2024 U.S. Elections | Trump v Harris

She has stated that she has no intention of running. That said, at what point is there an obligation to run? if you were the only one who was polled to beat Trump and stop him getting a 2nd term.

The hypothetical polls should be ignored. Dees Nuts was polling 10% in 2016, which goes to show you can drop just about any name into a polling question and they will do moderately well based on name recognition. The likes of Michelle Obama, Sheryl Sandberg, and a few others routinely get name dropped because they have allies in media who want to see them run, despite the fact that they themselves are both unqualified and uninterested in anything to do with politics.

Wonder if the left leaning centrists who were so quick to crucify corbyn on the altar of electability will be so quick to move against Biden.

The hypothetical polls should be ignored. Dees Nuts was polling 10% in 2016, which goes to show you can drop just about any name into a polling question and they will do moderately well based on name recognition. The likes of Michelle Obama, Sheryl Sandberg, and a few others routinely get name dropped because they have allies in media who want to see them run, despite the fact that they themselves are both unqualified and uninterested in anything to do with politics.

I weirdly do actually think Michelle Obama would beat Trump if she ran right now. Of course she won't, so it's completely moot.

I weirdly do actually think Michelle Obama would beat Trump if she ran right now. Of course she won't, so it's completely moot.

I 100% believe so too. As you say, no point in entertaining it but Barack back - if only as a First Gent would be : drool :

The MAGA crew would go (even more) insane.

I do not understand America's obsession with first ladies. I mean, how on Earth, having Michelle Obama as a president would be a good idea? But somehow, she looks like Democrats best bet of winning the election, despite that she has never held any elected office on her life, or run any business. Her credentials are: wife of a former president.

What happened to running a good candidate on their policies? The last time that happened, I guess was in 2008 when Obama won with the largest margin this century.

I do not understand America's obsession with first ladies. I mean, how on Earth, having Michelle Obama as a president would be a good idea? But somehow, she looks like Democrats best bet of winning the election, despite that she has never held any elected office on her life, or run any business. Her credentials are: wife of a former president.

What happened to running a good candidate on their policies? The last time that happened, I guess was in 2008 when Obama won with the largest margin this century.

This one was addressed in Back to the Future.

'No wonder you have an actor for a president, they have to look good on TV'

The thought that she might do well is grounded in the idea that she is largely a-political and hasn't been scrutinized in any political context. Once that happens, her numbers would fall off a cliff given her previous lack of experience in any meaningful job that could justify her as POTUS. Also, the R's would attack her mercilessly on everything from her previous 2008 comment about not being proud of America, to right wing memes that she has a penis. It would be ugliest campaign ever.

Wonder if the left leaning centrists who were so quick to crucify corbyn on the altar of electability will be so quick to move against Biden.
Probably not, they’ll probably point to the fact he won the election in 2020 with the most votes anyone ever got, by a long shot, and claim this is “just a case of now being too old.”

Its part of the Schwarzenegger, Ventura, Trump phenonoma, where its somehow acceptable for people with no political experience to run for office based strictly on their celebrity appeal.

These Michelle Obama polls require believing that around 6-8% people who would vote for Trump over any other Dem candidate would suddenly jump ship and vote for Michelle but only Michele could get them to switch from voting Trump. I'm not buying that as I don't believe that group of people actually exists.

I just find this to be a strange way to think. Caving in to 'Biden's too old durrrr'.

Imagine if it came out that Biden killed 30 dogs back in the 1970s,.and 80% of the population goes "eww we don't want a guy who killed 80 dogs as president." Presumably no one would characterize replacing him as "caving in to'eww Biden kills dogs durr'."

They've basically ended up in a lose-lose.

Keep Biden and he loses, replace him and he loses. It's ridiculous it's gotten this far and they should've seen this coming but here we are.

It's not just the internet memery of 'Biden's too old durr', I just phrased it that way. People have had legitimate concerns and would have them even if he was entirely lucid and fine, he's 81. It's just easy for the right wing and media to pile it on so all those that don't pay that much attention but might vote (i.e. the ones he/Dems need) won't bother because the stories will get to them no matter how engaged they are.

It doesn't matter too much with Trump because he's just Trump, you either vote for him or you don't but Democrats have history of grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory and very recent history at that.

The answer is surely simple: Dwayne Johnson.

He's a Republican so no

if all the fascism, 2025, yada yada is credible, it's curious why it isn't seen as a bigger deal. here is a woman who, polls show, consistently, could stop what many people think is the end of democracy. yet these same people have been far more concerned about winning individual voters who don't like biden, than winning over one person who supposedly has a 10% vote advantage over biden.

The latests crackpot plan - this time by Alan Lichtman, is for Biden to resign and make Harris the POTUS now, so that she can enhance her chances of winning by way of being an incumbent.

That’s a bit harsh. She has a law degree from Harvard (I think ???) and held a variety of roles in local government in Chicago.

Nothing close to presidential experience, but more than just “Barack’s wife)

That’s a bit harsh. She has a law degree from Harvard (I think ???) and held a variety of roles in local government in Chicago.

Nothing close to presidential experience, but more than just “Barack’s wife)

She does have a Harvard degree, but all things said, her job experience is light in any meaningful POTUS context. At least Hillary did an 8 year stint as a US Senator and 4 as SecState as a launching point into her POTUS campaign.

The answer is surely simple: Dwayne Johnson.

How about Tom Hanks? Lincoln's descendant. Honorary ranger. Ordained minister. Church goer. As a bonus, we won't have that much of his most recent work.

if all the fascism, 2025, yada yada is credible, it's curious why it isn't seen as a bigger deal. here is a woman who, polls show, consistently, could stop what many people think is the end of democracy. yet these same people have been far more concerned about winning individual voters who don't like biden, than winning over one person who supposedly has a 10% vote advantage over biden.

Because I don't think anyone really believes Michelle polling is an accurate reflection of what it would be if she were to enter politics instead if being completely removed from it.

The right has had field days with her 10-15 years ago, and while she is no Hilary, if she were to enter she'd have a lot more baggage than a Newsom or Whitmer, especially because she has zero experience in anything political.

Good listen between the Mooch and Katy Kay about the future. The Mooch seems to be all in behind Harris.

Because I don't think anyone really believes Michelle polling is an accurate reflection of what it would be if she were to enter politics instead if being completely removed from it.

The right has had field days with her 10-15 years ago, and while she is no Hilary, if she were to enter she'd have a lot more baggage than a Newsom or Whitmer, especially because she has zero experience in anything political.

On the other hand, her husband is the most popular political figure in the US, and these numbers have been pretty consistent. And the people who think she's a trans woman married to a trans man prostitute aren't going to decide the election. Even the people who remember her growing a garden to force SALAD on INNOCENT KIDS are so deep in Fox News, they aren't the election deciders.

Nobody expects a 11 point win, like that poll suggests. As the US gets more polarised purely along partisan lines, both parties have a 40 something percent floor (if biden continues, we might find what it is in November) and a low 50s ceiling. Trump's personal ceiling seems under 50%.

But Trump (and Biden) are hated more intensely than other politicians. You could argue, and you would be partially correct, that this is due to exposure, but it's also due to their personality, visible incompetence, etc.
In an election where the choice is the two most unpopular nominees in US presidential history, one party getting the chance to replace their dead weight with, by all accounts, a less repulsive option, would be a massive boost. And, again, if the stake is democracy itself, she needs to set her personal feelings aside. (just like voters apprently must support a genocide to defend democracy...)

On the other hand, her husband is the most popular political figure in the US, and these numbers have been pretty consistent. And the people who think she's a trans woman married to a trans man prostitute aren't going to decide the election.

Nobody expects a 11 point win. As the US gets more polarised purely along partisan lines, both parties have a 40 something percent floor (if biden continues, we might find what it is in November) and a low 50s ceiling.

But Trump (and Biden) are hated more intensely than other politicians. You could argue, and you would be partially correct, that this is due to exposure, but it's also due to their personality, visible incompetence, etc.
In an election where the choice is the two most unpopular nominees in US presidential history, one party getting the chance to replace their dead weight with, by all accounts, a less repulsive option, would be a massive boost. And, again, if the stake is democracy itself, she needs to set her personal feelings aside. (just like voters apprently must support a genocide to defend democracy...)

She's not a politician and her current numbers would plummet before she even announced, once the media and right wingers start chipping away at her. This is in the same category of pie in the sky fanaticism as. those who think Oprah should run.

Would be hilarious if dictator Trump removed the two term limit and proceeded to be absolutely annihilated by Obama in 2028

Good listen between the Mooch and Katy Kay about the future. The Mooch seems to be all in behind Harris.

Speaking of the Mooch, he's taking part in an incredibly cringe crypto version of Shark Tank/Dragon's Den called Killer Whales. Watching that has pretty much convinced me that he's a complete joke. It's such a big failure that it's not even on his Wikipedia article.

you guys like celebrities and like treating your presidents and family like royalty, either glamorous, or chivalric. live a little and admit it!

The difference is that right wingers are culturally homogenous and completely fixated on their desire to win. The Dems are fractured into several competing factions and don't really have a dominant bloc that can support a non-traditional candidate.

She does have a Harvard degree, but all things said, her job experience is light in any meaningful POTUS context. At least Hillary did an 8 year stint as a US Senator and 4 as SecState as a launching point into her POTUS campaign.

wouldn‘t that also be extremely positive for many people? I personally love it when actual people get into politics and not just the carreer politicians who basically never did anything productive. Also, I genuinely believe that you‘d need many qualities to be a good president/get elected as POTUS, but being an established politician isn‘t one of those qualities. Many people could do a good job. Just look how Joe almost can‘t talk anymore yet he can look back on a pretty decent presidency

wouldn‘t that also be extremely positive for many people? I personally love it when actual people get into politics and not just the carreer politicians who basically never did anything productive. Also, I genuinely believe that you‘d need many qualities to be a good president/get elected as POTUS, but being an established politician isn‘t one of those qualities. Many people could do a good job. Just look how Joe almost can‘t talk anymore yet he can look back on a pretty decent presidency

Its helpful when people have business backgrounds, but simply having a law degree and being Obama's wife isn't remotely sufficient.

Would be hilarious if dictator Trump removed the two term limit and proceeded to be absolutely annihilated by Obama in 2028
How can he do that?

22nd amendment

1. No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice, and no person who has held the office of President, or acted as President, for more than two years of a term to which some other person was elected President shall be elected to the office of the President more than once. But this Article shall not apply to any person holding the office of President when this Article was proposed by the Congress, and shall not prevent any person who may be holding the office of President, or acting as President, during the term within which this Article becomes operative from holding the office of President or acting as President during the remainder of such term.

2. This article shall be inoperative unless it shall have been ratified as an amendment to the Constitution by the legislatures of three-fourths of the several States within seven years from the date of its submission to the States by the Congress.

Not even Clarence Thomas will be able to justify that getting elected more than twice is constitutionally allowed.

In 2016 you could have said the same thing about Trump TBH

The difference is that right wingers are culturally homogenous and completely fixated on their desire to win. The Dems are fractured into several competing factions and don't really have a dominant bloc that can support a non-traditional candidate.

This is outdated and wrong and a really incomplete view of the right's factions!

The latests crackpot plan - this time by Alan Lichtman, is for Biden to resign and make Harris the POTUS now, so that she can enhance her chances of winning by way of being an incumbent.

I agree with one part it, have Biden resign now and let Harris be president for the remaining of the term.
She could make a speech that being a president is a big responsibility, and there are many challenges ahead, so she prioritizes that over campaigning etc.

Would be difficult to have her agree to that, i suppose, but it would be ideal.

In 2016 you could have said the same thing about Trump TBH
Trump at least had several decades of business experience leading (at times to bankrupt) large companies worth billions of dollars.. And still lots of people found him not qualified for president.

Michelle is basically Barak's wife. Her CV starts and ends there.

There's one dominant faction on the right called MAGA that controls the GOP. Do you disagree ?

That's true, but there are deep ideological divisions under it, just like with the other side....Whatever the ideological divisions of the Dems, they are united for Biden. The base voters and the party members. Even after his visible public dementia. That is genuinely extraordinary!

How can he do that?

Not even Clarence Thomas will be able to justify that getting elected more than twice is constitutionally allowed.
It was a joke