Active players who will go down as all-time greats in their position?

he's easily in that company. if you google any greatest/best African players list, you'll find him, Drogba, Weah and Eto'o on the top. minory disputing that are United fans like you.
Full disclosure: yes, as a United fan, I hate Salah with all my heart. Comes with the territory and why I originally said "weird why United fans are praising him so high"

That said, I still think Drogba and Weah were head and shoulders better than Salah, no matter what Google says. He is overrated and only had maybe two seasons that were top level. The rest of his career, esp lately has been just ok, nothing world class about it

All time greats as in ca top 20 in their position? If its just top one or two then almost noone active bar Messi and Ronaldo. If its more top 20 then maybe Harry Kane, along with many others already mentioned.

Yeah he's been consistently very good but even Kahn is more iconic surely? Maybe it's just that modern players are often duller than those of previous generations so I'm biased I suppose.

Schmeichel is still the greatest and most influential goalkeeper I've ever seen though. Taking Denmark to the Euros in 1992, the double double with United, the first ever treble. Bit of a prick but an amazing player and leader.
Think this is just you being young at the time and therefore remembering him as being better than he was.

Think this is just you being young at the time and therefore remembering him as being better than he was.
Very likely. I don’t know many Bayern fans who would put Kahn above Neuer.

The ones that matter: Sergio Ramos, Courtois, Marcelo, Modric, Casemiro, Benzema

I expect Mbappé, Vini, Fede, Endrick, Rodrygo, Camavinga, Rudiger, Bellingham, Guler, Brahim, Militao, Mendy, Alaba, Carvajal to make it as well

Then there's The Lord. He's beyond such petty things as ATGs

Anyone disputing van Dijk is just exposing their lack of football knowledge. No need to be like RAWK, you can admit he's arguably the greatest centre half ever.

Is this parody account?

People are just so insecure on here about Liverpool's best players of their modern era.

Does being world class make you an all time great? Even Modric I'm unsure is an all time great. Ronaldo and Messi I don't think there's any doubt, Kroos not for me at all. Does he stand out as significantly better than say Xabi Alonso? All time greats you're talking about Redondo, Edwards, Makelele, Rijkaard...

Vinicius is the best shout outside of the big 2 I think, he would stand out in any era.

I don't get it. You're not sure Modric is an all-time great, but you consider Redondo and Makelele as all-time greats?

Romario!! I read somewhere that he’s come out of retirement at age 58 haha.

What a player in his prime. Definitely an ATG.

Active players who are already all time greats in their positions:

Messi
Ronaldo
Lewandowski
Neuer
Modric
Suarez
Ramos
Van Dijk
Neymar
De Bruyne
Salah
Kante
Busquets
Thiago Silva

Active players who will be all time greats in their positions:

Mbappe(almost there; just needs a few club trophies for Real Madrid)
Rodri
Haaland
Vinicius
That's a pretty low bar for all time greats.
For me barring the obvious ones, most a one or two tiers below all time greats.

Unless your definition includes Zlatan tier as an all time great, then many of your list would qualify.

People are just so insecure on here about Liverpool's best players of their modern era.
Your arguments are like saying that you are smarter than Pitágoras because you probably know much more than what he knew about science.

Van Dijk....

Jeez. He Wouldn't even be in the top 10 defenders in the history of the English league.
He was brilliant for 2/3 seasons for liverpool but for me, that's not enough. There's 3 united CBs in stam, vidic and ferdinand I'd rather have. Terry, Adams, Campbell & carvalho as well.

That's just off the top of my head without really having to think about it

Or people can have an opinion that doesn't reflect the media wankathon on Liverpool players

Even when united where dominating, we had to listen to how Liverpool had the best GK, CB, CM and striker. Yet didn't jockey for the title.

I have no problems with saying Vvd was very good, but it is a relatively short time. Salah is one of the very best players we've had in the league and Gerrard was brilliant.

But it's not insecurity if a united fan or anyone else doesn't happen to think that x player whos revered by Liverpool and the media is the best ever.

If anything the the insecurities come from elsewhere about united eg carragher. The only united player that is almost guaranteed to get into an all time XI is big Pete, then we struggle with non united pundits/fans to get many more in despite dominating for 20 years.

Probably Haaland since modern fans literally only care about numbers and little else.

He was brilliant for 2/3 seasons for liverpool but for me, that's not enough. There's 3 united CBs in stam, vidic and ferdinand I'd rather have. Terry, Adams, Campbell & carvalho as well.

That's just off the top of my head without really having to think about it

I'd have your bacon loving self over him as well.

Not saying they’ll necessarily be considered outright all time greats but think time will be very fair to how brilliant Neymar and Pogba were

Not sure why people here are contesting Van Dijk. He has been absolutely outstanding for Liverpool and has been the standout CB in the league in the last 6-7 years. And he has not had an equally (or slightly less) capable partner like some of the other great CBs like Rio-Vidic or Terry-Carvalho. Van Dijk has been an absolute colossus and just because he plays at Liverpool doesn’t mean that we refuse to see his quality. It also wasn’t a coincidence that his arrival made Liverpool move into that title chasing and unfortunately winning team. Despite my United bias, I genuinely believe that Van Dijk is one of the best center halves I’ve seen play.

Outside of that, Rodri is a nailed on. Especially now that he has international glory to add to club success. He has become the reference DM for today’s game. And so if KdB. While I don’t like his pissy nature, his quality on the ball and his assists are truly sensational.
:lol:

Yeah, Mbappe and Haaland both have plenty to prove in terms of longevity, but I would be surprised if they do not enter such a discussion.

Licha is interesting. He had both the skills and the aura. He needs to keep it up for at least five years though and win big trophies with United.
Yet we're supposed to worship at the feet of VVD who had a peak of a couple of years?

VVD should get the award of most overrated modern CB.

Active players who are already all time greats in their positions:

Messi
Ronaldo
Lewandowski
Neuer
Modric
Suarez
Ramos
Van Dijk
Neymar
De Bruyne
Salah
Kante
Busquets
Thiago Silva

Active players who will be all time greats in their positions:

Mbappe(almost there; just needs a few club trophies for Real Madrid)
Rodri
Haaland
Vinicius
No British players?

Kind of sad that nobody's mentioned Neymar. Not because I think he deserves be on such a list, he does not, but based on his early potential he SHOULD have been in discussions like this. What a wa$te.

Kind of sad that nobody's mentioned Neymar. Not because I think he deserves be on such a list, he does not, but based on his early potential he SHOULD have been in discussions like this. What a wa$te.
Also Brazilian Ronaldo surely makes it?
Edit: Obviously not still active. Call it a senior moment.

Anyone disputing van Dijk is just exposing their lack of football knowledge. No need to be like RAWK, you can admit he's arguably the greatest centre half ever.

Ever? You started watching football only in the last few years mate?

If we are talking about "ever" there are just so many non ex Utd names up the list such as Maldini, Baresi, Beckenbauer, Puyol, Nesta, Cannavaro, Kohler, Ramos.

Even if we focus on Dutch defenders I would take Jaap Stam and Koeman anytime over van Dijk.

He is up there. Top 5 for sure and enough to make a valid argument for the top spot, at the very least.

the point is that it's not just a Liverpool thing. if you're among the best 3 or 4 players your continent has ever produced, you're an all timer by default. if he was 10 years older, he would be among those unlockable legends in early PES games.

the point is that it's not just a Liverpool thing. if you're among the best 3 or 4 players your continent has ever produced, you're an all timer by default. if he was 10 years older, he would be among those unlockable legends in early PES games.
I find that a very poor argument. Why distinguish between continents? Would you also argue Tim Cahill is an all-timer as he’s one of the best Oceania/Australia continent has ever produced?

Salah is definitely not an all-timer.

It depends slightly on the definition of all-timer but I’d say they must at least have a very good shot at being the goat in their position and being a candidate for an all-time XI.

In my opinion only three players make the cut:

Messi
Ronaldo
Neuer

Then if you want to loosen the term a little bit you could include guys like Modric, Lewandowski, De Bruyne, but Salah definitely falls a category below those guys too.

This is a joke, right?

Can you stop replying to my posts, if it's just gonna be a laughing emoji or a one-liner anyways? Based on your interactions with my posts in the last few months (which is mostly you just laughing at them and asking whether I'm joking)

-You think Mitoma and Bowen are better than Rashford

-You think Rashford is "as bad as Antony and Sancho"

-You think Foden is better than Saka

-You laughed at all my posts pre-Euros where I said Foden is heavily overestimated in the eyes of fans

-You think present day is not the strongest PL era ever

-You laugh at any post praising van Dijk

It's obvious your football knowledge is in the gutter...keep laughing at my posts because my opinion often doesn't align with your delusional casual narratives

I find that a very poor argument. Why distinguish between continents? Would you also argue Tim Cahill is an all-timer as he’s one of the best Oceania/Australia continent has ever produced?

Salah is definitely not an all-timer.

It depends slightly on the definition of all-timer but I’d say they must at least have a very good shot at being the goat in their position and being a candidate for an all-time XI.

In my opinion only three players make the cut:

Messi
Ronaldo
Neuer

Then if you want to loosen the term a little bit you could include guys like Modric, Lewandowski, De Bruyne, but Salah definitely falls a category below those guys too.

this thread makes no sense if the criteria is to somehow fit a certain active player into all time first 11.

De Bruyne isn't displacing anyone from that team and neither are Lewa and Kroos.

Last edited:
Ever? You started watching football only in the last few years mate?

If we are talking about "ever" there are just so many non ex Utd names up the list such as Maldini, Baresi, Beckenbauer, Puyol, Nesta, Cannavaro, Kohler, Ramos.

Even if we focus on Dutch defenders I would take Jaap Stam and Koeman anytime over van Dijk.

All of them are legendary defenders, with great individual and team achievements as well. No doubts about that.

They all played in much weaker eras, though, except for Ramos, and for a while, Puyol. And despite those two having much better trophy cabinets, if you put that aside and just analyze their individual games, van Dijk is better than both.

He has been mentioned a few times in fairness, but it's true that the PSG years and now Saudi have likely tarnished his legacy forever.
Can you stop replying to my posts, if it's just gonna be a laughing emoji or a one-liner anyways? Based on your interactions with my posts in the last few months (which is mostly you just laughing at them and asking whether I'm joking)

-You think Mitoma and Bowen are better than Rashford

-You think Rashford is "as bad as Antony and Sancho"

-You think Foden is better than Saka

-You laughed at all my posts pre-Euros where I said Foden is heavily overestimated in the eyes of fans

-You think present day is not the strongest PL era ever

-You laugh at any post praising van Dijk

It's obvious your football knowledge is in the gutter...keep laughing at my posts because my opinion often doesn't align with your delusional casual narratives
Tone down the arrogance in your posts, it's getting tiresome.