All Time Reserves Draft | Quarters

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Great pick @Chesterlestreet I had him for one of my next 2 pick's. Fantastic choice.
Was hoping to pick him in the next round. Just couldn't wait on Streltsov anymore. Class pick!
Cheers, gents.

Was between him and, well, someone else - which again is a question of how cautiously/defensively sound I want to set up.

Zito comes with several upsides, though, one of them being that I don't have to replace him at any stage if I progress and continue fielding a more or less pure DM. Well, in my opinion, at least - he's final worthy, as they say.

Tuppet

1. Stobzilla & KM - 1. Enzo Francescoli 2. Fritz Walter 3. Juan Joya 4. Roger Marche 5. Nestor Goncalves
2. Downcast - 1. Luis Suarez 2. Rensenbrink 3. Osvaldo Ardiles 4. Gerrard 5. Vieri
3. RedTiger - 1. Gianni Rivera 2. Stielike 3. Bossis 4. J.Greaves 5. Donadoni
4. Sjor Bepo & Invictus - 1. Gérson 2. Förster 3. Riva 4. Kaltz 5. Billy Wright
5. Tuppet - 1. Florian Albert 2. Thomas Muller 3. Blanchflower 4. Josef Bican 5. Roberto perfumo 6. Bonhof
6. Aldo Staine - 1. Teófilo Cubillas 2. Mario Kempes 3. Pietro Vierchowod 4. Armando Picchi 5. Elkjær Larsen 6. Amancio
7. Chesterlestreet - 1. Matthias Sindelar 2. Kazimierz Deyna 3. Grzegorz Lato 4. Wilhelmus "Wim" Jansen 5. Roberto Rosato 6. Zito
8. Isotope - 1. Sandro Mazzola 2. Tostao 3. Ciro Ferrara 4. Gianluca Zambrotta 5. Ince 6. Just Fontaine
9. Skizzo & Pat_Mustard - 1. Uwe Seeler 2. B. Conti 3. Ruggeri 4. Lerby 5. Labruna 6. Hanappi
10. harms & Annah - 1. Zizinho 2. Keizer 3. Netto 4. D. Alves 5. Leonidas Da Silva 6. Streltsov
11. green_smiley - 1. Dixie Dean 2. Dobrin 3. Luis Pereira 4. Israël 5. Romeo Benetti 6. Di Bartolomei
12. BBRBB - 1- Nils Liedholm 2. Júnior 3. Alain Giresse 4. Diego Godín 5. Thiago Silva 6. Nándor Hidegkuti
13. Physiocrat - 1. Kaka 2. Zagallo 3. Modric 4. Cerezo 5. Evra 6. Taylor
14. mazhar13 & Marty1968 - 1. W. Overath 2. H.G. Schwarzenbeck 3. H. Szymaniak 4. H. Crespo 5. F. Causio 6. M. Tassotti
15. Edgar Allan Pillow- 1. L Brady 2. N Stiles 3. K Dalglish 4. I Rush 5. VR Andrade 6. Danny Blind
16. Enigma_87 - 1. Allan Simonsen 2. Schweinsteiger 3. Stojkovic 4. David Villa 5. Bratseth 6. Willi Schulz

@Šjor Bepo @Invictus

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.

1. Stobzilla & KM - 1. Enzo Francescoli 2. Fritz Walter 3. Juan Joya 4. Roger Marche 5. Nestor Goncalves
2. Downcast - 1. Luis Suarez 2. Rensenbrink 3. Osvaldo Ardiles 4. Gerrard 5. Vieri
3. RedTiger - 1. Gianni Rivera 2. Stielike 3. Bossis 4. J.Greaves 5. Donadoni
4. Sjor Bepo & Invictus - 1. Gérson 2. Förster 3. Riva 4. Kaltz 5. Wright 6. Orsi
5. Tuppet - 1. Florian Albert 2. Thomas Muller 3. Blanchflower 4. Josef Bican 5. Roberto perfumo 6. Bonhof
6. Aldo Staine - 1. Teófilo Cubillas 2. Mario Kempes 3. Pietro Vierchowod 4. Armando Picchi 5. Elkjær Larsen 6. Amancio
7. Chesterlestreet - 1. Matthias Sindelar 2. Kazimierz Deyna 3. Grzegorz Lato 4. Wilhelmus "Wim" Jansen 5. Roberto Rosato 6. Zito
8. Isotope - 1. Sandro Mazzola 2. Tostao 3. Ciro Ferrara 4. Gianluca Zambrotta 5. Ince 6. Just Fontaine
9. Skizzo & Pat_Mustard - 1. Uwe Seeler 2. B. Conti 3. Ruggeri 4. Lerby 5. Labruna 6. Hanappi
10. harms & Annah - 1. Zizinho 2. Keizer 3. Netto 4. D. Alves 5. Leonidas Da Silva 6. Streltsov
11. green_smiley - 1. Dixie Dean 2. Dobrin 3. Luis Pereira 4. Israël 5. Romeo Benetti 6. Di Bartolomei
12. BBRBB - 1- Nils Liedholm 2. Júnior 3. Alain Giresse 4. Diego Godín 5. Thiago Silva 6. Nándor Hidegkuti
14. mazhar13 & Marty1968 - 1. W. Overath 2. H.G. Schwarzenbeck 3. H. Szymaniak 4. H. Crespo 5. F. Causio 6. M. Tassotti
15. Edgar Allan Pillow- 1. L Brady 2. N Stiles 3. K Dalglish 4. I Rush 5. VR Andrade 6. Danny Blind
16. Enigma_87 - 1. Allan Simonsen 2. Schweinsteiger 3. Stojkovic 4. David Villa 5. Bratseth 6. Willi Schulz

@RedTiger

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Player Profiles
[to be updated]

Matthias Sindelar
Winner of the CEIC (national team)
Twice winner of the CEC (club)

One domestic league title, five domestic cups
43 caps (Austria), 26 goals

The star of Hugo Meisl's great Austrian Wunderteam, the myth-soaked Paper Man is widely considered to be one of the greatest players in the prewar era. Sindelar was a first rate technician who combined trickery and vision to transcend the traditional centre forward role: His habit of dropping down to involve himself in the buildup makes him a precursor to a whole series of so-called false nines, from Hidegkuti to Messi.

Sindelar represented Austria in the 1934 World Cup, which saw the Wunderteam eliminated in the semifinal by hosts and eventual champions Italy, after an ugly and controversial match. In poor conditions that hampered the Austrians' passing game, another prewar legend, Luis Monti, did a brutal marking job on Sindelar – who was, for all intents and purposes, hacked to pieces. The match ended 1-0 and afterwards the international reporters had plenty to say about the referee.

Kazimierz Deyna
Olympic Champion (1972)
Two domestic league titles
97 caps (Poland), 41 goals

Grzegorz Lato
Olympic Champion (1972)
Two domestic league titles
100 caps (Poland), 45 goals

Wim Jansen
European Cup winner
UEFA Cup winner

5 domestic league titles, one domestic cup
65 caps (Netherlands), 1 goal

Roberto Rosato
European Champion (national team)
European Cup winner
Winner of the Intercontinental Cup
Twice winner of the the UEFA Cup Winner's Cup

One domestic league title, three domestic cups
37 caps (Italy)

Zito
Twice World Champion (national team)
Twice winner of the Copa Libertadores
Twice winner of the Intercontinental Cup
13 domestic (state) league titles, 5 domestic cups *
52 caps (Brazil), 3 goals

* Brazilian domestic titles are in many cases non-comparable to direct European counterparts. There was no nation-wide league prior to the early 1970s, but local/state championships/leagues (like the Paulista) were highly competitive and prestigious competitions.

Jimmy Armfield
Nominally World Champion (national team) *
43 caps (England)

* A fairly meaningless title, since Armfield was injured before the actual WC tournament in 1966 and played no matches. He was still, formally, a squad member - and received his gold medal along with the others who were awarded medals decades after the fact (originally, only the 11 players who featured in the final were given medals, as was the practice at the time).

Generally considered the best right back in the history of English football, Armfield is a prime example of a kind of player who has become entirely unthinkable in today's game: He never won a major trophy in the course of his long career (see above), remaining faithful to a Blackpool side that were never better than also-rans. The side were famous, though, in their day – not least for a right flank that wouldn't look out of place in any context: Armfield specialized in combining with Stanley Matthews – and continued to operate as a master of the overlap also after Matthews left the club to rejoin Stoke City. His finest run is generally considered as being the years either side of the 1962 World Cup, where Armfield was voted best right back and made his name on the international scene – only to further enhance his reputation by being voted best right back in Europe on several occasions.

Bobby Lennox
European Cup winner
11 domestic league titles, 8 domestic cups *
10 caps (Scotland), 3 goals

* Scottish FA Cup (he also won the Scottish League Cup on five occasions).

Cesare Maldini

European Cup winner
4 domestic league titles
14 caps (Italy)

Dino Zoff

World Champion
European Champion
UEFA Cup winner
6 domestic league titles, 2 domestic cups
112 caps (Italy)

Ricardo Pavoni
Five times winner of the Copa Libertadores
Intercontinental Cup winner
3 domestic league titles
13 caps (Uruguay), 2 goals

Giacomo Bulgarelli

European Champion
Winner of the CEC (Mitropa Cup)
1 domestic league title, 2 domestic cups
29 caps (Italy), 7 goals

Patrice Evra
Champions League winner
7 domestic league titles, 1 domestic cups
68 caps (France)

Juan Joya
Twice winner of the Copa Libertadores
Twice winner of the Intercontinental Cup
8 domestic league titles
9 caps (Peru), 3 goals
1 cap (Uruguay)

Last edited:

Annahnomoss

Cheers, gents.

Was between him and, well, someone else - which again is a question of how cautiously/defensively sound I want to set up.

Zito comes with several upsides, though, one of them being that I don't have to replace him at any stage if I progress and continue fielding a more or less pure DM. Well, in my opinion, at least - he's final worthy, as they say.
No doubt about that. Great pick and he will last you all the way in to a final.

Moby

Dick
Matthias Sindelar
Winner of the CEIC (national team)
Twice winner of the CEC (club)

One domestic league title, five domestic cups
I hope some details can be found about his performances at the Mitropa Cup, with the opposition teams, etc.
I can only find the list of top scorers and he top scored in the cup once in 1933 with 5 goals. Sarosi scored 9 in 1935 and 12 in 1937, Meazza scored 7 in 1930 and 10 in 1936. But these are only the top scorer stats.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football

3. RedTiger - 1. Gianni Rivera 2. Stielike 3. Bossis 4. J.Greaves 5. Donadoni 6. Lucio
4. Sjor Bepo & Invictus - 1. Gérson 2. Förster 3. Riva 4. Kaltz 5. Wright 6. Orsi

@Downcast

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG

Honours

• Ajax
    • Eredivisie: (2) 1971–72, 1972–73
    • European Cup: (2) 1971-72, 1972–73
    • European Super Cup: (2) 1972, 1973
    • Intercontinental Cup: 1972
  • Bastia
    • UEFA Cup:
      • Runner-up: 1978
  • Saint-Etienne
    • French League Championship: 1980-81
  • Netherlands
    • FIFA World Cup:
      • Runner-up: (2) 1974, 1978
    • UEFA European Championship:
      • Third Place: 1976
  • Individual
    • French Division 1 Foreign Player of the Year:
      • 1977-78[1]

Last edited:

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
2. Downcast - 1. Luis Suarez 2. Rensenbrink 3. Osvaldo Ardiles 4. Gerrard 5. Vieri 6. Rep
3. RedTiger - 1. Gianni Rivera 2. Stielike 3. Bossis 4. J.Greaves 5. Donadoni 6. Lucio

@Stobzilla
@KM

Moby

Dick
His peak was at Leverkusen.
Really? I didn't follow him at Leverkusen as much as when he was at Inter, though it'll hard to beat his performances during that CL winning season in my opinion. It was only then when I basically regarded him as a top CB, never before that.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv

Larbi Ben M'barek

Branko Stankovic

1. Stobzilla & KM - 1. Enzo Francescoli 2. Fritz Walter 3. Juan Joya 4. Roger Marche 5. Nestor Goncalves 6. Larbi Ben M'barek 7. Branko Stankovic
2. Downcast - 1. Luis Suarez 2. Rensenbrink 3. Osvaldo Ardiles 4. Gerrard 5. Vieri 6. Rep

@Downcast

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Really? I didn't follow him at Leverkusen as much as when he was at Inter, though it'll hard to beat his performances during that CL winning season in my opinion. It was only then when I basically regarded him as a top CB, never before that.
He was absolutely stunning in his young years in Leverkusen's tactics. Not only brilliant defensively, but really often dribbling through midfield while 'someone, who is yet unpicked' dropped back in the defense. He was such a crucial piece in that side, that arguably deserved to win the CL and was unlucky to lose to Zidane's wondergoal (Lucio scored the equaliser before that). He was far more influential than in any other team he played in. Not sure what's RedTiger's and Joga's exact plan is for their team, but with Stielike in the team, his Leverkusen incarnation is the one you want in my opinion.

He was excellent at Inter, but in my opinion not really any different to his peak at Bayern under Hitzfeld when he often enough showed similarly disciplined performances, certainly in the year when we set a new defensive record in the league. Inter was just an overall better team and gave him a better plattform to shine than he ever got in his 5 years at Bayern.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Yeah I'd agree with that @Balu. He was a swashbuckling action man at Leverkusen and influenced the game in different areas of park. At Inter he became more constrained under Mourinho and probably made fewer mistakes as a result.

sajeev

I quite liked Lucio during the Leverkusen days. The 2001-02 team was quite good and unlucky (Had loads of runners-up, what with losing the WC final too)

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Larbi Ben M'barek, wonderful pick.

Pelé about Larbi: "If I am the King of Football, then Larbi Ben Barek is the God of it".

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Yeah I'd agree with that @Balu. He was a swashbuckling action man at Leverkusen and influenced the game in different areas of park. At Inter he became more constrained under Mourinho and probably made fewer mistakes as a result.
Moreover, at Inter he was also more older

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I quite liked Lucio during the Leverkusen days. The 2001-02 team was quite good and unlucky (Had loads of runners-up, what with losing the WC final too)
Even the final itself Real were fortunate Casillas came on and pulled off a number of wonder saves in the dying minutes.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Why I rated him. I care less about foraging runs if they come at the cost of an error. Of course that unnamed guy did a great job dropping back and in a setup like that it's cool.
He had spells at Bayern, when he was rather undisciplined and caused problems with his runs forward, because they didn't fit in with the tactics and exposed the defense. But if you cherrypick his first season at Inter and ignore his awful 2nd, then you can also cherrypick the seasons in the Bundesliga where he was brilliant without making mistakes in well drilled tactical sides.

Moby

Dick
He had spells at Bayern, when he was rather undisciplined and caused problems with his runs forward, because they didn't fit in with the tactics and exposed the defense. But if you cherrypick his first season at Inter and ignore his awful 2nd, then you can also cherrypick the seasons in the Bundesliga where he was brilliant without making mistakes in well drilled tactical sides.
Nah, like I said if you have a man dropping in to man that area he leaves, it's really fine. It wasn't the case in the last draft which is where this discussion is being carried on from.