Adrien Rabiot - you're not going to believe this but his Mum is his agent and a circus

How funny the rhetoric changes.

During the Euros this thread was frothing at the mouth to sign him. Now we can’t be further away from that.

Madness.

Funnily enough, I don't want him or any french players because I'm still upset with their performances.

The rhetoric around this guy is so weird. A mercenary who has changed clubs exactly once in his whole professional career. His mom being crazy, because she as an agent has sometimes used the media in a completely normal agent way. A player surrounded by drama, with almost no incidences. Someone only after money, but with earnings not particularly impressive for a player with his reputation. These are numbers from Capology, I know the Juve numbers are correct and the rest looks reasonable. Gross weekly wake in pounds, because United forum:

13/14: 8,080
14/15: 7,272
15/16: 38,461
16/17: 46,379
17/18: 47,834
18/19: 48,318
19/20: 144,955 (Moved to Juventus)
20/21: 144,955
21/22: 144,955
22/23: 144,955
23/24: 144,955

The PSG figures are also correct, he was on 250k per month with his last contract. Far less than for example Krychowiak.

For free I’d definitely take him BUT he’s gonna want massive wages and I don’t think we should be doing that anymore. If he’ll take sub £200k a week then fine. He won’t though

Some baggage? His mum is his agent and is apparently very demanding that her son be paid very very well. He's 29, so this would be the last big contract of his career. Guessing he would want a huge signing on fee and wages. Sorta signing Utd would have made in Woodward era.

He wouldn't come here to be a squad option. He'd want to be a starter.
Well he'd be our best 6 by a big margin, so that last point might not be the biggest problem. But his contract demands last time were outrageous. Quite like him as a player, but agree there's a lot of downside intangibles.

The rhetoric around this guy is so weird. A mercenary who has changed clubs exactly once in his whole professional career. His mom being crazy, because she as an agent has sometimes used the media in a completely normal agent way. A player surrounded by drama, with almost no incidences. Someone only after money, but with earnings not particularly impressive for a player with his reputation. These are numbers from Capology, I know the Juve numbers are correct and the rest looks reasonable. Gross weekly wake in pounds, because United forum:

13/14: 8,080
14/15: 7,272
15/16: 38,461
16/17: 46,379
17/18: 47,834
18/19: 48,318
19/20: 144,955 (Moved to Juventus)
20/21: 144,955
21/22: 144,955
22/23: 144,955
23/24: 144,955
Great post.

We should be all over this. Rabiot and Ugarte would give us our best midfield options for a while.

Rabiot
Ugarte
Bruno
Mainoo
Mount
Case

If we can get rid of Eriksen and Mctominay. We would have the best midfield options we've had for a long time.

We should be all over this. Rabiot and Ugarte would give us our best midfield options for a while.

Rabiot
Ugarte
Bruno
Mainoo
Mount
Case

If we can get rid of Eriksen and Mctominay. We would have the best midfield options we've had for a long time.
We aren't signing Ugarte and Rabiot while keeping Casemiro.

Rabiot
Ugarte
Bruno
Mainoo
Mount
Case

That looks like very good options. But I can see Case moving on. Especially to bring them 2 in.

People say this, but he is rarely in the news except for a month or so during transfer season when his contract is almost up/up.

If seeking a good contract is all that's important, then why would he cause issue once he's got it. At the end of it he'll be 30+ and we likely won't renew, so what's the big issue?
You just have to google a bit to find out that he has been a controversial footballer throughout his career. Seems like a spoiled child whose mom is a pain in the arse.

I'd say Rabiot is more of an 8 than a 6. He can replace Eriksen/Mctominay and give a decent alternative on our quality on the ball to Mainoo.

We could also sell Casemiro. In fact, I'd prefer it but I don't see teams being in for him considering the salary he's on and if it's not a Saudi club we're stuck with him. I think Eriksen/Mctominay would be much easier to move.

If we can sell McTominay and Eriksen then it's possible as Rabiot would be on free. I know it's unlikely but let's see, there's plenty of time in the window.

If we can sell McTominay and Eriksen then it's possible as Rabiot would be on free. I know it's unlikely but let's see, there's plenty of time in the window.

Why would we sell McTominay though. He's better than Rabiot in terms of his production and is just coming off the best year of his career.

Why would we sell McTominay though. He's better than Rabiot in terms of his production and is just coming off the best year of his career.
They're different types of midfielders. Rabiot is much more of a typical midfielder (8), he can help us have more control on games while Mctominay is more of a bomb the box, throw him on when all hell breaks loose and we're chasing a game. Rabiot would instantly be our most technical, calm midfielder more in the Mainoo mould than Mctominay.

I'd say you can compare the type of midfielders we have and are linked with like this.

Mctominay/Mount/Bruno
Rabiot/Eriksen/Mainoo
Casemiro/Ugarte

Mctominay played the majority of his minutes last season as the furthest midfielder forward and when he does play in the 2 pivot he can't impact the game as much as a Mainoo/Rabiot. Rabiot would be more an Eriksen replacement than a Mctominay replacement.

You just have to google a bit to find out that he has been a controversial footballer throughout his career. Seems like a spoiled child whose mom is a pain in the arse.
You are making stuff up. What is controversial about him? He never caused any scenes in a locker room or was lazy.
The fact that his mother is his agent and is looking for the best deal just doesn't seem to fit into some people's world view.
United is singing Mendes‘ clients left and right (Yoro and Ugarde) and no one is complaining about their agent.
And then we have people calling him lazy or physically weak…

@JPRouve @NotThatSoph Good luck to you in our fight to clear his name. :lol:

You are making stuff up. What is controversial about him? He never caused any scenes in a locker room or was lazy.
The fact that his mother is his agent and is looking for the best deal just doesn't seem to fit into some people's world view.
United is singing Mendes‘ clients left and right (Yoro and Ugarde) and no one is complaining about their agent.

People loosely heard some things 10 years ago and built a narrative out of it. The only thing that he has done and deserved to be criticized for was in 2018 where he refused to be on the reserve list for the WC. He apologized but if we are being serious Deschamps picked the likes of Nzonzi, a crocked Tolisso, an injured Mendy and Adil Rami. I would have retired.

Seems like a lot of people think that throwing a strop early in your career is an unforgivable sin. I cannot say he is a signing who is going to transform us but he would certainly add quality and composure to an area of the field where we are sorely lacking both. It is definitely worth checking in to see what his ask is in terms of salary and contract length because if it aligns with the structure we are putting in place he would be a great fit.

He is 29. This could be Varane/Casemiro all over again. I can't see Ineos going for it.

I think we could really do with a player of his ability in the deeper midfield role. I think Rabiot is a better player in possession than Ugarte. I think Juve might have played him further forward but I think for us he would be a good fit for us now in a deeper role. He wouldn't be my first choice right now but if money is tight I think he would bring about more balance to the team imo. On a free transfer he'd be worth taking a chance on.

The one thing that disappointed me with his Euro performance was I never felt that he carried his experience onto the pitch.
Maybe I'm being harsh and maybe I'm still drawn to his early hype, which he has little control over, but I felt like he could offer more. He never really dominates. He seemed quite content with playing within himself. Lacking drive.
Maybe he's a completely different player for the Turin giants.

The one thing that disappointed me with his Euro performance was I never felt that he carried his experience onto the pitch.
Maybe I'm being harsh and maybe I'm still drawn to his early hype, which he has little control over, but I felt like he could offer more. He never really dominates. He seemed quite content with playing within himself. Lacking drive.
Maybe he's a completely different player for the Turin giants.

He wasn't match fit, he was coming back from a month long injury.

after reading all about Rabiot being a trouble-maker for the past decade and his mum is insane or something I'm surprised Deschamps has kept trusting him

after reading all about Rabiot being a trouble-maker for the past decade and his mum is insane or something I'm surprised Deschamps has kept trusting him
He has long hair and his mother is his agent: definitely not tough enough for the physical PL

He doesn't suit our new transfer strategy. He's supposedly an egoistic, arrogant, mamaboy diva. Also he'll demnad a high salary and probably agent fee. Better get a good young CM gem that Vivell auggests.

Source?

He had his chance but his mum chose to fanny around and sabotaged the transfer.

I hope the days of buying players who come attached to a circus/ dickhead agent/ dad/ brother/ mother/ wife/ family member are over.

wtf I am not inventing stuff. There are several stories you can read online just by googling, such as him partying in a night club in 2019 just after they lost the CL game against us, his mom arguing with Mbappe's and Pogba's family members at the world cup, his mom waiting for Laurent Blanc in the parking lot to tell him her opinion about her son being demoted to the reserve team, his mom dropping him from the City academy because she didn't like how they treated him, his mom requesting Toulouse to let her attend every first-team training session, him calling Zlatan a 'son of a b****', etc.
He is a great footballer but he means trouble and especially his mom who seems to be really annoying and thinks her son's more important than his club. We don't want another Pogba-like dramaqueen, do we?

Because under normal circumstances there should be no room for McTominay in our starting XI or as an option coming off the bench. If anything it says more about how shite we were last season, that he was as important. Positionally he's been replaced. He is at his best as an attacking midfielder or a second striker. Zirkzee and Mount should be preferred to him in those roles, should Bruno or Højlund need to be replaced in the starting XI or as options for substitutions. Functionally, they should also have us play better than McTominay could. Mount is simply the better player. Only issue there is, can he stay fit. Obviously McTominay is a different profile than Mount and Zirkzee, but I'd imagine we want to move away from a technically poor player, who is also nothing special out of possession, which again you can't really say of the other two players.

Comparing Rabiot to him is also a bit pointless, since he would be used differently than McTominay was last year. And McTominay definitely shouldn't play for us in a deeper midfield role.

The last thing we want is another overpaid aging arrogant player who has a baggage .

I would rather keep Scott

Bruno
Mount
Ugarte
Kobbie
Eriksen
Case
Scott

He’s not better than Rabiot (and they’re different players), he had a couple of games that skewed an otherwise average season (never scored 5 PL goals in a season previously) and has one year of his contract left… same as AWB.

Never gave less than his all for us but he’s a jack of all trades and not great at any - squad already improving and not at level we need to be, even as a squad player.

(Doesn’t mean I particularly want Rabiot though).

Rabiot is a far better midfielder than Mctominay, let’s not be silly.

I think he’d add the physicality and running power we would need in midfield alongside Mainoo, who has very poor running power.

On a decent wage, I’d take him.

He is 29 years old, hope we stick to the 25 year old that was reported earlier.

Because under normal circumstances there should be no room for McTominay in our starting XI or as an option coming off the bench. If anything it says more about how shite we were last season, that he was as important. Positionally he's been replaced. He is at his best as an attacking midfielder or a second striker. Zirkzee and Mount should be preferred to him in those roles, should Bruno or Højlund need to be replaced in the starting XI or as options for substitutions. Functionally, they should also have us play better than McTominay could. Mount is simply the better player. Only issue there is, can he stay fit. Obviously McTominay is a different profile than Mount and Zirkzee, but I'd imagine we want to move away from a technically poor player, who is also nothing special out of possession, which again you can't really say of the other two players.

Comparing Rabiot to him is also a bit pointless, since he would be used differently than McTominay was last year. And McTominay definitely shouldn't play for us in a deeper midfield role.
Good post Bucky, completely agree.

Seems like a lot of people think that throwing a strop early in your career is an unforgivable sin. I cannot say he is a signing who is going to transform us but he would certainly add quality and composure to an area of the field where we are sorely lacking both. It is definitely worth checking in to see what his ask is in terms of salary and contract length because if it aligns with the structure we are putting in place he would be a great fit.

Yeah I know many in this thread won't agree, however feel INEOS should at least enquire about those two things. There is no harm whatsoever in just asking the question rather than just presuming the demands will be excessive. That Yoro deal says they aren't people for accepting what's being said in the media at face value. They seem to think there's always an opportunity for negotiation.

Last edited:

Because football isnt just about stats is it. If it was bruno would be considered in the same breath as KDB however he isnt and is regarded as a step below.

McTominay general play as a midfielder is tragic. We really can do better and im willing to sacrifice his 10 goals for a midfielder who fits better who will improve the overall team by fitting the system better.

Because hes not better than Rabiot at being a midfield player who can play 8 and 6

wtf I am not inventing stuff. There are several stories you can read online just by googling, such as him partying in a night club in 2019 just after they lost the CL game against us, his mom arguing with Mbappe's and Pogba's family members at the world cup, his mom waiting for Laurent Blanc in the parking lot to tell him her opinion about her son being demoted to the reserve team, his mom dropping him from the City academy because she didn't like how they treated him, his mom requesting Toulouse to let her attend every first-team training session, him calling Zlatan a 'son of a b****', etc.
He is a great footballer but he means trouble and especially his mom who seems to be really annoying and thinks her son's more important than his club. We don't want another Pogba-like dramaqueen, do we?
I feel like everyone conveniently forgets his mum is his agent and people make a much bigger deal out of her antics because it's his mum. Agents do mad shit all the time that just doesn't get reported on. Do you have any recent examples at Juve where she was an issue? Because by all accounts she's been fine there and looking back at the PSG times, they weren't being managed well as a club, so I don't really blame her for clashing with them.

I feel like everyone conveniently forgets his mum is his agent and people make a much bigger deal out of her antics because it's his mum. Agents do mad shit all the time that just doesn't get reported on. Do you have any recent examples at Juve where she was an issue? Because by all accounts she's been fine there and looking back at the PSG times, they weren't being managed well as a club, so I don't really blame her for clashing with them.

When it comes to PSG, people are trying to argue that there is an issue with an agent/family member to make sure that a teenager is well managed when abroad(that was the initial issue that created the mummy's boy narrative), has proper game time for his development and later that he gets paid like players that have similar roles in the team.