Adrien Rabiot - you're not going to believe this but his Mum is his agent and a circus

Don't want this average, overpaid mercenary anywhere near the club.
How is he a mercenary? He's played at 2 clubs his entire senior career and looks to have had a modest salary by modern standards.

He may be looking for big pay this time, but who wouldn't? He's available on a free and this is probably his last chance at a big contract.

Weird how people get these opinions on people when there isn't really much evidence of it.

How is he a mercenary? He's played at 2 clubs his entire senior career and looks to have had a modest salary by modern standards.

He may be looking for big pay this time, but who wouldn't? He's available on a free and this is probably his last chance at a big contract.

Weird how people get these opinions on people when there isn't really much evidence of it.

Constantly pricing himself out because he wants more and more money, if he is holding out on his next club to see which club offers the most money, then by definition, moving to the club for the most money rather than the club best for his career (he is only 29) makes him a mercenary.

Mercenaries can be good footballers too.

Traditional mercenaries were good players. I am referring to the likes of vieri and Heinze who always produced on the pitch while always edging for a move/new contract.

These days we have a new breed of mercenaries ie those who secure a long contract on huge salary and then they barely put any effort in. There's always seem to be an excuse for them whether it's the manager, personal issues etc. Yet am they still take every penny owed to them

Mercenaries can be good footballers if they're being embedded into a successful system with a proven track record. Heck City have essentially built a winning legacy on the back of recruiting mercenaries (no one is joining them for the prestige of playing for Manchester City), and it works because they're a meticulously well run football club, cheating and financial doping aside.

The trouble is when you bring them into a dumpsterfire situation like ours. They aren't going to be the leaders you want in the dressing room and on the pitch, and will happily collect their extortionate wages while doing the absolute minimum.

Traditional mercenaries were good players. I am referring to the likes of vieri and Heinze who always produced on the pitch while always edging for a move/new contract.

These days we have a new breed of mercenaries ie those who secure a long contract on huge salary and then they barely put any effort in. There's always seem to be an excuse for them whether it's the manager, personal issues etc. Yet am they still take every penny owed to them

So, what part of Rabiots career suggests he's done that? He's been a regular at both his previous clubs. I'm not really bothered by what wages a player wants - if I was a player I'd hold out for maximum value too. As long as they deliver on the pitch. Nobody would talk about wages if the likes or Rashford, Casemiro, Sancho etc had all been delivering on the pitch.

Mercenaries can be good footballers if they're being embedded into a successful system with a proven track record. Heck City have essentially built a winning legacy on the back of recruiting mercenaries (no one is joining them for the prestige of playing for Manchester City), and it works because they're a meticulously well run football club, cheating and financial doping aside.

The trouble is when you bring them into a dumpsterfire situation like ours. They aren't going to be the leaders you want in the dressing room and on the pitch, and will happily collect their extortionate wages while doing the absolute minimum.

Yep, nailed it here. Pretty much every footballer is a "mercenary" really. It's a career and they go to the best "company" which means whoever is paying the best wages with the best chance of success and with the best life style. Why so many struggle to see this is incredible. Utd used to get good players because we paid well, won trophies and had Sir Alex. Now it's more difficult because all we can offer is the money and history.

I have absolutely no issue with the above by the way. It's human nature and as long as they put in a shift while at the club they will be loved by the fans, regardless of why they are there.

So, what part of Rabiots career suggests he's done that? He's been a regular at both his previous clubs. I'm not really bothered by what wages a player wants - if I was a player I'd hold out for maximum value too. As long as they deliver on the pitch. Nobody would talk about wages if the likes or Rashford, Casemiro, Sancho etc had all been delivering on the pitch.

I never suggested otherwise. Let's spell it to you. I'd rather have a Rabiot then a Sancho or a Rashford. At least Rabiot delivers on the pitch. When was the last time Rashford and Sancho did the same? However even under such circumstances the financials must be right. We can end up with a Casemiro MK2

I never suggested otherwise. Let's spell it to you. I'd rather have a Rabiot then a Sancho or a Rashford. At least Rabiot delivers on the pitch. When was the last time Rashford and Sancho did the same? However even under such circumstances the financials must be right. We can end up with a Casemiro MK2

So what would you consider right financials?

How do you know? If I remember correctly I read that he had one really bad season at Juve before the last one.

We all hate super agents but they have a role in football. I remember Mino explaining his role in an interview at the pool with a certain Balotelli. It happened just after the Pogba-Man utd deal. He explained how he spent 50% of his time working on that deal and another 50% of the time, cap in hand while trying to find a club for Balotelli. This season United would have struggled big time if it wasn't for Pimenta (Mazraoui and De Ligt) and Mendes (Yoro and Ugarte) who facilitated the deal.

Players with family members as agents usually lack guidance. I remember Wanda crying her eyes off on live telly because Icardi was stripped of the captain band which was the first major push out of the club. Not only she made Icardi look stupid but it ruined any power he might have had on the negotiation table
I agree with this and don't have a problem with players having representation to negotiate their contracts; it'd be stupid not to. The problem I have is that the player should be compensating the agents, not the clubs.

He's not a mercenary just because he's holding out for the best wage. Football careers are short in comparison to a, potentially, full life.
Like a lot of people, I don't like the ridiculous salaries footballers get, but people like Rabiot are only doing what the Junior Doctors have been doing all year, holding out for the most they can get. It's no different, everyone tries to maximise what they can.

There's a lot of assumptions about his motives read in the worst light somehow. He's a free agent, he's looking for the best deal and keeping all options open until the last possible date.

All his "mother is an agent and she's difficult" really tainted the whole well. That narrative came out of his PSG years and since then we know that Nasser al-Khelaïfi created a network of social media influencers he allegedly instructed to denigrate Mbappé on social networks at the height of the drama period. Qatar owned PSG never shone as a particularly good employer in how it treats players out of their grace. I'm not saying there's no truth to Rabiot having a difficult entourage but it is to be taken with a grain of salt.

He privileged short deals at Juventus but then again that's exactly what people want here and everyone bemoans whoever the latest scapegoat is having X years on their deal.

The rumoured 3 years / 40m€ package is not even all that outrageous.

He's not a mercenary just because he's holding out for the best wage. Football careers are short in comparison to a, potentially, full life.
Like a lot of people, I don't like the ridiculous salaries footballers get, but people like Rabiot are only doing what the Junior Doctors have been doing all year, holding out for the most they can get. It's no different, everyone tries to maximise what they can.
One of the worst posts ever written online.
It’s not the same by any measure. Rabiot has already earned multiple millions of pounds for playing a fun game and is being greedy trying to get more than any club in a free market economy has deemed he is worth so far. The other is people doing one of the hardest jobs imaginable for comparatively terrible pay in a system where greedy establishment gets to decide their wage

I agree with this and don't have a problem with players having representation to negotiate their contracts; it'd be stupid not to. The problem I have is that the player should be compensating the agents, not the clubs.
The incidence largely falls on the players, regardless of who "pays".

If a club thinks a player is worth up to £10M a year, but knows the agent is going to want a 30% commission, they'll only offer the player £7M in wages (so that total cost to the club equals £10M). In this way, it's really the players who are bearing the burden of agent fees via reduced wages. If they represented themselves they'd be able to pocket that amount. And indeed, much of the agent fees do end up making it to the player over time (e.g., the Zirkzee agent fee this year was largely a bonus that went to the player bc his release clause was low compared to his market value).

Hmm.

After Cas disastrous performance vs Liverpool which confirmed he is done at the top level, we might need to get Rabiot to bolster the midfield, we've got Mainoo and Ugarte who will most likely will become the starting pair behind Bruno, and having old legs like Cas and Eriksen in the bench is worrying and Collyer is not ready yet to be in the regular rotation, so if Rabiot can be brought in for a 3 year deal on an acceptable wages it might be a good signing.

We all hate super agents but they have a role in football. I remember Mino explaining his role in an interview at the pool with a certain Balotelli. It happened just after the Pogba-Man utd deal. He explained how he spent 50% of his time working on that deal and another 50% of the time, cap in hand while trying to find a club for Balotelli. This season United would have struggled big time if it wasn't for Pimenta (Mazraoui and De Ligt) and Mendes (Yoro and Ugarte) who facilitated the deal.

Players with family members as agents usually lack guidance. I remember Wanda crying her eyes off on live telly because Icardi was stripped of the captain band which was the first major push out of the club. Not only she made Icardi look stupid but it ruined any power he might have had on the negotiation table
I get everything you're saying....but, and it's a big BUT...just because the player is worth X millions and the salary that comes with that - the fee these 'super agents' demand is a joke. No agent is 'worth' a £10m fee for their work. They are basically sales men / negotiators and pay others to do the legal documents etc

It’s not the same by any measure. Rabiot has already earned multiple millions of pounds for playing a fun game and is being greedy trying to get more than any club in a free market economy has deemed he is worth so far. The other is people doing one of the hardest jobs imaginable for comparatively terrible pay in a system where greedy establishment gets to decide their wage
The opening line is a joke.

I don't think there are many posters who will argue what players earn is obscene. But at the same time, I can pretty much guarantee you that pretty much most of the population can stack a shelf in a supermarket and hence don't earn that much (doesn't mean we don't appreciate the job, but it's low skilled) / a few less people can drive a lorry (truck) with skill and they'll earn more / less people can be a doctor and even less play a professional sport at elite level. The higher the skill / demand the job drives salary.

And Rabiot's job is that of an elite sport athlete playing for the WC / Euro champions.

Hmm.

After Cas disastrous performance vs Liverpool which confirmed he is done at the top level, we might need to get Rabiot to bolster the midfield, we've got Mainoo and Ugarte who will most likely will become the starting pair behind Bruno, and having old legs like Cas and Eriksen in the bench is worrying and Collyer is not ready yet to be in the regular rotation, so if Rabiot can be brought in for a 3 year deal on an acceptable wages it might be a good signing.
It's a huge risk. 29 year old changing leagues. Not many 29 year olds come in and have an impact on the PL.

He's a very good player. A good fitness record and plenty of experience. I completely share the reservations of others about wages and a deal, but if Ineos managed a decent salary on a 2+1 deal I don't think we'd regret it. He's also a nice player to watch when on form.

Far worse than anything a neo-Nazi has said online. Far, far worse.

if he comes he starts along with Ugarte which gives us a selection headache.
It’s a nicer headache to have than our current one though!

On reasonable wages and reasonable contract length I’d take him. He’s a good enough player. I would just hate to be stuck in a few years trying to sell someone on high wages again

For what it's worth, he asked for around £7.65m signing on bonus, £350k for his agent, £130k/week, £25k per game played & around £5k for games he doesn't play and he's quite good.

This is from my fm24 save.

This season we're relying on Casemiro, Mainoo and I guess Collyer now. Two of them are still kids, and we've seen what can happen to players that are overworked and overplayed at a young age, and the other is seemingly getting worse the more he plays as his body turns to dust.

We're running our players into the ground as it is. I'm not saying that Rabiot is the answer to that problem but we're stuck in this position unless someone else comes in.

This season we're relying on Casemiro, Mainoo and I guess Collyer now. Two of them are still kids, and we've seen what can happen to players that are overworked and overplayed at a young age, and the other is seemingly getting worse the more he plays as his body turns to dust.

We're running our players into the ground as it is. I'm not saying that Rabiot is the answer to that problem but we're stuck in this position unless someone else comes in.

You wrote off Ugarte already? Damn

:lol: shit, I completely forgot about him. I think we are still a bit light though, unless Ugarte turns out to be superb. I guess time will tell.

Yeah I feel if we got Rabiot then can phase Collyer into the squad a bit more rather than throw him into it