2024 U.S. Elections | Trump v Harris

The focus on the VP pick being photogenic is frankly bizarre. Arguably the most photogenic VP pick ever, Sarah Palin, was a complete disaster.

Likewise, despite being a complete weirdo, Vance looks just fine, but its not getting him anywhere.

Wins over progressives without having to change any policy on Gaza. The fact progressives online are happy about the pick probably means it’s a bad choice for the election.
I just whatsapped my partner along these lines :lol:

“Harris has chosen her VP and it’s Walz which is great news all round because he’s the progressive pick. Great news for us and great news for Trump”

Shapiro wasn't helping to 'bring a state' either. Dems regularly elected governor there. Beshear more applicable to that reasoning.

Disagree. Shapiro has a 61% approval rate. The state is 50/50 in the polls between Harris and Trump, which shows a delta of Trump voters that approve of Shapiro. Peel some of those away from Trump in a state that was won by around 1% in the last two generals and you see having a popular Governor on the ticket could make the difference.

Beshear wouldn't bring Kentucky. Harris could put Colonel Sanders on the ticket and she she still wouldn't win Kentucky.

The focus on the VP pick being photogenic is frankly bizarre. Arguably the most photogenic VP pick ever, Sarah Palin, was a complete disaster.
She did energize the McCain campaign for a while, then Katie Couric and SNL ended her.

Speaking strictly about ‘vibes’, I think Shapiro is a better pick, two young, slick, photogenic politicians is a nice contrast to grumpy 78 year old Diaper Don. If he didn’t have the Israel/union baggages I reckon it would have been his.

We know that. But Trump is judged on a different set of rules and principles.
This has been the problem since Day 1 of Trump in politics.

Seriously, if she thinks that Walz is the best person, then that should be the key factor. She shouldn’t pick Shapiro because he’s Jewish, just like she shouldn’t deny him because he’s Jewish.

Also, the idea that the VP delivers the home state has been pretty much scientifically disproven.

Why VPs Matter Less Than You Think

Our conclusion: While presidential candidates typically enjoy a home-state advantage (approximately 3 points to 7 points), vice presidential candidates generally do not. In each of the three analyses described above, a presidential ticket performs no better in the vice presidential candidate’s home state than we would expect otherwise. Statistically speaking, the effect is zero.

I do.
Every attack that reinforces a perception works.
I'm going to have to disagree again. That kind of stuff works with his base, but it turns off independent voters. Anyone with a brain won't buy that Harris hates Jews, when she actually decided to marry one.

Disagree. Shapiro has a 61% approval rate. The state is 50/50 in the polls between Harris and Trump, which shows a delta of Trump voters that approve of Shapiro. Peel some of those away from Trump in a state that was won by around 1% in the last two generals and you see having a popular Governor on the ticket could make the difference.

Beshear wouldn't bring Kentucky. Harris could put Colonel Sanders on the ticket and she she still wouldn't win Kentucky.

Last i've looked, his approval came down over last few weeks, probably due to recent weeks of scrutiny, 49%, which isn't bad by any means, but his previous approvals could be a tad bit overrated.

Feel like it's a "meh" choice from a "meh" candidate.

I hope I'm wrong.

If she loses PA, she will probably lose the election, so selecting Walz would obviously come under scrutiny. Fortunately, the Dems still have Shapiro to campaign for her in PA and he has a 90% popularity rating among Dem voters so that will count for a lot.

Which is exaclty the point. She has to win PA so push as many chips toward winning PA as you can.

Having Shapiro as a running mate holds far more weight with PA voters than him simply being on the stump for her. Especially in a state that will be won by a tiny margin.

The out of swing state left wing of the party have pushed her towards a poor pick. Bernie 2.0.

Relatable is usually the thing you hear. The old "would you want to have a beer with them" question.
Does Harris drink? She certainly has the wine mom vibe but I don't know that I've ever seen her with a drink in her hand. Do people ever attempt wine glass photo opps the way they do with beer?

A washing machine would have more charisma than JD Vance, so the idea was not to shoot yourself in the foot and she didn't.

As usual though, some posters are acting butt hurt because it wasn't their guy who got the nod.

The independents in America certainly have a gut wrenching choice now.

One one hand, a convicted felon, rapist, serial philanderer & a self hating racist who is happy working for “America’s Hitler”

And on the other hand, a bi-racial woman and a veteran / teacher / coach / dad

I’d hate to be in their shoes right now

Which is exaclty the point. She has to win PA so push as many chips toward winning PA as you can.

Having Shapiro as a running mate holds far more weight with PA voters than him simply being on the stump for her. Especially in a state that will be won by a tiny margin.

Just trust in Nancy Pelosi, she was the main player in having Biden drop out, and then more or less endorsed Walz before Harris made her choice.

She knows politics.

Hmmm. Not sure if he's the best choice for this election tbh..

But speculation over and a decision has finally been made. Hope they can pull it off.

Does Harris drink? She certainly has the wine mom vibe but I don't know that I've ever seen her with a drink in her hand. Do people ever attempt wine glass photo opps the way they do with beer?

Pretty sure she drinks wine. She's done a lot of cooking videos on your YouTube page and I thought I saw her sipping away at one point.

Walz just seems very tough to dislike. As long as he holds up under pressure and they vetted properly, should be fine.

Why he is getting likes i don't know, is this his line of attack?

The point of attack for Rs is now very clear. They can brand both Harris and Walz as far left libs and double down on Walz's policies. That will play very well in MAGA world.

Wins over progressives without having to change any policy on Gaza. The fact progressives online are happy about the pick probably means it’s a bad choice for the election.

Usually I'd agree, but I think Walz has broader appeal than a 'generic' progressive. Think he has the ability to reach a lot of the abandoned working class that have turned to Republicans and see the Dems as the party of the elites. He's not a purist and has a record of successful cross party engagement. He held a rural, traditionally Republican, House seat for six consecutive terms. He also seems to have a huge amount of goodwill from people that have worked for and with him.

This guy has the ability to persuade.