Aaron Wan-Bissaka | Signs a 7-year contract with West Ham

Didn't want him when we initially signed him.

But he's grown on me. I think he's very, very good and if he ends up avoiding injuries he'll end up back at a top club. He's an incredible 1v1 defender and a bit like Walker, there'll always be some value at a top club that needs to shutdown a big threat on a flank.

He was poorly developed here though - he's basically the same player, he was when we got him as a 20 year old. His back post defending should've been fixed by now. Thats still his biggest flaw.

Who are your full back options now? Shaw, Dalot, Malacia? After that's its out of position CBs or kids isn't it?

Or am I forgetting someone?

Our options are shit. Three injury prone players if you include Mazraoui and a kid. Our only reliable fullback is Dalot. Maybe the injury curse will be broken and Mazraoui will stay fit for most of the season.

Good deal for all parties with AWB. He'll do well at West Ham and we get some money finally for a player on the last year of his contract. About bloody time we dont let these players go on a free.

Will inevitably have two absolute stormers against us and pocket Rashford.

I'll miss him as a player. Probably a RB in the wrong era with all the focus being on systems and fluid positions because he was an absolutely immense one v one defender on a wide player. Sadly though was too positionally poor.

I did always think his lack of ability on the ball was overplayed though - he had a great dribbling style and rarely got dispossessed and, aside from blasting a token shot over the bar every match, I didn't think there was that much between him and Dalot in that department for a long time

Dont think I ever really got over the Europa League semi in the Covid season vs Sevilla and the stupid goals given away and in fairness he is exactly the same player he was when we signed him a few years ago with no noticeable progression.

But at least he goes on a good note with the FA Cup final performance.

Great professional. Never once complained, just tried his best.

Not good enough in the end but had some great games.

Will inevitably have two absolute stormers against us and pocket Rashford.

I'll miss him as a player. Probably a RB in the wrong era with all the focus being on systems and fluid positions because he was an absolutely immense one v one defender on a wide player. Sadly though was too positionally poor.

I did always think his lack of ability on the ball was overplayed though - he had a great dribbling style and rarely got dispossessed and, aside from blasting a token shot over the bar every match, I didn't think there was that much between him and Dalot in that department for a long time

He would 100% pocket Rashford, I hope we have a different strategy for that day - (basically get it to the other wing and cross it to the back post)

All the best to him. He did have some great defensive performances for us but his non existent attacking threat and his often overlooked horrible positioning and awareness defensively won’t be missed.

But he's grown on me. I think he's very, very good and if he ends up avoiding injuries he'll end up back at a top club. He's an incredible 1v1 defender and a bit like Walker, there'll always be some value at a top club that needs to shutdown a big threat on a flank.

He was poorly developed here though - he's basically the same player, he was when we got him as a 20 year old. His back post defending should've been fixed by now. Thats still his biggest flaw.

He can be a useful profile even for top teams, but considering the player he is at the moment, I don't see anything more than a squad role / bench option in him for some specific circumstances. Would be interesting to see him develop his game further, but it never really happened at United in 5 years.

Good luck to AWB, Solid player, but wasn't good enough if we want to be qualifying for champions league every season or battling for premier league and champions league titles. Wish him the best. His positioning, pressing and attacking play was just no where near good enough.

“It was a no brainer for me to join West Ham – I’m excited and happy to be here.

“It’s an amazing feeling to be back in London, and I’m excited for what’s coming. I was born here, so I know the ins and outs of London, which plays a big part in my life, so to be back playing in this city means a lot to me.

“I’m happy to be here, am grateful for the warm welcome, and I am excited to be playing for the Club and will give it my all.

“I can’t wait to get on the pitch, get to know the players, and push on from there. I see a team that is in it together, that will push each other to win, and a group that has got each others' backs through thick and thin, so being part of that and having that insurance helps a lot when you are surrounded by a good squad.”

7 Years... ffs. He'll spend a chunk of that on loan in the championship.

Seems a good lad. Best slide tackle in the game. Did improve other aspects, but was never going to be good enough for where we want to be.

Fair play to him for getting a 7 year deal, especially when injuries have started to creep in a bit lately. He must have Roberto Martinez's agent.

The aim for him should be to play himself into contention for a top club again, which is why signing for 7yrs seems incredibly daft.

Who are your full back options now? Shaw, Dalot, Malacia? After that's its out of position CBs or kids isn't it?

Or am I forgetting someone?
We're not Chelsea to have 7 players for a single position and 4 others on loan.

as for AWB - good luck to him. Wasn't to be as he's a limited player but should do ok at WH. 7 years though is just wild..

The aim for him should be to play himself into contention for a top club again, which is why signing for 7yrs seems incredibly daft.

I think he'll be pretty content with life in London at a solid PL team. Can't blame him tbh.

I was really excited when he signed and he did help fix our woeful backline at the time, but I don't think he ever developed as much as people were probably hoping. He's still a solid player though, and if he get's to play a more simple game that plays to his strengths he can be brilliant at times.

Never got the appreciation he deserved at United. He had plenty of faults, particularly with the attacking side of the game, but you cannot overlook how he is one of the best tacklers in the game.

I fully expect AWB to come back to haunt us with a defensive masterclass at West Ham at some point. Best of luck for the future!

It is smart for the player. That’s incredible job security. He’s 26.
He should be aspiring for more than West Ham, ultimately. Security is there, but he’s also potentially doing himself out of a lot more money by being locked into a contract it’ll cost a fortune to extricate him from.

If he backs himself, it’s not smart; if he’s pretty much settled for what is, then it’s a shrewd move.

Good signing for West Ham.

To echo the above, 7 Years? Thats a strange one indeed. The PSR loophole on contract lengths was closed (and in any case it's 15m, hardly makes a difference), so it can surely just be down to the agent. Cracking deal for AWB, WH must be puddled though. If he gets his slippers on in 3 years what are they gonna do?

Contract duration is 1 way the club can pay a player more without breaking the wage structure.

It's a somewhat similar thing we're doing with Bruno.

Win-win for both parties.

He should be aspiring for more than West Ham, ultimately. Security is there, but he’s also potentially doing himself out of a lot more money by being locked into a contract it’ll cost a fortune to extricate him from.

If he backs himself, it’s not smart; if he’s pretty much settled for what is, then it’s a shrewd move.
West Ham is about his level and there's nothing wrong with that. It's not like he's going to set the world on fire and Real Madrid are going to come knocking next summer.

He got his chance at a big club and came up a little short. A long term contract at a solid PL club, especially while he's started to have injury issues over the past couple of years, is very smart. Passing that up for another shot at the big time in his late 20s/early 30s would be borderline delusional.

All the best to him. Could have been a good player under a different era but his lack of threat going forward meant he was never going to fit a team wanting to compete for the title or for our style of play. Hope he does well at West Ham.

This perspective depends on believing it's likely that top side would be willing to buy him from West Ham, which most people don't. From the latter perspective a 7 year deal is great for AWB, as it secure his future at a level of club he's unlikely to develop much beyond.

Basically you seem to rate him more than most people do, and the decision to accept a 7 year contract aligns with majority opinion (i.e. that he's broadly a West Ham level fullback rather than one suited to a top side and unlikely to receive a substantially better offer in the future).

Last edited:

Yeah I'm surprised. I think that rules him out of that.

He's more than good enough to play at a top club again.