Ajax - Man Utd | EL Final Build-up Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
13:58
Parade Plans
Should United win the Europa League, there are no plans for a parade in Manchester.

Full story here.

These were the scenes in 1999 at the treble parade:

united-fb-8.jpg

Manchester United Treble parade 1999 (Photo: Facebook - Manchester United)

I fully expect the game to be absolute torture to watch.

If we win, and I think we will, it'll go right down to the last second. Never do anything the easy way.

13:58
Parade Plans
Should United win the Europa League, there are no plans for a parade in Manchester.

Full story here.

These were the scenes in 1999 at the treble parade:

united-fb-8.jpg

Manchester United Treble parade 1999 (Photo: Facebook - Manchester United)
I'm in there somewhere. Then dashed over to the MEN Arena for the celebrations there.

Did we have one in 2008?? I'm remembering a wet and miserable parade one time but I think it was for the league.

I'm in there somewhere. Then dashed over to the MEN Arena for the celebrations there.

Did we have one in 2008?? I'm remembering a wet and miserable parade one time but I think it was for the league.
That must have been exciting. Shame there's no parade as it is part of the joy of winning things. Great at the final whistle, but then it goes a bit flat. There is no party for the players after, which has disappointed them as well. Get a massive crowd out and show the rest that winning trophies is what it is all about.

I'm expecting a garbage performance to complete a garbage season. The game will be relatively close. We'll either win for lose 1-0 or 2-1.

Winning is a get out of jail free card. Losing, however, means the season has been a complete disaster. A lot is riding on this game, not least about 180m from Adidas.

It's hard not to be a little worried. Ajax have played great football and have a lot of momentum. However, given how much is on the line and that Jose is Jose, I expect our side to be supremely motivated and focused for the game. And I expect us to win and not make an enormous difficulty of it.

I do hope Martial starts ahead of Lingard. This would make me happy
Me too, would like it even more if we could play a diamond 442 to give Martial and Rashford more forward oriented roles. But wwe'll play a 433, with god damn Fellaini and Martial on the wing.

Wasn't it cancelled because of what happened in the city centre after the UEFA Cup final? Thanks Rangers fans!

Been hearing quite a lot of unfounded and misplaced resentment towards United and also very much towards Mourinho in particular over here in the Netherlands. Of course there's plenty of people with a very reasonable perspective on things, probably the majority. But there's so much petty foolishness going around too, and the constant inaccuracies in the discussions across various (media)platforms make me want to bang my head against the wall at times. Really hyped up to see what will happen on Wednesday.

If Pogba plays like he did today, it will give us a huge advantage.

He is critical to putting this team over the top now that ibra is gone.

Be interesting to see if Smalling and Jones will be the pairing in Stockholm.

This is what worries the shit out of me.

Neither can be trusted and every time I watch them together I can't help but expect the inevitable car crash. So hope I'm wrong on Wednesday :rolleyes:

Neither can be trusted and every time I watch them together I can't help but expect the inevitable car crash. So hope I'm wrong on Wednesday :rolleyes:

It'll be 1 of them with Blind. Most likely Jones who has been solid

Been hearing quite a lot of unfounded and misplaced resentment towards United and also very much towards Mourinho in particular over here in the Netherlands. Of course there's plenty of people with a very reasonable perspective on things, probably the majority. But there's so much petty foolishness going around too, and the constant inaccuracies in the discussions across various (media)platforms make me want to bang my head against the wall at times. Really hyped up to see what will happen on Wednesday.
What inaccuracies and resentments?

It'll be Smalling and Blind, just about 100% guarantee.

Can't really slate the Dutch media for inaccuracies in discussions when we have to listen to Sky Sports in the UK talk out of their ass.

It's been a long time since I've been here. Great to see my club in the final against Manchester United. In recent years many people in Holland were convinced a Dutch club in a European final would never happen again, or at least not anytime soon. I always thought that was nonsense, but I didn't think we'd be here at the beginning of the season.

It's been fun reading this thread and all the pre-match expectations. Obviously on paper Ajax is the underdog. But that actually suits these players. It takes the pressure away from us. Without too much pressure against a club with the name of Manchester United is exactly the scenario that suits our young players best. Manchester United is an opponent against which they can really make a name for themselves. And this Manchester United team is not as good as the name suggests. Everyone knows this. That's why I definitely see good chances for Ajax.

In my opinion it all depends on Ajax's form who's gonna win it on Wednesday. If Ajax is close to it's best form then I'm convinced Ajax will win this match. Ajax on a good day is simply a stronger team than this Manchester United team. But will Ajax be on, or close to, it's best? That's the million dollar question. In football anything can happen and finals usually don't bring out the best. Hopefully this time it will bring the best. At least the best of Ajax ;). Mourinho obviously also is a master in making sure the opponent doensn't reach it's best form. But if we do reach our best level I'm fairly certain we'll win it. I sincerely doubt this United team will be able to withstand the pressure and quality of this Ajax team if Ajax does rise to the occasion. On the other hand, if Mourinho does manage to take the sting out of Ajax, of if Ajax players do crumble under the pressure of playing a final or for some other reason just don't play a good match, than Manchester United obviously is very likely to win. Ajax is not the kind of club/team to win (big) matches without playing well. That's why for me it's gonna be crucial which Ajax we're gonna see Wednesday.

I wonder what kind of tactic Mourinho will use. Most of the time he sets his team up defensively, waiting for opportunities on the counterattack. These opportunities will come against Ajax. But on the other hand this tactic might play into Ajax' hands. Ajax loves to be controlling the possession. If Mourinho lets Ajax have the ball there's a much bigger chance that Ajax will feel comfortable during the match. Unless United scores quickly on the counterattack I think Ajax will only get more confident and stronger and the ball and that will eventually lead to chances. Maybe therefor Mourinho will change his tactic and suprise Ajax by playing much more offensively and trying to put pressure on Ajax on Ajax' own half. This could force Ajax to make mistakes and prevent Ajax from feeling comfortable in the game. That's why I wouldn't rule out that Mourinho actually makes that choice, although I would still put my money on Mourinho going for a defensive setup if I had to.

Anyways, two days to go. Although I wish Manchester United all the best, I don't on Wednesday ;).

My prediction: 3-1 Ajax. 1-0 Schöne ('11), 2-0 Klaassen ('34), 2-1 Fellaini ('68), 3-1 Dolberg ('90).

It'll be Smalling and Blind, just about 100% guarantee.
Tbh, really not sure who I'd prefer out of smalling or jones and although blind not a natural cb, has a much cooler head and better decision making than the other pair. The whole central defense situation really doesn't inspire confidence without bailly.

It's been a long time since I've been here. Great to see my club in the final against Manchester United. In recent years many people in Holland were convinced a Dutch club in a European final would never happen again, or at least not anytime soon. I always thought that was nonsense, but I didn't think we'd be here at the beginning of the season.

It's been fun reading this thread and all the pre-match expectations. Obviously on paper Ajax is the underdog. But that actually suits these players. It takes the pressure away from us. Without too much pressure against a club with the name of Manchester United is exactly the scenario that suits our young players best. Manchester United is an opponent against which they can really make a name for themselves. And this Manchester United team is not as good as the name suggests. Everyone knows this. That's why I definitely see good chances for Ajax.

In my opinion it all depends on Ajax's form who's gonna win it on Wednesday. If Ajax is close to it's best form then I'm convinced Ajax will win this match. Ajax on a good day is simply a stronger team than this Manchester United team. But will Ajax be on, or close to, it's best? That's the million dollar question. In football anything can happen and finals usually don't bring out the best. Hopefully this time it will bring the best. At least the best of Ajax ;). Mourinho obviously also is a master in making sure the opponent doensn't reach it's best form. But if we do reach our best level I'm fairly certain we'll win it. I sincerely doubt this United team will be able to withstand the pressure and quality of this Ajax team if Ajax does rise to the occasion. On the other hand, if Mourinho does manage to take the sting out of Ajax, of if Ajax players do crumble under the pressure of playing a final or for some other reason just don't play a good match, than Manchester United obviously is very likely to win. Ajax is not the kind of club/team to win (big) matches without playing well. That's why for me it's gonna be crucial which Ajax we're gonna see Wednesday.

I wonder what kind of tactic Mourinho will use. Most of the time he sets his team up defensively, waiting for opportunities on the counterattack. These opportunities will come against Ajax. But on the other hand this tactic might play into Ajax' hands. Ajax loves to be controlling the possession. If Mourinho lets Ajax have the ball there's a much bigger chance that Ajax will feel comfortable during the match. Unless United scores quickly on the counterattack I think Ajax will only get more confident and stronger and the ball and that will eventually lead to chances. Maybe therefor Mourinho will change his tactic and suprise Ajax by playing much more offensively and trying to put pressure on Ajax on Ajax' own half. This could force Ajax to make mistakes and prevent Ajax from feeling comfortable in the game. That's why I wouldn't rule out that Mourinho actually makes that choice, although I would still put my money on Mourinho going for a defensive setup if I had to.

Anyways, two days to go. Although I wish Manchester United all the best, I don't on Wednesday ;).

My prediction: 3-1 Ajax. 1-0 Schöne ('11), 2-0 Klaassen ('34), 2-1 Fellaini ('68), 3-1 Dolberg ('90).

Absolute shite. Your club plays in a tin pot league, which they didn't even win ffs.

Doubt this will be a fun watch, even if there wasn't so much at stake. May watch it on tape after I know the score.

The only thing you haven't taken into account here is what happens if United have a good day? If United and Ajax are both on top of their game we should still come out on top.

I'm not going to defend Dutch media, but you can't expect respect when Mourinho is making all kinds of excuses and talking about fatique and injuries when he had 10 times more to spend and ran Zlatan into the ground to beat clubs like Hull and Sunderland. Even when they are in the same tournement, United gets a lot more money for the same achievenments as a Dutch club would get, and Dutch clubs have to let players go before they can enjoy their maturity because of that inequality.

In England Mourinho gets away with anything because with his attempts to pressure referees and other clubs he's giving the media a lot to work with, so they are extremely nice with him. But in the Netherlands people have been bored with his bad acting and pathetic attempts at mind games for many years. Now that he's a has been and can't play decent football with the most expensive players in the world anymore he's not even feared anymore. He has never been liked, he plays cynacally defensive and he's a cheat. That's not going to earn the respect from neutrals or the many Dutch who really want Ajax to lose. What did you expect, that people around the world would keep respecting United like in the SAF days just because of the name?

I'm not going to defend Dutch media, but you can't expect respect when Mourinho is making all kinds of excuses and talking about fatique and injuries when he had 10 times more to spend and ran Zlatan into the ground to beat clubs like Hull and Sunderland. Even when they are in the same tournement, United gets a lot more money for the same achievenments as a Dutch club would get, and Dutch clubs have to let players go before they can enjoy their maturity because of that inequality.

In England Mourinho gets away with anything because with his attempts to pressure referees and other clubs he's giving the media a lot to work with, so they are extremely nice with him. But in the Netherlands people have been bored with his bad acting and pathetic attempts at mind games for many years. Now that he's a has been and can't play decent football with the most expensive players in the world anymore he's not even feared anymore. He has never been liked, he plays cynacally defensive and he's a cheat. That's not going to earn the respect from neutrals or the many Dutch who really want Ajax to lose. What did you expect, that people around the world would keep respecting United like in the SAF days just because of the name?

I'm sure Jose gives a feck what Dutch people think of him, considering he's more successful than any manager your country ever produced.

The only thing you haven't taken into account here is what happens if United have a good day? If United and Ajax are both on top of their game we should still come out on top.

You are right. But to be honest how often has Manchester United had a good day in recent weeks, months or even this season? I am not saying I've watched every Manchester United match this season. But I've seen a fair few and I've read enough match reports which suggests Manchester United have been underwhelming for most parts of the season. Reading this forum basicly confirms that. That's why I am not really considering United with a very good day. It could happen, but it's not really likely. United don't need a good day to beat Ajax though. But United do need a good day to beat Ajax when Ajax is on or close to it's best. If Ajax is on it's best United will need to play at a level that they haven't shown much in this season (maybe even in the last few seasons) to win. That's why for me Ajax's form of the day will be crucial.

I'm sure Jose gives a feck what Dutch people think of him, considering he's more successful than any manager your country ever produced.
Besides that's debatable, he should give a feck if he gave a feck about United (which he doesn't of course). It's not Mourinho's style that made United have millions of fans worldwide, and it's also those fans that give Mourinho so much money to spend.

Besides that's debatable, he should give a feck if he gave a feck about United (which he doesn't of course). It's not Mourinho's style that made United have millions of fans worldwide, and it's also those fans that give Mourinho so much money to spend.

How is it debatable? Jose is more successful than any manager your country has ever had but yet you talk of him as he's some back water peasant who doesn't know shit about football.

You are right. But to be honest how often has Manchester United had a good day in recent weeks, months or even this season? I am not saying I've watched every Manchester United match this season. But I've seen a fair few and I've read enough match reports which suggests Manchester United have been underwhelming for most parts of the season. Reading this forum basicly confirms that. That's why I am not really considering United with a very good day. It could happen, but it's not really likely. United don't need a good day to beat Ajax though. But United do need a good day to beat Ajax when Ajax is on or close to it's best. If Ajax is on it's best United will need to play at a level that they haven't shown much in this season (maybe even in the last few seasons) to win. That's why for me Ajax's form of the day will be crucial.

Sorry to say but hearing you talking about Ajax makes me think they're the new Barca.

If United play with the same verve against Chelsea at OT it won't even be a contest. We will thrash Ajax.

How is it debatable? Jose is more successful than any manager your country has ever had but yet you talk of him as he's some back water peasant who doesn't know shit about football.
He's won more trophies. But the Dutch have had some great managers, I've seen lists of greatest managers of all time ever ever ever and Rinus is always in them, Mourinho usually isn't.

He's won more trophies. But the Dutch have had some great managers, I've seen lists of greatest managers of all time ever ever ever and Rinus is always in them, Mourinho usually isn't.

I'm not denying that there haven't been great Dutch managers, but ultimately it's what you win and Jose has won it all. Wherever he has been. No Dutch manager comes close to him in terms of managerial achievements.

I'm not denying that there haven't been great Dutch managers, but ultimately it's what you win and Jose has won it all. Wherever he has been. No Dutch manager comes close to him in terms of managerial achievements.
I agree. But pointing out the grounds on which its debatable. Michels had a vision that changed the game. If you use that metric you have a debate.

Me too, would like it even more if we could play a diamond 442 to give Martial and Rashford more forward oriented roles. But wwe'll play a 433, with god damn Fellaini and Martial on the wing.
Why on earth would you switch tactics for Martial? A diamond with Darmian as fullback is a terrible idea.

I agree. But pointing out the grounds on which its debatable. Michels had a vision that changed the game. If you use that metric you have a debate.

Well I guess you're right. Still it's a bit rich not rating Jose when he'd be technically the greatest manager in Dutch history, if only he was Dutch.

Most likely outcome in my mind is we kill the game from the start so they dont get any momentum, nick a goal then shut up shop and hang on for the last 20 minutes. Typical Mourinho result.

Status
Not open for further replies.