Adrien Rabiot - you're not going to believe this but his Mum is his agent and a circus

When it comes to PSG, people are trying to argue that there is an issue with an agent/family member to make sure that a teenager is well managed when abroad(that was the initial issue that created the mummy's boy narrative), has proper game time for his development and later that he gets paid like players that have similar roles in the team.
Raiola would have thrown chairs and moved him several times. Also he ended up having 5 years at Juve with no problems, so much so that they extended him a year at the end of his contract with no problems and leaves on a free with no one complaining.

Why would we sell McTominay though. He's better than Rabiot in terms of his production and is just coming off the best year of his career.
Very debatable.

McTominay scored more goals last season than he ever had previously due to playing in an attacking position, but his all-round game was even worse in that position than it is when he played deeper. His best season of 10 goals and 3 assists is also worse than Rabiot's best of 11 goals and 6 assists in 22/23 (Scott was a bit ahead in terms of g/a per 90, but he was also playing in a more attacking position than Rabiot had been). Over the course of their careers they have an almost identical g+a per 90 (each getting 0.22 per 90).

Ultimately, Rabiot is clearly a much better midfielder than McTominay. If we're serious about wanting to improve as a team then Scott's only use is to throw him on in the final 15 minutes of games when we're chasing a goal, but we really should have better and more dangerous players even in that position.

Why would we sell McTominay though. He's better than Rabiot in terms of his production and is just coming off the best year of his career.
Because we shouldn't be playing McTominay as no 8/10 and we have a dearth of 6/8s in the squad. Mainoo has shown he's actually very effective higher up the pitch, so I would rather set up our midfield that pushes Mainoo forward and fill in the space behind him.

Mainoo - Ugarte - Fernandes

Rabiot - Casemiro/Amrabat - Mount

Mainoo should get more rests in the upcoming season because we all saw what happend to Pedri or Gavi (They have played too much).......Rabiot would be a fine replacement.

I feel like everyone conveniently forgets his mum is his agent and people make a much bigger deal out of her antics because it's his mum. Agents do mad shit all the time that just doesn't get reported on. Do you have any recent examples at Juve where she was an issue? Because by all accounts she's been fine there and looking back at the PSG times, they weren't being managed well as a club, so I don't really blame her for clashing with them.
Maybe you're right, but just given all the history, don't you think that he and his mom will be moaning all the time when we play Mainoo over him? Because for me, Mainoo has priority and I really doubt Rabiot would be happy to be a backup. Regardless of all the agent and off-the pitch things, I just don't think that we will sign him.

Maybe you're right, but just given all the history, don't you think that he and his mom will be moaning all the time when we play Mainoo over him? Because for me, Mainoo has priority and I really doubt Rabiot would be happy to be a backup. Regardless of all the agent and off-the pitch things, I just don't think that we will sign him.

No, because his mother has never done it. It may happen once in an interview in a french paper like it would with every other agent but that's about it.

I would struggle to see how they're fighting for the same position to be honest. He could take McTominay/Casemiro/Amrabaat/Eriksen minutes comfortably. Would allow Collyer to pick up meaningful minutes too. I think if you look at would he improve our starting XI - yes. Can he play multiple roles in the squad - yes. The only question will be on wages to whether or not he'd be a good signing.

An overrated, expensive player with baggage. Please, just... no. This is the third or fourth summer with this.

I would love to see us get Rabiot on free... Ugarte for a fair price. We have Bruno, Mount, Mainoo, and we sort the rest thru the academy... :drool:

I would struggle to see how they're fighting for the same position to be honest. He could take McTominay/Casemiro/Amrabaat/Eriksen minutes comfortably. Would allow Collyer to pick up meaningful minutes too. I think if you look at would he improve our starting XI - yes. Can he play multiple roles in the squad - yes. The only question will be on wages to whether or not he'd be a good signing.
If he's fit I reckon Mainoo will start the majority of the games. As will Bruno. Then one position is left and considering the rumors I think Ugarte or whatever new DM will play behind them. Rabiot is automatically no.4 on the priority list and yes there are always injuries but I just don't think we can offer him a clear starter position which he would want.

If he's fit I reckon Mainoo will start the majority of the games. As will Bruno. Then one position is left and considering the rumors I think Ugarte or whatever new DM will play behind them. Rabiot is automatically no.4 on the priority list and yes there are always injuries but I just don't think we can offer him a clear starter position which he would want.
I'd pick Rabiot in a shootout between him and Ugarte. Ugarte only plays one role, Rabiot can contribute in many different roles. That's before we get into balance of costs though,

Mainoo starting this many game is largely about the lack of quality in the squad as it is about his own. No problem at all in Mainoo not playing every minute of every game at the moment.

They sound keener than us
Would be perfectly happy for them to desperately offer him £200k+ a week just for his mum to kick up a fuss every week about Harvey Elliot getting his minutes. Sounds like the sort of thing we would have done under Woodward.

Would be perfectly happy for them to desperately offer him £200k+ a week just for his mum to kick up a fuss every week about Harvey Elliot getting his minutes. Sounds like the sort of thing we would have done under Woodward.

Like I said earlier we should have conversation

I'd pick Rabiot in a shootout between him and Ugarte. Ugarte only plays one role, Rabiot can contribute in many different roles. That's before we get into balance of costs though,
Valid point about Rabiot being a more versatile CM. However I'd prefer Ugarte as I feel we desperately need someone with energy and urgency in midfield.

Too often we play against teams who have so much more pace and energy and battling qualities in the middle of the pitch. I'm definitely wanting us to add a player like that, and that's much more Ugarte than Rabiot.

They sound keener than us
Maybe but recent history shows we’re quiet on targets and journos don’t know much. Also that we can move fast if needed.

Rabiot on a free and £135k/m on a 2+1 wouldn’t be a bad deal. Good coverage of more than one position and £7m/year cost. Doesn’t work, we can look to move on and hasn’t cost much.

Maybe but recent history shows we’re quiet on targets and journos don’t know much. Also that we can move fast if needed.

Rabiot on a free and £135k/m on a 2+1 wouldn’t be a bad deal. Good coverage of more than one position and £7m/year cost. Doesn’t work, we can look to move on and hasn’t cost much.

Very true,reckon £150k-£160k on that same deal will be the maximum they would do and that's a good thing because have been taken for rides too often

Valid point about Rabiot being a more versatile CM. However I'd prefer Ugarte as I feel we desperately need someone with energy and urgency in midfield.

Too often we play against teams who have so much more pace and energy and battling qualities in the middle of the pitch. I'm definitely wanting us to add a player like that, and that's much more Ugarte than Rabiot.
I do get that, I just think we could probably go down Ashworths database for a much lower price, for an energetic midfielder. I'd be very happy with either!

Because football isnt just about stats is it. If it was bruno would be considered in the same breath as KDB however he isnt and is regarded as a step below.

McTominay general play as a midfielder is tragic. We really can do better and im willing to sacrifice his 10 goals for a midfielder who fits better who will improve the overall team by fitting the system better.
Speak for yourself. KDB is mostly trash for Belgium and only performs in the no pressure environment of the Abu Dhabi superstars whereas Bruno stars for club and country and has pretty much carried United on his back for 4 seasons. KDB is not close to the level of Bruno.

I do get that, I just think we could probably go down Ashworths database for a much lower price, for an energetic midfielder. I'd be very happy with either!
Yeah, true. I'd be just as happy if they found a different midfielder who offers that same type of energy and bite in the middle of the pitch.

I do think we could ideally do with two CM's (if we sell at least one), so would also be happy enough with Rabiot as the second one. But if we're only going for the one, then I'd much prefer a tigerish, ball winning type. Whether that be Ugarte or someone similar.

Yeah, true. I'd be just as happy if they found a different midfielder who offers that same type of energy and bite in the middle of the pitch.

I do think we could ideally do with two CM's (if we sell at least one), so would also be happy enough with Rabiot as the second one. But if we're only going for the one, then I'd much prefer a tigerish, ball winning type. Whether that be Ugarte or someone similar.
That also makes sense and I'm hopeful we can get two midfielders, but if we can get one, I think I'd personally go for the more experience in Rabiot.

I'd take Rabiot on a free, 3 years get rid of McT and Eriksen it's a huge upgrade and pure profit on the books selling an academy player.

It means we can move for Ugarte quite comfortably, 2 in 2 out and maybe the possibility of Rabiot, Ugarte and Deligt.

Rabiot is far more competitive than Eriksen too, which we need direly, we don't want to be bypassed in the midfield.

Reliable?

No, Rabiot.

I'd love to be wrong, but I don't think he's a particular upgrade on what we have, or at least what we could get. It seems like a ship that has sailed-type transfer, in the mould of Sneijder or even Gaitan (if anyone remembers that name!).

This is one where I know he’s a good player but I don’t really want him here. Probably unfairly based on a lot of media bullshit about him but also because I’d prefer younger players with something to prove.

No, Rabiot.

I'd love to be wrong, but I don't think he's a particular upgrade on what we have, or at least what we could get. It seems like a ship that has sailed-type transfer, in the mould of Sneijder or even Gaitan (if anyone remembers that name!).
He is an upgrade.

Wouldn’t mind him on a short term deal. Gives us depth in midfield and is better than McT or Eriksen.

A few articles this week about ineos/Ashworth targeting younger players. So this one would be a bit of a surprise in that respect

I wouldn’t mind if Liverpool sign him