Aaron Wan-Bissaka | Signs a 7-year contract with West Ham

Correct decision for all parties. On his day, absolutely unbeatable. I dread when we have to face West Ham - I just can't see Garnacho or Rashford getting past him so just got to hope his back post positioning is what will let him down that day.

Wish him well.

He should be aspiring for more than West Ham, ultimately. Security is there, but he’s also potentially doing himself out of a lot more money by being locked into a contract it’ll cost a fortune to extricate him from.

If he backs himself, it’s not smart; if he’s pretty much settled for what is, then it’s a shrewd move.
Confusing take. West Ham are a top club! He's in a position to perform well at an established Premier League team for the remainder of his career.

He's not taken any easy way out and gone somewhere like Saudi. He'll have to back himself to make it there. Best of luck to him.

West Ham is about his level and there's nothing wrong with that. It's not like he's going to set the world on fire and Real Madrid are going to come knocking next summer.

He got his chance at a big club and came up a little short. A long term contract at a solid PL club, especially while he's started to have injury issues over the past couple of years, is very smart. Passing that up for another shot at the big time in his late 20s/early 30s would be borderline delusional.
If West Ham use him correctly, he will stand out again because he has a few world class attributes and is still probably the best 1 vs 1 duellist FB in the game. He should be maturing and rounding out his whole game during this period of his career, too, so it’s not infeasible that he looks like a player big clubs will go back in for in a couple of years. The difference now, however, is he’d have 5yrs to go at that point as opposed to 3, and putting in an offer for him will be exceedingly difficult for an interested party.

He’s 26, by 28, injuries permitting, he’s likely to be a better, wiser player with an age profile that’s still OK, but that’s all redundant now, with 7yrs on the table. Guy has snookered himself, if he has the performance level I suspect he will there.

Confusing take. West Ham are a top club! He's in a position to perform well at an established Premier League team for the remainder of his career.

He's not taken any easy way out and gone somewhere like Saudi. He'll have to back himself to make it there. Best of luck to him.
No, no they’re not. Not knocking them, but it’s a middling PL club - AWB is likely to prove to be more than that.

This perspective depends on believing it's likely that top side would be willing to buy him from West Ham, which most people don't. From the latter perspective a 7 year deal is great for AWB, as it secure his future at a level of club he's unlikely to develop much beyond.

Basically you seem to rate him more than most people do, and the decision to accept a 7 year contract aligns with majority opinion (i.e. that he's broadly a West Ham level fullback rather than one suited to a top side and unlikely to receive a substantially better offer in the future).
I think he’ll shine there. Especially if they play negative football.

CAF members will have so much free time since they don't have to write 'I hate Wan Bissaka' messages anymore. What are you going to do with your free time? Gardening?

A very good player in many ways, but didn't have that bit extra for a team that wants to be near top. There are games we will miss him this year im sure but overall the right deal

Falls into the Fred category of a likeable player I was quite fond of, but yet am also happy to see him sold and not to have to watch him again.

Absolutely no need for bitterness. So he may not have reached the standards but any need for bitterness?

Good luck to him, hope that he has a good career

Didn't realise we signed him for as much as 50mn, another one on that list of underwhelming and overpriced players.

Good luck to him. He always tried his best, had some great moments, had some flaws too.

If West Ham use him correctly, he will stand out again because he has a few world class attributes and is still probably the best 1 vs 1 duellist FB in the game. He should be maturing and rounding out his whole game during this period of his career, too, so it’s not infeasible that he looks like a player big clubs will go back in for in a couple of years. The difference now, however, is he’d have 5yrs to go at that point as opposed to 3, and putting in an offer for him will be exceedingly difficult for an interested party.

He’s 26, by 28, injuries permitting, he’s likely to be a better, wiser player with an age profile that’s still OK, but that’s all redundant now, with 7yrs on the table. Guy has snookered himself, if he has the performance level I suspect he will there.

Now he's gone do we have any players that can claim that they are the best in the world at one specific thing?

Currently all I can think is that Casemiro is the best in the world at that pointless slide tackle that slides straight past both man and ball...

7 years?! :o

Good luck to him.

PSR rules I'd presume, spreading the cost of the £15m transfer over the duration of the contract for accounting purposes plus wages. Mind you, I don't think it makes too much difference when the fee is relatively small.

Don't know what sort of wage he might be on. Let's say it's about £6m a year.

A 4 year deal they'd be putting £9.75m on the books for those years.
5 years = £9m a year
7 years = £8.14m a year

I think that's right? Plus the longer the contract the longer you're potentially stuck with a player should things not work out.

Best of luck to him. Not as bad as everyone made out but not good enough for us. Won’t be surprised if he gets a bigger mode in a couple of years despite the 7-year contract

Absolutely top class when it comes to one on one defending. Unfortunately that isn't enough for top teams. Lacks ability going forwards and switches off too often when asked to do "normal" defending. Glad to see him leave for no other reason than it somewhat signals our intentions to upgrade on players who aren't necessarily poor but aren't of the right style or quality for a team with ambition. The sort of player that would likely have spent the next 5+ years at United under Glazer control.

Wish him well for the future and I think a team like WHU will be good for him.

PSR rules I'd presume, spreading the cost of the £15m transfer over the duration of the contract for accounting purposes plus wages. Mind you, I don't think it makes too much difference when the fee is relatively small.

Don't know what sort of wage he might be on. Let's say it's about £6m a year.

A 4 year deal they'd be putting £9.75m on the books for those years.
5 years = £9m a year
7 years = £8.14m a year

I think that's right? Plus the longer the contract the longer you're potentially stuck with a player should things not work out.

Rules changed after Chelsea started handing out lifetime deals, the cost can only be spread across 5 years now.

Sounds like the holdup for getting this done was exactly what I mentioned it would be which some here said was nonsense. AWB was holding out for a signing bonus because he knew that in a year he would get one as a free transfer. Those that spoke up and said no team would give AWB a signing bonus just don’t understand how the football market works.

First time I've heard of a 7 year contract. That's his career settled then.

He should be aspiring for more than West Ham, ultimately. Security is there, but he’s also potentially doing himself out of a lot more money by being locked into a contract it’ll cost a fortune to extricate him from.

If he backs himself, it’s not smart; if he’s pretty much settled for what is, then it’s a shrewd move.

I mean, every time these guys step on the pitch they run the risk of being sidelined for a very long time or potentially never playing again. At 26, a 7 year contract is an amazing deal for him. Imagine he signs a 4 year deal, and God forbid suffers a really bad injury?

However confident one may be - thats's his financial future secured - first and foremost - if he does well, and a club really wants him, they'll pay what's necessary whether he'd signed a 5 year deal or a 7 one. The most important thing for an athlete, at his age, and not exactly in an upward trajectory is to secure the bag. West Ham is a midtable Prem team, which has won European trophies recently. It's a very good deal for him.

Good signing for them, he'll do well there. Not quite good enough for us, but he did make some improvements under ETH. A good deal for all involved.

I'm not keen on us replacing him with someone with a ropey fitness record though.

I hope he does well with WHU.

Every time he got the ball I always thought he would do something special but it too rarely happened. Maybe he will be better suited to a new team.

Best of luck to him. Put in some excellent one v one performances against some tricky wingers over the years, it's just a shame his career never really progressed like we wanted it to.

7 years of AWB
9b554007448593024dd32e0823bf086d.gif

Good luck to him. Never really kicked on after coming here for a massive fee, but there's a player in there.

Maybe a chance that he got that £5 million payout from West Ham, but they agreed to give it over a seven year contract, rather than a lump sum.

I hope he goes on to have a solid career except against us. Was never a bad as some people would suggest but failed to adapt enough to help us going forward. Always felt he was typecast like Smalling a bit by Southgate. Good luck to him.

Came on in two cup finals in the last 18 months and helped us see out the game and win the trophy.

He was never the right profile for us but there are outstanding aspects to his game and I think he'll do well at West Ham.

I wish him well.

How much did we sell for?

Good luck to him, watch him improve his crossing and become the worlds best RB.

Good deal for all parties involved. He didn't quite reach the heights I would have hoped for here, but he did progress somewhat (notably with the ball) and was a consistent 1v1 colossus which meant he was a key player in some of our big performances over the past 5 years. He isn't (and probably wasn't even back then) the right player for the type of dominant football we'd want to see developed, but I'm sure he'll be very good for West Ham who have got themselves a very committed, very professional player.

Good luck to him, not a bad thing to say about him!