All Time Reserves Draft | Quarters

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Nah, like I said if you have a man dropping in to man that area he leaves, it's really fine. It wasn't the case in the last draft which is where this discussion is being carried on from.
Oh, well that's fair enough. I think it was the team with a very attacking fullback in it, right? Thought that was a pretty woeful set-up to use any of his incarnations, even at Inter he wasn't as disciplined in the league as in some of the CL matches and his centerback partner was in my opinion the better of the two in the domestic competitions.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Some lovely picks recently. Many of the round 6 picks are stronger than their round 5 equivalents.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Velibor Vasović (Serbian Cyrillic: Велибор Васовић; October 3, 1939 in Požarevac, Danube Banovina, Kingdom of Yugoslavia – March 4, 2002 in Belgrade, Serbia, FR Yugoslavia) was a Serbian footballer and manager, also one of the legendary players of Partizan Belgrade and one of greatest defenders of his generation. A sweeper who could play in midfield, Vasović was renowned for his defensive positioning, never-say-die attitude and tactical awareness.
He's blocked ;). Doubt he would have lasted this long otherwise.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG

Bernardus "Barry" Adriaan Hulshoff (born 30 September 1946 in Deventer, Overijssel) is a former Dutch footballer who played for Ajax Amsterdam and was part of their European Cup victories in 1971, 1972 and 1973.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
1. Stobzilla & KM - 1. Enzo Francescoli 2. Fritz Walter 3. Juan Joya 4. Roger Marche 5. Nestor Goncalves 6. Larbi Ben M'barek 7. Branko Stankovic
2. Downcast - 1. Luis Suarez 2. Rensenbrink 3. Osvaldo Ardiles 4. Gerrard 5. Vieri 6. Rep 7.Hulshoff
3. RedTiger - 1. Gianni Rivera 2. Stielike 3. Bossis 4. J.Greaves 5. Donadoni 6. Lucio
4. Sjor Bepo & Invictus - 1. Gérson 2. Förster 3. Riva 4. Kaltz 5. Wright 6. Orsi
5. Tuppet - 1. Florian Albert 2. Thomas Muller 3. Blanchflower 4. Josef Bican 5. Roberto perfumo 6. Bonhof
6. Aldo Staine - 1. Teófilo Cubillas 2. Mario Kempes 3. Pietro Vierchowod 4. Armando Picchi 5. Elkjær Larsen 6. Amancio
7. Chesterlestreet - 1. Matthias Sindelar 2. Kazimierz Deyna 3. Grzegorz Lato 4. Wilhelmus "Wim" Jansen 5. Roberto Rosato 6. Zito
8. Isotope - 1. Sandro Mazzola 2. Tostao 3. Ciro Ferrara 4. Gianluca Zambrotta 5. Ince 6. Just Fontaine
9. Skizzo & Pat_Mustard - 1. Uwe Seeler 2. B. Conti 3. Ruggeri 4. Lerby 5. Labruna 6. Hanappi
10. harms & Annah - 1. Zizinho 2. Keizer 3. Netto 4. D. Alves 5. Leonidas Da Silva 6. Streltsov
11. green_smiley - 1. Dixie Dean 2. Dobrin 3. Luis Pereira 4. Israël 5. Romeo Benetti 6. Di Bartolomei
12. BBRBB - 1- Nils Liedholm 2. Júnior 3. Alain Giresse 4. Diego Godín 5. Thiago Silva 6. Nándor Hidegkuti
13. Physiocrat - 1. Kaka 2. Zagallo 3. Modric 4. Cerezo 5. Evra 6. Taylor
14. mazhar13 & Marty1968 - 1. W. Overath 2. H.G. Schwarzenbeck 3. H. Szymaniak 4. H. Crespo 5. F. Causio 6. M. Tassotti
15. Edgar Allan Pillow- 1. L Brady 2. N Stiles 3. K Dalglish 4. I Rush 5. VR Andrade 6. Danny Blind
16. Enigma_87 - 1. Allan Simonsen 2. Schweinsteiger 3. Stojkovic 4. David Villa 5. Bratseth 6. Willi Schulz

@RedTiger

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
He was absolutely stunning in his young years in Leverkusen's tactics. Not only brilliant defensively, but really often dribbling through midfield while 'someone, who is yet unpicked' dropped back in the defense. He was such a crucial piece in that side, that arguably deserved to win the CL and was unlucky to lose to Zidane's wondergoal (Lucio scored the equaliser before that). He was far more influential than in any other team he played in. Not sure what's RedTiger's and Joga's exact plan is for their team, but with Stielike in the team, his Leverkusen incarnation is the one you want in my opinion.

He was excellent at Inter, but in my opinion not really any different to his peak at Bayern under Hitzfeld when he often enough showed similarly disciplined performances, certainly in the year when we set a new defensive record in the league. Inter was just an overall better team and gave him a better plattform to shine than he ever got in his 5 years at Bayern.
Interesting. He was absolutely thrilling to watch back then in the CL for Leverkusen without a doubt, but like Aldo I kind of assumed people considered his peak to be at Inter.

Moby

Dick
1. Stobzilla & KM - 1. Enzo Francescoli 2. Fritz Walter 3. Juan Joya 4. Roger Marche 5. Nestor Goncalves 6. Larbi Ben M'barek 7. Branko Stankovic
2. Downcast - 1. Luis Suarez 2. Rensenbrink 3. Osvaldo Ardiles 4. Gerrard 5. Vieri 6. Rep 7.Hulshoff
3. RedTiger - 1. Gianni Rivera 2. Stielike 3. Bossis 4. J.Greaves 5. Donadoni 6. Lucio 7. Boban
4. Sjor Bepo & Invictus - 1. Gérson 2. Förster 3. Riva 4. Kaltz 5. Wright 6. Orsi
5. Tuppet - 1. Florian Albert 2. Thomas Muller 3. Blanchflower 4. Josef Bican 5. Roberto perfumo 6. Bonhof
6. Aldo Staine - 1. Teófilo Cubillas 2. Mario Kempes 3. Pietro Vierchowod 4. Armando Picchi 5. Elkjær Larsen 6. Amancio
7. Chesterlestreet - 1. Matthias Sindelar 2. Kazimierz Deyna 3. Grzegorz Lato 4. Wilhelmus "Wim" Jansen 5. Roberto Rosato 6. Zito
8. Isotope - 1. Sandro Mazzola 2. Tostao 3. Ciro Ferrara 4. Gianluca Zambrotta 5. Ince 6. Just Fontaine
9. Skizzo & Pat_Mustard - 1. Uwe Seeler 2. B. Conti 3. Ruggeri 4. Lerby 5. Labruna 6. Hanappi
10. harms & Annah - 1. Zizinho 2. Keizer 3. Netto 4. D. Alves 5. Leonidas Da Silva 6. Streltsov
11. green_smiley - 1. Dixie Dean 2. Dobrin 3. Luis Pereira 4. Israël 5. Romeo Benetti 6. Di Bartolomei
12. BBRBB - 1- Nils Liedholm 2. Júnior 3. Alain Giresse 4. Diego Godín 5. Thiago Silva 6. Nándor Hidegkuti
14. mazhar13 & Marty1968 - 1. W. Overath 2. H.G. Schwarzenbeck 3. H. Szymaniak 4. H. Crespo 5. F. Causio 6. M. Tassotti
15. Edgar Allan Pillow- 1. L Brady 2. N Stiles 3. K Dalglish 4. I Rush 5. VR Andrade 6. Danny Blind
16. Enigma_87 - 1. Allan Simonsen 2. Schweinsteiger 3. Stojkovic 4. David Villa 5. Bratseth 6. Willi Schulz

Enigma_87

You know who
Nah, like I said if you have a man dropping in to man that area he leaves, it's really fine. It wasn't the case in the last draft which is where this discussion is being carried on from.
I think he proved at Inter that he can play with handbrake on from what the discussion was really. He was more disciplined there but his peak is no doubt in 01-02 with Leverkusen and national side. He was at his physical peak back then, while he, although more experienced, was pretty much older in his Inter days and as Balu mentioned not so great in his second season.

Sure he played in 3 man back line (or thereabouts) during those days which allowed him to charge forward but doesn't mean he can't play disciplined in a line as proven at Inter.

Would've picked him again if it wasn't for having Schulz IMO tad better in that position while Bratseth stopper, but certainly was high on my list again.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
3. RedTiger - 1. Gianni Rivera 2. Stielike 3. Bossis 4. J.Greaves 5. Donadoni 6. Lucio 7. Boban
4. Sjor Bepo & Invictus - 1. Gérson 2. Förster 3. Riva 4. Kaltz 5. Wright 6. Orsi 7. Hassler

@Tuppet

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I told you it was moving slowly - I sensed that it gradually became slower and slower. :mad:

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
@Aldo I did a half-arsed search the other day for some more Mitropa documentation, but with little success. I'll try to dig a bit deeper. There could be some more detailed info about those matches available in material dedicated to Sindelar, individually, rather than to the Cup as such.

Part of the problem with Sindelar is that some of the best pieces written about him tend to focus on the myth, to put it like that - his bohemian lifestyle, his relationship with the Nazi authorities, and his death (not least). Which is interesting, of course, but sometimes what you want is dry facts and figures - to complement the poetry.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Part of the problem with Sindelar is that some of the best pieces written about him tend to focus on the myth, to put it like that - his bohemian lifestyle, his relationship with the Nazi authorities, and his death (not least). Which is interesting, of course, but sometimes what you want is dry facts and figures - to complement the poetry.
I know the problem. It's true for most of the pre-WWII legends in my opinion.