2024 U.S. Elections | Trump v Harris

John Heilemann reporting that the choice will be between Walz & Shapiro.

Last edited:
Continued recessionary talk and prospects will be disastrous for Kamala.

Markets in turmoil. An emergency fed rate cut looking increasingly likely.

Perhaps, but voter sentiment on the Economy (even if irrational) is one of the biggest weaknesses for Dems.

Saw part of a vid of massively homophobic ranting from her the other day, thought it was just some random bigot but she's actually a candidate?
Yep, no clue as to how she is doing.

But, Missouri is red so she defo has a chance.

Did we even comment when the Dow broke 40k for the first time under Biden?

If we are heading towards a recession, it will be THE factor in the election. It will benefit Trump.
Won't be called an actual recession until after the election, but, you are right, an economic downturn over the next three months won't be helpful.

Lots of opposition for Shapiro within the Party. Kelly likely won't be a factor.

Will come down to Beshear or Walz.

Where is the opposition to Shapiro? From a few people on Twitter because he is Jewish and he made comments about Palestinians 30 years ago?

I just don't get it with Tim Walz. The next Tim Kaine. Will give Kamala nothing.

Where is the opposition to Shapiro? From a few people on Twitter because he is Jewish and he made comments about Palestinians 30 years ago?

I just don't get it with Tim Walz. The next Tim Kaine. Will give Kamala nothing.

There's some speculation on Twitter that Kelly is out after he posted a tweet yesterday saying he's committed to helping Arizonans. The tweet was quickly deleted.

Won't be called an actual recession until after the election, but, you are right, an economic downturn over the next three months won't be helpful.

It will be by Trump and you know that media are not strong enough to fight any narrative that he creates.

We know that Trump measures financial success of the country based on the stock market (that is if the argument benefits him).

What we have to remember, and what Democrats have to remind people is that on election day 2020 the Dow was at 26k. When Biden took office it was at 30k. It is now at 39k. So your 401k has increased by over 25% under Biden / Harris.

Fetterman believes Shapiro puts himself over the party. His comments on Israel may likely antagonize certain section of the voters. Plus Teachers Unions have taken a stance against school vouchers issue.

Nothing really big, but these niggling issues will be a unwanted distraction.

I love that you call all criticism of Shapiro antisemitic, while describing the explicitly racist comments Shapiro made "comments about Palestinians". In the same sentence! Poetic juxtaposition.

Fetterman believes Shapiro puts himself over the party. His comments on Israel may likely antagonize certain section of the voters. Plus Teachers Unions have taken a stance against school vouchers issue.

Nothing really big, but these niggling issues will be a unwanted distraction.

The usual circular firing squad from Democrats.

What is Fetterman going to say if Harris passes over Shapiro (who has a very strong approval rating in PA) and goes on to lose the state and thus the election?

I don't think he's uttered two or three correct statements so far. Two trains with an aeroplane crashing into them type of campaign.
iu

I love that you call all criticism of Shapiro antisemitic, while describing the explicitly racist comments Shapiro made "comments about Palestinians". In the same sentence! Poetic juxtaposition.

I didn't say the criticism of Shapiro was "antisemitic". It is just a fact right now that there are some on the left that would not be happy with a Jewish pick, given the current war. This has been pointed out before....

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/cnns-jo...risk-in-harris-picking-jewish-governor-as-vp/

And that is despite Shapiro calling Netanyahu “one of the worst leaders of all time.”...
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2024/07/josh-shapiro-netanyahu-jewish-vp/679300/

Are Shapiro's comments re Palestinians "explicitly racist" as you say?

I didn't say the criticism of Shapiro was "antisemitic". It is just a fact right now that there are some on the left that would not be happy with a Jewish pick, given the current war. This has been pointed out before....

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/cnns-jo...risk-in-harris-picking-jewish-governor-as-vp/

And that is despite Shapiro calling Netanyahu “one of the worst leaders of all time.”...
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2024/07/josh-shapiro-netanyahu-jewish-vp/679300/

Are Shapiro's comments re Palestinians "explicitly racist" as you say?

Yes, you did. Brushing off all criticism of Shapiro "because he's Jewish" is an accusation of antisemitism. Your Netanyahu point is a very poor attempt at deflection. Why exactly does Shapiro think Netanyahu is a bad leader?

Yes, it's explicitly racist. He called the Palestinian people inherently hateful, and incapable of peace and self governance.

Yes, you did. Brushing off all criticism of Shapiro "because he's Jewish" is an accusation of antisemitism. Your Netanyahu point is a very poor attempt at deflection. Why exactly does Shapiro think Netanyahu is a bad leader?

Yes, it's explicitly racist. He called the Palestinian people inherently hateful, and incapable of peace and self governance.

So what would you call the campaign against Shapiro from some in the left wing of the party?

They didn't brand him No School Vouchers Josh. They are labeling him Genocide Josh, because somehow they feel he is "pro war"......

https://nogenocidejosh.com/

When has he said he was "pro war'?

This is despite him wanting a two state solution and his strong criticism of Netanyahu.

Read the Atlantic article i posted.

Where did he call Palestinians "inherently hateful". Please provide link.

So what would you call the campaign against Shapiro from some in the left wing of the party?

They didn't brand him No School Vouchers Josh. They are labeling him Genocide Josh, because somehow they feel he is "pro war"......

This is despite him wanting a two state solution and his strong criticism of Netanyahu.

It's in the essay, obviously.

Rosenberg's article has been posted here before, and has been responded to before.

I don't think that will happen. She won't lose just because she didn't pick Josh. He'd still campaign for her irrespective.

You don't know that, and of course there will be more than just the VP pick as a factor.

Biden won PA by 1.17% in 2020. And Trump beat Clinton by 0.72% in 2016. So it is razor thin.

Current polls have PA more or less a tie.

Shapiro has a 61% approval rate. Assuming that everyone who will vote for Harris, are pro Shapiro, then there is a delta there showing that over 20% of Republicans approve of Shapiros. One would think that gives Harris scope to pick up some of those voters with Shapiro on the ticket.

Yes, he will stump for her regardless, but that doesn't carry as much sway as being on the ticket.

Specifically, what he will help her with, is those old comments she made about wanting to ban fracking.

He may not have said that particular line, but do you not think these quotes are racist and say much the same thing?

“Palestinians will not coexist peacefully,” Shapiro wrote. “They do not have the capabilities to establish their own homeland and make it successful even with the aid of Israel and the United States. They are too battle-minded to be able to establish a peaceful homeland of their own.”

Or how about

In the article, Shapiro said Arafat was “an egotistical, power-hungry tyrant who is in danger of being assassinated by his fellow belligerent Arabs because he does not represent the majority opinion.”

He continued, writing that “the only way a ‘peace plan’ will be successful is if the Palestinians do not ruin it.”
https://www.inquirer.com/politics/e...aza-peace-column-vice-president-20240802.html

And the below tweet suggests he may not have had a change of heart until some point after 2011