2024 Summer Olympics (Paris)

My summary:

1. Best (and certainly most unique) opening ceremony.
2. Best Olympic Games, at least since 1996
3. Best closing ceremony
4. Best handover

Merci, Paris. Merci La France! Rendez-vous à Los Angeles!

Terrible opening and even worse closing ceremonies.

Total shite compared to London 2012.

Interesting that London is often mentioned when people talk about how much they didn’t like the opening/closing ceremony.

Must be co-incidence.

Netherlands have more gold medals than countries 5-10 times their size and are sixth on the medal table…

Germany is an embarrassment this olympics.

These Olympics were great. Hopefully we (LA) can match the peaks while avoiding some of the troughs. The Olympics bring the world together, in my opinion, even with all the doping scandals. Surfing, skateboarding, climbing were all good additions. I love the Olympics unironically, and it’s nice to be able to cheer on your own country without reservations.

I understand that you Brits think that self-indulgent pile of shite was amazing, but did it also make you unable to objectively evaluate everything else?

These Olympics were great. Hopefully we (LA) can match the peaks while avoiding some of the troughs. The Olympics bring the world together, in my opinion, even with all the doping scandals. Surfing, skateboarding, climbing were all good additions. I love the Olympics unironically, and it’s nice to be able to cheer on your own country without reservations.
Here here

That Tom Cruise part was great.
Loved these games but then again we watch a fair amount of track & field in our house so we love it all. Every Olympics is great.
Will miss these ones now.
Wonder what LA 28 will look like.

Last edited:
I've been glued to this and it's been such a joy to watch. Sad that it's over, but what a great experience. Enjoyed it from start to finish.

London 2012 read like a who’s who of pop music superstars.

Paris only highlight being Tom Cruise jumping out of an aircraft and he’s about as French as the Queen of England’s tits.

The only thing the vast majority of non-Brits remember about it is that Mr Bean was there.

I think 2012 and 2024 have a lot in common in terms of resonance.

The opening ceremony at London celebrated an idea of Britishness from Bond to the Queen to the NHS. Paris celebrated Paris (though I hope it worked for French people in general)

London majored on crowd vibes and volunteers. Paris did the same but added in more gambles on the setting - like using the Seine in competition and putting the skateboard park on the Place de la Concorde.

I loved it. Probably because after the COVID dominated Tokyo games and a couple of Olympics away from a European timezone I was ready for it.

But I do think they pulled off a great event and I suspect there's massive relief in France at how well it went. The crowds were magnificent as well, which given some of the pre-event doom and gloom predictions was great to see.

I think 2012 and 2024 have a lot in common in terms of resonance.

The opening ceremony at London celebrated an idea of Britishness from Bond to the Queen to the NHS. Paris celebrated Paris (though I hope it worked for French people in general)

London majored on crowd vibes and volunteers. Paris did the same but added in more gambles on the setting - like using the Seine in competition and putting the skateboard park on the Place de la Concorde.

I loved it. Probably because after the COVID dominated Tokyo games and a couple of Olympics away from a European timezone I was ready for it.

But I do think they pulled off a great event and I suspect there's massive relief in France at how well it went. The crowds were magnificent as well, which given some of the pre-event doom and gloom predictions was great to see.
Yeah I think it was a pretty big success. I was really worried about the security aspect but they've somehow managed that quite well. Crowds and energy was quite good. Some great stories and moments/memes. Only negatives were the Dutch rapist and the boxing controversy, the latter of which has been handled decently by the IOC from what I've read. Also the gymnastics bronze medal controversy.

Yeah I think it was a pretty big success. I was really worried about the security aspect but they've somehow managed that quite well. Crowds and energy was quite good. Some great stories and moments/memes. Only negatives were the Dutch rapist and the boxing controversy, the latter of which has been handled decently by the IOC from what I've read. Also the gymnastics bronze medal controversy.
And the Seine.

But I agree it was a big success.

Agree. Best Olympics in my lifetime. The best in regards to top sporting moments since Beijing 2008 but without the heavy handed political show offing from that iteration.

The stages and elegance of Paris will not be topped by any Olympics anytime soon. Few cities in the world car pull out a Grand Palais or Chateau de Versailles for sporting events. I hope that LA 2028 acepts this and doesn't try to go the Disneyland route. Make sure the public has the best experience possible and find a way to make public transportation available for all and let the athletes shine for themselves. And use the one thing that Paris doesn't have, the ocean, to get that visual advantage.