2024 U.S. Elections

Wing Attack Plan R

This has been a pretty awful, depressing week. Today the Burrito Supreme Court ruled the president is exempt from a whole raft of laws, and last week we saw the reanimated corpse of Joe Biden being operated remotely by a 12 year old with a soundboard. If there is a Light Yagami out there with a notebook, I have a bunch of names for you. Between the debate, today's SCROTEUS decision, and the 2025 playbook, I feel like we're in Ch. 1 of a dystopian novel. Or if there's a Johnny Smith out there, do what you have to do.

I really do believe we are on the precipice of sliding into an authoritarian gov't; a quasi-fascist Christian neo-con state that will accelerate global warming, erode civil rights, destroy gov't oversight, alienate our European allies, embolden Putin and N. Korea, and so on. It can happen here.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
This has been a pretty awful, depressing week. Today the Burrito Supreme Court ruled the president is exempt from a whole raft of laws, and last week we saw the reanimated corpse of Joe Biden being operated remotely by a 12 year old with a soundboard. If there is a Light Yagami out there with a notebook, I have a bunch of names for you. Between the debate, today's SCROTEUS decision, and the 2025 playbook, I feel like we're in Ch. 1 of a dystopian novel. Or if there's a Johnny Smith out there, do what you have to do.

I really do believe we are on the precipice of sliding into an authoritarian gov't; a quasi-fascist Christian neo-con state that will accelerate global warming, erode civil rights, destroy gov't oversight, alienate our European allies, embolden Putin and N. Korea, and so on. It can happen here.
Did you read the SCOTUS ruling legalising bribery? Clarence Thomas signed on to that one, coincidentally.

gfactor86

none of this happened during Trump's first term.

gfactor86

its completely ridiculous, bordering on insanity, that the Democrats can allow him to continue as President.

If nothing else, the US is so vulnerable right now to have what is effectively a corpse running the country. Who is making the decisions here? Jill Biden?

gaffs

I agree. It is really depressing stuff.

Not to say a candidate change would overturn Trump's lead and win the election, but someone like Newsom or Josh Shapiro would at least give the Democrat's a fighting chance.

Someone has to step up and be able to really push home Trump's numerous flaws. Biden cant do it.

Trumps crimes, flaws, lies and record get pushed into the background, because many see Biden's age as a a far clearer issue.

Blood Mage

If Trump tried to make himself President for life you would like to think the military would step in and stop him but who knows at this point.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I agree. It is really depressing stuff.

Not to say a candidate change would overturn Trump's lead and win the election, but someone like Newsom or Josh Shapiro would at least give the Democrat's a fighting chance.

Someone has to step up and be able to really push home Trump's numerous flaws. Biden cant do it.

Trumps crimes, flaws, lies and record get pushed into the background, because many see Biden's age as a a far clearer issue.
It is.

Who's actually controlling the president. It sure is isnt Biden.

Aipac? Oligarch? Corporate?

gaffs

Biden debate catastrophe is not a freak accident. He is what he is even 4 years ago albeit slightly better.

He has been deteriorating rapidly and the democrats that sees and talks to him everyday knew this. This is not some sort of secret condition, his senility is for the whole world to see. Yet they pushed on taking dems voters like a bunch of morons who will vote for a corpse at all cost simply because the other party is Donald Trump.

And i dont even think Biden is at functional level to assess his own condition let alone reading daily briefing or even making executives decision. I dont even think he read what he signs when he cant even read a fecking teleprompter correctly. Biden wasnt a prominent figure that holds the card, the man can barely eat his salad. There's no way he has any sway on the party decision.

If Trump wins this is on the Democrats. My bet is that the Dems are using him to push their own micro agenda at the sake of the nation. It's not even about winning the election, they could have put any 45 years Democrats, you name it and he'll have bigger chance of winning.
Look at this clip from Meet the Press. I linked to the time....

Exactly as you said. Is was so more "fluid" in his thoughts and speech back in 2018, 2019 and even 2022. He seemd to have aged 10 years in the last two.

It is insane. I cant imagine an 81 year old working in my office, never mind expecting millions of people to vote for him as the "Leader of the Free World".

Yes, he sounded good at the SOTU and when reading from a teleprompter at events, but 50mil people saw that debate and it wont be forgotten.

Obama, Jill Biden, Hunter and those around him need to step in and tell him to stand down. Letting Trump back into the office will be beyond a catastrophe.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
You’re right, but that’s only because his 3 SCOTUS appointments didn’t into their groove until the last few years where they:

Reduced civil rights
Reduced reproductive rights
Reduced the ability to regulate climate issues
Reduced the ability to prosecute corruption

So yes, the conservative pipe dream is well on its way.

Suedesi

According to Axios:

• The only way President Biden steps aside, despite his debate debacle, is if the same small group of lifelong loyalists who enabled his run suddenly — and shockingly — decides it's time for him to call it quits.
Why it matters: Dr. Jill Biden; his younger sister, Valerie Biden; and 85-year-old Ted Kaufman, the president's longtime friend and constant adviser — plus a small band of White House advisers — are the only Biden deciders.

Behind the scenes: If Biden stays in, it's for the same reason he decided to run again: He and the oligarchy believe he has a much better chance of beating former President Trump than Vice President Harris does.

Biden — bolstered by a tweet from former President Obama ("Bad debate nights happen. Trust me, I know") — sounds like he wants to stick it out.

When we pressed Carville on whether he thinks Biden will be off the ticket by Election Day, he said he thinks so. He invoked a famous quote by the late economist Herb Stein, which Carville paraphrased as: "That which can't continue … won't."

gaffs

It is.

Who's actually controlling the president. It sure is isnt Biden.

Aipac? Oligarch? Corporate?
I don't think it is fair to say he is senile or anything like that. Or that he is a puppet controlled by special interests - Trump is far more of that because he guy has no moral compass - look what he is promising to give to Oil and Gas for the big donations. Trump would be happy for the who country to burn, as long as he got good TV ratings as it happens.

I think Biden knows what he is doing and has good people around him. Let's be fair, he and his administration have done a pretty good job post COVID.

The issue is, he is no longer a good spokesman for himself, his party, his record and most importantly the person to go head to head with a Trump - a man who lies constantly. You need someone sharp enough to be able to "prosecute Trump" based upton his record and be able to put across future plans.

gaffs

According to Axios:

• The only way President Biden steps aside, despite his debate debacle, is if the same small group of lifelong loyalists who enabled his run suddenly — and shockingly — decides it's time for him to call it quits.
Why it matters: Dr. Jill Biden; his younger sister, Valerie Biden; and 85-year-old Ted Kaufman, the president's longtime friend and constant adviser — plus a small band of White House advisers — are the only Biden deciders.

Behind the scenes: If Biden stays in, it's for the same reason he decided to run again: He and the oligarchy believe he has a much better chance of beating former President Trump than Vice President Harris does.

Biden — bolstered by a tweet from former President Obama ("Bad debate nights happen. Trust me, I know") — sounds like he wants to stick it out.

When we pressed Carville on whether he thinks Biden will be off the ticket by Election Day, he said he thinks so. He invoked a famous quote by the late economist Herb Stein, which Carville paraphrased as: "That which can't continue … won't."
Is the choise binary? Harris or Biden? Let it be decided at the convention.

Forget the polls today. Harris would turn out more voters than Biden. I just don't see a voter out there that would say, "im voting Biden or no one".

Like 2020, the biggest driver of Dem votes is Anti Trump - it was never "pro Biden". But many will stay home if the Dems don't offer a candidate who is seen to be fit enough to do the job.

Suedesi

Biden has won the votes, so he should be the Democratic Party nominee. The attempts by some party operatives to block his certification, despite him winning all the necessary votes in the 50 state primaries, are pure election interference. They’ve known about his decline for years—this isn’t about debates, it’s about Biden being down in the polls and likely to lose.

They don't care about democracy; they care about power. They've lied and manipulated the public for too long, and now it's catching up with them.

Suedesi

Forget the polls today. Harris would turn out more voters than Biden. I just don't see a voter out there that would say, "im voting Biden or no one".

Like 2020, the biggest driver of Dem votes is Anti Trump - it was never "pro Biden". But many will stay home if the Dems don't offer a candidate who is seen to be fit enough to do the job.
There's nothing to decide—Biden's got the delegates. The DNC effectively shut down the primaries, sidelining RFK, Dean Phillips, and any others. Now they're stuck with this giant turd.

gaffs

Biden has won the votes, so he should be the Democratic Party nominee. The attempts by some party operatives to block his certification, despite him winning all the necessary votes in the 50 state primaries, are pure election interference. They’ve known about his decline for years—this isn’t about debates, it’s about Biden being down in the polls and likely to lose.

They don't care about democracy; they care about power. They've lied and manipulated the public for too long, and now it's catching up with them.
This is BS. It is all about the debates.

Agree that some around him may have had doubts about him, but i don't think anyone knew he would pancake like he did.

Even Trump was building up Biden pre the debate, after calling him senile for the last two years. Turns out Trump had little to worry about.

Suedesi

Kamala :lol:

Laurencio

It did though.

EU leaders have communicated numerous times that they believe Europe needs to be ready for a situation where the US doesn't honour their commitments. At the moment EU NATO membets have a separate plan for militarization of the EU with the assumption that a Trump presidency could elect to ignore article 5 - based on his statements, which alarmed Republicans so much that they proposed and passed a bill that would enable Congress to overrule the president if article 5 was invoked.

It most definitely emboldened Russia. During Trump's presidency they comitted the largest cyber attack in history on the US government. No response by the US. Early on in his presidency the russia foreign minister was given intelligence briefings produced by a NATO ally, in the oval office. Which he is well within his rights to do, but it is highly unusual to share NATO intelligence with Russia and that is a very irregular channel to use.

The postal service was purposefully underfunded to ensure that voting by mail would be difficult. Something he himself admitted to.

Trump appointed 3 justices who have since been instrumental in changing decade long precedents and settled law regarding abortion, corruption, presidential immunity and regulation of emissions.

There was a well documented attempted coup and a determined effort to undermine the election.

its completely ridiculous, bordering on insanity, that the Democrats can allow him to continue as President.

If nothing else, the US is so vulnerable right now to have what is effectively a corpse running the country. Who is making the decisions here? Jill Biden?
Allow him? The Democrats have no power over the president, he is personally elected to the office - he doesn't serve the party.

Kamala :lol:

Somehow, I think an 81 year old Joe Biden eating a pudding cup on National TV would do better against Trump than Kamala would. He is probably right about being a better candidate than Kamala Harris.

foolsgold

It shouldn't be, but if she isn't willing to stand aside then it becomes nearly impossible to deny her, especially it'll be portrayed as because she's a black woman. Tossing in a middle aged white guy like Newsom plays dreadfully with black voters and feels quite illegitimate. I think they're screwed either way at this point, once Biden ran basically unopposed in the primaries, it closed off a lot of options. A contested primary with Newsom, Harris, Whitmeyer etc would have produced a viable candidate with mandate from the party. Biden and the people around him are to blame for things getting to this point.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
So, some polling numbers post-debate is starting to come in.

Trump +4 in Pennsylvania, Trump +2 in NH, in other words, a disaster.

gaffs

It shouldn't be, but if she isn't willing to stand aside then it becomes nearly impossible to deny her, especially it'll be portrayed as because she's a black woman. Tossing in a middle aged white guy like Newsom plays dreadfully with black voters and feels quite illegitimate. I think they're screwed either way at this point, once Biden ran basically unopposed in the primaries, it closed off a lot of options. A contested primary with Newsom, Harris, Whitmeyer etc would have produced a viable candidate with mandate from the party. Biden and the people around him are to blame for things getting to this point.
I don’t see that at all.

Should Biden pull out soon, and it would have to be soon, there would be a 4 weeks for any potentially candidates to put themselves forward before the Ohio ballot deadline of 7 August.

Being VP doesn’t mean you are the default candidate for the next election should an incumbent decide to not run.

I don’t pretend to know the feeling towards Kamala in black communities, but I don’t think people are particularly attracted to her given how low profile she has been.

A ticket with Booker on would do well.

gaffs

So, some polling numbers post-debate is starting to come in.

Trump +4 in Pennsylvania, Trump +2 in NH, in other words, a disaster.
it’s over. Trump only needs one of the swing states like Pennsylvania.

The only hope is if the rumoured tape of Trump backstage at the apprentice calling someone the n word materialises.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
it’s over. Trump only needs one of the swing states like Pennsylvania.

The only hope is if the rumoured tape of Trump backstage at the apprentice calling someone the n word materialises.
That would do nothing to his support.

Anyway, if polling gets as bad as it looks the next week or so, maybe someone will actually have a talk with Biden over stepping down or something...

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Anyway, if polling gets as bad as it looks the next week or so, maybe someone will actually have a talk with Biden over stepping down or something...
the campaign has said if polling drops after the debate, it is because of "media bedwetters".

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
It’s done. Honestly we should all be bracing ourselves for the consequences of another Trump presidency. The Democrats have yet again failed and been far too passive in their actions, and it’ll not only cost them power, but it will cost America and the world so much more.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Democrat primary voters were asked in 2020 if they wanted uncertain, scary change, or if they wanted the guarantee of beating Trump and stability. They overwhelmingly rejected big change and chose what they saw as a steady hand.

The US was asked later the same year if they wanted loud incompetence or a quiet status quo. They marginally chose the status quo.

The exact same thing happened in 2016 too, except the people wanting the status quo weren't distributed in a geographically optimal way.

For all those calling for Biden to do something drastic about the court, that is not his personality, or belief, or the mandate his party base and the American public have given him. This is what he's in power to do.
"Nothing will fundamentally change" is what he told his top fundraisers, referring to their lifestyles.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
I don’t see that at all.

Should Biden pull out soon, and it would have to be soon, there would be a 4 weeks for any potentially candidates to put themselves forward before the Ohio ballot deadline of 7 August.

Being VP doesn’t mean you are the default candidate for the next election should an incumbent decide to not run.

I don’t pretend to know the feeling towards Kamala in black communities, but I don’t think people are particularly attracted to her given how low profile she has been.

A ticket with Booker on would do well.
In general not particularly, but she is a member of one of the Divine 9 sororities/fraternities which are the group of historically black Greek organizations that are very active and did rally around her. The total membership is maybe around 4 million but they are a well-educated, politically active group as a whole that can help get out the vote in urban areas of Southern states especially. I wouldn't be surprised if that helped Biden win Georgia by ~10K votes in 2020.