaini has the 2 in the middle with carrick playing deep. He's cut the goal supply for 2 none goal scoring midfielders
We had next to no threat up front last season, a good proportion of goals were coming from the midfielders, Fellaini, Mata, Herrera. Now there is no threat again up front and he has completely got rid of the midfield threat as well.

It actually isn't. Our crosses today didn't even clear the first man. Also, Mata and Rooney are very good in and around the box. The players putting it in just have to look.

They aren't great at getting in front of the defenders though. They are great at picking up a loose ball. We are relying on a mistake for us to score unless it's both an unbelievable ball & brilliant run from one of them, and they are few and far between.

Most of the crosses attempted are in-swinging looping/whipped ones (unless it's Darmian), which is fodder for the likes of Coloccini.