All-time Fantasy Draft Final - antohan v Cutch

Who will win based on players in their prime, team tactics, balance & bench strength?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I've gone for Cutch. A couple of reasons:

• More natural width where it matters to get the best out of the attacking unit.
  • More likely to get joy on the counter.

It's similar to the semi-final where TITO had greater individuals, but Anto's more cohesive gameplan swung it. In this case I think Cutch's weakest link is less likely to be exposed while Anto's weakest links (Henry and Stoichkov) aren't pure wide players in their own era never mind on this stage and will constrict space for Pele and Maradona to exploit.

I don't get why the discussion is almost solely about wide play. I haven't read a single word about how you get the best out of van Basten. He's my favorite forward of all time and he should be your main attacking threat. Yet, he's not mentioned at all. Ronaldo has never played alongside someone like him, he's been a prolific goal scorer when the central striker was hard working, drawing defenders out of position, opening up space for him. Rooney and Tevez at United, Benzema at Real are different types of forward compared to van Basten.

In my opinion, it's wrong that you think Ronaldo is more important in this game than di Stefano and van Basten and I can't see you winning the game very often because Ronaldo scores on the counter. It's sad really, Ronaldo is nowhere near those players.

The flanks are where the greatest potential for mismatches are - hence all the discussion about those areas and much less about Pele, Maradona, Van Basten and Di Stefano.

Such nonsense Anto. Baresi is playing on the side of the defence he's always played on and covering the fullback that's doing the most attacking. The right footed Charles is playing on his comfortable side. That's obvious surely. I'm playing to my strengths here, not moving players to other sides like you're doing with Stoitchkov.

I know that's why you positioned them that way to begin with, of course and I would have as well. I did say there's little to read in the fact they would probably be more adept at the jobs at hand on either side. That would just be an unfortunate coincidence and CB pairs don't usually get swapped relative to the strengths of the opposition.

It is a problem though that Charles is usually not involved in the aerial battle when crosses come in. That IS a significant problem because Pelé will beat Baresi constantly for aerial balls. Ronaldo's header the other day was being compared with Pelé's best ones, that's how bloody awesome the man was in the air.

Youve mentioned this throughout but why on earth is it assumed Eyzaguirre is the only player being doubled up on, are my fullbacks not allowed to any attacking? You think Stoitchkov and Thierry Henry are going to be tracking back all game? Yes, you have the Rijkaard contingency plan but I have Hierro doing exactly the same job.

I'll be exposing your 2 fullbacks far more than you will mine in this game. You'd be a fool to think otherwise

Santos is being tracked by Stoichkov and yes, I expect him to do it all game, he knows he is there because he was the only one that could be expected to do that. So that's 2v2.

Best doesn't track back but Andrade has been asked not to attack, so no 2v1 on Santos there. Of course, bear in mind when I say these things I'm looking at what things look like by design, Maradona could show up out left at some point during a phase of play, but that's not what he has been asked to do so by design it makes little sense to see that flank as anything other than 1v1.

Henry will do as much tracking back as Ronaldo, that is, none. I have assumed all along that you would not be crazy enough to send Eyzaguirre upfield but feel free to do it. If Hierro is meant to cover, he will have to be stuck to Henry to have any hope of catching up with him, that makes Hierro far less involved and more ineffectual in your buildup play.

I usually assume my rival is doing what is in his best interest unless otherwise stated but by all means, go use Eyzaguirre down the flank and shackle Hierro down the middle, I would love that, one is evidently a much more dangerous player.

See, that Chile-Italy game where he was constantly exposed (I have the "project" saved, maybe I can finish it later for you but it looked rather pointlessly repetitive) over the ENTIRE game he managed one cross into the box. One. Playing 11 vs. 9. His attacking contribution is not worth the liability at the back. Yes, he can pass a ball around in midfield, but Hierro is much better at that than him.

The 2 v 1 won't materialise but, at least it rarely should. Facchetti isn't going to get to put crosses in all game, and you're really overstating any advantage you think you have down that side. What is much more dangerous is how many times Best/Ronaldo will take your fullback out of the game and attack your penalty box. That i would expect to see more often than the 2v1 you're banking on.

I watched the Brazil v Chile game and can't for the life of me see how you're blaming Eyzaguirre for all four goals. For the second his positioning at the corner could perhaps have been better if we're nit picking but none of the goals from what i could see had anything to do with him.

Its turned into solely about wide play because we've significantly differing views over who's getting the better of those exchanges. I am convinced that is where this game is won or lost for me when you compare what i've got to Anto's two. I could go on and on about Van Basten but then Anto could go on and on about Pele. We'd be going round and round in circles.
You were going round and round in circles about the wing play as well and I could post you several articles criticising Ronaldo for not tracking back and his teams conceding because of that. It probably happened more often in big games than Ronaldo scoring because the full back went forward and didn't get back in time.

Just one to prove my point:

The situation was mildly concerning for Real in the first half, but became an all-out problem area in the second. Ronaldo’s gameplan, as always, is to stay high up the pitch and look for quick attacks – indeed, his goal came precisely because of his aggressive positioning, and for as long as he continues to record outstanding goalscoring figures, his defensive performance won’t be questioned.

However, this was much like Portugal’s second half problems against Denmark in Euro 2012, when Ronaldo constantly let Lars Jacbobsen past him, the right-back had all the time he liked to cross the ball, and Denmark got back from 2-0 down to 2-2 following two right-wing crosses (although they eventually lost 3-2). Considering that Real’s left-back, Essien, isn’t even a natural left-back, it was surprising that Mourinho allowed this situation to develop.

Even before the winning goal, Lukas Piszczek had already created two fine chances at the start of the second half. First he pulled back to Gotze, who hit a tame shot at Iker Casillas, then cut back an identical to the edge of the area for Bender, who fired over. There was, quite obviously, serious danger in that area of the pitch for Real.

You can pick the bones out of the goal in various ways – should Casillas claimed the ball? Should Rafael Varane made it his? Positionally, however, it’s notable that both Alonso and Modric have been dragged all the way over towards the left of the pitch to help protect Essien – in the end, Gotze dribbles through to the byline and crosses the ball into the dangerzone – with Modric and Alonso out of position, no-one is covering the edge of the box.

http://www.zonalmarking.net/2012/10/24/dortmund-real-tactics/

I can see you winning this game, if you force Ronaldo to track back - he's able to do it for one important game, imo - and let him create for van Basten, who's able to score important goals against anyone in any game. But you don't want to, your tactical approach is to ignore di Stefano's and van Basten's strength and focus on an attacking approach that has huge flaws and didn't win anything important recently.

I can't really tell what's winning you more votes on the Caf, just wanted to explain why I think you won't win the game and that imo it's more likely that you concede because of Ronaldo staying up front than the other way round. And the CL ties against Bayern and Dortmund and a few games with Portugal in 2012 showed that even against weaker teams (compared to Anto's all times greats of course) it isn't a great way to attack.

The narrow system you're playing will obviously mean my 2 fullbacks tucked in more than usual.

I said above I always assume you are doing what is best for you unless otherwise stated.

You keep rinsing and repeating this reference to me being narrow. Facchetti and Henry on the left is nothing but narrow.

Santos is tucked in, very much so.

Your formation is too reliant on Fachetti and your clinging your hope on Henry, the worst of the 4 wide attackers exposing the worst of the four fullbacks. I've even got Hierro aswell on that side, to help out aswell.

Inter relied heavily on Facchetti, it served them very well if you ask me.

Henry is not worse than Ronaldo by as significant a margin as Eyzaguirre is worse than the others, he shouldn't have even been drafted at this level.

Yes, Hierro can help and will constantly be dragged wide to help, which I'm very happy with, more space for Diego :drool:

The point is invariably one of Hierro or Charles is dragged wide and in both cases there is an important silver lining for my side: Maradona in more space or Pelé attacking crosses with only Baresi challenging him. Brilliant.

PS: Before it leads to another pointless post. I'm assuming Hierro is the preferred support option but he won't always be making it down from midfield in time.

I know that's why you positioned them that way to begin with, of course and I would have as well. I did say there's little to read in the fact they would probably be more adept at the jobs at hand on either side. That would just be an unfortunate coincidence and CB pairs don't usually get swapped relative to the strengths of the opposition.

It is a problem though that Charles is usually not involved in the aerial battle when crosses come in. That IS a significant problem because Pelé will beat Baresi constantly for aerial balls. Ronaldo's header the other day was being compared with Pelé's best ones, that's how bloody awesome the man was in the air.

If i had put Baresi and Charles on their wrong sides you would have been the first to criticise, i have no doubt. Baresi is covering the more attack minded fullback which makes total sense.

Of course Charles is going to be involved in the aerial battle and dealing with Pele. Hierro and Eyzaguirre are dealing with the wide threat and there is no reason for Charles to be drawn out there.

You were going round and round in circles about the wing play as well and I could post you several articles criticising Ronaldo for not tracking back and his teams conceding because of that. It probably happened more often in big games than Ronaldo scoring because the full back went forward and didn't get back in time.

Just one to prove my point:

http://www.zonalmarking.net/2012/10/24/dortmund-real-tactics/

I can see you winning this game, if you force Ronaldo to track back - he's able to do it for one important game, imo - and let him create for van Basten, who's able to score important goals against anyone in any game. But you don't want to, your tactical approach is to ignore di Stefano's and van Basten's strength and focus on an attacking approach that has huge flaws and didn't win anything important recently.

I can't really tell what's winning you more votes on the Caf, just wanted to explain why I think you won't win the game and that imo it's more likely that you concede because of Ronaldo staying up front than the other way round. And the CL ties against Bayern and Dortmund and a few games with Portugal in 2012 showed that even against weaker teams (compared to Anto's all times greats of course) it isn't a great way to attack.

Ronaldo will more than likely not track much but he hasn't been encouraged to not track back at all. When he played on the right for United he often came back, started runs from deep and carried the ball 3/4 the length of the pitch.

He's not a diligent defender, of course he's not, but we can't assume that Facchetti will have a completely free run for the entire game (even before we factor in hierro's involvement).

George Best attacking a fullback that played when the game was a snails pace in the 30s

Yeah, he was so shit France Football consider him the 10th Best Player in World Cup History based on performances at WCs between 1930 and 1990.

These are the same people who have been dishing out Ballon d'Ors since 1956, the same award all amnagers in this draft keep highlighting in some cases even if their player was runner-up on it one year. This is 10th Best Ever at World Cups not the best of the bunch in one season. A defender, 10th best. It's quite a feat, eh?

I had made a longer clip but it keeps getting blocked by FIFA copyright but somehow this section seems to have gone through, at least for now:

This is with the game at 2-1 to Argentina and the man he has come across to intercept was the top scorer at that World Cup.

Right guys, time to hold up the white flag.

Anto is the deserved winner here. The acquisition of Pele and Maradona in the last couple of rounds was a disaster for my chances here. He's got an extremely strong spine with very few weaknesses.

Re: Eyzaguirre, fecking nightmare. Couldn't get the fecker out of my side, worse than a rash. Every opponent i faced and none i could nick a right back off (didn't know McGrath played there).

Played a bit on the popular picks (would be silly not to), as i havn't seen as much of a lot of these older players as some of the rest of you.

Been a good learning experience and good fun.

Well played Anto. Deserved winner.

I don't get why the discussion is almost solely about wide play.

It's common. I've opted not to emphasise it as nothing good could come out of that.

My strengths should be clear and were briefly explored yesterday but I certainly didn't want to get into the impossible and tricky area of assessing Duncan Edwards. Let's just say we are all glad he is here and acknowledge he would have been a nailed on undisputed starter.

And Di Stéfano I have nothing but praise for, so I'd better shut up! :lol:

Rijkaard gobs on Hierro...

vov8f6.jpg

The ref doesn't spot it! Rijkaard picks the ball up and searches for Henry who signals for it on the left...

RIJKAARD_200_thumb.jpg

thierry_henry_11906.jpg

He's surely offside! But where's Eyzaguirre?

60fifo.JPG

He's on the goal-line - playing Antohan's entire attack onside. Schoolboy defending from the Chilean.

It's a simple tap-in for Pele.

_1896555_pele300.jpg

He celebrates with his old chum Diego.

article-6461-pele-maradona2.jpg

Cutch, who has lost all his hair from stress during the tournament, looks on in despair.

you're really overstating any advantage you think you have down that side.

Being the manager to have lost to Gary friggin' Kelly I won't make the same mistake twice. I should have spent that entire game banging about how out of his depth he was. I didn't. I lost.

For the second his positioning at the corner could perhaps have been better if we're nit picking but none of the goals from what i could see had anything to do with him.

Conceding the corner, completely unnecessary to intercept a player 30 yards up the pitch or so whacking it out for a corner. As I said, it's that sort of defensive intelligence which he completely seems to lack. The instinctive constant awareness of how to prevent danger and avoid situations that can bring further danger.

vov8f6.jpg

The ref doesn't spot it! Rijkaard picks the ball up and searches for Henry who signals for it on the left...

RIJKAARD_200_thumb.jpg

thierry_henry_11906.jpg

60fifo.JPG

He's on the goal-line - playing Antohan's entire attack onside. Schoolboy defending from the Chilean.

_1896555_pele300.jpg

Cutch, who has lost all his hair from stress during the tournament, looks in despair.

:lol: Brilliant as always Gio

:lol: Brilliant as always Gio

Indeed :lol:

I had put a clip together for the Facchetti and Hierro gaols Balu mentioned but couldn't find the friggin' links :annoyed:

But yeah, that was much much better. I love Eyzaguirre by the post :lol:

It's common. I've opted not to emphasise it as nothing good could come out of that.

My strengths should be clear and were briefly explored yesterday but I certainly didn't want to get into the impossible and tricky area of assessing Duncan Edwards. Let's just say we are all glad he is here and acknowledge he would have been a nailed on undisputed starter.

And Di Stéfano I have nothing but praise for, so I'd better shut up! :lol:

It's crazy, imo. I wouldn't have discussed Ronaldo at all, in Cutch's case. He's an easy target at that level imo, but he's a vote winner whether you talk about him or not, while you could sell di Stefano and van Basten as game winners on the biggest stage. Van Basten made it happen that the Netherlands won a fecking international tournaments by scoring late against germany and hitting that wondergoal in the final and no one posted a video of it.

It's crazy, imo. I wouldn't have discussed Ronaldo at all, in Cutch's case. He's an easy target at that level imo, but he's a vote winner whether you talk about him or not

You tell me. That Ronaldo 55M news yesterday, talk about poor timing...

I was reading through it last night, people saying they had been watching old Ronaldo clips all day, his challenge video... "That's where the 6 unanswered votes came from", I thought so had to get my ass into gear with this Fifo chap and be able to prove what seemed likely.

Unfortunately I had to watch one and a half hours of rubbish football before I came across the Pathe clip putting it all very neatly for me :lol:

It is pure comedy stuff, isn't it?

Thanks again for all the effort you guys put in this draft game. Learned so much, it's crazy what all you guys know about football and how much you love the game.

Indeed :lol:

I had put a clip together for the Facchetti and Hierro gaols Balu mentioned but couldn't find the friggin' links :annoyed:

But yeah, that was much much better. I love Eyzaguirre by the post :lol:

Wasn't me. Skorenzy deserves credit for that great post.

Congrats to Anto!

And commiserations to Cutch who's been one of the strongest throughout the whole tournament.

Well played guys.

Anto is the deserved winner here. The acquisition of Pele and Maradona in the last couple of rounds was a disaster for my chances here. He's got an extremely strong spine with very few weaknesses.

Re: Eyzaguirre, fecking nightmare. Couldn't get the fecker out of my side, worse than a rash. Every opponent i faced and none i could nick a right back off (didn't know McGrath played there).

Played a bit on the popular picks (would be silly not to), as i havn't seen as much of a lot of these older players as some of the rest of you.

Good game mate. You were one of the strongest contenders from the outset in my book.

TITO mentioned something about momentum and it's quite true. I drafted thinking about additions going forward and built a good momentum towards the end, while you didn't as much (e.g. lost Redondo to accommodate Di Stéfano).

I've been there before, losing momentum with the team not improving as much as others, it's quite gutting.

My picking Zanetti as a useful player who would force you to pick Redondo ahead of NM turned out to be quite a blinder, eh? :angel:

It's been great fun and glad to see so many people showing an interest. I certainly have discovered some wonderful fellow posters. That's what it's about after all :devil:

vov8f6.jpg

RIJKAARD_200_thumb.jpg

thierry_henry_11906.jpg

60fifo.JPG

_1896555_pele300.jpg

Cutch, who has lost all his hair from stress during the tournament, looks on in despair.

:lol:

I've no idea where Aldo is, but he should be in here celebrating any time.

An excellent sounding board and committed companion, Aldo was instrumental to our success on the pitch.

Some said it may be "third time lucky" for me as far as fantasy finals go. It wasn't luck, it was having a good Assistant Manager instead of flying solo... and spontaneously combusting at some point.

Good game mate. You were one of the strongest contenders from the outset in my book.

TITO mentioned something about momentum and it's quite true. I drafted thinking about additions going forward and built a good momentum towards the end, while you didn't as much (e.g. lost Redondo to accommodate Di Stéfano).

I've been there before, losing momentum with the team not improving as much as others, it's quite gutting.

My picking Zanetti as a useful player who would force you to pick Redondo ahead of NM turned out to be quite a blinder, eh? :angel:

It's been great fun and glad to see so many people showing an interest. I certainly have discovered some wonderful fellow posters. That's what it's about after all :devil:

I didn't think ahead aswell as you clearly. There was the 2 german keeper debacle which prevented me from getting a right back in til the 13th pick. Shevchenko was also a waste given i had Van Basten centre forward. I took each game one at a time and didn't think i would make it as far.

Many of my first picks didnt actually last the course. Robson, Baggio and Tigana were all upgraded, but i couldn't address the problem area at right back.

I don't regret not having Zanetti because to progress far i would have needed a Di Stefano, Maradona or Messi. Zanetti was only required to get through the first round. Thinking back i wished i got Thuram given the lack of quality right backs or Lahm (with a different sub keeper). I mightn't have got past the first round without Tigana but.

It would take an awful lot to beat a side with Pele, Maradona and Beckenbeuer no matter who i recruited.

I didn't think ahead aswell as you clearly. There was the 2 german keeper debacle which prevented me from getting a right back in til the 13th pick. Shevchenko was also a waste given i had Van Basten centre forward. I took each game one at a time and didn't think i would make it as far.

Many of my first picks didnt actually last the course. Robson, Baggio and Tigana were all upgraded, but i couldn't address the problem area at right back.

I don't regret not having Zanetti because to progress far i would have needed a Di Stefano, Maradona or Messi. Zanetti was only required to get through the first round. Thinking back i wished i got Thuram given the lack of quality right backs or Lahm (with a different sub keeper). I mightn't have got past the first round without Tigana but.

It would take an awful lot to beat a side with Pele, Maradona and Beckenbeuer no matter who i recruited.
I actually think that's cheating. The best forward of all time, the best playmaker of all time and the best defender of all time. I still can't believe Anto was crying about not having a chance at winning ahead of the quarter finals, such a drama queen ;).

Great job, Cutch. You built a terrific side. I might have given you a sympathy vote, if you subbed Maier in for Kahn in the end, he deserved to play a few minutes.

Anyone else think Tigana would've been an excellent right back?

Thanks again for all the effort you guys put in this draft game. Learned so much, it's crazy what all you guys know about football and how much you love the game.

Wasn't me. Skorenzy deserves credit for that great post.

True, I knew it had been someone who was into old European football.

Quality contributions from you both, no doubt.

Hah. Thanks! I actually forgot to post the clips themselves can you believe!

Here's his great "striker's finish" against Real Madrid.

And this one against Liverpool. Move starts at around 2:40. Just watch the run he makes from his own half and then a great finish :drool:

YESSSSSSSSSSS!!!! GET IN! :D

Quality final this, both teams being top quality from start to end. Kudos to Cutch for playing the draft superbly from start to end. Probably only one error when you left Zanetti and picked someone else during reinforcements, which cost you big, but otherwise a great effort from your side, and everyone who played this.

Thoroughly enjoyed the discussions as well and thanks to everyone who contributed to it. A great learning experience as always.

There's a number of rugged midfielders (e.g. Matthaus, Davids) who I felt could do a more competent job at full back than some of the more peripheral choices out wide.

I've no idea where Aldo is, but he should be in here celebrating any time.

An excellent sounding board and committed companion, Aldo was instrumental to our success on the pitch.

Some said it may be "third time lucky" for me as far as fantasy finals go. It wasn't luck, it was having a good Assistant Manager instead of flying solo... and spontaneously combusting at some point.

Thanks for the kind words, mate. It was a great pleasure in discussing everything with you throughout the draft. And most credit goes to you, you took some bold decisions which at first looked like they might not work but in the end everyone saw how well calculated they were. Really enjoyed being a part of your team.

There's a number of rugged midfielders (e.g. Matthaus, Davids) who I felt could do a more competent job at full back than some of the more peripheral choices out wide.

Personally I think it's a bit of a stretch for an all time draft to play a midfielder with no history of playing there at fullback. The furthest i'd go is moving a centrehalf out but i'd still prefer someone who's spent a career in that position, even if it is Fifo Eyzaguirre

I actually think that's cheating. The best forward of all time, the best playmaker of all time and the best defender of all time. I still can't believe Anto was crying about not having a chance at winning ahead of the quarter finals, such a drama queen ;).

Mind games mate, mind games. ;)

Uruguayans are at their best when they are underdogs, favourite tags don't suit us. Just look at the last Olympics!

Get people to underestimate you, become overconfident... then surprise them and knock them cold before they can get into their stride.

Hah. Thanks! I actually forgot to post the clips themselves can you believe!

Here's his great "striker's finish" against Real Madrid.

That's the one I was going to post as the winner. I like the run down the middle better, but after going on about him wide left all game there was some dissonance to deal with there :lol:

Immense player. I hope more have got to appreciate him now.

There's an Italian history show/channel where they do biographies, wars, politics... Imagine those which usually have an intro flashing World Leaders, cannons, soldiers, poverty... then up comes "Giacinto Facchetti - Il Capitano".

It says a lot about Italians of course, but also about Facchetti. You can be damn sure Maldini doesn't and won't ever have a one hour History Channel documentary on him. Great player, but Facchetti was something else entirely.

The most important and influential player in Italian football history, without a shadow of a doubt. He was my first pick for an Italian all along. I raised some eyebrows picking him in the 4th Round but boy has he delivered!

Personally I think it's a bit of a stretch for an all time draft to play a midfielder with no history of playing there at fullback. The furthest i'd go is moving a centrehalf out but i'd still prefer someone who's spent a career in that position, even if it is Fifo Eyzaguirre

As said, picking McGrath would have made my life much much harder despite being best known as a CB. Even with a 2v1 there's just no way I could have banged on about it as much without looking like a raving lunatic. It's McGrath FFS, even if not in his best position. I expected you to win with him.

As the game wore on, I thought you would ship Edwards out there and bring on Tigana in midfield. Looks a car crash I know but Fifo was the bigger car crash.

It's hard to tell with midfielders. One thing that sounds easy on paper is keeping the line and not being the one letting attackers being offside. Certainly an easier thing to do in his playing days than it is now for defenders.

I don't know about him personally but these are some of the things that you need to concern yourself with that isn't in the job of a central midfielder. It takes more positional timing to be excellent.

Well done Cutch. I din't post or even vote much due to a combination of ignorance and not wanting to get bogged down in the more heated arguments but I thoroughly enjoyed following the draft.

If I'd logged on today in time to vote in the final I would have went for Antohan by the narrowest of margins mostly because of Eyzaguirre, so you were possibly only the German keepers mistake away from winning this.

Congratulations to Anto and Aldo too!