Active players who will go down as all-time greats in their position?

De Bruyne, Salah, Rodri, Neuer, Modric, Kroos (just retired), Vinicius, Lewandowski, Pepe deserves it more than VVD. Mbappe and Haaland.
Think this is a fair list. We’ll have to see on the last two, you never know how careers go/injuries affect things but would assume they will be.

I hope Licha gets into this group when we’re speaking about this in a few years. He’s now getting a lot of plaudits for Arg, we just need to start winning again with United but I think he’s got the ability if he stays fit.

Typical one liner response when I take 10 minutes to write a detailed post, and funnily enough everything you wrote is untrue anyway.

I'm really sorry I hurt your feelings.

Not sure why people here are contesting Van Dijk. He has been absolutely outstanding for Liverpool and has been the standout CB in the league in the last 6-7 years. And he has not had an equally (or slightly less) capable partner like some of the other great CBs like Rio-Vidic or Terry-Carvalho. Van Dijk has been an absolute colossus and just because he plays at Liverpool doesn’t mean that we refuse to see his quality. It also wasn’t a coincidence that his arrival made Liverpool move into that title chasing and unfortunately winning team. Despite my United bias, I genuinely believe that Van Dijk is one of the best center halves I’ve seen play.

Outside of that, Rodri is a nailed on. Especially now that he has international glory to add to club success. He has become the reference DM for today’s game. And so if KdB. While I don’t like his pissy nature, his quality on the ball and his assists are truly sensational.

I think they should be, yes. Not their fault that they played 40+ years ago, but they've had their fair share of glory and admiration back then, anyways. No point in putting them into GOAT debates 40-60 years later. There would have to be something deeply wrong with the sport if they were in these discussions on merit. You can't compare eras, but modern day is undeniably light years ahead of the 1980s for example.
Do you honestly believe that 1986’s version of Diego Maradona wouldn’t be the best player in the world, transported exactly as is, into this era?

This has turned into another Van Dijk hating thread, let’s face it he’s obviously going to be considered one of the best CBs of the past 10 years that’s already happened with awards and other things and when people look back in 30 years time that’s what they focus on. He was second in Ballon d’Or as a CB and won PFA player of the year. He was named in IFFHS team of the decade and various World and European XIs.

Think this is a fair list. We’ll have to see on the last two, you never know how careers go/injuries affect things but would assume they will be.

I hope Licha gets into this group when we’re speaking about this in a few years. He’s now getting a lot of plaudits for Arg, we just need to start winning again with United but I think he’s got the ability if he stays fit.
Yeah, Mbappe and Haaland both have plenty to prove in terms of longevity, but I would be surprised if they do not enter such a discussion.

Licha is interesting. He had both the skills and the aura. He needs to keep it up for at least five years though and win big trophies with United.

Do you honestly believe that 1986’s version of Diego Maradona wouldn’t be the best player in the world, transported exactly as is, into this era?

I don't think he would be. He would need a lot of prep time + to lay off all the bad habits he loved

This has turned into another Van Dijk hating thread, let’s face it he’s obviously going to be considered one of the best CBs of the past 10 years that’s already happened with awards and other things and when people look back in 30 years time that’s what they focus on. He was second in Ballon d’Or as a CB and won PFA player of the year. He was named in IFFHS team of the decade and various World and European XIs.
VVD is definitely up there, but would you have him above Ramos or Pepe? I wouldn’t. In terms of PL, he’s been the best since Rio and Terry.

I genuinely think despite his lack of dribbling, if we become a title winning side again, Bruno will be in the convo as a reference point for number 10s in terms of chance creation. He's frankly elite and sees chances I don't think any other player sees.

We see with Portugal how with structure around him, he takes much better care of the ball but still creates chances for fun and I knew the minute he went off against France, they were likely to lose.

Where do people think someone like Carvajal would go down as rated? Not sure I rate him that high myself, but he’s also won a ton of trophies, so maybe I’m underrating him?

Where do people think someone like Carvajal would go down as rated? Not sure I rate him that high myself, but he’s also won a ton of trophies, so maybe I’m underrating him?
Thought about him as well, but he’s like RMs Gary Neville. He’s good, but never been one of their best players. That being said, not sure there are many better RBs around? Alves was obviously much better, but that’s a good few years since. Don’t think he will ever be discussed as an all time great though.

Carvajal was a starter for sides that won a EURO, multiple league titles and 6 CL's.

Not on a global level but Kyle Walker is England's best ever right back.

Carvajal was a starter for sides that won a EURO, multiple league titles and 6 CL's.

There was an episode of The Overlap before the Euros final where the pundits selected their joint England-Spain team. As soon as they chose Walker over Carvajal I knew I couldn't take it seriously.

VVD is definitely up there, but would you have him above Ramos or Pepe? I wouldn’t. In terms of PL, he’s been the best since Rio and Terry.
VVD had a higher peak than Ramos and Pepe. His attributes were very well rounded before the big injury. He was very influential and without him, Liverpool were a much weaker team. He was a late bloomer though so his career at the highest level won't be as long or decorated as Pepe and Ramos.

Pepe is a better pure defender than Ramos, who has had issues with unnecessary bookings. Most of the dirty tricks Ramos used would never work in the VAR era. I don't think Sergio Ramos is as good a pure defender as some people think he is.

But Ramos does come up with important goals and is great on the ball too. Overall, you'd love to have him in your team.

Peak: VVD
Career: Ramos
Longevity: Pepe

VVD had a higher peak than Ramos and Pepe. His attributes were very well rounded before the big injury. He was very influential and without him, Liverpool were a much weaker team. He was a late bloomer though so his career at the highest level won't be as long or decorated as Pepe and Ramos.

Pepe is a better pure defender than Ramos, who has had issues with unnecessary bookings. Most of the dirty tricks Ramos used would never work in the VAR era. I don't think Sergio Ramos is as good a pure defender as some people think he is.

But Ramos does come up with important goals and is great on the ball too. Overall, you'd love to have him in your team.

Peak: VVD
Career: Ramos
Longevity: Pepe

Pepe is also extremely well rounded. Arguably an even greater athlete than VVD and is still an excellent defender at 41. His career and longevity outshines VVD, and overall he’s above him, imo. Not downplaying VVD, but Pepe is underrated.

But the question was, is VVD on course to be an all time great. I don't think, anybody contested the idea of him being a very very good CB but that applies to Pepe, Boateng, Chiellini as well. Are those all time greats? They for sure aren't for me but that is the issue debating about a topic that everybody has a different understanding about. Maybe for some, being an all-time great is more than just being very very good. But I guess, this is the logical consequence when the term world class gets thrown around so easily that it applies to the Rashfords and Onanas of this world.

I genuinely think despite his lack of dribbling, if we become a title winning side again, Bruno will be in the convo as a reference point for number 10s in terms of chance creation. He's frankly elite and sees chances I don't think any other player sees.

We see with Portugal how with structure around him, he takes much better care of the ball but still creates chances for fun and I knew the minute he went off against France, they were likely to lose.
This chance creation bug infested yet another thread... Anywho, I don't think so. He is definitely admired a lot by United fans - but that isn't enough to be called an alltime great. Thankfully I'd say, the term would suffer a lot if any fan favorite would be put into that category

Last edited:
Does being world class make you an all time great? Even Modric I'm unsure is an all time great. Ronaldo and Messi I don't think there's any doubt, Kroos not for me at all. Does he stand out as significantly better than say Xabi Alonso? All time greats you're talking about Redondo, Edwards, Makelele, Rijkaard...

Vinicius is the best shout outside of the big 2 I think, he would stand out in any era.
What makes Edwards an all-time great if Modrić isn’t, I wonder. He was certainly an all-time great talent but with his career ending at 21 (only winning 2 league titles) by definition rules him out.

And Makélélé isn’t an all-time great, ffs :lol: Especially if the likes of Modrić and Kroos somehow aren’t. Hopefully his inclusion isn’t based on the “he’s so good they’ve named a position after him” argument. He was a world-class destroyer at his peak but too limited to be an all-time great.

It is weird to see so many United fans with Mo Salah fetish

He is never going to be remembered as all time great anything. As a matter of fact, I doubt anybody will remember him at all except for Liverpool and Egypt fans

Garrincha, George Best, Arjen Robben, Beckham... These are real all-time great right wingers and Salah is not worth cleaning their boots. I would say Gareth Bale was also far more talented, if he hadn't wasted his talent

Thought about him as well, but he’s like RMs Gary Neville. He’s good, but never been one of their best players. That being said, not sure there are many better RBs around? Alves was obviously much better, but that’s a good few years since. Don’t think he will ever be discussed as an all time great though.
Kinda where I’m at but he’s an interesting one to discuss, for sure.

He has got far more individual accolades than Pepe. Ramos would also be considered a great in 20-30 years, people will forget his rash moments and red cards and look at all his trophies and final performances. Pepe would probably be a tier below those two in how he's considered, despite a great career.

He has got far more individual accolades than Pepe. Ramos would also be considered a great in 20-30 years, people will forget his rash moments and red cards and look at all his trophies and final performances. Pepe would probably be a tier below those two in how he's considered, despite a great career.
Individual accolades can also be misleading. Pepe had been outstanding for years, but because he’s been a bit of a cnut on the pitch, many simply disliked him. VVD is much more likeable. I’d argue Pepe is a greater CB than Ramos ever was, but Ramos scored a lot of goals in addition that elevates him to the same level or arguably above.

It is weird to see so many United fans with Mo Salah fetish

He is never going to be remembered as all time great anything. As a matter of fact, I doubt anybody will remember him at all except for Liverpool and Egypt fans

he's probably the greatest African player of all time, that alone makes him more than just a Liverpool legend.

Except for Messi Neuer is the most obvious one.

he's probably the greatest African player of all time, that alone makes him more than just a Liverpool legend.
Only for people who have no idea who Didier Drogba or George Weah are, to just name a couple

Ramos is absolutely an all time great, both in club and international football.
Yes, Messi made him look average many times, but then again he’s made everyone look average at times, he would’ve made every all time great CB look average.

Van Dijk was as good as anyone for a brief period of about what, 2 years? That’s simply not a long enough period to be in that discussion, otherwise Ronaldo 9 would be talked about as only second to Messi or Maradona or Pele, because his first season in Barcelona followed by his first at Inter he was absolutely sensational, he was out of this world.
Ronaldo 9 was still a world class striker for many years despite horrible injuries, Van Dijk is not more than a very good Premier League CB these days.

George Weah or Didier Drogba, surely?

Salah is a PL all time great, I don’t know about beyond that.
He doesn’t have enough iconic moments, as opposed to Drogba who was absolutely clutch in finals and big games?

Manuel Neuer is arguably the greatest and most influential Goalkeeper ever.
Ever? There was only one goalkeeper ever to have won Ballon d’Or - and it was not Neuer. But Neuer has a shot on positions 2-3 in the list of top 3 GK to have played the game ever - alongside Buffon, Casillas, Kahn, Schmeichel, Zoff and Banks.

Vidic, Rio and Ferdinand don't exist at all I suppose.
Yeah forgetting those three is borderline criminal. I'd add Nemanja in as well but I can see how that could be debatable for some

Last edited:
Only for people who have no idea who Didier Drogba or George Weah are, to just name a couple

he's easily in that company. if you google any greatest/best African players list, you'll find him, Drogba, Weah and Eto'o on the top. minory disputing that are United fans like you.