Adrien Rabiot - you're not going to believe this but his Mum is his agent and a circus

It's been widely reported that he turned down a move to Saudi Arabia as he wants to stay in Europe. Admittedly the sources haven't exactly been Tier 1, but I can't find any source say that he wants a move to Saudi.

I do wonder how a 29yo player who has only ever played for two clubs (not counting loans when young) has such a reputation as a mercenary. It's not like he's on huge wages at Juve.
Ask his mum

I think Casemiro will be playing quite often in Mainoo's position. I believe it will be his best position at this age, he just can't be the deepest midfielder covering all that space.
There was a great video posted in the Ugarte thread last few days. Basically if you put Casemiro and Ugarte together in a double pivot, their respective heatmaps, make perfect coverage for the entire pitch.

Is Rabiot's mother any different to Raiola or any of the other aggressive style of agents we hear about regularly? She seems to really irk a lot of people.

Is Rabiot's mother any different to Raiola or any of the other aggressive style of agents we hear about regularly? She seems to really irk a lot of people.
No, she's not. Only that she's a woman and he's his mother. Lot to unpack for some people.

Yep....

"For a third year in succession, United were linked with Adrien Rabiot, but unlike the previous two summers, there was little substance this time."

In hindsight (great thing I know) it looks like his signing a one year deal with Juventus last year might not have been the best decision.

But hey, maybe some team does get desperate after an injury.

Ask his mum
What has his mother actually done that is any worse than what a normal agent does? I believe she was quite overbearing when he was a kid, but has there been anything notable in the last 6-7 years? My understanding is that PSG was utterly screwing him around in his last couple of years at that club and then she hasn't caused any drama at Juve (other than doing what any agent does and trying to get more money).

I wouldn't mind signing Rabiot on a 1+1 contract. Eriksen legs are gone, Casemiro is in decline and Mount can't stay fit.

He probably wants big money. Was hoping a club like us would give it to him. Now the European window is shut he will probably end up in Saudi
Pure greed. Can never understand how footballers aren’t happy with like 100k a week.

I wouldn't mind signing Rabiot on a 1+1 contract. Eriksen legs are gone, Casemiro is in decline and Mount can't stay fit.
Wouldn’t pay him what he probably wants though. Greedy players deserve to stay without a club.

He probably wants big money. Was hoping a club like us would give it to him. Now the European window is shut he will probably end up in Saudi
European clubs can’t register him then even though he’s a free agent?

Apparently he was upset about Lou Macaris criticism on MUTV and United thought he was too mentally soft to handle the club.

No, she's not. Only that she's a woman and he's his mother. Lot to unpack for some people.

This is what it seems like to me, that people only kick up a fuss because it's his mother. You never heard anything about Neymar's father being his agent, or Kane's brother, but Rabiot's mother seems to really annoy people. I just wanted to see if anyone could offer up a legitimate reason as to why she is such a problem besides what I assumed it was.

Wouldn’t pay him what he probably wants though. Greedy players deserve to stay without a club.

I recently listened to Vieri's interview on the matter. You might not know Vieri but he was an RVN like striker who was also one of the first 'modern' players. Vieri would hop from one club to another after 1-2 years so he can rack as much money as possible. That was at the time when football was littered by club servants such as Scholes, Giggs, Totti, Zanetti and Maldini which in turn made him look bad

Vieri used Maldini as an example. There's no bigger servant in football then the Maldinis who served Milan for 3 generations. Yet when Milan wanted a change in management they fired Maldini without giving any thought about it. Vieri refused to say who was right and who was wrong in that particular story but he simply hinted that football is business and sentimentality is basically for idiots. He knew that clubs would spend silly money on him until he's able to score 25-30 goals per season and will just be as keen to get rid off him once he didn't.

Greed can act like a fuel if used correctly. We should give Rabiot a short contract with a top salary (he's a free agent after all) which in turn will act as a huge incentive for him to do well so he can either extend the contract on his terms or he can leave the club with a strong hand.

We're too light in CM to turn such a deal down.

Last edited:
If you don't go for greedy players then you'll end up with no squad really. Greed can act like a fuel really if used correctly. We should give the guy a short contract with a top salary (he's a free agent after all) and that will act as a huge incentive for him to do well so either his contract get renewed on his terms or he can leave the club with a strong hand.

We're too light in CM to turn such a deal down.

Whilst in principle I agree, i think any movement would be contingent on Eriksen leaving which doesn't seem likely at this point. I suppose theoretically the longer Rabiot sits out there without a contract the weaker his hand gets, but injuries etc can change the picture pretty quickly.

It appears United have been very keen to get the finances as straight as possible, I wonder if the Sancho deal is a bonus that gives them a bit of latitude, but I suspect Eriksen would have been the key.

This is what it seems like to me, that people only kick up a fuss because it's his mother. You never heard anything about Neymar's father being his agent, or Kane's brother, but Rabiot's mother seems to really annoy people. I just wanted to see if anyone could offer up a legitimate reason as to why she is such a problem besides what I assumed it was.
It seems she did go overboard when he was young, demanding access to every training session and a few other things. More recently the only thing I've really seen that is an issue is that she supposedly made critical comments about Mbappe and Pogba to their families in the stands while watching games.

I agree with you in general - but Kane's brother has been widely ridiculed to be fair.

Whilst in principle I agree, i think any movement would be contingent on Eriksen leaving which doesn't seem likely at this point. I suppose theoretically the longer Rabiot sits out there without a contract the weaker his hand gets, but injuries etc can change the picture pretty quickly.

It appears United have been very keen to get the finances as straight as possible, I wonder if the Sancho deal is a bonus that gives them a bit of latitude, but I suspect Eriksen would have been the key.

We just got rid of a 250k a week player. I think there's enough cash to bring Rabiot in

We just got rid of a 250k a week player. I think there's enough cash to bring Rabiot in

Well, we got out of half the wages for this year. I would imagine that depends on Rabiot's wage demands, but it looks like INEOS are running a tighter ship and whether they have the funds or not is not the biggest consideration.

As I've said before, I think Rabiot offers something we could use, but only on terms beneficial to us (short contract, reasonable wages).

Well, we got out of half the wages for this year. I would imagine that depends on Rabiot's wage demands, but it looks like INEOS are running a tighter ship and whether they have the funds or not is not the biggest consideration.

As I've said before, I think Rabiot offers something we could use, but only on terms beneficial to us (short contract, reasonable wages).
Reports are saying that Rabiot's mum is asking for 10m euros a year ie around £163k a week. Sancho will cost us 125k less. Surely we can find the rest of the dough especially since we sold some fringe players as well.

Neither Bruno nor Mount can play 8 well, and Lindelof can't play as a DM, could you imagine? Collyer and Gore aren't good enough, but I guess if Lindelof is good enough then you'd accept John from Sunday league.
I said ‘can play’ not ‘should play’ . We have options was my point. They might not be ideal but we have them.

Why is everyone so against Rabiot? I know his time at PSG was a bit troubled but you'd have to view it in the lens of that club being a circus in general. Did he have massive issues at Juve as well?

Todays United article in The Athletic has a mention of him not being impressed with Lou Macaris criticism of him last year on MUTV being one if the factors why he didnt sign last year. (Understandbly in fairness) Might mean we simply arent an option for him instead of vice versa.

Why is everyone so against Rabiot? I know his time at PSG was a bit troubled but you'd have to view it in the lens of that club being a circus in general. Did he have massive issues at Juve as well?

Dont believe he had any issues at Juve.

The Saudi window closes on Monday according to TalkSport
Closes on Oct 6th as says on BBC football website and transfermrkt site and others.

Someone got the dates confused I think sky sports and other places took it as gospel

Juve offerered him a new contract, I doubt they would have done that if he had massive issues there.