1. PLATINI

antohan:
1. FALCAO

Interval Level:

Crustanoid:

Nani Nana:

Brwned:

Polaroid:

Haha. No, you do make a good point. This will be an awfully difficult draft in terms of getting the blend right, thats what will make it exciting though!

Indeed, it is the blend going forward I'm struggling with on my wishlist. I look at a First XI I think may be achievable and think "11 good players, no idea if they will work though" :lol:

I'm sorry I missed this from yesterday. It looks to be too late.

If anyone would like some assistance, I'd be more than happy to help.

Yours,
The 70's Draft Winner

Hi Cling Bak - I'm waiting for Interval level to turn up, but might head off to bed soon. I could PM you my preferred pick and if IL picks it first, let you choose?

I agree, the advantages of picking first are overdone and I argued as much in the last draft. But if in subsequent rounds it is always the extremes picking first there clearly is a case for that not being particularly fair.
Hence the alternating of drafting order - picking first at this stage means picking last at the next stage, "leveling out" any perceived advantages of picking first. In the case of the top 2 in each group progressing to the KO stage, the S-final draft "levels out" the pre-tournament draft.
The winning S-finalists can then get 1st and 4th picks from their direct S-Final opponent as well as 2nd and 3rd picks from the eliminated opponent in the other S-final. Suggestions on improvements or alternatives are welcome :)

It really differs on the criteria for picking really. If you would do a draft for players currently playing it would obviously be better to go first. Messi, Ronaldo, Iniesta, Xavi. They are well in ahead of any other player.

It doesn't level itself out completely Polaroid. The Nr. 1 get's the first pick. He then gets 2-3, 4-5, 6-7, 8-9 & 10-11 pick. So not only does he picks first but he's also the first to pick in the last round.

Hence the alternating of drafting order - picking first at this stage means picking last at the next stage, "leveling out" any perceived advantages of picking first. In the case of the top 2 in each group progressing to the KO stage, the S-final draft "levels out" the pre-tournament draft.
The winning S-finalists can then get 1st and 4th picks from their direct S-Final opponent as well as 2nd and 3rd picks from the eliminated opponent in the other S-final. Suggestions on improvements or alternatives are welcome :)

As said, I agree with it applying immediately after the group stage and somewhat balancing the first draft. What you suggest here makes sense (although four picks after the semi may be too much).

It is in the case where you have quarters that if you always apply the same logic you end up with certain players consistently getting first dibs (draft+before semis, or before quarters+after semis) which ends up defeating the original purpose of eliminating any bias introduced by the draft order.

It really differs on the criteria for picking really. If you would do a draft for players currently playing it would obviously be better to go first. Messi, Ronaldo, Iniesta, Xavi. They are well in ahead of any other player.

Participants as a collective have to make a decision re players who are heads and shoulders above their peers. They can decide to
1) include some/all of them (managers picking first will naturally benefit)
2) omit some/all of them (common approach)
3) extend the time brackets to deepen the talent pool eg 70s&80s instead of just 80s
4) selectively add past legends to the draft (untried approach, could be tricky)

It doesn't level itself out completely Polaroid. The Nr. 1 get's the first pick. He then gets 2-3, 4-5, 6-7, 8-9 & 10-11 pick. So not only does he picks first but he's also the first to pick in the last round.

I am not saying it levels itself out completely. We can only try to, as far as possible. In this case, the OP asked managers to pick a squad of 12 players

Nr 1 - 1, 20, 21, 40, 41, 60.....120
Nr 5 - 5, 15, 25, 35, 45, 55.....115
Nr 10 - 10, 11, 30, 31, 50, 51...111

The mathematical summations tally but this should not be interpreted as every team is equally strong because players' abilities cannot be reduced to mere rankings and tallied. When we have something better, we can then improve/change this model of drafting

As said, I agree with it applying immediately after the group stage and somewhat balancing the first draft. What you suggest here makes sense (although four picks after the semi may be too much).

Imo the Final should be showcasing the best the 50s generation has to offer. 4 picks instead of 2 will help to achieve that. However, I am fine either way. Perhaps others can share their opinions or Brwned as the organiser can decide

I was confused between two. I'm pretty sure I won't get a second bite of the cherry but,

Daniel Passarella
8608.jpg

Great pick mate. He was the last survivor from my top 5.

Have you PMd Crustanoid/Cling? I have Brwned's pick.

Imo the Final should be showcasing the best the 50s generation has to offer. 4 picks instead of 2 will help to achieve that. However, I am fine either way. Perhaps others can share their opinions or Brwned as the organiser can decide

If we go straight into semis it definitely should be done as otherwise the teams in the final would be unlikely to be particularly strong. If we have quarters it would mean the majority of the final teams being post-draft picks though, which is a bit much. I do like the concept of people going for some sort of tactic and spine, improve on it here and there, but not huge revamps which is a bit unrealistic.

So, is Nani on at 9:08 or should we have a 12 hour regime? We could always leave picks with others just in case, but 6 hour windows are a bit harsh considering sleep/work, etc.

So, is Nani on at 9:08 or should we have a 12 hour regime? We could always leave picks with others just in case, but 6 hour windows are a bit harsh considering sleep/work, etc.

it's not my turn right

i'm in favour of stopping the clock from midnight to 6AM

People should just PM on their picks when they're off to bed/work and won't be on for a while, really. If you're not going to be online for the next hour or so but you're next in line then PM your picks, should cut down on the delays.

Socrates.jpg

Jayvin: 1. SCIREA

Duffy: 1. ROBBO

TDon69: 1. ZICO

Gio: 1. PLATINI

antohan: 1. FALCAO

Interval Level: PASSARELLA

Crustanoid: SOCRATES

Nani Nana:

Brwned:

Polaroid:

I was thinking about a striker, but now I'm wise to these drafts, an influential midfielder or defender is more important (Passerella was one of my top picks!)

People should just PM on their picks when they're off to bed/work and won't be on for a while, really. If you're not going to be online for the next hour or so but you're next in line then PM your picks, should cut down on the delays.

Right now I frankly have NO idea what I'm going to go for next. When next in line I agree it is easier and we should all make our best efforts, but this moves very slowly sometimes and very quickly at times and you can't spend 24 hours hooked onto it.

That said, in later rounds it is much easier because you already have some sort of spine or at least a concept shaping up so you can PM picks much earlier.

Maybe have it at 12 for the first three rounds and 6 thereafter?

I was thinking about a striker, but now I'm wise to these drafts, an influential midfielder or defender is more important (Passerella was one of my top picks!)

:lol: What was it last time? Del piero, Raúl and Ruud as the first three picks?

It's all been somewhat predictable so far (bar Scirea being first pick but I guess there's a clear demand/supply rationale to that).

Who's throwing the first curveball then?

:lol: What was it last time? Del piero, Raúl and Ruud as the first three picks?

It's all been somewhat predictable so far (bar Scirea being first pick but I guess there's a clear demand/supply rationale to that).

Who's throwing the first curveball then?

:lol:

In my defence my assistant picked the first two as I went awol for a while!

There's a hell of a lot of good strikers in this generation though. Must.....resist.....

Interval Level: 1. PASSARELLA

Crustanoid: 1. SOCRATES

Nani Nana: 1. MCGRATH

Brwned: 1. NEESKENS

Polaroid: 1. 2.

I'm going somewhere without a signal for the next 8 hours-ish.

Anybody likely to be around (after my pick in the order)?

karl+heinz+rummenigge.jpeg

kempes_3_en,property=original.jpg

Brwned: 1. NEESKENS

Polaroid: 1. RUMMENIGGE 2. KEMPES

Good pick Brwned

There's not many players you can say did the work of two men in midfield but that's absolutely the case with Neeskens. One of the pioneers of the extreme-pressing game and orchestrated the play from deep. Few players in the draft can compete with his energy, leadership, steel and intelligence.

Hugo-Sanchez-Top-Ten.jpg

Brwned: 1. NEESKENS 2. HUGO SANCHEZ

EDIT: I decided it was a knee-jerk reaction to Polaroid's choice, if anyone noticed the edit! Couldn't decide at all there.

Interesting combination, don't you think to some degree they'd get in each others' way? Both loved to drop deep and run at defenders, obviously with their ability to beat a man there's always going to be space and they could always pull out wide but, just out of interest, why choose two similar forwards over a more conventional fox-in-the-box type?

i pick Marco TARDELLI. Sorry no pic, posting from a phone

Nani Nana: 1. MCGRATH 2. TARDELLI

Brwned: 1. NEESKENS 2. HUGO SANCHEZ

:lol: I was really expecting Polaroid to get someone's jaw out of place with a double-whammy.

Cue scramble for forwards...

I have Crustanoid's pick but wonder whether he won't go back to his instincts and pick a striker now.

I hope no one minds if I let the clock run to give him time to reconsider.

:lol: I was really expecting Polaroid to get someone's jaw out of place with a double-whammy.

Cue scramble for forwards...

There's still plenty of forwards left in fairness, I didn't even want Hugo Sanchez just yet but he's the only top-tier forward left and no-one can match his goals record. There's still a good 10 or so forwards around a similar level now, I'd say. Unlike in the last draft though most of the good forwards here played in a partnership, so it could get pretty scarce pretty quickly on that front!