All-time same (first) name XI...

5-2-3 of Johns:

John Barnes--------John Charles------Jean Pierre-Papin

Jean Tigana------John Obi-Mikel

John Arne Riise------------------------------------------------------------------Jonny

John Terry------Johan Cruyff------Jonny Evans

John Lukic​
Definitely needs a bit of the legendary John O'Shea

Pepe Bican Moreno
Masopust Pirri Bozsik
Camacho Santamaría Nasazzi Andrade
Chilavert​
Ha, made my team of Joes before seeing this. The Guiseppes are an option too.

qDyIic6.png

Didn't think of Boszik, he'd come in instead of Zito.

Hahaha not sure about this one, at least in spanish Paulo/Paul, Paolo and Pavel and complety different names.

Pavel correctly translate to spanish would be Pablo.

While Paulo and Paul are correct, Paolo id completely different.

Hahaha not sure about this one, at least in spanish Paulo/Paul, Paolo and Pavel and complety different names.

Pavel correctly translate to spanish would be Pablo.

While Paulo and Paul are correct, Paolo id completely different.

Pablo is the Spanish name for Paul :lol:

Pablo is the Spanish name for Paul :lol:
Are you sure? Hahaha it may be but in Mexico I have plenty of friends name Pablo and Paul and never thought they were the same name in different language.

I just googled it and its true haha Paul is the english version of Pablo. I’ve been hearing that name all my life and always thought it was an spanish name

Surname Silva. (It's going to be Brazil heavy)

Dida

Bosingwa, Thiago Silva, Lucio, Roberto Carlos

Mauro Silva, Ze Roberto

Bernardo Silva, David Silva

Neymar, Eduardo

Last edited:
5-2-3 of Johns:

John Barnes--------John Charles------Jean Pierre-Papin

Jean Tigana------John Obi-Mikel

John Arne Riise------------------------------------------------------------------Jonny

John Terry------Johan Cruyff------Jonny Evans

John Lukic​

I think ‘Juans’ are also eligible for the John team right?

I think ‘Juans’ are also eligible for the John team right?
I originally had Juan, Jan, Ivan and even Yaya in there. But I figured I'd leave those for somebody else to come up with their own team. Didn't want to be greedy.

I originally had Juan, Jan, Ivan and even Yaya in there. But I figured I'd leave those for somebody else to come up with their own team. Didn't want to be greedy.

You noble man!

Unfortunately for Guardiola, those midfielders are genuine All-Time greats of the game!

Bozsik is arguably the finest midfielder from the '50s after Didi, and was pretty much the architect of the historically great Mighty Magyars with Hidegkuti.

Pirri is Madrid's version of Bryan Robson — and probably the greatest midfielder from Spain after Xavi, Suárez and Iniesta. (Link).

And Masopust was one the few central midfielders to win the Ballon D'Or and was adjudged the best player of the 1962 World Cup after Garrincha...

Pep should definitely be an option off the bench, though. :)

I will take your word for it! :D

Robert Enke

Robert Jarni
Roberto Sensini
Roberto Ayala
Roberto Carlos

Roberto Di Matteo
Robert Prosinecki
Robert Pires
Roberto Donadoni

Roberto Baggio
Roberto Firmino
A team full of Roberts without Lewandowski?

In islamic culture all boys are given the name of their prophet as an addition to their regular first name. Depending on the country it is written in the passport or not.
Thank you, thought I was going mad then
Not to derail the thread, I have no idea where you got that from. Mohammad is a very common name among Muslims, but this is not a thing.

James XI

(David) James

James Collins
Jamie Carragher
James Tarkowski

James Maddison
James Milner
Jamie Redknapp
James Rodriguez

Jimmy Greaves
Jamie Vardy
Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink

Bit of a struggle with the defence and keepers but midfield and attack looks decent.

What about Mo / Mohammed (etc)? Don't all Muslims have that as their first name?
:) Nope, not all.
Many yes but it wouldn't even reach half of all.

Also, I tried remembering a few, but not many footballers with that first name variations made it to the big stage I mean not famous enough.
Let's see..
  • Mohamed Salah
  • Mohamed Sissoko
  • Mahamadou Diarra
  • ???

Also, I tried remembering a few, but not many footballers with that first name variations made it to the big stage I mean not famous enough.
Let's see..
  • Mohamed Salah
  • Mohamed Sissoko
  • Mahamadou Diarra
  • ???
Ah OK, thanks - you learn (or unlearn?) something new every day! :)

Let's see..
  • Mohamed Salah
  • Mohamed Sissoko
  • Mahamadou Diarra
  • ???
Mo Besic?

Thomas Sorenson

Thomas Helveg
Tomasz Repka
Thomas Vermaelen
Thomas Meunier

Thomas Partey
Tomás Rosicky
Tom Huddlestone

Thomas Lemar
Thomas Muller
Tomas Brolin

Let's see..
  • Mohamed Salah
  • Mohamed Sissoko
  • Mahamadou Diarra
  • ???
Mamadou Sakho
Mohamed Abutrieka
Mehmet Scholl
Mido
Mohamed Zidane

Still not enough for an 11 though

Trying to make the best XI of my namesakes, but it's surprisingly tough. There is an absurd abundance of quality right backs (Alves, McGrain, Petrescu, Carvajal), but not so much on the other side. I know that McGrain used to play on the left for Scotland a lot, but I don't believe it would function in this team, due to the severe lack of creativity further upfront and no quality wide player available on the left flank. With Danilo and De Rossi in front of defence, it also makes sense to go for the most offensive full-backs possible. Alves is the obvious choice and Rose, as far as I can see, the only one. I omitted Blind because of Passarella. In regards to Sturridge, one singular sensational season is simply not good enough. Also, Blanchflower is technically a Robert, so they can have him.

GK: Danijel Subašić

RB: Dani Alves
CB: Daniel van Buyten
CB: Daniel Passarella
LB: Danny Rose

DM: Daniele De Rossi
DM: Danilo Alvim
AM: Dani Ceballos

RW: Daniel Bertoni
LW: Danny
CF: Dani Ruiz-Bazán

Options: Blind, Agger, McGrain, Petrescu, Carvajal, Pereira, Borimirov, Parejo, Popivoda, Fonseca, Sturridge
For the future: Zagadou, Olmo, James, Welbeck

Andreas Isaksson

Andre Almeida
Andreas Christensen
Andre Ooijer
Andy Robertsson

Andres Iniesta
Andrea Pirlo
Andreas Brehme

Andrei Kanchelskis
Andriy Shevchenko
Andy Cole

Some team that!

Andreas Isaksson

Andre Almeida
Andreas Christensen
Andre Ooijer
Andy Robertsson

Andres Iniesta
Andrea Pirlo
Andreas Brehme

Andrei Kanchelskis
Andriy Shevchenko
Andy Cole

Some team that!

That’s a strong fecking team! Who would have thought the Andrews could be so cool?!

Michael is another one where you have multiple All-Time great players for similar roles (Platini and Laudrup) but a distinct shortage in certain spots! (ノ°Д°)ノ︵ ┻━┻

Similar to Robert where you start out strong with Bobby Moore, Bobby Charlton, Roberto Carlos, Roberto Baggio but run into potential redundancies like Rivelino.

Roberto Rivelino could never be deemed a redundancy.

Pat Jennings

Patrick van Aanholt
Patrick Battiston
Paddy McNair
Patrice Evra

Paddy Crerand
Patrick Vieira
Patrick Vervoort

Patrick Kluivert
Patrice Loko
Pat Nevin

Pat Jennings

Patrick van Aanholt
Patrick Battiston
Paddy McNair
Patrice Evra

Paddy Crerand
Patrick Vieira
Patrick Vervoort

Patrick Kluivert
Patrice Loko
Pat Nevin

Paddy McNair let the side down massively!

Couldn't find anyone else.

Been said below, but was thinking Patrik Andersson. He was actually a world class centre half in the 90s/00s.

Patrik Berger probably in with a shout too for that side.

Dembele

Dembele
Dembele
Dembele
Dembele

Dembele
Dembele
Dembele

Dembele
Dembele
Dembele

I havent cross checked, but based on the headlines in the last few transfer periods it sounds about right. Think most of em are called Moussa, or if not that an anagram of that.

Team Michael:

Michel Preud’Homme

Michel Salgado
Miguel Nadal
Mikael Silvestre
Michel Bastos

Michael Essien
Michael Ballack
Michael Laudrup

Michel Platini

Michael Owen
Mikkael Forssell

Think Forssell is the stand-out weakness in that side, otherwise, pretty strong all round. Michael just wasn’t the most fancied name for the cool frontmen it seems, unless I have missed some.

Been said below, but was thinking Patrik Andersson. He was actually a world class centre half in the 90s/00s.

Patrik Berger probably in with a shout too for that side.
Unbelievable I didn't think of Patrick Andersson. I have lived in Sweden since 1980 and he was a class act. Played for Barca!

Patrick van Aanholt
Battiston or Rice over van Aanholt! :)
Think Forssell is the stand-out weakness in that side, otherwise, pretty strong all round. Michael just wasn’t the most fancied name for the cool frontmen it seems, unless I have missed some.
You can resolve the Forssell conundrum by selecting Míchel as the right midfielder, while moving Laudrup to left midfield (à la Iniesta/Isco in contemporary football). Also, Migueli can start over Silvestre...

Capture.png

Yet another ‘all-time XI’ thread. Anyway, today’s take is on a first name basis. I will allow international variations of the same name. For example, a Francis, Frances, Francesco and Francois are all permitted in the same XI, as are Mark and Marco etc.

Anyway, to get things moving, I present ‘Team David’:

David Seaman

Davide Santon
David Luiz
David Astori
David Alaba

David Batty
David Beckham
David Silva

David Ginola
David Trezeguet
David Villa

————————D.Seaman————————
—D. Santon——D.Luiz—D.Astori—D.Alaba—
—————————D.Batty———————————
————D.Beckham———D.Silva—————
—D.Ginola——D.Trezeguet——D.Villa—

Subs (not necessary but I’m just being extra):

David James
Davide Zappaccosta
David Weir
David Platt
David Bentley
David Bellion
David Connolly

How have you done a team, with subs, of Davids, and gone for David Seaman and David fecking James over David De Gea?