2024 U.S. Elections

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Wasn't this debate crazily early in the cycle? What was the point of that, if not to check if Biden was up to it in time for a replacement before the convention?

SirAF

Ageist
Wasn't this debate crazily early in the cycle? What was the point of that, if not to check if Biden was up to it in time for a replacement before the convention?
The official line: to build momentum and close the polling gaps I assume. Didn’t go too well.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
Are YOU serious? No person with the slightest knowledge of US politics would suggest it is better for the US and the world with Trump (or any other Republican in their extremist format of today) than Biden (or any other Democrat for that matter!)

Who cares if Biden is a "walking corpse"? He's got a competent admin full of experienced people around him. Biden himself might be shit, but his admin has been quite successful over the past 3.5 years. I'd rather take than the complete clown show Trump would bring - and that's not even getting into SCOTUS, Project 2025, abortion etc but you wouldn't know anything about those issues would you? You know as well as I do that Trump will bring a gaggle of people who are not qualified for anything if he gets back in.

You're honestly coming off as a closet Trump fan who fakes being "concerned" because of Biden's age. Biden's age and state of mind is fecking irrelevant when Trump/MAGA GOP is on the other side of the table. How can you not get that?

Like I said, you're either an ultra conservative who backs Trump or you are utterly clueless and naive about US affairs. You've produced 1363 posts since 2001(!) and now all of a sudden you're giving it large in here about how it would be better for the US with a maniac like Trump instead of Biden. Laughable.
Don't feed the Troll. Can't you see the similarities in the posts here to the ones in the Israel/Palestinian threads? Just posts repetitive and argumentative posts then ignores replies that counter with facts. Rinse and repeat. Honestly, don't waste your time.

SirAF

Ageist
Don't feed the Troll. Can't you see the similarities in the posts here to the ones in the Israel/Palestinian threads? Just posts repetitive and argumentative posts then ignores replies that counter with facts. Rinse and repeat. Honestly, don't waste your time.
You’re right, I know. I’m off to do todays hike now!

Smores

You are in principle correct. But it’s the voters who are acting against their own interest here in this example.

"Cutting off one's nose to spite one's face" comes to mind.
Actions have consequences sure but it doesn't imply fault. The responsibility and accountability has to sit with the Dems for their choices and a poor offering.

In an ideal world the electorate would be informed, engaged, and free from the influence. This isn't that ideal world, the parties have to sell not only their candidate but the power of the vote. In that the Dems are failing the voters, not the voters failing the Dems.

Infra-red

I’d take the corpse over a 2nd Trump administration every day of the week and twice on Sunday.
Well, exactly. If it was Trump vs a random person generator which would select a random American to become President, you'd go with the random unknown person every time.

Revan

Assumptionman
Well, exactly. If it was Trump vs a random person generator which would select a random American to become President, you'd go with the random unknown person every time.
A random American has a very high chance of not being demented though.

Mike Smalling

I’d take the corpse over a 2nd Trump administration every day of the week and twice on Sunday.
Yeah. When it comes to Biden's potential lack of mental capacity, it's like people are sometimes comparing him to a normal person. But Trump is crazy, dumb, really old himself, authoritarian, easily swayed, and possibly compromised by foreign actors. If Biden was up against someone like Mitt Romney or whoever, I'd take the mental capacity arguments a little more serious.

gaffs

In general not particularly, but she is a member of one of the Divine 9 sororities/fraternities which are the group of historically black Greek organizations that are very active and did rally around her. The total membership is maybe around 4 million but they are a well-educated, politically active group as a whole that can help get out the vote in urban areas of Southern states especially. I wouldn't be surprised if that helped Biden win Georgia by ~10K votes in 2020.
You may be right there. But Georgia doesnt seem to be in play this time around, so does it even matter?

Blood Mage

To avoid a Trump landslide it's in Biden's best interest to skip the September debate. A narrow win for Trump gives him less of mandate at least.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
To avoid a Trump landslide it's in Biden's best interest to skip the September debate. A narrow win for Trump gives him less of mandate at least.
I don't think mandates will factor into Trump's behavior if he wins. He comes from a straight up horse race mentality of winners and losers, so he will spin any win (even by the slenderest of margins) as a historically massive one, which will no doubt involve plenty of lies about the numbers and that he would've won by even more if his opponent hadn't cheated.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
You may be right there. But Georgia doesnt seem to be in play this time around, so does it even matter?
Not sure, there. Probably not? But Kamala does play a little better in the suburbs of Atlanta than in places like San Francisco and New York., but yeah probably doesn't matter in the grand scheme

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
It's in Biden's best interest to drop out and retire, but if he don't then yeah, he definitely needs to avoid the September debate.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Never thought i would say this, Harris is now a stronger candidate than Biden.

Its not the ideal choice, but she is the VP and has the campaign infrastructure, at least.

Revan

Assumptionman
Not really. Once you reach 271, it really does not matter how many votes you have.

gaffs

It's in Biden's best interest to drop out and retire, but if he don't then yeah, he definitely needs to avoid the September debate.
Agree, he should drop out.

But i think he has to be pushing for another crack at a debate. The question is, was this just a one off bad night or what he is like day to day?

Some say he was probably knackered post two trips to Europe. And that he had a cold.

If that is true, he needs to push for another go.

Trump wont be interested in running it back though.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Never thought i would say this, Harris is now a stronger candidate than Biden.

Its not the ideal choice, but she is the VP and has the campaign infrastructure, at least.
She's even more unpopular than he is, and has no organic constituency within the Dem ecosystem. If he drops out, its got to be either Newsom or Whitmer (or some combination between them on a ticket).

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
She's even more unpopular than he is, and has no organic constituency within the Dem ecosystem. If he drops out, its got to be either Newsom or Whitmer (or some combination between them on a ticket).
No she isn't, not anymore, she sits at - 10 on average, Biden is at a whopping - 19.

Obviously i don't think she is the strongest candidate either, Whitmer probably is.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
I don't think that older view applies anymore now that everyone has seen what condition Biden is actually in.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
No she isn't, not anymore, she sits at - 10 on average, Biden is at a whopping - 19.

Obviously i don't think she is the strongest candidate either, Whitmer probably is.
Harris is crap. No one in the Dem party supports her and this wouldn't be another Hillary or Biden style coronation where one person is the candidate of choice among party elites.

If you ask Republicans who they fear running against the most, its always Newsom.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Harris is crap. No one in the Dem party supports her and this wouldn't be another Hillary or Biden style coronation where one person is the candidate of choice among party elites.

If you ask Republicans who they fear running against the most, its always Newsom.
Whitmer won an actually competitive swing state by a record margin, and has used a very thin legislative majority to push through her agenda.

Newsom is associated with California = gay anti-American homeless criminal shoplifting pedos. Every day the Fox neews on my phone had a story - this was their replacement for AOC stories. Plus he has vetoed bills from his Dem supermajority.

It's a moot point, because the optics of removing Biden and then removing Harris are catastrophic. It has to be Harris.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I don't think that older view applies anymore now that everyone has seen what condition Biden is actually in.
Even as recently as pre-last week's debate, she was at least as unpopular as he was. Except in her case, she has low support among party elites whereas the Clinton/Obama (Biden) cabal have largely controlled the party for 3 decades now.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
From reviewing some youtube debates I'd estimate that Newsome is the best speaker, Whitmer probably has the most variance and the swing state experience. If there is any, any chance at all of getting either or both of them on the ticket then the Dems have to do it.

The status quo can not and will not work. An apparently senile old man cannot be cast as the last champion of democracy. It's insane.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Whitmer won an actually competitive swing state by a record margin, and has used a very thin legislative majority to push through her agenda.

Newsom is associated with California = gay anti-American homeless criminal shoplifting pedos. Every day the Fox neews on my phone had a story - this was their replacement for AOC stories. Plus he has vetoed bills from his Dem supermajority.

It's a moot point, because the optics of removing Biden and then removing Harris are catastrophic. It has to be Harris.
Harris wouldn't be getting removed. She's a VP elected by the people for one four year term which is due to expire soon and would have to compete for POTUS just like the others. There's nothing special about her that suggests she should be the next person in line.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Harris wouldn't be getting removed. She's a VP elected by the people for one four year term which is due to expire soon and would have to compete for POTUS just like the others. There's nothing special about her that suggests she should be the next person in line.
Good luck convincing everybody that dropping the sitting VP isn't a removal :)

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid

Harris is not a strong candidate, but then, neither is Newsom, i think he is quite overrated.

But either way, if Biden drops out, dems would for sure increase their chances with Newsom as well.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Harris is not a strong candidate, but then, neither is Newsom, i think he is quite overrated.

But either way, if Biden drops out, dems would for sure increase their chances with Newsom as well.
There's a reason Newsom has been running a shadow campaign for the past 6 months, which has involved bizarrely debating Ron DeSantis on national TV and visiting Beijing to big up his foreign policy game. He made a pretty accurate prediction that Biden may at some point drop out, and wants to be the well positioned to be his replacement.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Good luck convincing everybody that dropping the sitting VP isn't a removal :)
Removal from what precisely ? If Biden drops out, she has every right as the others to compete to replace him. What she doesn't have a right to be coronated as if she's next in line.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
Wasn't the thinking behind Harris that she would be the only one that could use Biden's campaign contributions if he dropped out?

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
"Don't vote for the man who'll damage democracy, because it's the right thing to do."

"Oh, and we won't replace the senile 81 year old alternative with anyone else, even though it's the right thing to do."