Adrien Rabiot - you're not going to believe this but his Mum is his agent and a circus

Both things can be true at once.

Casemiro has clearly declined in his own right. Nothing anybody else has done will change that.

But the way ETH has us playing both in and out of possession both highlights and exacerbates Casemiro's decline.
The problem is that no one else in our midfield can do the build-up work that Casemiro has been tasked to do. I don't think Ugarte can excel at the build-up role either, unfortunately. The re-build is an ongoing process with or without ETH. Slot's comments on us are pretty generic but currently used by a segment of our fans to chase ETH out. Most of what he said can be applied to City by the way. We beat them the same way.

Or you know, maybe the coach does not tell the DM to pass the ball forward immediately after he gets it. Play to the strengths of the players and also helps us get better control of the game.

Casemiro is no longer the player he once was, but it’s not like he turned into a washed up Henderson overnight. He can still provide us with options if the manager uses his hear to set us up right instead of trying to force a plan which has not worked since last season. Doubt he will do that though, so we will have to wait for him to be sacked before we see improvements.
I don't think he tells him that. Mainoo and even Bruno don't get rid of it as quickly as Casemiro, and neither did Amrabat nor Eriksen. Casemiro is just not great under pressure which is why he does it. He had some periods and games at Madrid where his passing looked as awful as we've seen with United. It's not a surprise for this to be a much more frequent occurrence when he's older and in a tougher league.

I got my fingers burnt with Tosin. I thought that he would provide cheap cover for our CB. Turned out that he would not. His outrageous salary would have upset the wage structure as players would be asking why United's 3rd-4th choice CB is earning more then they do. Rabiot is a similar type of player. On paper he seems the perfect deal and yet no one is touching him. I think what he is asking far exceeds anything that would make sense

I got my fingers burnt with Tosin. I thought that he would provide cheap cover for our CB. Turned out that he would not. His outrageous salary would have upset the wage structure as players would be asking why United's 3rd-4th choice CB is earning more then they do. Rabiot is a similar type of player. On paper he seems the perfect deal and yet no one is touching him. I think what he is asking far exceeds anything that would make sense

Yeah until I see talk from reliable Utd sources he's willing to lower his demands I remain skeptical

Last edited:
The obsession with this guy.
And we have the same ever summer.

It's another Gaitan job

This would be a woodward regime type of signing.

We're trying to get RID of these primadonnas and malcontents. Not add more.

If we can negotiate a reasonable wage (we won't) he'd be a good addition. Our midfield is pathetic, beggars can't be choosers.

I’m not up to speed, but what were Tosins demand/what is he earning at Chelsea?

P

pretty sure Aina was born in Britain and came through Chelsea’s academy, but one of only a few players to pledge to Nigeria.
Would be cool if he counts as homegrown then. Would make him my first choice to replace Shaw. He was solid in every game he played at the African nations cup.

I’m not up to speed, but what were Tosins demand/what is he earning at Chelsea?

Its around 120k which would be around to what Martinez and Yoro (ie the most promising young CB in the world) is earning.

Its around 120k which would be around to what Martinez and Yoro (ie the most promising young CB in the world) is earning.
Yeah, that would’ve caused major discontent in the squad. It’s funny, it seemed like Woodward and his cronies were handing out circa £100k contracts like candy during their reign, so I didn’t even bat an eyelid when you said £120k for a “squad player”….but yeah, the new regime at least seems much more competent and getting us back on the right track in terms of squad building and not just rewarding players for the sake thereof.

Because his mom is greedy.

We all hate super agents but they have a role in football. I remember Mino explaining his role in an interview at the pool with a certain Balotelli. It happened just after the Pogba-Man utd deal. He explained how he spent 50% of his time working on that deal and another 50% of the time, cap in hand while trying to find a club for Balotelli. This season United would have struggled big time if it wasn't for Pimenta (Mazraoui and De Ligt) and Mendes (Yoro and Ugarte) who facilitated the deal.

Players with family members as agents usually lack guidance. I remember Wanda crying her eyes off on live telly because Icardi was stripped of the captain band which was the first major push out of the club. Not only she made Icardi look stupid but it ruined any power he might have had on the negotiation table

Yeah, that would’ve caused major discontent in the squad. It’s funny, it seemed like Woodward and his cronies were handing out circa £100k contracts like candy during their reign, so I didn’t even bat an eyelid when you said £120k for a “squad player”….but yeah, the new regime at least seems much more competent and getting us back on the right track in terms of squad building and not just rewarding players for the sake thereof.

Some might say that he was a free agent but that's not how players would see it. The way they would see it is that United's 4th choice is being paid as much as United's best CB. That would cause unrest

I think we will see Collyer used in the mix along with Eriksen. It is not a midfield group that is going to impress anyone but INEOS were pretty clear that we were not going to fix everything in one window. We clearly prioritized the defence in this window and any panic signing at this point is just as likely to end up being a drag on the wage bill next summer and get in the way of us signing the players we really want.
The problem is winning begets more winning. If we miss out on the UCL again it'll cost us $50M, which could've pay for the additional midfield signing.

I'm not saying Rabiot is the answer, nor that we shouldn't have patience. But if we're currently one midfielder away, we should try to address that. It's not even just injuries; you want to have at least one midfield sub without a huge dropoff. I hope Casemiro is still at that level.

He's gonna derail his career for money as many players are nowadays.
If his money was managed well he's probably on a situation where he could realistically stop playing football at any point. De Gea waited a year to find the right club he wanted to go to. Rabiot is not a GK and a little younger, so 6 months of inactivity may be a little more impacting. He also probably need to play in club to keep being selected in the NT (not necessarily though)... But he could absolutely take a sabbatical and find a contract (not at a top club perhaps).

Honestly that's kind of the life to be in a position where you can say "my way or the highway" and hold up for better conditions / clubs that have your preference.

I don't know if registration close much latter elsewhere but I suppose we'll hear about his whereabouts within the week.

If his money was managed well he's probably on a situation where he could realistically stop playing football at any point. De Gea waited a year to find the right club he wanted to go to. Rabiot is not a GK and a little younger, so 6 months of inactivity may be a little more impacting. He also probably need to play in club to keep being selected in the NT (not necessarily though)... But he could absolutely take a sabbatical and find a contract (not at a top club perhaps).

Honestly that's kind of the life to be in a position where you can say "my way or the highway" and hold up for better conditions / clubs that have your preference.

I don't know if registration close much latter elsewhere but I suppose we'll hear about his whereabouts within the week.
He's not in the position to say "my way or the highway". He's in a highly competitive field that moves quickly, and he wants to play at the top level. He needs to adjust or he will miss out. He's definitely not in control. He still has ambitions to play at the top so being able to retire is irrelevant, if he retires now he'd look a mug and be disappointed with his career I bet.

De Gea also didn't get what he wanted, he had to settle because none of the clubs he wanted would pay him what he wanted or they didn't guarantee him as a long-term starter. Being a footballer is not like working a normal job, they do not have the same power as they're replaceable, they lose value the more they don't play, and their careers are short.

Robiot is good, but he's not so good that teams are desperate for him.

Both things can be true at once.

Casemiro has clearly declined in his own right. Nothing anybody else has done will change that.

But the way ETH has us playing both in and out of possession both highlights and exacerbates Casemiro's decline.
Totally agree. Erik is clearly unable to sort the midfield out and it will be clear when just replacing Casemiro with Ugarte won't fix it. However, saying that Casemiro has not declined and it's all due to Erik's tactics is just factually incorrect

He's not in the position to say "my way or the highway". He's in a highly competitive field that moves quickly, and he wants to play at the top level. He needs to adjust or he will miss out. He's definitely not in control. He still has ambitions to play at the top so being able to retire is irrelevant, if he retires now he'd look a mug and be disappointed with his career I bet.

De Gea also didn't get what he wanted, he had to settle because none of the clubs he wanted would pay him what he wanted or they didn't guarantee him as a long-term starter. Being a footballer is not like working a normal job, they do not have the same power as they're replaceable, they lose value the more they don't play, and their careers are short.

Robiot is good, but he's not so good that teams are desperate for him.
It's not that I think he would but that he could if he really wanted.
I'd be surprised he didn't sign anywhere.

Last edited:
Im surprised he hasn’t moved to Türkiye considering he’s still playing National football. Not having a club definitely hinders his plan to play for France. Surely he would’ve taken the option of a Türkiye club unless he has some negotiations planned with a club in Europe. Deschamps has already commented how it’s hampering his selection with the France team

I think we should offer him a 3 year contract. Our first choice midfield 2 is Mainoo and Ugarte. Beyond that we have Eriksen and casemiro don't seem to be able to cope physically atm. We need Rabiot to provide a safe rotation option in Central midfield.

Is he the perfect solution? No. But he's better than McTominay ever was and if we wanted a perfect solution we should have spent the money in the summer.

Yeah he's an expensive option but we're not broke as a club.

I think we should offer him a 3 year contract. Our first choice midfield 2 is Mainoo and Ugarte. Beyond that we have Eriksen and casemiro don't seem to be able to cope physically atm. We need Rabiot to provide a safe rotation option in Central midfield.

Is he the perfect solution? No. But he's better than McTominay ever was and if we wanted a perfect solution we should have spent the money in the summer.

Yeah he's an expensive option but we're not broke as a club.

No he's definitely not the perfect solution but he would certainly be an upgrade on McTominay

Yeah lets buy Rabiot so when Ten Hag has shown us all he can get Ugarte to play like current Casemiro, then he has a fall back option to do the same again.