2024 U.S. Elections

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Wasn't the thinking behind Harris that she would be the only one that could use Biden's campaign contributions if he dropped out?
Yes.

I think, though, that the Biden campaign could donate its finances to the DNC. The DNC could then use that money in lieu of a new ticket building its own warchest. Not sure how feasible this is as I only read briefly - but it has been touted as a possibility.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Yes.

I think, though, that the Biden campaign could donate its finances to the DNC. The DNC could then use that money in lieu of a new ticket building its own warchest. Not sure how feasible this is as I only read briefly - but it has been touted as a possibility.
Can't he just transfer it directly to a new candidate not named Kamala, and call it an "official act"?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Wasn't the thinking behind Harris that she would be the only one that could use Biden's campaign contributions if he dropped out?
She could, but I doubt that's why she would be considered as a replacement given that she would lose to Trump, which is the ultimate consideration on who to run. As for the funds, if the Dems nominated a younger candidate, they would fundraise absurd amounts of money in very short time given the prospect of another Trump term; so in the end, I doubt Biden's fundraising will drive who the next perspective nominee is.

Last edited:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Can't he just transfer it directly to a new candidate not named Kamala, and call it an "official act"?
That would be against campaign finance laws in that people who contributed the money only contributed it to the Biden/Harris campaign. The options are: 1: Harris uses the money if she's the nominee or 2: The money is converted into PAC money then reappropriated to the next campaign, or 3: The money is refunded to original contributors then re-contributed to the next candidate.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Yes, of course. I meant in terms of Trump's "mandate" to govern. He doesn't give a shit if it was a close call or not, and neither would anyone else.
Fair enough. In that case you are 100% right.

Fergies Gum

The sooner people accept Kamala will be the nominee, the less disappointment they will have in the next few weeks when the inevitable coronation happens.

We are already seeing movement from some Dems and more will follow in the coming days.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
The sooner people accept Kamala will be the nominee, the less disappointment they will have in the next few weeks when the inevitable coronation happens.

We are already seeing movement from some Dems and more will follow in the coming days.

Clyburn supporting Harris is no surprise.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Get him off the ticket. Please.

Down 9 in Nevada, down 10 in Arizona.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United

More:

According to this Biden seems to poll worse than any alternative.

Whitmer = Buttigieg >> Newsom >> Harris >> Biden.

Last edited:

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid

Why would internal polling look worse than the regular polls?

Pre-debate internal polling is way worse than the polling average on 538/RCP, odd.

Not that I doubt the numbers are horrible though.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United

Pre-debate internal polling is way worse than the polling average on 538/RCP, odd.

I honestly do not know.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout

someone on twitter said this polling had been leaked earlier and was far below the RCP avg then too. i didn't check.

anyway whitmer being the strongest option is no surprise. but can't see it happening.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!

Likely voters vs registered voters maybe?

Total guess.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
More:

According to this Biden seems to poll worse than any alternative.

Whitmer = Buttigieg >> Newsom >> Harris >> Biden.
The trouble with these numbers they are hypotheticals as opposed to the tangible question of Biden v Trump. Let's wait until if/when the Dems replace Biden and measure how the replacement fares in a head to head against Trump when no other options are available.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
I just don't get it. The DNC are seeing all this. The liberal media is even against them now. What the actual Hell are they smoking?

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
The trouble with these numbers they are hypotheticals as opposed to the tangible question of Biden v Trump. Let's wait until if/when the Dems replace Biden and measure how the replacement fares in a head to head against Trump when no other options are available.
I agree. I also assume the figures must have filtered out unknowns. Apart from the optics of such a late change the main difference will be one of name recognition. Honestly think a Whitmer, who seems personable but who fewer people know might be the best candidate. Dems need to go as high variance as possible in my opinion.

Laurencio

I just don't get it. The DNC are seeing all this. The liberal media is even against them now. What the actual Hell are they smoking?
Biden won the primaries, he is the president and is allowed another term - historically very few preidents fail to get a second term in office. Only he can make the decision to drop out, no one can actually force him at this point.

redcucumber

How bad does it have to get before he drops out and is replaced by someone less corpsey? Is there an unofficial threshold they are waiting for, or something?

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
This is a snowball rolling down a very big hill and it is not going to come to a stop any time soon:

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
They can't even straight up deny if he's having brain scans:

GOP messaging is and will continue to be in the ascendent until Biden stands down or gets crushed.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
The main problem is that not only will Biden never decide himself to step aside, he’s got a whole caravan of people around him who will fight tooth and nail to make sure he doesn’t step aside because he’s their gravy train and the reason they have high profile jobs in the capitol. These are the people America is relying on to push for the obvious decision and it’s against the interest of basically every one of them.

Infra-red

How bad does it have to get before he drops out and is replaced by someone less corpsey? Is there an unofficial threshold they are waiting for, or something?
No. He's decided to stay and lose the election. Whether he still knows that there is an election later this year or is even aware that he's the President, is an open question at this point. It matters not, President Trump's victory is all but guaranteed now.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
The main problem is that not only will Biden never decide himself to step aside, he’s got a whole caravan of people around him who will fight tooth and nail to make sure he doesn’t step aside because he’s their gravy train and the reason they have high profile jobs in the capitol. These are the people America is relying on to push for the obvious decision and it’s against the interest of basically every one of them.
I kind of hope that's the reason. At least it makes sense, selfish f*cks. You'd of thought the main decision makers aren't them though, or at least that there are plenty of other power brokers from potential candidates for said jobs that would be pushing hard in the other direction.

It's such an ignomious end to his Presidency, and worst, a dumb way to step on one of the biggest rakes in history.